ImageImageImage

What is Jaylen Brown's ceiling?

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 18,486

Re: What is Jaylen Brown's ceiling? 

Post#401 » by playa-hater » Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:19 am

50yrceltsfan wrote:
CSL_1904 wrote:His ceiling is superstar. And I don't care what anyone else thinks.

Will he get there? I don't know. He obviously needs to polish some stuff in his game. But he's an incredible hard worker, has great mentality and has improved at an oustanding pace. Love JB.

His game is similar to, and on a path to reach, Kawai Leonard's, who is 29 and reached superstar status around 26. His trajectory and pace of improvement is at a high angle as we've seen the past 2 seasons.

He's not better than Tatum, but to be honest he's just as good overall. He's a year older, physically stronger. He has terrific control and pace when finishing, his layups in traffic almost always go in, never clang off the board. He's got a quick and deadly 3, especially when hot. And he creates his own mid-range jumper and hits it more often than not. I have more confidence we're gonna score points when the ball's in his hands than in Tatum's. And I love Tatum too.

Not to mention his D which is generally excellent, and his ability to cover any type of player. And a leader of men. Total stud.

Meant to also add that his offense is pretty consistent throughout the game, not what I'd call a streaky player. His mid range and drives are reliable.

sorry but strong disagree here. Tatum initiates the whole offense at a much better clip than Brown has. Tatum can be "Kobe-lite one day.. Brown can be Kawhi-lite perhaps though.
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS
themoneyteam2
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,287

Post#402 » by themoneyteam2 » Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:14 am

BostonCouchGM wrote:If Jaylen played in any other system that doesn't result in him getting absolutely wide open threes. He'd be pretty useless. If there's anyone near him he's usually missing. He can't create for himself or others consistently because his handle is so suspect and he doesn't process information quickly enough. I'm not sure how this equates to me hating him. I just hate his game or lack thereof. He is a good finisher. But most of the finishes people on here do black flips over aren't high degree of difficulty. They're usually uncontested tbh. People are laughably excited about his 28 pt performance when it took 23 shots to get there, he played awful defense, and turned the ball over. When Hayward leaves and he becomes our 2nd best player we aren't going to be contending. As long as he's our 3rd best then we're golden. If he's our 4th we're screwed because he makes way too much money going forward to be a team's 4th best player. Stars in this league are guys who can initiate the offense. Guys who demand teammates to clear out because they're about to go to work. Guys teams have to double, not leave wide open like they do with Jaylen. Until he improves his handle dramatically he'll remain a great role player, not a star like so many on here believe.

When people on here stop being overwhelmingly hyperbolic about Jaylen Brown, I'll stop "hating"

Brown had 26 pts with only 2 3PA in game 3 but yeah you’re right he’d be pretty useless if he didn’t play in a system that doesn’t result in him getting wide open three pointers. Great analysis as usual, chief.

“ People are laughably excited about his 28 pt performance when it took 23 shots to get there”

You’re kidding right? In what world is it laughable to be excited about a player going 12-23 for 28 pts? Shooting over 50% from the field isn’t good anymore? Please say sike.

Well if you’re just looking for attention like you seem to be, you got your wish. I was truthfully waiting for this post to come up. Win or lose this was the most predictable post of the past 2 weeks and it made me laugh out loud. Thanks for the laugh! Never change, buddy. Never change.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,671

Post#403 » by Fencer reregistered » Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:51 am

themoneyteam2 wrote:
BostonCouchGM wrote:If Jaylen played in any other system that doesn't result in him getting absolutely wide open threes. He'd be pretty useless. If there's anyone near him he's usually missing. He can't create for himself or others consistently because his handle is so suspect and he doesn't process information quickly enough. I'm not sure how this equates to me hating him. I just hate his game or lack thereof. He is a good finisher. But most of the finishes people on here do black flips over aren't high degree of difficulty. They're usually uncontested tbh. People are laughably excited about his 28 pt performance when it took 23 shots to get there, he played awful defense, and turned the ball over. When Hayward leaves and he becomes our 2nd best player we aren't going to be contending. As long as he's our 3rd best then we're golden. If he's our 4th we're screwed because he makes way too much money going forward to be a team's 4th best player. Stars in this league are guys who can initiate the offense. Guys who demand teammates to clear out because they're about to go to work. Guys teams have to double, not leave wide open like they do with Jaylen. Until he improves his handle dramatically he'll remain a great role player, not a star like so many on here believe.

When people on here stop being overwhelmingly hyperbolic about Jaylen Brown, I'll stop "hating"

Brown had 26 pts with only 2 3PA in game 3 but yeah you’re right he’d be pretty useless if he didn’t play in a system that doesn’t result in him getting wide open three pointers. Great analysis as usual, chief.

“ People are laughably excited about his 28 pt performance when it took 23 shots to get there”

You’re kidding right? In what world is it laughable to be excited about a player going 12-23 for 28 pts? Shooting over 50% from the field isn’t good anymore? Please say sike.

Well if you’re just looking for attention like you seem to be, you got your wish. I was truthfully waiting for this post to come up. Win or lose this was the most predictable post of the past 2 weeks and it made me laugh out loud. Thanks for the laugh! Never change, buddy. Never change.

The idea that the Celtics' system is the only one in which Jaylen could sprint all over halfcourt to get open for a 3, or outrun everybody in transition for a layup, is absurd.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
rd26
Junior
And1: 592

Post#404 » by rd26 » Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:18 am

I know better than to ask, but who are these iso God #2s you speak of? Westbrook?
rd26
Junior

Post#405 » by rd26 » Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:24 am

Floody100 wrote:Is he now out second best player ?
He’s shown more theses playoffs than Kemba.

For me at least its been obvious for awhile that he is at minimum the 2nd most important player.

Hayward and Kemba are both smarter, but don't have the health or raw tools to be "better"
rd26
Junior

Post#406 » by rd26 » Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:26 am

Theocy wrote:When he puts his mind to it he plays like kawhai

If he manages to improve his shooting a bit and continue growing stronger he will be a celtics for a long time. Maybe Murray is flashier and maybe a better offensive player but brown feels like a better defender. Top 20 player by the end of his current contract. And that probably puts us in a great position to get another all star to put up next to Tatum and brown in 3 years time.

Watching butler go against us this series I think jaylen can surpass him

At least for this series, he already has, the problem is, so has Dragic.
rd26
Junior

Post#407 » by rd26 » Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:29 am

Fencer reregistered wrote:
rd26 wrote:I've got a pretty unorthodox comp. I am looking at role and impact, I am NOT trying to say JB is as good as a hall of famer.

What about James Worthy? He was never the best or even second best player on those Lakers teams, but he was usually the difference maker.

Any given night, he could show up and be the best player on the court, didnt matter who else was out there. Normally, the bigger the moment, the bigger his game, and when he was rolling, they were practically untouchable.

Lastly, JB seems to generate the same level of hate from some Cs fans that Worthy did.

The top reason I've been pushing a Worthy comparison is that Jaylen has become elite at finishing the break.

Different eras, of course -- Worthy is hardly remembered as a post player now, but had skills that would now make him the top post player in the league. Nobody these days thinks of Jaylen as a special 3-pt shooter, but his current skills would have made him elite back then. Each might have learned the other skill set had it been more in vogue in their time.

Sorry hadnt seen this comp b4, but I like it.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,671

Post#408 » by Fencer reregistered » Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:05 pm

rd26 wrote:
Fencer reregistered wrote:
rd26 wrote:I've got a pretty unorthodox comp. I am looking at role and impact, I am NOT trying to say JB is as good as a hall of famer.

What about James Worthy? He was never the best or even second best player on those Lakers teams, but he was usually the difference maker.

Any given night, he could show up and be the best player on the court, didnt matter who else was out there. Normally, the bigger the moment, the bigger his game, and when he was rolling, they were practically untouchable.

Lastly, JB seems to generate the same level of hate from some Cs fans that Worthy did.

The top reason I've been pushing a Worthy comparison is that Jaylen has become elite at finishing the break.

