ImageImageImage

Kemba Walker Thread

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,875

Re: Kemba Walker Thread 

Post#581 » by Bleeding Green » Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:08 am

Oh ok, that's fair. I think I easily still take Kemba and the Mil pick, but that's just me. Kemba is still very tradeable and better than any other asset in that jumbo platter.. The GSW pick could be great, or Curry, Klay, Draymond could be winning championships every year for the next five years and it's the 30th pick. I imagine the 2024 pick that convey will be like the Milwaukee pick. The 2019 Celtics are definitely worse if they don't sign Kemba Walker I think.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
BRUNiNHO91
RealGM
And1: 22,014

Post#582 » by BRUNiNHO91 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:20 am

Really the only player I'm slightly disappointed in. Dude should have given us more offensively. Missed a lot of real clean looks all playoffs long. Don't think he ever cracked 30 which is pretty ****.
A new dawn will rise in Boston. ‎#StayLoyal THANK YOU TRUTH!
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,170

Post#583 » by djFan71 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:42 am

Bleeding Green wrote:Oh ok, that's fair. I think I easily still take Kemba and the Mil pick, but that's just me. Kemba is still very tradeable and better than any other asset in that jumbo platter.. The GSW pick could be great, or Curry, Klay, Draymond could be winning championships every year for the next five years and it's the 30th pick. I imagine the 2024 pick that convey will be like the Milwaukee pick. The 2019 Celtics are definitely worse if they don't sign Kemba Walker I think.

Yeah, I'm honestly a little torn on the 2019 part even. Say we made no other moves, but had Baynes & Iggy instead of Kemba this series and added a caretaker PG like Corey Joseph in the rotation with Smart & Wanamaker. We're less dynamic for sure, but our defense is a heck of a lot better. And we roll out:

Smart, Brown, Tatum, Hayward, Baynes
Joseph, Iggy, Theis

That's 8 guys you can reliably play instead of the 6 we had. Iggy obviously not an every game contributor, but his experience would have been super helpful. And, we saw tonight he can have a throwback game when it counts.

(Also, I'm not saying Corey Joseph is really good or anything. But he was available for the money we had and a usable vet and just an example)

I will concede, with Hayward hurt, that offense would have been shamblestown at times.

GSW pick, sure it could be 30. But, Steph's 32, Klay & Dray are 30. 2 coming off injury. The only young guy they have under contract that long is your favorite player in the world. And if they're still in contention at that age, they're not running the regular season as the #1 seed. They're slogging thru it in conservation / "just get to the playoffs and turn it on" mode. So, it may not be GOLD.... but it's still a first rounder with the chance it could be really good. It's Nets pickesque in it's high end potential.

EDIT: They do have 2 really good picks, though, which could change the above.

As for Kemba as an asset - he's probably slightly positive trade value at this point due to his contract. We can't really trade him for another year or so anyways unless he asks out, which he won't. Without him, we're players in the FA market next offseason after Hayward expires.

But, he obviously helped us a bunch in the regular season, and hopefully gets his knee healed up and has learned a little from this season and is better next playoffs. If he can score like we've seen him score, you can keep him on the floor even with the defensive targeting. It was really the combo of getting targeted, while not being a huge factor on offense that was the killer.
ParticleMan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,689

Post#584 » by ParticleMan » Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:35 am

I'm disappointed in Kemba too but I think we're stuck with him for the short term. An old undersized score-first PG isn't a hugely in demand quantity unless they are a transcendent scorer like mitchell or murray.

Kemba was terrific for team development tho. i don't think we see Tatum's emergence this year if not for Kemba's leadership. So in terms of team building it was a success. But Kemba is what he is. Maybe he will learn from this playoff experience and come back understanding what he needs to do. He is a vet but a playoff novice, and it really is a different game.
FlatearthZorro
RealGM
And1: 11,886

Post#585 » by FlatearthZorro » Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:44 am

ParticleMan wrote:I'm disappointed in Kemba too but I think we're stuck with him for the short term. An old undersized score-first PG isn't a hugely in demand quantity unless they are a transcendent scorer like mitchell or murray.

Kemba was terrific for team development tho. i don't think we see Tatum's emergence this year if not for Kemba's leadership. So in terms of team building it was a success. But Kemba is what he is. Maybe he will learn from this playoff experience and come back understanding what he needs to do. He is a vet but a playoff novice, and it really is a different game.

Kemba is largely disappointing on offense, which kinda shocked me. He competed on defense and was a good locker room presence. Still not really sure about him getting the money he's getting. Maybe he was hurt and he will do better next year.
Good assessment:

PLO wrote:Tatum played OK - took advantage of a few mismatches - decent on the defensive end. He is what we thought he was going into the season - a technically very proficient player operating close to his career ceiling as a rookie.
100proof
Starter
And1: 1,117

Post#586 » by 100proof » Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:09 pm

ParticleMan wrote:I'm disappointed in Kemba too but I think we're stuck with him for the short term. An old undersized score-first PG isn't a hugely in demand quantity unless they are a transcendent scorer like mitchell or murray.

