ImageImageImage

Malik Beasley Arrested (Marijuana Possession + Stolen Property)

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Midw35t
Senior
And1: 564

Re: Malik Beasley Arrested (Marijuana Possession + Stolen Property) 

Post#41 » by Midw35t » Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:29 am

KGdaBom wrote:
D1SGRUNTL3D wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:Anthony Edwards chances of being our #1 pick just went way up.

I’m team wiseman but that’s with a future that has Beasley hanging outside the arc and draining 3s for us as a starting 2.

I would now take Edwards, gamble that he becomes a Donovan Mitchell type star and go from there. Save our money we’d otherwise spend on MB and cut that fat in the process

I'm still team Wiseman, Okongwu and Deni over Edwards. This incident isn't enough to make me want to get rid of him, but if we can get a sign and trade of him for something good I'm more open to it than I was.

I agree on Wiseman. Deni I could get behind at number 1, cautiously. OO would have to be the result of a trade back, otherwise I wouldn't want to see it.

But I am not a NBA scout.

As a bottom tier team in the west you do not shuffle your board because of a middling player that wasn't guaranteed to wear the jersey next season. Especially when you have the #1 pick.

I am hopeful they get this right, if not, we are what they thought we are.
SO_MONEY
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,021

Post#42 » by SO_MONEY » Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:30 am

KGdaBom wrote:
Midw35t wrote:
Jedzz wrote:
I really hope they don't try to undercut him badly. Cheapskating hardworking and high level shooting players seems like the worst thing a team like this could do to itself.

He shot out of his mind for 14 games...

Denver chose to pay Harris and Barton for a reason. You can't knock their eye for talent.

Paying on perceived potential was already questionable. Now you screw around on the cusp of your first big check? In an odd world/economy.

Prove much more.

I would say a worse thing would be to handcuff your team by overpaying hope rather than proof.

Let the market set his price. Match whatever contract offer he gets up to $12 million a year. He might not find anything better than 8.

He would get at least the MLE. Yes this will lower the ask, no it will not be as low as 8mil...lets be real.
Midw35t
Senior

Post#43 » by Midw35t » Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:32 am

KGdaBom wrote:
Midw35t wrote:
Calinks wrote:If this stuff is directly correlated to him he has to be way smarter.

1. If you are using weed or around people doing it, obviously keep that stuff in the home/low key.

2. There is zero reasons for him to owning stolen or illegal weapons. You have the freaking money to get whatever legal gun you want through proper channels, no need to skimp and make shady purchases. Just stupid and asking for trouble. Maybe he has like illegal weapons or something but that's being stupid too in his position, at least don't have those out.

3. If you have friends over and they are causing issues (trespassing stuff) you got to keep them in check. They can't behave, they can't come over. If Beasley is the one acting up, he needs to be better.

Got to make better decisions Beasley. Also always have to be image-conscious in his position, doing this in a contract off-season. Not good.

2 - Plenty of reasons.

Enlighten us to all the reasons.

Most households should want a gun off the books.

Doing illegal things, riding around with it, etc. That is definitely stupid.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,661

Post#44 » by KGdaBom » Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:34 am

Midw35t wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
Midw35t wrote:
2 - Plenty of reasons.

Enlighten us to all the reasons.

I don't even want a gun period. If I had one off the books I would be risking imprisonment.
Midw35t
Senior

Post#45 » by Midw35t » Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:34 am

SO_MONEY wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
Midw35t wrote:

Denver chose to pay Harris and Barton for a reason. You can't knock their eye for talent.

Paying on perceived potential was already questionable. Now you screw around on the cusp of your first big check? In an odd world/economy.

Prove much more.

I would say a worse thing would be to handcuff your team by overpaying hope rather than proof.

Let the market set his price. Match whatever contract offer he gets up to $12 million a year. He might not find anything better than 8.

He would get at least the MLE. Yes this will lower the ask, no it will not be as low as 8mil...lets be real.

What has Beasley actually proven?

Lou Will who had a track record of a firearm off the bench made 8 mil per.

Beasley has outdone that in 14 games?
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#46 » by KGdaBom » Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:35 am

SO_MONEY wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
Midw35t wrote:

Prove much more.

They keep changing the MLE. What is it now? 9 Million. Will the COVID reduced revenues possibly reduce the MLE?
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#47 » by KGdaBom » Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:36 am

Midw35t wrote:
SO_MONEY wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:Let the market set his price. Match whatever contract offer he gets up to $12 million a year. He might not find anything better than 8.

Very good way of putting it.
Midw35t
Senior

Post#48 » by Midw35t » Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:37 am

KGdaBom wrote:
Midw35t wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:Enlighten us to all the reasons.