Different eras, of course -- Worthy is hardly remembered as a post player now, but had skills that would now make him the top post player in the league. Nobody these days thinks of Jaylen as a special 3-pt shooter, but his current skills would have made him elite back then. Each might have learned the other skill set had it been more in vogue in their time.

Sorry hadnt seen this comp b4, but I like it.

It feels right. As a young player, he was close to being the GOAT third banana. In his prime he was a strong second banana, and looked like the alpha in plenty of particular games.

And the general aggression of his skills is recalled more than the specifics. My most memorable Worthy plays are hard to find on video, such as the high-post jab-step single-dribble drives, or that poke steal/keep-the-dribble-alive breakaway in the Finals. The same may be true some day of Jaylen's stop-fake-fake-fake-pop drives, or of the distances he sprints zig-zagging around half court to eventually get an "easy" shot.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
Floody100
Analyst
And1: 4,990

Post#409 » by Floody100 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:35 am

Cave ?
Memokerobi
Rookie
And1: 2,288

Post#410 » by Memokerobi » Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:41 am

There’s no reason he can’t become at least as good as Jimmy Butler
London2Boston
General Manager
And1: 12,052

Post#411 » by London2Boston » Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:59 am

Our 2nd best player throughout the playoffs and when Tatum has off nights, a few times he covered for him too.

Remember when critics were laughing at his contract?
BostonCouchGM
Head Coach
And1: 4,857

Post#412 » by BostonCouchGM » Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:08 am

Memokerobi wrote:There’s no reason he can’t become at least as good as Jimmy Butler

he has a terrible handle and poor BBIQ. Two major flaws that are innate. There's some improvement to be had through hard work as far as his handle, and the game will slow down further the more experience he gets to aid his BBIQ, but only to a point. When you grow up playing basketball there are guys who are natural basketball players who dribble with their heads up, don't panic in traffic, and can initiate the offense. He's four years into his career and he still can't do these things. Herro is a rookie and does all of those things for the Heat at 20 y/o.

Jimmy Butler always had the BBIQ and handle. The only thing he didn't have was the shot, and he still doesn't from three. But he improved his shot from midrange to make him no longer be a liability. That, combined with his BBIQ, handle and defense allowed him to grow into an all-star. Jaylen is a much better shooter. Night and day difference. Which is why he's so good with wide open corner threes. But they have to be wide open. And even then he's streaky. Jaylen is also very distracted by off the court endeavors which will get in the way of him improving his game. Jimmy Butler was all about basketball. Jimmy Butler in his prime has basically been a 20-6-5 guy with better defense, both man and team, than Jaylen. People actually think Jaylen will suddenly become a 5 assist a game guy? With his handle and BBIQ? C'mon.

You people need to stop putting such high expectations and pressure on the kid to be something he isn't. I used to think maybe he could become Iggy 2.0 but even Iggy was getting 5-6 assists a game and igniting the offense so that wasn't fair to Jaylen. I'm telling you, he's Rudy Gay 2.0. with better defense. Not a top 40 player but still a very good player in who can help teams win as long as he's their 3rd best player.
TommyPointGawd
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,817

Post#413 » by TommyPointGawd » Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:17 am

BostonCouchGM wrote:
Memokerobi wrote:There’s no reason he can’t become at least as good as Jimmy Butler

he has a terrible handle and poor BBIQ. Two major flaws that are innate. There's some improvement to be had through hard work as far as his handle, and the game will slow down further the more experience he gets to aid his BBIQ, but only to a point. When you grow up playing basketball there are guys who are natural basketball players who dribble with their heads up, don't panic in traffic, and can initiate the offense. He's four years into his career and he still can't do these things. Herro is a rookie and does all of those things for the Heat at 20 y/o.

Jimmy Butler always had the BBIQ and handle. The only thing he didn't have was the shot, and he still doesn't from three. But he improved his shot from midrange to make him no longer be a liability. That, combined with his BBIQ, handle and defense allowed him to grow into an all-star. Jaylen is a much better shooter. Night and day difference. Which is why he's so good with wide open corner threes. But they have to be wide open. And even then he's streaky. Jaylen is also very distracted by off the court endeavors which will get in the way of him improving his game. Jimmy Butler was all about basketball. Jimmy Butler in his prime has basically been a 20-6-5 guy with better defense, both man and team, than Jaylen. People actually think Jaylen will suddenly become a 5 assist a game guy? With his handle and BBIQ? C'mon.

