ImageImage

120 Guarantees: the Nic Batum thread

Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

Vanderbilt_Grad
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,771

Re: 120 Guarantees: the Nic Batum thread 

Post#1321 » by Vanderbilt_Grad » Sat Mar 7, 2020 3:23 pm

I'm not unhappy with Nic's current role on the team. I like that he's not being an ass about not playing. I would rather have him be a cheerleader than playing significant MPG.
My picks:
2020 Draft (3rd pick) - Tyrese Haliburton, Devin Vassell, or Onyeka Okongwu
2021 Draft (11th pick) - Moses Moody
Rich4114
RealGM
And1: 4,160

Post#1322 » by Rich4114 » Mon Mar 9, 2020 1:24 pm

DY_nasty wrote:
tondi123 wrote:When will we ever learn not to give guys monster contracts based on what we hope they may be instead of what they clearly are. Has that ever worked out for us? Having said that, if Batum had managed to stay at the same level he was at when we paid him we could have probably moved him. Instead, he's decided to passively aggressively pout while on the floor and pat himself on the back for not cussing out the coaches while sitting on the bench. What a great guy.

if batum had stayed at the level he was when he got the money i wouldn't even trip tbh. i doubt anyone would've

he's turned into one of the worst players in the league - that's the problem lol

Exactly. We knew at the time of signing that we were probably over paying for that production but it was important towards keeping us at or above the level we ended 2016 on. We were all mostly fine paying him a ton if it meant it helped keep us in the middle of the playoff race where momentum at the right time and Lebron leaving the EC could mean a decent run. But then he responded to that contract by morphing into a useless slug of a player.
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,050

Post#1323 » by Liver_Pooty » Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:16 pm

Just one more season.
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,536

Post#1324 » by HornetJail » Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:25 pm

Liver_Pooty wrote:Just one more season.

I doubt he plays for us next season. if the status quo holds and Mitch inexplicably refuses to make any trades, I think Batum takes a ~4-5M buyout and goes ring chasing.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
Liver_Pooty
RealGM

Post#1325 » by Liver_Pooty » Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:36 pm

KEMBAtheMETEOR wrote:

I doubt he plays for us next season. if the status quo holds and Mitch inexplicably refuses to make any trades, I think Batum takes a ~4-5M buyout and goes ring chasing.

There is absolutely no way in my opinion that Batum gives up 21 million plus or whatever it might be next year. He can do his ring chasing the year after and sign with whomever he wants.
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,536

Post#1326 » by HornetJail » Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:37 pm

Liver_Pooty wrote:
KEMBAtheMETEOR wrote:

There is absolutely no way in my opinion that Batum gives up 21 million plus or whatever it might be next year. He can do his ring chasing the year after and sign with whomever he wants.

No I meant he leaves 4-5 mil on the table, and pockets $22M+ from us
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
Liver_Pooty
RealGM

Post#1327 » by Liver_Pooty » Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:48 am

KEMBAtheMETEOR wrote:
Liver_Pooty wrote:
KEMBAtheMETEOR wrote:I doubt he plays for us next season. if the status quo holds and Mitch inexplicably refuses to make any trades, I think Batum takes a ~4-5M buyout and goes ring chasing.

No I meant he leaves 4-5 mil on the table, and pockets $22M+ from us

Lol oh. Sorry.
Kerisun
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#1328 » by Kerisun » Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:04 am

I've been twice and I still think they talk like that cartoon skunk.
bravor
Starter
And1: 736

Post#1329 » by bravor » Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:16 pm

It's still unclear if Batum picks up his option. Last March, it really sounded like he would not pick it. Deadline is geting closer, i am assuming there some talks between his agents and some teams (not saying it is the case)

I would not be surprised if he was to renounce for many reasons (the main reason being uncomfortable with his 'performance' and kemba leaving, adding the fact youngsters need to play as he said in March), especially if a franchise commits to his last nba deal (around vet minimum, pretty sure something around 20/3years would be good enough for him).

I am wondering if it would be good for the franchise though. Yeah salaries, cap relief etc . But his expiring could bring some interesting return, especially to absorb one bad contract to land some good assets & picks for next years.
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,649

Post#1330 » by yosemiteben » Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:31 pm

It would be an incredibly unwise financial decision to turn down that option. If he does he should fire his financial advisor.
James Gatz
Veteran
And1: 693

Post#1331 » by James Gatz » Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:31 pm

There's no way he turns down 27 mil for a chance to make a vet min on a different team.