I don't even want a gun period. If I had one off the books I would be risking imprisonment.

Should I assume you're a felon, or just do not know proper channels?
Midw35t
Senior

Post#49 » by Midw35t » Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:38 am

KGdaBom wrote:
Midw35t wrote:
SO_MONEY wrote:

Very good way of putting it.

Especially in this odd year, with no known cap.

Another thing to consider is that KAT was out for the entirety.

We were trial testing a new system, and without KAT, Beasley had a green light when we were playing for nothing.

What happens when his shots are reduced by at least a third (and I'm being conservative here)?

What else can he provide to warrant taking up 12-15 mil in cap? Especially after screwing up ahead of time.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#50 » by KGdaBom » Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:40 am

Midw35t wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
Midw35t wrote:

When you said off the books I assumed you meant illegally. What did you mean?
No I'm not a felon. I just don't want a gun. I don't believe guns are a good thing to have in my home.
Midw35t
Senior

Post#51 » by Midw35t » Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:52 am

KGdaBom wrote:
Midw35t wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:I don't even want a gun period. If I had one off the books I would be risking imprisonment.

No I'm not a felon. I just don't want a gun. I don't believe guns are a good thing to have in my home.

I cant help you there. But you could find out.

We may have lived different lives. Personally, I wouldn't want to be caught without means to protect my family. From animal or person.

Try a range some day, if you haven't before. Familiarity is never a bad thing for anything.

I personally hate guns myself, but I recognize their importance.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#52 » by KGdaBom » Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:06 am

Midw35t wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
Midw35t wrote:

I cant help you there. But you could find out.

We may have lived different lives. Personally, I wouldn't want to be caught without means to protect my family. From animal or person.

Try a range some day, if you haven't before. Familiarity is never a bad thing for anything.

I personally hate guns myself, but I recognize their importance.

A gun would be more likely to harm me or someone I love than protect them. I've shot a gun before. My grandfather was a New York state champion marksman.
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#53 » by Jedzz » Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:37 am

Midw35t wrote:
Jedzz wrote:
Midw35t wrote:
How about 4/30 after this, or less. He screwed the tiny leverage he had.

I really hope they don't try to undercut him badly. Cheapskating hardworking and high level shooting players seems like the worst thing a team like this could do to itself.

Prove much more.

They don't have to overpay him to give him the deal he deserves.

You can't knock their eye for talent. Agree. That's why they had too many to give minutes to and pay all of them. That's why Rosas targeted two of their players during the Wolves massive deadline roster flip.

You want to treat this guy like they did Cunningham or something now for having a police related event before know much?

He's had 33 starts in his career. Not 14. His stats while starting are startling to say the least.
33 games. avg 32.5 mins, avg 7 3PA, TS% .635, avg .507 FG, .458 3FG, .818 FT. ! 50/46/82 !

Do you need that in Red to Understand? 50/46/82 over the 33 starts.

That means not only did he shoot "out of his mind" for the 14 starts here, but for the 19 starts elsewhere as well. In fact, he only shot 47/43/76 in his 14 starts for MN midseason. Which means he shot much better than 50/46/82 while starting for Denver on the team he had more experience with. Which makes total sense. The good news for us is he had a really high shot load while here and he maintained his numbers in the stratosphere as he did. I see his total shots per game coming down a bit when Towns is also playing, and that along with better team familiarity probably will help jack his accuracy numbers back up to where they were while starting with Denver. So, yes, maybe even better accuracy than the 14 games we saw while starting here.

Some here want to use him him off the bench in their great hopes of a 6th man saving bench scoring. Screw them all.
The difference in shooting from Beasley between bench role vs starting is too large.
42/36/80 bench reserve (avg 15mins). Still good numbers to pay for.
50/46/82 starting. (avg 32.5 mins). Greatness numbers!

How many Wolves players all time can claim at least 50/46/82 during their NBA starts? Are there any? You tell me.

I know Karl Towns is right up there. 53/40/83 These are career numbers, which are insane.
Anyone else?

Only 8 NBA starting players all time have had single seasons of at least 50/40/90.
Towns has 2017-18 where he shot 54/42/86

Care to restate your belief yet?
UnFadeable21
Veteran
And1: 835

Post#54 » by UnFadeable21 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:37 am

Midw35t wrote:
UnFadeable21 wrote:I would still re-sign him. 4 years 50 million, he would be ideal 6th man in the Eric Gordon, Terrance Ross role for the Wolves.

How about 4/30 after this, or less. He screwed the tiny leverage he had.

