ImageImageImageImage

Sacrilege- trade Isaac

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

fendilim
RealGM
And1: 5,017

Re: Sacrilege- trade Isaac 

Post#21 » by fendilim » Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:02 am

The Nuggets have Jerami Grant, I dont think they’d be that interested. Also, Bol Bol. Its proven this playoffs they need another scorer and Isaac isnt the answer to that.

Also, can ee even get a good value for Isaac? His career has been riddled with so much injury.
OrlandO
RealGM
And1: 16,421

Post#22 » by OrlandO » Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:02 am

His value is probably low right now. I'd rather take advantage of the situation by re-signing him to a cheap contract. We're going to need him after we trade Gordon.
JF5
RealGM
And1: 3,883

Post#23 » by JF5 » Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:18 am

Hell to the no... He'll be one of the best defensive players in the league in a few years and one of the better two way players. With no return of a young up and coming star players being in such a deal. See no upside dealing him imo
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 2,413

Post#24 » by SD2042 » Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:44 am

On JI, the Magic can get away with signing him to a cheap contract due to his recurrenting health issues. At least they can give him another year or two to determine will he be a long term member of the team or look to move on from him when his next contract is done or by trade within the next two to three years.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 2,413

Post#25 » by SD2042 » Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:54 am

BlueBlazer wrote:
SD2042 wrote:
BlueBlazer wrote:Don’t you have to pass a physical to be traded?

I think so. I recalled a Tyson Chandler trade that was reneged due to a non-disclosed injury that wasn't address within the contents of the trade itself.

Yeah I thought I heard something where both team doctors had to approve for a deal to be finalized.

You are correct.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,904

Post#26 » by drsd » Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:04 pm

Isaac's trade value would be very low right now. Indeed, Orlando can resign Isaac to a much-lower than expected contract. That could turn in to real value (recall something similar occurred to Curry's contract - back when - because of a foot issue).
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,399

Post#27 » by Bensational » Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:49 am

Here's how I see Isaac's future playing out with us:

2020-21: sits out final year of his rookie deal.
21 offseason: signs a 2+1 deal with a player option for $10-13M.

21-22 / 22-23: two seasons to show his health and improved game before his next contract. If he needs further rehab time at the start, his salary isn't cripplingly large.

23 offseason: he opts out. He's now 25, has had two healthy seasons. Still a great defender, bit of a neutral contributor on offense. Isaac is now a UFA, so he doesn't have to re-sign with us at all. Does he even want to stick around? Do we have to overpay? Perhaps these will already have been worked out and he gets traded in a previous season?

The team currently has no big contracts slated to be on the books. Vuc and Ross' contracts end, if they're still on the team. Bamba is a RFA. Fultz ($XXM?), Okeke, 2020frp, 21frp, 22frp, 23frp all potentially still on the team.

This doesn't account for whether guys like DJ, Fournier or Gordon have been re-signed or traded for contracts that extend beyond this year. So there's probably +/-$25M in salary on the books.

So, is the offseason of 2023 when WeHam finally make a decision on the direction of the team? Do they make a handover? Has someone emerged to lead the team in this time? I mean, that's a good amount of FRP's to hope for some Giannis-like magic. Will they have become an interesting enough canvas for a couple of MAX FAs to come and join? What's the FA crop of 2023 like?

Anyway, I don't see any value in trading him right now. Even if he was healthy I'd struggle to want to trade him. He's the most exciting player on the team to watch, and his best work is done on defense. Says it all.
MasterGMer
Veteran
And1: 583

Post#28 » by MasterGMer » Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:57 am

My goal this offseason is to resign Isaac to a long term deal. We gonna have Isaac's cap hold next summer and we don't know how much yet. Better do it now and lock him in the Magic for 2 or 3 more seasons.

There are plenty FAs in the 2021 FA Group. Hope we nail one
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,604

Post#29 » by Skybox » Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:32 am

If we are able to resign him for 3 yrs at 10-13 yr, I’ll be shocked but very pleased
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,269

Post#30 » by pepe1991 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:28 am

MasterGMer wrote:My goal this offseason is to resign Isaac to a long term deal. We gonna have Isaac's cap hold next summer and we don't know how much yet. Better do it now and lock him in the Magic for 2 or 3 more seasons.

There are plenty FAs in the 2021 FA Group. Hope we nail one

Magic don't have cap space for 2021, regardless what they do with Evan, as they already have $76M commited to 5 players, without Okeke, 2020 pick ( already pushing over $80 M), and without re-signs of Isaac and Fultz. Without usage of MLE this year.

Now if Magic sign player before they resign Isaac and Fultz, they are over cap and in luxury tax.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,636

Post#31 » by Skin » Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:45 am

Keep him. We've got no business thinking next year we're chasing anything other than another 1st round knockout at best anyways.
Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
zaymon
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,153

Post#32 » by zaymon » Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:50 pm

First we must assess how much will injury affect Isaac. His game is based more on quick hands, reactions and length than athletecism imo. Maybe he wont amaze us with his eurosteps aka Giannis, but solid offense like Jerami Grant right now should be enough. Those players are worth 15-20 M and are necessary to win in playoffs.
Best case scenario his athletecism wont get affected and we get our dpoy candidate back most likely on discount.
We dont play to win next season, i dont know what offer would sway me into trading Isaac.
My money is on Banchero going number 1 !
The Effect
Magic Forum Mock Draft Co-Champ
And1: 2,053

Post#33 » by The Effect » Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:16 pm

If the nuggets would do MPj for Isaac with fillers, sign me up right now!

They are pretty much the same player except one fills a need for us and one fills a need for the nuggets
MPj is a very good offensive player with long term injury issues
Isaac is a very good defensive player with short and long term injury concerns

Denver would get that defender to help them against guys like durant, LeBron and giannis
We would get our go-to elite scorer to help us actually put points on the board

Return to Orlando Magic