Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

Eyeamok
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,420

Re: Markelle Fultz VIII: The Aftermath 

Post#281 » by Eyeamok » Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:09 pm

rzzzzz wrote:
Eyeamok wrote:
Teams can afford to employ the best of the best investigators to investigate their players if they have violated their contract. It seems very unlikely that Fultz injured his shoulder doing his favorite childhood sport activity. An injury that server would require medical attention. His agent would have had to bribe hospital staff not to use Fultz's real name on any medical or admittance forms. When Fultz was seen by doctors from the 76ers or the doctors that he visited, each and everyone of them would have had to miss signs of a fracture/break or trauma in the shoulder area severe enough to disrupt his shooting patterns. I think that is very unlikely. Fultz agent went with a diagnosis that could not be seen on any scan. I still think it was mostly if not all mental.

i don't think it's worth teams' while to violate the contract at the front end of a rookie deal. hassling the players union. chump change in the grand scheme. but if there's some other reason why Markelle refused to address the issue on camera, and his agent went back and forth about fluid being taken out vs a shot going in (probably both) and Drew getting fired after admitting that his "injury" still hasn't healed, i'd like to hear it.

So the 76ers may have known about his injury but decided to keep quiet about it because Fultz was such a great talent and they did not want to deal with the players union and his contract was only chump change? Only to turn around and trade him for 2 second round picks. When they knew he was on the road to recovery real recovery?

Drew saying his "injury" still hasn't healed could be another way of saying he still needs to attend counseling.
The Accession of Paul Reed is upon us !

You want it to be one way....but it's the other way.

Marlo
phifans
Veteran
And1: 586

Post#282 » by phifans » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:49 pm

76ciology wrote:
phifans wrote:
kuclas wrote:The simple fact is fultz was due 10 million. If Z Smith were due 10 million next year. I doubt the sixers would keep him as well. But at 2 million smith is easier to just suck it up and hope he gets better.

We just didn’t have 10 million to keep investing in fultz.

I know the team says the right things about fultz. But who knows what exactly was going behind the scenes with fultz and his team. So a combination of fultz team and sixers front office just having enough lead to fultz being essentially a salary dump.

An expensive salary dump considering we all knew he could play and contribute. I’d take “inefficient fultz mid range” plus breaking down a defense in half court set to distribute the ball to other players in better shooting position than Simmons half court game at this time

Ben is the better overall player than fultz (defense, overall player) right now but sometimes less is more. We have enough big bodies who can play defense. We need guys who can break down half court defenses. And Simmons can’t.

I would take a chance to develop Fultz at 10m over paying Horford 4/100m. What typical shortsighted moves ! Good job Elton !

Sure in a nutshell.

But if you consider how we were very close of making the finals, how the league is wide open now and the fit of Ben and Fultz then the Al Horford signing makes more sense than Fultz. And this is coming from a big believer in Fultz.

In the end, I’d say we’re “all in” on winning one championship this year and maybe the next 2 years then we’re also “all in” with Ben.

I don't matter we trade Fultz and signing big name FA by the cap he left. But I hate the return of Fultz trade (almost nothing) and hate more on the Horford signing. Horford is better than Fultz sure but that's not the point. Don't act like he will be the key point of our success but we will be more likely screwed up by his terrible contract.
rzzzzz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,692

Post#283 » by rzzzzz » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:57 pm

Eyeamok wrote:So the 76ers may have known about his injury but decided to keep quiet about it because Fultz was such a great talent and they did not want to deal with the players union and his contract was only chump change? Only to turn around and trade him for 2 second round picks. When they knew he was on the road to recovery real recovery?
Drew saying his "injury" still hasn't healed could be another way of saying he still needs to attend counseling.

yeah, i withdraw my conjecture. here's what happened.

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2018/12/21/18150729/markelle-fultz-shot-mystery-2018-timeline
kuclas
General Manager
And1: 3,900

Post#284 » by kuclas » Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:40 pm

phifans wrote:
76ciology wrote:
phifans wrote:
I would take a chance to develop Fultz at 10m over paying Horford 4/100m. What typical shortsighted moves ! Good job Elton !

Sure in a nutshell.

But if you consider how we were very close of making the finals, how the league is wide open now and the fit of Ben and Fultz then the Al Horford signing makes more sense than Fultz. And this is coming from a big believer in Fultz.

In the end, I’d say we’re “all in” on winning one championship this year and maybe the next 2 years then we’re also “all in” with Ben.

I don't matter we trade Fultz and signing big name FA by the cap he left. But I hate the return of Fultz trade (almost nothing) and hate more on the Horford signing. Horford is better than Fultz sure but that's not the point. Don't act like he will be the key point of our success but we will be more likely screwed up by his terrible contract.

Fultz was a salary dump. It’s as plain as day. Like I said. If Z Smith was gonna to make more money next season. Sixers would cut ties with him as well.
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,814

Post#285 » by Stanford » Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:11 pm

One of the Liberty Ballers pods had Keith Williams on today. Not sure how much he can be believed, but it's an interesting listen.