Detroit and the Knicks should have a lot of money. Shooting is a need. I wouldn’t be surprised if he got a big offer sheet from them.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,583

Post#55 » by Klomp » Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:42 am

Midw35t wrote:He shot out of his mind for 14 games...

Didn't they choose Mason Plumlee over Jusuf Nurkic?
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#56 » by Jedzz » Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:50 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
Midw35t wrote:Most households should want a gun off the books.

If you have already broken laws your rights may already be diminished. If that's your situation, don't keep one.

You have the right to bear arms in this country. Not stolen guns, and maybe not automatic types depending where you live. Other restrictions apply. If you have one you best know where it came from originally, know how to use it, and how not to use or carry it.

Inalienable = unable to be taken away from or given away by the possessor.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#57 » by KGdaBom » Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:07 pm

Jedzz wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
Midw35t wrote:Most households should want a gun off the books.

If you have already broken laws your rights may already be diminished. If that's your situation, don't keep one.

You have the right to bear arms in this country. Not stolen guns, and maybe not automatic types depending where you live. Other restrictions apply. If you have one you best know where it came from originally, know how to use it, and how not to use or carry it.

Inalienable = unable to be taken away from or given away by the possessor.

I was just wondering about what he meant by off the books. I took it to mean illegally.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#58 » by Jedzz » Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:15 pm

Midw35t wrote:Especially in this odd year, with no known cap.

We were trial testing a new system, and without KAT, Beasley had a green light when we were playing for nothing.

What happens when his shots are reduced by at least a third (and I'm being conservative here)?

His shots won't be reduced by a Third by simply adding Towns. Other players took plenty of shots while Towns was out. Wiggins had more FGA when Towns was here than Beasley had in what you call a test. Wiggins just wasn't anywhere near accurate enough.

His accuracy as a starter with better players around him goes higher. Proven in the 19 starts he has while not with Wolves. The games you refuse to admit to.

An average of 50/46/82 as a starter in 33 total starts.
An average of only 47/43/76 as a starter in MN without KAT. 8.2 3FGA and 16.6 FGA

The only number we really know is that he turned down an offer from Denver to extend at 10/yr. Because he is simply worth more.
Midw35t wrote:What has Beasley actually proven?

Lou Williams is a good player. But he doesn't shoot at this high of level. Lou= 42/35/82
He's also 33 years old on his 15th season and 6"1.

Again, Beasley in 33 starts has "proven" 50/46/82. He's 23 years old and 6'4.

You don't want to pay shooters like this? Keep losing. Go take chances in the draft and we can keep watching other teams make their baskets in the playoffs.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#59 » by KGdaBom » Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:07 pm

Jedzz wrote:
Midw35t wrote:Especially in this odd year, with no known cap.

His shots won't be reduced by a Third by simply adding Towns. Other players took plenty of shots while Towns was out. Wiggins had more FGA when Towns was here than Beasley had in what you call a test. Wiggins just wasn't anywhere near accurate enough.

His accuracy as a starter with better players around him goes higher. Proven in the 19 starts he has while not with Wolves. The games you refuse to admit to.

An average of 50/46/82 as a starter in 33 total starts.
An average of only 47/43/76 as a starter in MN without KAT. 8.2 3FGA and 16.6 FGA

The only number we really know is that he turned down an offer from Denver to extend at 10/yr. Because he is simply worth more.
Midw35t wrote:What has Beasley actually proven?

Lou Williams is a good player. But he doesn't shoot at this high of level. Lou= 42/35/82
He's also 33 years old on his 15th season and 6"1.

Again, Beasley in 33 starts has "proven" 50/46/82. He's 23 years old and 6'4.

You don't want to pay shooters like this? Keep losing. Go take chances in the draft and we can keep watching other teams make their baskets in the playoffs.

Jedzz I 100% get where you are coming from, but 33 games is still a very small sample size. Beasley is not a proven 40%+ 3 point shooter. The more that comes out about his arrest the more concerning it is also. If reports are true the reason police came to his house was he pulled a gun on a car that happened to be parked in front of his house. He pointed it at the occupants and told them to move along pointing it at them as they drove away. Then when the police arrived he escalated things by shouting at the police. Maybe he's being unfairly profiled and BLM will make a martyr of him.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#60 » by Jedzz » Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:18 pm

KGdaBom wrote:Beasley is not a proven 40%+ 3 point shooter. .

The hell he's not. He starts, he shoots well over it. That's how it works for every other starter.

He has much more games of experience from bench and he shoots well from there as well. But these two roles aren't the same for many players. I don't expect the numbers to be the same from the starting/bench roles. The proof is there.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves