ImageImageImage

Kemba Walker Thread

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

Ernest
Sixth Man
And1: 1,271

Re: Kemba Walker Thread 

Post#561 » by Ernest » Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:12 pm

Well the Raptors def picked Kemba as the guy they wanted to slow down, and they did a pretty good job. I think we need a few more games against the heat to see what he's going to give us going forward. Even though Tatum is the better player now and Smart can score just as much on any given night, it's a pretty smart game plan to take Kemba out of it. I'm not worried though. He'll have a big game next game I bet and then the heat will be forced to choose if they want Butler on him or Tatum.
BleedGreen1989
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,776

Post#562 » by BleedGreen1989 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:28 pm

Ernest wrote:Well the Raptors def picked Kemba as the guy they wanted to slow down, and they did a pretty good job. I think we need a few more games against the heat to see what he's going to give us going forward. Even though Tatum is the better player now and Smart can score just as much on any given night, it's a pretty smart game plan to take Kemba out of it. I'm not worried though. He'll have a big game next game I bet and then the heat will be forced to choose if they want Butler on him or Tatum.

Have more confidence than I do.

What have we seen to suggest he's going to have a good game at any point right now?
Matt5
Junior
And1: 300

Post#563 » by Matt5 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:14 am

BleedGreen1989 wrote:
Ernest wrote:Well the Raptors def picked Kemba as the guy they wanted to slow down, and they did a pretty good job. I think we need a few more games against the heat to see what he's going to give us going forward. Even though Tatum is the better player now and Smart can score just as much on any given night, it's a pretty smart game plan to take Kemba out of it. I'm not worried though. He'll have a big game next game I bet and then the heat will be forced to choose if they want Butler on him or Tatum.

What have we seen to suggest he's going to have a good game at any point right now?

You called it!
BleedGreen1989
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,776

Post#564 » by BleedGreen1989 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:20 am

Automattic wrote:
BleedGreen1989 wrote:

You called it!

Reverse jinx for the win.
Matt5
Junior
And1: 300

Post#565 » by Matt5 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:30 am

BleedGreen1989 wrote:
Automattic wrote:
BleedGreen1989 wrote:

You called it!

Reverse jinx for the win.

Yah Baby!
TheSheriff
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,219

Post#566 » by TheSheriff » Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:01 am

My issue with Kemba is that he is so bad at defense, that he absolutely needs to dominate on offense to be worthwhile playing. If he isn’t scoring he’s a huge negative.
Green89
RealGM
And1: 26,600

Post#567 » by Green89 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:42 am

Coaches need to go back to the last three games and show Kemba video of all the spots he passed up **** shots. This is ridiculous now.
jfs1000d
RealGM
And1: 13,963

Kemba Walker Thread 

Post#568 » by jfs1000d » Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:46 am

He had a good 3 to tie. Brown had a good look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ernest
Sixth Man
And1: 1,271

Post#569 » by Ernest » Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:45 am

The zone is killing us and specifically Kemba. It looks so easy too. Take away Kembas option to just jump into a 3 from the get go.
FlatearthZorro
RealGM
And1: 11,886

Post#570 » by FlatearthZorro » Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:35 am

TheSheriff wrote:My issue with Kemba is that he is so bad at defense, that he absolutely needs to dominate on offense to be worthwhile playing. If he isn’t scoring he’s a huge negative.

His defensive ratings aren't that bad. And he's actually putting effort into it, problem is his offense, oddly enough.
Good assessment:

PLO wrote:Tatum played OK - took advantage of a few mismatches - decent on the defensive end. He is what we thought he was going into the season - a technically very proficient player operating close to his career ceiling as a rookie.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 87,845

Post#571 » by zoyathedestroya » Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:32 pm

Read on Twitter
jfs1000d
RealGM
And1: 13,963

Post#572 » by jfs1000d » Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:19 am

FlatearthZorro wrote:
TheSheriff wrote:My issue with Kemba is that he is so bad at defense, that he absolutely needs to dominate on offense to be worthwhile playing. If he isn’t scoring he’s a huge negative.

His defensive ratings aren't that bad. And he's actually putting effort into it, problem is his offense, oddly enough.

Kemba tries on D. We didn’t get killed in this game on d from the PG spot.

I am worried about the knee. Wasn’t explosive every game in the bubble.

I am really sick of Hayward’s injuries. He is tough, but stop getting hurt. Kudos to him for playing hurt.

Kemba is fine if he is healthy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Green89
RealGM
And1: 26,600

Post#573 » by Green89 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:25 am

Is it an injury issue with Kemba or a decline? Not going to lie, I'm pretty worried considering his salary. Also, next year's playoffs, whether he's better or not, coaches are going to go at him like Nurse and Spo did in these playoffs.
akhan786
Starter
And1: 2,017

Post#574 » by akhan786 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:44 am

Got to trade Kemba if we ever want to see Tatum and Brown reach their ceilings

Kemba has served his role admirably as an older player that can carry some responsibility in this transitional year of JT/JB being for the first time the full alphas of a playoff contender for a full year. If we keep him longer, JT especially will use him as a crutch in the clutch instead of blossoming into a true NBA great closer

Now it’s time to cash in on Kemba especially since what he can provide for us going forward is definitely not worth his contract and a desperate need for a big man
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,875

Post#575 » by Bleeding Green » Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:46 am

NO injury or decline, he's just a tiny point guard. Who is the last tiny point guard that did **** in the playoffs?
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
TheSheriff
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,219

Post#576 » by TheSheriff » Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:52 am

Bleeding Green wrote:NO injury or decline, he's just a tiny point guard. Who is the last tiny point guard that did **** in the playoffs?

As an elite offensive option? Allen Iverson, probably. Kyrie is a little taller.
darylbe
Rookie
And1: 554

Post#577 » by darylbe » Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:10 am

Get rid of him. The defense kills us, he doesn't have enough "big" game experience, less him go to the small market teams and rot.

We are a defense first team. Where he contributes nothing. I think it's easily replaced.

Buhbye, don't let the door hit ya on the way out.
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,170

Post#578 » by djFan71 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:39 am

Bleeding Green wrote:NO injury or decline, he's just a tiny point guard. Who is the last tiny point guard that did **** in the playoffs?

Weren't you OK with us having Kemba, Edwards and Waters, though? This was exactly my issue with signing Kemba in general, but also with drafting those guys. One as a sparkplug, regular season roster spot, great. But 3 on the same roster and one maxed has always spelled trouble to me.

I think Kemba's a great guy/leader and still obviously has some skills that help a team. Dude was All-NBA last year, all star this year. And probably next year. It just always boiled down to lack of playoff success
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,875

Post#579 » by Bleeding Green » Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:06 am

Yeah I have nothing against Kemba. He can't be on the floor when the game matters, though. Way too easy to attack him every possession. As for having him on the roster, the option seemed to be have nothing or have Kemba, so I think signing Kemba was an obvious, no brainer decision. Edwards and Waters make like the league minimum and you need those contracts to fill out the back of the roster. I don't want them on the floor when the games matter unless they turn into absolute defensive freaks. They combined for like 400 minutes this year and weren't in the rotation at all. I don't want to rehash draft nonsense every thread, but if we're gonna be complaining about second round rookies, we're looking at the wrong things.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,170

Post#580 » by djFan71 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:18 am

The option wasn't Kemba or nothing, though. We could have used our cap space wisely. We could have done the MEM Iggy/pick deal with GSW and that pick is GOLD. We wouldn't've trade Baynes for a downgrade in pick last year to 30 this year. We basically chose:

Kemba and 2020 MIL (#30)

over

Baynes, 2019 BOS (#24), Iggy, GSW protected 2024 (top 5, top 2 in '25, '26 unprotected). Somewhere ~ 12M in cap space in 2019 (can't remember the exact #).

And, sure maybe GSW doesn't trade with us instead of MEM, but we could've gotten Harkless and a pick like LAC did. Plus, GSW has the Lacob connection, and they owed us from David Lee still.... :) But, even no deal and split that cap space up on cheaper vets on shorter deals.

And it was just obvious that this was a very likely scenario for Kemba. Great regular season, challenges in the playoffs due to height. And injury worries as a 30 year old short guard who relies on his burst. Super predictable.

Return to Boston Celtics