General Manager
And1: 1,917

Re: 2020 Offseason Strategy Thread 

Post#381 » by arkuo » Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:14 pm

Mr B wrote:
dirkforpres wrote:
Read on Twitter

Ugh keep him far away

I disagree, and apparently the Mavs disagree with you too. He’s the exact kind of player that we need. He apologized to Luka personally and if Luka is ok with adding him to the team then I’m ok with it too. I’m more concerned with the price tag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree. Dennis Rodman was part of the Bad Boys team that beat the heck out of MJ but eventually they still became teammates.

Since LAC cant keep both Morris and Harrell since they dont have cap space, I'm thinking Harrell S&T for Powell + #18 and #31. Since the Clippers also do not have picks until 2027, I'd like to believe getting picks back now would be of value without giving up Kawhi or PG13.

The good thing about Harrell is since he is 6'8, he is switchable to guards or forwards on defense when KP cant. It becomes versatile for Carlisle if you have someone who can bang bodies with Lebron, Kawhi or even AD and still switch on guards on pick and rolls. That's something KP cannot do. Question is the RIch Paul connection.
DBoys
Starter
And1: 221

Post#382 » by DBoys » Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:42 pm

arkuo wrote:This is just purely my opinion...

But if NOT Giannis in 2021, I can see the Mavs go hard after Devonte Graham. RFA in 2021, 2nd best shooter in the league behind Harden.

Devonte Graham is NOT the 2nd best shooter in the league. In fact, his shooting numbers are mediocre, at best. He makes about 38% of his shots, which is bad. (Nor is Harden the best. Goodness, how bizarre.)

He's not even a FA for another 2 years. And Charlotte likes him, so 2 years from now he'll either be restricted (which means they can match any offer and keep him), or they will extend him before he even gets to free agency, so he's not worth discussing.
arkuo
General Manager

Post#383 » by arkuo » Fri Sep 25, 2020 3:32 pm

DBoys wrote:
arkuo wrote:This is just purely my opinion...

But if NOT Giannis in 2021, I can see the Mavs go hard after Devonte Graham. RFA in 2021, 2nd best shooter in the league behind Harden.

Devonte Graham is NOT the 2nd best shooter in the league. In fact, his shooting numbers are mediocre, at best. He makes about 38% of his shots, which is bad. (Nor is Harden the best. Goodness, how bizarre.)

He's not even a FA for another 2 years. And Charlotte likes him, so 2 years from now he'll either be restricted (which means they can match any offer and keep him), or they will extend him before he even gets to free agency, so he's not worth discussing.

And I agree. Im just talking based on Cuban's perspective and his tendencies. We have our fans' perspective and we have Cuban's perspective. You cant deny that Cuban was giving that blank check to Kemba to get him here. Shooing even worse at 35%, 5 years older, multiple injuries, cant play D, and even an inch shorter. And even with those odds, Cuban was still willing to give him a full max contract to come over. Does it make sense for fans, probably not. For Cuban? Your guess is as good as mine.

Devonte or Kemba, 6'1 or 6'2 guards who can play off ball and shoot well, that's essentially a Jason Terry. Maybe he's gunning for someone in that mold. Who knows.
DBoys
Starter
And1: 221

Post#384 » by DBoys » Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:23 pm

No, you need to get your facts straight.

Kemba Walker shot almost 44%. He was an All-Star that season and the two before, 3rd team all-NBA, in his prime (age 29). BOS (and others) also pursued him as a max player, and he's been an integral part of why they are playing to go to the NBA Finals right now.

Whether he was the right player for the Mavs to pursue or not is a different question. But the idea that Walker is not max-worthy, and the idea that Devonte is a comparable player, are both fairly absurd ideas.
Mike lorenzo
Analyst
And1: 726

Post#385 » by Mike lorenzo » Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:21 am

arkuo wrote:
Mr B wrote:
dirkforpres wrote:
Read on Twitter

Ugh keep him far away

I disagree, and apparently the Mavs disagree with you too. He’s the exact kind of player that we need. He apologized to Luka personally and if Luka is ok with adding him to the team then I’m ok with it too. I’m more concerned with the price tag.

I agree. Dennis Rodman was part of the Bad Boys team that beat the heck out of MJ but eventually they still became teammates.

Since LAC cant keep both Morris and Harrell since they dont have cap space, I'm thinking Harrell S&T for Powell + #18 and #31. Since the Clippers also do not have picks until 2027, I'd like to believe getting picks back now would be of value without giving up Kawhi or PG13.

The good thing about Harrell is since he is 6'8, he is switchable to guards or forwards on defense when KP cant. It becomes versatile for Carlisle if you have someone who can bang bodies with Lebron, Kawhi or even AD and still switch on guards on pick and rolls. That's something KP cannot do. Question is the RIch Paul connection.

Are you comparing Harrell with Rodman .. ?? Obviously Mavs will know better than me what we need ... But Harrell as sixth man ok .. the guy does not have good defense, nor does he shoot ... in no way would I give him more than mle
1+1=11
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 7,989

Post#386 » by HMFFL » Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:26 am

I'd like to see us pursue Jae Crowder.
Like any free agent the money determines the interest but without thinking numbers he's on my list.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 7,989

Post#387 » by HMFFL » Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:28 am

Harrell and Lou Williams (Mr Sixth Man) are a main reason the Clippers are out of the playoffs. Anyone who watched them in the playoffs know this. Foul after foul and mistake after mistake.
Harrell won't be giving out discounts like Lou did to stay in LA after being a journeyman. Expect Harrell to sign for 15m+ per season.

Mike lorenzo
Analyst
And1: 726

Post#388 » by Mike lorenzo » Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:07 am

HMFFL wrote:I'd like to see us pursue Jae Crowder.
Like any free agent the money determines the interest but without thinking numbers he's on my list.

Yes, Jae would be great ... but how to get him out of Miami ... he's an important piece ... and they can offer him more money
1+1=11
Paija
Junior
And1: 305

Post#389 » by Paija » Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:59 am

I have not much idea about their current contract status, but Jae Crowder, Jerian Grant and Frank Ntilikina could be very useful. Frank needs a system and would be very good off ball. Mavs could develop him much better than NY. As a rookie he was not afraid to confront Lebron.
From the draft (or rather - hope they go undrafted) I would look at one of Arturs Zagars and Arturs Kurucs. As I have not looked much into draft, I do not know how they compare, but both are good (albeit small) guards. They could be had for cheap. I think Brooklin is very happy with Rodions Kurucs whom they locked for 4 years.
deb
Senior
And1: 455

Post#390 » by deb » Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:32 am

I think Harrell would thrive in Dallas. His PPP as a rollman basically equals Powell's. And in Carlisle's system his numbers would go up. The question is Harrell's interest and money. Can't be paying over 60 million a year for your bigs rotation when there's other positions of greater need.

I hope WCS opts in and Dallas keep their big rotation of KP, Maxi, Powell, Boban and WCS. That's plenty good enough...
Pointguard01
RealGM
And1: 223

Post#391 » by Pointguard01 » Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:45 am

Mr B wrote:I’m listening to one of the Mavs podcasts and they are talking about the Mavs should trade for Zach Levine. THJ being the main piece going back. I’ve always thought Levine would be great in Dallas, especially under Carlisle but it would mean that they HAVE to move Powell in order to maintain their cap space for 2021. If the Mavs could also move Powell (even if in a separate deal) would you be ok with acquiring Levine (while maintaining cap space for 2021)?

I don’t think we can afford a below average defender like Lavine. While the offense would be good, we’d struggle on defense. I wouldn’t be against adding him, but don’t see it as an ideal/target.

deb wrote:I think Harrell would thrive in Dallas. His PPP as a rollman basically equals Powell's. And in Carlisle's system his numbers would go up. The question is Harrell's interest and money. Can't be paying over 60 million a year for your bigs rotation when there's other positions of greater need.

I hope WCS opts in and Dallas keep their big rotation of KP, Maxi, Powell, Boban and WCS. That's plenty good enough...

He’d be great but you’re right. Doesn’t make sense with Powell locked up long-term (and generally, do you want to pay big money to Harrell? no).
arkuo
General Manager

Post#392 » by arkuo » Sat Sep 26, 2020 2:32 pm

Mike lorenzo wrote:
arkuo wrote:
Mr B wrote:I disagree, and apparently the Mavs disagree with you too. He’s the exact kind of player that we need. He apologized to Luka personally and if Luka is ok with adding him to the team then I’m ok with it too. I’m more concerned with the price tag.

Are you comparing Harrell with Rodman .. ?? Obviously Mavs will know better than me what we need ... But Harrell as sixth man ok .. the guy does not have good defense, nor does he shoot ... in no way would I give him more than mle

That wasn't my point. If you were alive when the Pistons beat the hell out of Jordan back then, that included Rodman, Salley and Laimbeer. Similar to when Beverly, Morris and Harrell fouls hard against Luka in the last series. If Rodman could be signed by the Bulls despite their history with MJ, there is no reason for Harrell to be teammates with Luka. That was my point.
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 3,997

Post#393 » by Mr B » Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:51 pm

Pointguard01 wrote:
Mr B wrote:I’m listening to one of the Mavs podcasts and they are talking about the Mavs should trade for Zach Levine. THJ being the main piece going back. I’ve always thought Levine would be great in Dallas, especially under Carlisle but it would mean that they HAVE to move Powell in order to maintain their cap space for 2021. If the Mavs could also move Powell (even if in a separate deal) would you be ok with acquiring Levine (while maintaining cap space for 2021)?

I don’t think we can afford a below average defender like Lavine. While the offense would be good, we’d struggle on defense. I wouldn’t be against adding him, but don’t see it as an ideal/target.

deb wrote:I think Harrell would thrive in Dallas. His PPP as a rollman basically equals Powell's. And in Carlisle's system his numbers would go up. The question is Harrell's interest and money. Can't be paying over 60 million a year for your bigs rotation when there's other positions of greater need.

He’d be great but you’re right. Doesn’t make sense with Powell locked up long-term (and generally, do you want to pay big money to Harrell? no).

Yea good point about the defense. I was listening to a little more about Levine and apparently he’s also kind of a diva. After hearing what I’ve heard about Levine I don’t think he would be good for team chemistry (in addition to being a bad defender).

ejs78
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,091

Post#394 » by ejs78 » Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:47 pm

Levine is the new flavor of the week for that host. Give it like 2 or 3 weeks and he'll be all over someone else.
Mr B wrote:
Pointguard01 wrote:

Yea good point about the defense. I was listening to a little more about Levine and apparently he’s also kind of a diva. After hearing what I’ve heard about Levine I don’t think he would be good for team chemistry (in addition to being a bad defender).

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app
Teffer10
Head Coach
And1: 845

Post#395 » by Teffer10 » Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:48 pm

deb wrote:

Agree, and draft Paul Reed at #31 as someone to develop to eventually replace Powell and/or Maxi when they are gone. And he'd be cheap insurance next season if KP or Powell go down for any length of time.
TingusP
Ballboy
And1: 16

Post#396 » by TingusP » Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:48 am

Teffer10 wrote:
deb wrote:

Agree, and draft Paul Reed at #31 as someone to develop to eventually replace Powell and/or Maxi when they are gone. And he'd be cheap insurance next season if KP or Powell go down for any length of time.

Paul Reed seems undervalued to me. I'm not sure why as he looks like he has all the physical tools and can play on both ends. The shot needs some work, but that's the case for a lot of prospects. I would be fine with using #31 to grab him. Best case we end up with a Jonathan Isaac starter kit or someone similar with a little more offensive punch. He could be great fit next to KP.
arkuo
General Manager

Post#397 » by arkuo » Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:09 am

Teffer10 wrote:
deb wrote:

Im pretty sure Cuban and the Mavs did some forward planning with a company that big.

2023 is a big pivotal year for the Mavs. Carlisle's contract is up for renewal during that year. KP's big max contract has a player option in 2023. Powell, Curry and Maxi all come off the books during that year as well. So technically the Mavs have up until then to figure it out, and if not they can always scrap everyone except Luka and start over.

I'm sure there will be superstars who will take 1+1 deals in 2021 which will make them FAs in 2023 again. But as of today, both Jokic and Embiid are UFA in 2023. if KP cant play 82 games by then, I would like to think the organization might prefer to go a different route. Maybe take one of those two centers, and still have space for one more max.

Luka and Jokic on the same team would be Harlem Globetrotter levels of passing. You need to add some defense there though. These two have been good friends even before the NBA bubble too.
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 3,997

Post#398 » by Mr B » Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:25 pm

arkuo wrote:
Teffer10 wrote:
deb wrote:

Im pretty sure Cuban and the Mavs did some forward planning with a company that big.

2023 is a big pivotal year for the Mavs. Carlisle's contract is up for renewal during that year. KP's big max contract has a player option in 2023. Powell, Curry and Maxi all come off the books during that year as well. So technically the Mavs have up until then to figure it out, and if not they can always scrap everyone except Luka and start over.

I'm sure there will be superstars who will take 1+1 deals in 2021 which will make them FAs in 2023 again. But as of today, both Jokic and Embiid are UFA in 2023. if KP cant play 82 games by then, I would like to think the organization might prefer to go a different route. Maybe take one of those two centers, and still have space for one more max.

Luka and Jokic on the same team would be Harlem Globetrotter levels of passing. You need to add some defense there though. These two have been good friends even before the NBA bubble too.

Luka
???
???
Giannis
Jokic

I would take that lineup in 2023

boogiezen
Senior
And1: 410

Post#399 » by boogiezen » Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:38 am

Realistically if given the chance I would go after Grant.

Luka
THJ
DFS
Grant
KP

Brunson/Burke
Curry
Maxi
Powell
Bobi

And possibly sign another veteran forward who can give you solid minutes.

Maybe trade 18th and 31 pick + Wright & Jackson.
Maybe it's better not to be the best. Then you can lose and it's OK. - Searching for Bobby Fischer (1993)
arkuo
General Manager

Post#400 » by arkuo » Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:36 pm

I'd expect them to continue talks with Orlando for Aaron Gordon. Same talks that got stalled right through the trade deadline.

Return to Dallas Mavericks