ImageImageImage

What is Jayson Tatum's ceiling?

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

Tatumfor2
Starter
And1: 4,618

Re: What is Jayson Tatum's ceiling? 

Post#861 » by Tatumfor2 » Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:22 pm

The Comedian wrote:Jesus

Read on Twitter
?s=20

One man race.
Win it for Al!!! :pray:
Feed Your Head
RealGM
And1: 69,465

Post#862 » by Feed Your Head » Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:39 pm

His ceiling?

Roger Federer
Senior
And1: 649

Post#863 » by Roger Federer » Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:24 am

He's no Tyler Herro, that's for sure.
Feed Your Head
RealGM

Post#864 » by Feed Your Head » Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:35 am

Roger Federer wrote:He's no Tyler Herro, that's for sure.

Sign into the wrong account?
John-S
Junior
And1: 171

Post#865 » by John-S » Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:52 am

Hero plays no defence and does not play make. He is a walking bucket and will be an all star but never a superstar. Big reason why is hooping Scott free is because he is a 4th option on that team after Jimmy, Dragic, and Bam. No one game plans for him. That will change moving forward in the coming years
BostonCouchGM
Head Coach
And1: 4,857

Post#866 » by BostonCouchGM » Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:59 am

John-S wrote:

Hero plays no defence and does not play make. He is a walking bucket and will be an all star but never a superstar. Big reason why is hooping Scott free is because he is a 4th option on that team after Jimmy, Dragic, and Bam. No one game plans for him. That will change moving forward in the coming years

stop. He's legit. He didn't show any of this in college and I'll readily admit I did not see this in his game and was wrong about him. He's cool as a cucumber and IS a playmaker. He will only get better. He's on Tatum's level as a prospect because he has "it" unlike a guy like Jaylen. He's actually a much better defender than people are giving him credit for. What separates guys like Tatum, Herro, Murray etc from a guy like Jaylen is that these guys can dribble in traffic without coughing it up, initiate the offense, create for themselves and others, and the moment isn't too big for him. Let's give credit where credit is due. He's awesome and we were one pick away from getting him, not that I think Danny would have been smart enough to take him.
Feed Your Head
RealGM

Post#867 » by Feed Your Head » Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:42 am

I know the first half was embarrassing, and he still makes too many bad decisions. But dropping 28 on 15 shots in the second half of a must win conference finals game shows balls. To already be a top 10, or fringe top 10 player at 22, with as many things as he can improve upon, it’s pretty scary.

Read on Twitter
?s=20
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 87,840

Post#868 » by zoyathedestroya » Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:46 pm

What's the earliest date we can offer Tatum his max extension? That should be a top priority. Don't mess around with this. Offer him everything as soon as CBA permits.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM

Post#869 » by zoyathedestroya » Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:27 pm

Send to Tatum... something to work on in the offseason...
Read on Twitter
Green89
RealGM
And1: 26,600

Post#870 » by Green89 » Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:25 pm

The Comedian wrote:I know the first half was embarrassing, and he still makes too many bad decisions. But dropping 28 on 15 shots in the second half of a must win conference finals game shows balls. To already be a top 10, or fringe top 10 player at 22, with as many things as he can improve upon, it’s pretty scary.

Read on Twitter
?s=20

The problem with this quote is it's ironic because he had 20 points in the 3rd, and only 8 points and 2 turnovers in the 4th. Those 2 quarter results needed to be flipped flopped. We needed the bigger quarter to finish the game.
Floody100
Analyst
And1: 4,990

Post#871 » by Floody100 » Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:05 pm

BostonCouchGM wrote:
John-S wrote:

stop. He's legit. He didn't show any of this in college and I'll readily admit I did not see this in his game and was wrong about him. He's cool as a cucumber and IS a playmaker. He will only get better. He's on Tatum's level as a prospect because he has "it" unlike a guy like Jaylen. He's actually a much better defender than people are giving him credit for. What separates guys like Tatum, Herro, Murray etc from a guy like Jaylen is that these guys can dribble in traffic without coughing it up, initiate the offense, create for themselves and others, and the moment isn't too big for him. Let's give credit where credit is due. He's awesome and we were one pick away from getting him, not that I think Danny would have been smart enough to take him.