You people need to stop putting such high expectations and pressure on the kid to be something he isn't. I used to think maybe he could become Iggy 2.0 but even Iggy was getting 5-6 assists a game and igniting the offense so that wasn't fair to Jaylen. I'm telling you, he's Rudy Gay 2.0. with better defense. Not a top 40 player but still a very good player in who can help teams win as long as he's their 3rd best player.

God bless you and your level of dedication.
I apologize for the things I have said in the past. :cry:
rd26
Junior

Post#414 » by rd26 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:29 am

I'm thinking he already is.
rd26
Junior

Post#415 » by rd26 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:30 am

BostonCouchGM wrote:

Only reason I opened this thread was that I needed a laugh. You didn't disappoint. Thx
threrf23
RealGM
And1: 4,395

Post#416 » by threrf23 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:43 am

BostonCouchGM wrote: I'm telling you, he's Rudy Gay 2.0. with better defense. Not a top 40 player but still a very good player in who can help teams win as long as he's their 3rd best player.

I actually really like the Rudy Gay comp as a starting point, and I agree that Jaylen is more Gay than Butler.

But he's a better shooter than Rudy was, and even you are acknowledging better defense. And he is still fairly young and should only get better.

Rudy Gay was an underrated two way player when healthy. If Jaylen is a better Rudy Gay, he is most definitely a top 40 player.
Upperclass
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,767

Post#417 » by Upperclass » Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:03 am

Brown isn't better than Gay was. He's similar to a Stephen Jackson. A guy who can get you points and stops but can't be one of your 5 best players. He'll be best as a 6/7th man that comes in with a purpose or as a 17+ppg guy on a bad or mediocre team.
Saint Lazarus
Assistant Coach
And1: 7,458

Post#418 » by Saint Lazarus » Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:12 am

Upperclass wrote:Brown isn't better than Gay was. He's similar to a Stephen Jackson. A guy who can get you points and stops but can't be one of your 5 best players. He'll be best as a 6/7th man that comes in with a purpose or as a 17+ppg guy on a bad or mediocre team.

What? :lol: If he’s a 17ppg guy on a bad team then what the hell was he on the Celtics this year? How did we make the ECF with him averaging 21 and 7?
dorkestra wrote:Embiid is embarrassing the whole city of Philadelphia. Wake up you little bitch

The Comedian wrote:Saint Lazarus playing 4D chess right now.

This dude legit has other Celtics fans arguing with him :lol:
Spin Move
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,037

Post#419 » by Spin Move » Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:32 am

Upperclass wrote:Brown isn't better than Gay was. He's similar to a Stephen Jackson. A guy who can get you points and stops but can't be one of your 5 best players. He'll be best as a 6/7th man that comes in with a purpose or as a 17+ppg guy on a bad or mediocre team.

Can't be one of your best 5 players what?????? I mean there can be an argument he can't be your 2nd best, but 3rd or 4th best I mean come on! he averaged 21.5 7 and 2 these playoffs he is a very good defender and a solid shooter who tends to take analytically sound shots (drives and 3). He needs to work on his passing and his handle, he is 23. NBA teams lead by guy under 25 don't win titles. The youngest team to win in a long while was the 2014-2015 warriors and even then Curry was 27 and Draymond and Klay were 25, key players like Igoudala, Andrew Bogut, David Lee were much older. He took a big leap this year, he is not supposed to be a finished product at 23, he is 3-5 years from his peak still barring injury. A better defending Rudy Gay or Glen Robinson is not an awful comp but he has shown alot of work ethic and should continue to get better. If he improves his handle and grows as a passer he is scottie pippen lite or a rich mans Andre Igoudala.
Floody100
Analyst
And1: 4,990

Post#420 » by Floody100 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:34 am

Here come the trolls :lol:

Return to Boston Celtics