Dell Demps and Keyon Dooling Hired

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,737

Dell Demps and Keyon Dooling Hired 

Post#1 » by AingesBurner » Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:12 pm

As assistant coaches, surprise role for Demps who has no coaching experience.

Any thoughts on Dooling as player development coach?
Ingles is cooked.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,277

Re: Dell Demps and Keyon Dooling Hired 

Post#2 » by babyjax13 » Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:21 pm

Seem like random choices. Liked Dooling as a player, he kinda sucked, but always seemed to try hard.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Post#3 » by KqWIN » Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:37 pm

GM to assistant coach is a weird path...but both hires make sense because both have history with Quin. Demps was with Quin in Austin and Dooling played for Quin at Missouri. It's really impossible to tell how good assistants are. The only way to know if they're good is if they get a promotion on their next job.
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#4 » by babyjax13 » Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:44 am

Dooling's player's tribune article, probably one of the best (and a very gut-wrenching one) reads on there:
https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en-us/articles/keyon-dooling-the-ghost

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,462

Post#5 » by Inigo Montoya » Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:19 am

I have no issue with these signings but we need more talent in the front office and on the roster than we do in the coaching staff.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#6 » by AingesBurner » Sat Sep 26, 2020 2:31 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:I have no issue with these signings but we need more talent in the front office and on the roster than we do in the coaching staff.

I honestly think finding front office talent is the hardest thing to do in the NBA.
Ingles is cooked.
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#7 » by KqWIN » Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:56 pm

The Mike Conley trade was horrific, but I also think the coaching staff needed to be much better. Let's be real here, this team underperformed relative to their talent. You cannot tell me this team was playing their best throughout the season and in the bubble. As bad as that Conley trade was, the FO did put together a team that could compete with the leagues best. Hell, if Bogey didn't get injured we might be in a tight series right now. So for all of the flaws and failures of the FO, I think they actually built a good enough team to compete and the failure came from this team being unable to perform.

Quin and the coaching staff need to be better. Quin lost the team before the break. Players were saying how they didn't care about winning in public interviews. Our chemistry was terrible. It actually got better in the bubble, but tactically I think we're a step behind the rest of the league. We're too one dimensional, especially on the defense. Rudy will take all the heat for everything bad that happens to the Jazz, but the reality is that we play a specific style that is good but has no versatility.
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#8 » by babyjax13 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:11 am

KqWIN wrote:The Mike Conley trade was horrific, but I also think the coaching staff needed to be much better. Let's be real here, this team underperformed relative to their talent. You cannot tell me this team was playing their best throughout the season and in the bubble. As bad as that Conley trade was, the FO did put together a team that could compete with the leagues best. Hell, if Bogey didn't get injured we might be in a tight series right now. So for all of the flaws and failures of the FO, I think they actually built a good enough team to compete and the failure came from this team being unable to perform.

Quin and the coaching staff need to be better. Quin lost the team before the break. Players were saying how they didn't care about winning in public interviews. Our chemistry was terrible. It actually got better in the bubble, but tactically I think we're a step behind the rest of the league. We're too one dimensional, especially on the defense. Rudy will take all the heat for everything bad that happens to the Jazz, but the reality is that we play a specific style that is good but has no versatility.

Teams with big changes to their identities often take a while to engage (e.g. Miami post big-3) so I don't really have a problem with the adjustment period being long and rough. But, I don't think this team is talented enough to be anything other than a threat to make the WCF. But, that is a big improvement, and I think an admirable goal. e.g. imagine making the WCF this year and Davis or LeBron gets injured - suddenly you are punching a ticket to the finals against the Heat. Could we beat the Heat? I'd bet against us, but I think the odds would be good enough that you don't think it's impossible, just unlikely.

JColl
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#9 » by KqWIN » Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:47 am

Jazz hire another FO member to the coaching staff. Reading that this guy was Philly's analytics guy.

Read on Twitter
AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#10 » by AingesBurner » Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:57 am

KqWIN wrote:Jazz hire another FO member to the coaching staff. Reading that this guy was Philly's analytics guy.

Read on Twitter

Another odd, soon enough Morey will join the coaching staff.
Ingles is cooked.
SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,017

Post#11 » by SoCalJazzFan » Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:00 pm

KqWIN wrote:Jazz hire another FO member to the coaching staff. Reading that this guy was Philly's analytics guy.

Read on Twitter

I didn’t even know they had coaches that were just analytics guys. Could this be a convenient way for the head coach to tell a player, e.g. Gobert, that hey, we’re not going to start you vs this hyper fast small ball team as Coach Analytics tells me we have to play so and so player instead?
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#12 » by KqWIN » Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:05 pm

SoCalJazzFan wrote:

Read on Twitter

I didn’t even know they had coaches that were just analytics guys. Could this be a convenient way for the head coach to tell a player, e.g. Gobert, that hey, we’re not going to start you vs this hyper fast small ball team as Coach Analytics tells me we have to play so and so player instead?

I think the idea behind having an analytics guy on the coaching staff is to have a better handoff/exchange from the analytics staff to the players/coaches. It's how analytics are now being deployed in business so it makes sense that this idea is making it's way to the league. The knowledge transfer is much smoother between analytical and non-analytical people.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,462

Post#13 » by Inigo Montoya » Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:02 pm

It's so when the players ask: "coach, we do you want us the run this play? It's dumb," Snyder could say, "talk to the analytics guy."
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#14 » by babyjax13 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:04 am

I actually think it might signal a shift in philosophy by Snyder after the playoffs. It's just a hunch, but my feeling is that the organization, and Snyder specifically, feels like we should have beat the Nuggets, and they are looking for any edge to figure out how to get over the hump. I like it, and I like the unorthodox hires.

JColl
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#15 » by KqWIN » Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:01 pm

I definitely think we need a shift in defensive philosophy. We play one way and one way only. It’s very effective in the regular season (and usually in the postseason), but we don’t have any counters or wrinkles. Snyder had the better team and matchup but still found a way to lose.

Return to Utah Jazz