Also if we are a capspace team so we wouldn't need his expiring to take back money. We could just take it into the cap making it even more valuable.
Liver_Pooty
RealGM

Post#1332 » by Liver_Pooty » Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:27 pm

I would be beyond shocked if he turned that option down.
Vanderbilt_Grad
Assistant Coach

Post#1333 » by Vanderbilt_Grad » Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:26 pm

He's taking the option.

What's not clear is if he will be on the team next year. The Hornets could buy him out, stretch him, or even trade him.

Buying him out would mostly be a favor to him and his agent, since I'm sure that Nic will not give up much money.

Stretching him only makes sense if the team needs to open up a lot of cap space suddenly for some reason during the off-season.

Trading Nic seems unlikely to me, but with the cap going down it might actually happen.
My picks:
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 8,358

Post#1334 » by BigSlam » Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:27 pm

bravor wrote:especially if a franchise commits to his last nba deal (around vet minimum, pretty sure something around 20/3years would be good enough for him).

Why would he take less total money ($20mil Vs $27mil) over more years (3yrs Vs 1yrs)??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
B B M F 'ers
Braggins
RealGM
And1: 8,146

Post#1335 » by Braggins » Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:49 pm

I think they should try to trade him for a bad contract with multiple years in exchange for draft compensation. Hornets are one of the only teams with cap space and they also have some big expirings. They could help a team looking to remedy a bad cap situation in the next couple years. They should be looking to do the same with Zeller imo. I would try to get something from Philly to take on Horford. Id also see if I could get anything out of Rozier.
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#1336 » by yosemiteben » Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:57 pm

Trade for Horford for picks, then trade Horford again at the deadline for picks to whoever wants to take salary to bolster their big rotation for a playoff run.
Vanderbilt_Grad
Assistant Coach

Post#1337 » by Vanderbilt_Grad » Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:10 am

yosemiteben wrote:Trade for Horford for picks, then trade Horford again at the deadline for picks to whoever wants to take salary to bolster their big rotation for a playoff run.

What makes you think that Horford has both negative and positive value?
My picks:
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#1338 » by yosemiteben » Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:30 am

Vanderbilt_Grad wrote:
yosemiteben wrote:Trade for Horford for picks, then trade Horford again at the deadline for picks to whoever wants to take salary to bolster their big rotation for a playoff run.

Negative for PHI due to salary this offseason. Positive to a surprise ring chaser at the deadline who is willing to take on salary for a title run.

At least that's the theory, second part is obviously optimistic.
Braggins
RealGM
And1: 8,146

Post#1339 » by Braggins » Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:46 am

yosemiteben wrote:
Vanderbilt_Grad wrote:

Negative for PHI due to salary this offseason. Positive to a surprise ring chaser at the deadline who is willing to take on salary for a title run.

At least that's the theory, second part is obviously optimistic.

I think you make the first deal assuming you'll be stuck with him and if he continues to play well and a desperate team looking for an upgrade for a title run gives you anything at all at the deadline thats a bonus.
bravor
Starter
And1: 736

Post#1340 » by bravor » Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:32 am

BigSlam wrote:
bravor wrote:especially if a franchise commits to his last nba deal (around vet minimum, pretty sure something around 20/3years would be good enough for him).

Why would he take less total money ($20mil Vs $27mil) over more years (3yrs Vs 1yrs)??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He had a solid education despite losing his father when he was just a kid. He is not the kind of guy wasting money and i am pretty sure he does not risk anything financially if he renounces to his last year considering what he earned already (and he has some sponsorship contract as well so..).
But i also think he still want to make some sort of statement in the league, to prove himself (and others) that he can still bring something to a team. He loves this game still.
He and his agent must be aware of his 'court value' though, even though he did a solid - defensively - campaign with our french nt last time (unlike what i had witnessed here for last three years).

Not saying my take is gonna happen, but since the deadline is approaching and we still have no feedback either from the organization of from himself, i tend to assume that is an opt out looming.

No matter what, people here for obvious reasons don't care about his own future, but for having played a bit with the trade machine (and free agency), i noticed his contract was kinda useful in some way. Especially to land valuable potential first for 2021/22

Return to Charlotte Hornets