- He places a lot of blame on Colangelo
- Says Brett campaigned not to draft Markelle
- Doesn't believe Fultz ever had a shoulder injury
- Implies that the front office was more interested in protecting their reputation than getting Markelle right
- Defends himself pretty hard; claims that he was used as a scapegoat by the Sixers
- Doubles down on the excuse that Markelle performed poorly in the Boston workout because a bunch of old white (he denies the 'white' part) men were watching him (lol)

Here's the link
https://www.libertyballers.com/2020/9/26/21456953/no-particular-hurry-episode-5-with-markelle-fultzs-former-trainer-keith-williams-out-now-76ers
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,750

Post#286 » by Negrodamus » Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:29 pm

Wow, gotta hand it Brett, he was smart.
kuclas
General Manager
And1: 3,900

Post#287 » by kuclas » Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:43 am

At the end of the day. Ainge would have found another sucker to jump to 1. But the sixers showed their cards so much

As a Kansas alumni. I was praying sixers wouldn’t pick josh Jackson’s. CAuse his free throws and jump shot looked so bad. I think it helped fultz to play out west on a bad team. He looked good in his highlights.

I actually like monk but he hasn’t panned out either. Tatum I had in the 5/6th best player. I’m still not sold on his defense to this day. He was always offensively gifted. Brad Stevens does wonders to team defense making players look better than they really are defensively.

What’s done is done. You move on
Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,122

Post#288 » by Arsenal » Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:41 am

Negrodamus wrote:Wow, gotta hand it Brett, he was smart.

Because he didn't want Markelle? Who did he want in the 2017 draft?
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#289 » by Stanford » Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:44 am

kuclas wrote:At the end of the day. Ainge would have found another sucker to jump to 1. But the sixers showed their cards so much

In the interview, Keith claims that Ainge wanted to wait until the draft to finalize the trade and Colangelo said Markelle will NEVER wear a Boston hat!

Well, he didn't want Markelle because he promised Ben he'd be the point guard, according to Keith. So not great there.
stormi
General Manager
And1: 7,657

Post#290 » by stormi » Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:45 am

How didn't Fultz have a shoulder injury? That's the only explanation i'm believing in the transformation of his shot from summer league, to fall camp

Arsenal
RealGM

Post#291 » by Arsenal » Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:47 am

Hidden BMX accident is the best explanation I've heard. His shot was perfect in summer league and turned to absolute crap 2 months later by training camp.
Arsenal
RealGM

Post#292 » by Arsenal » Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:48 am

Stanford wrote:
kuclas wrote:At the end of the day. Ainge would have found another sucker to jump to 1. But the sixers showed their cards so much

In the interview, Keith claims that Ainge wanted to wait until the draft to finalize the trade and Colangelo said Markelle will NEVER wear a Boston hat!

As soon as they capped Hinkie, the Sixers entered the OPTICS era.

OPTICS are more important than results.
stormi
General Manager
And1: 7,657

Post#293 » by stormi » Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:48 am

Arsenal wrote:Hidden BMX accident is the best explanation I've heard. His shot was perfect in summer league and turned to absolute crap 2 months later by training camp.

Literally the only thing that makes sense.

In conjunction with his mom's boyfriend having him shoot medicine balls from prone positions and stuff
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#294 » by Stanford » Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:50 am

Arsenal wrote:Hidden BMX accident is the best explanation I've heard. His shot was perfect in summer league and turned to absolute crap 2 months later by training camp.

Wouldn't his long-time trainer know about this? He'd would be incentivized to go along with that narrative if it were true. After all, the Sixers claimed that the shot got messed out after Keith did a bunch of weird shooting drills and totally overhauled his shot between summer league and preseason.
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,750

Post#295 » by Negrodamus » Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:54 am

Stanford wrote:

Well, he didn't want Markelle because he promised Ben he'd be the point guard, according to Keith. So not great there.

I guess I should expect Brett to disappoint me when I give him the benefit of the doubt.
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#296 » by Stanford » Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:55 am

stormi wrote:Literally the only thing that makes sense.

Colangelo and his minions did everything they could to take the Markelle heat off of them. Why wouldn't they just leak the BMX story to Keith Pompey or something?
Arsenal
RealGM

Post#297 » by Arsenal » Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:00 am

Stanford wrote:

Colangelo and his minions did everything they could to take the Markelle heat off of them. Why wouldn't they just leak the BMX story to Keith Pompey or something?

Maybe they didn't know?
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#298 » by Stanford » Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:04 am

Arsenal wrote:
Stanford wrote:

Maybe they didn't know?

So who did know? Where is this BMX story coming from? It's oddly specific.
Arsenal
RealGM

Post#299 » by Arsenal » Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:12 am

Keith Williams says he thinks there was never anything physical wrong w/Markelle!

I guess that means its all mental?
Arsenal
RealGM

Post#300 » by Arsenal » Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:14 am

He didn't say something hurt. He said "it feels like something is holding my arms down"!

Keith interprets this to mean it was mental and not physical!

Return to Philadelphia 76ers