I think Kemba absolutely fetches a decent price on the market.

Philly, Milwaukee, Clippers, Bulls, Knicks, Pistons, Dallas, Spurs and maybe Pelicans and Suns could all have interest.
will
RealGM
And1: 49,385
Location: Pat's Homestyle Jamaican Restaurant. Shouts to Sheryl's Caribbean Cuisine

Post#587 » by will » Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:32 pm

Kemba 6th man.
FeedReed
Starter
And1: 839

Post#588 » by FeedReed » Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:45 pm

kemba came to play. he was one of the few guys to really bring it. unfortunately a couple of his shots that needed to drop in the 4th didn’t. he hasn’t lost any quickness. if kemba and brown were able to do more without tatum and smart taking yell at the tv BS shots, c’s win.
CelticsPride18
General Manager
And1: 10,858

Post#589 » by CelticsPride18 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:46 pm

Read on Twitter

He was fine. Could have been better if he shot better from 3.
AgentGreen
Head Coach
And1: 3,469

Post#590 » by AgentGreen » Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:19 pm

I like Kemba. But the Pacers got the better deal with Brogdon.

I'd trade him for a good package if we get the oppertunity.
Johnny Tomala
Veteran
And1: 2,057

Post#591 » by Johnny Tomala » Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:56 pm

I never rated him highly so I'm not surprised by his playoff performances. He was terrible for Team USA in 2019 FIBA World Cup and after I saw him chucking there in crunch time I knew what I was going to see in Celtics shirt. Bad contract, it will be tough to trade him.
Disinformation
Starter
And1: 3,076

Post#592 » by Disinformation » Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:09 pm

Can I just ask that our next PG, whenever/whoever, has some size? IT, Kyrie, Kemba. Small PGs have gotten old.
Disinformation's Manifesto for the 2021 Offseason

It's a brave new world. No one knows what's going to happen, least of all me.
captain green
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,664

Post#593 » by captain green » Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:41 pm

A panic trade great attitude but not at all what I wanted to see out of our most expensive piece. And can we please stop getting small pg's with knee issues.
Brown's #1 fan on this forum.
Roddy
Head Coach
And1: 10,807

Post#594 » by Roddy » Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:47 pm

Disinformation wrote:Can I just ask that our next PG, whenever/whoever, has some size? IT, Kyrie, Kemba. Small PGs have gotten old.

Trade for Ben Simmons :wink:
jfs1000d
RealGM
And1: 13,963

Post#595 » by jfs1000d » Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:16 am

He was hurt. Check on Kemba early in year to Kemba post knee. That is concerning. Get that fixed and get that explosiveness back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,314

Post#596 » by Duke4life831 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:27 am

Disinformation wrote:Can I just ask that our next PG, whenever/whoever, has some size? IT, Kyrie, Kemba. Small PGs have gotten old.

A pass first PG is more important in my opinion. A score first PG is no longer really needed with the improvements of Tatum and Brown. I think Kemba's skill set has kind of become redundant.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,528

Post#597 » by Fencer reregistered » Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:37 am

will wrote:Kemba 6th man.

I had a similar thought. If that idea can be sold anywhere, it can be sold here. At least 4 HoFers have served as Celtics 6th men.

(Ramsey, Havlicek, McHale, Walton)
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
will
RealGM
Location: Pat's Homestyle Jamaican Restaurant. Shouts to Sheryl's Caribbean Cuisine

Post#598 » by will » Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:40 am

Fencer reregistered wrote:

I had a similar thought. If that idea can be sold anywhere, it can be sold here. At least 4 HoFers have served as Celtics 6th men.

General observation here...but it puzzles me to this day why guys want to be in the starting 5 so badly. If anything...guys would want to be there when the game is on the line...at the end. Right?

But then again, not too many guys are built for wanting to take game winning shots.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,528

Post#599 » by Fencer reregistered » Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:42 am

will wrote:

General observation here...but it puzzles me to this day why guys want to be in the starting 5 so badly. If anything...guys would want to be there when the game is on the line...at the end. Right?

But then again, not too many guys are built for wanting to take game winning shots.

Starters get a lot of applause at the beginning of the game, along with recognition on TV.
Starters play with and against the best other players.
Starters who also close have the most favorable rest patterns.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
will
RealGM

Post#600 » by will » Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:44 am

will wrote:

Starters get a lot of applause at the beginning of the game, along with recognition on TV.
Starters play with and against the best other players.
Starters who also close have the most favorable rest patterns.

Fair play.

Return to Boston Celtics