Surprise, surprise ... unwarranted digs at Jaylen from his biggest fan lol
playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 18,141

Post#872 » by playa-hater » Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:55 am

IF/When Tatum does in the 4th, what he is doing in the 3rd = NUMBER 1 .. PEROID!!
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS
zoyathedestroya
RealGM

Post#873 » by zoyathedestroya » Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:34 am

Miami and Toronto have given Tatum fits when he's gone iso in the playoffs.

In the regular season, he was scoring 1.00 point per possession on isolation plays. Good for 76th percentile.
In the postseason, that's down to 0.72 points per possession on higher frequency. Good for 15th percentile.

Of the 19 players with at least 30 iso possessions in the playoffs, Tatum ranks 18th. Kemba is 19th.

He'll get there (Harden or Lebron level) once he gets stronger and adds more go-to moves/counters. But right now, I hope we run our usual sets that involve ball movement during crunch time.
Feed Your Head
RealGM

Post#874 » by Feed Your Head » Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:04 pm

zoyathedestroya wrote:Miami and Toronto have given Tatum fits when he's gone iso in the playoffs.

In the regular season, he was scoring 1.00 point per possession on isolation plays. Good for 76th percentile.
In the postseason, that's down to 0.72 points per possession on higher frequency. Good for 15th percentile.

Of the 19 players with at least 30 iso possessions in the playoffs, Tatum ranks 18th. Kemba is 19th.

He'll get there (Harden or Lebron level) once he gets stronger and adds more go-to moves/counters. But right now, I hope we run our usual sets that involve ball movement during crunch time.

Matches the eye test big time, he’s even struggled with his off the dribble three. There’s been some really nice ISO moves, but have been few and far between.

He has had two straight huge second halves, and it’s been within the offense. More of that please.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM

Post#875 » by zoyathedestroya » Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:10 pm

The Comedian wrote:
zoyathedestroya wrote:Miami and Toronto have given Tatum fits when he's gone iso in the playoffs.

Matches the eye test big time, he’s even struggled with his off the dribble three. There’s been some really nice ISO moves, but have been few and far between.

He has had two straight huge second halves, and it’s been within the offense. More of that please.

Data (paid sites) should be available but I think he's gotten more passing out of his iso possessions to get looks for his teammates. He's really improved in that regard.
Feed Your Head
RealGM

Post#876 » by Feed Your Head » Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:15 pm

zoyathedestroya wrote:
The Comedian wrote:

Data (paid sites) should be available but I think he's gotten more passing out of his iso possessions to get looks for his teammates. He's really improved in that regard.

This is just eye test as well, but when going ISO he seems caught in between looking for his own shot, and creating for others. Has led to some really awkward shots at the rim lol. Needs to have more purpose when make moves, but yeah he definitely has gotten guys really good looks off of ISO.
snowman
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 2,506

Post#877 » by snowman » Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:43 pm

After making the 3rd team all NBA, is Tatum eligible of a super max offer? If he is, is there any doubt he will get it?
Feed Your Head
RealGM

Post#878 » by Feed Your Head » Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:52 pm

snowman wrote:After making the 3rd team all NBA, is Tatum eligible of a super max offer? If he is, is there any doubt he will get it?

He’s now eligible for a 30% max instead of 25.

And no.
John-S
Junior
And1: 171

Post#879 » by John-S » Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:16 am

snowman wrote:After making the 3rd team all NBA, is Tatum eligible of a super max offer? If he is, is there any doubt he will get it?

Are you serious? It would be from a top 5 team to Brown and small use to losing BB choking Kemba plus hot trash without Tatum.

Very disappointed on Kemba. Against Toronto I was like aight he was up against the best defensive squat top to bottom from Lowry/Vanvleet at guard to Ananoby/Siakam/Ibaka upfront. But against Miami, I was really think he would try to exploit Dragic, Herro, Robinson, Crowder more handling and getting to the rim. His number are better this series but still for a max guy that hurts. He will always be pin sized which you just can’t fix if he doesn’t find away to not get swallowed up offensively and targeted defensively
Green89
RealGM
And1: 26,600

Post#880 » by Green89 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:27 am

So Tatum had some great playoff games, but has he really excelled at end of game situations? Not being able to close is a concern. He seems to start and end games slower than the middle. I'd be curious to see his crunch time stats in these playoffs.

Return to Boston Celtics