Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Re: 2020 2nd Round Draft Pick(s) 

Post#261 » by Ruzious » Sat Sep 26, 2020 2:37 pm

payitforward wrote:
doclinkin wrote:On Nathan Knight. I spent a bit of time watching game-by-game highlights of Wm&Mry, watching for him not only in his own highlights but in others on both teams (does he defend, is he setting screens, etc). It's the offseason in the COVID era, what are you gonna do.

He's smart, he's groundbound for sure and takes short steps up and down the court which keeps him balanced and in control but limits his speed. At times he is floating around watching the action. Mentally active more than physically instinctive in some cases. But really a solid player, and in big games like against Oklahoma he raised his game and came up with some remarkably skillful plays. Ball handling while doubled, long ranged shooting while tightly guarded, etc.

As for fitness. He is not a high energy hustler. Battling for loose balls etc. He boxes out but does not try to rebound outside his area. Just plays fundamentally sound positional defense on that end, with heads up play when the action comes his way. He's not out of shape, but I get the feeling with big time training staff he could develop. It's the area of greatest potential improvement in his game from what I can see. If he gets stronger he can assert his skills better. He's by no means an above the rim player, and is not an anthropometric marvel in other dimensions (standing reach, wingspan, huge hands, etc). But he's a damn good player. Already Strong. Solid. With a frame that can take more muscle.

Otherwise he thinks the game. Rises to the occasion. Doesn't try to do too much. He won't dominate his matchup in the NBA but any coach would be confident to call his number when he glances to his bench.

Good for you for giving this kid such close attention, doc. :)

I believe I read somewhere that he's got a 7'2" reach -- quite good for a 6'10" kid. You use the word "skillful" about him; I did see that as well &, concomitantly, quite a high BBIQ. Worth noting that this kid is all of 6 weeks younger than Thomas Bryant, so you expect him to understand the game.

I'll try to look at that Oklahoma game.

Nathan Knight in that class of 4-year prospects, occasionally 3-year players, especially those from non-elite schools, that I see as seriously under-valued. Fred Van Vleet is the current poster child. These guys usually play significant minutes as Freshmen, then a whole lot of minutes the other 3 years. I don't usually pay much attention to their Freshman numbers, but to interest me they have to play well as Sophomores & also improve in each of their Junior & Senior years.

Because of the cap, the lottery, & other factors, it is extremely difficult for a team to improve vis a vis its competitors unless its FO is just plain smarter than theirs about this category of players. I don't just mean at the bottom of the draft or among undrafted players. In fact, Steph Curry is another poster child for this class of prospects, even though he was the #7 pick in the draft: the 6 guys who went before him -- Blake Griffin, Hasheem Thabeet, James Harden, Tyreke Evans, Ricky Rubio & Jonny Flynn -- include only 1 player who became a real star plus 2 very very good players. But, it also includes 2 outright busts & Evans who was extremely disappointing for a #4 pick.

Like Steph, Draymond is another of those underrated guys. Now imagine the Warriors over the last decade without those 2 guys, & it becomes painfully clear what I mean about having to be smarter than other teams about this particular category of player.

Obviously, I'm not comparing Nathan Knight to Draymond or Steph! :) But, if you can consistently add players who are worth more than what it costs you to acquire them, that will power your improvement very significantly.

(In our case, if you want, just think about Thomas Bryant, Isaac Bonga, Davis Bertans, Garrison Mathews, & Moritz Wagner -- 3 good players, one potentially good player, & one guy who doesn't seem to good -- all of whom came to us effectively at no cost.

End of screed... sorry if boring.

On Mays, I read he has a 6'7 wingspan - can't imagine at 6'4 that he has a 7'2 reach. He's on the small side for a 2 - considering he's probably fully grown at 23. But at a fully mature 23, he'll probably be able to contribute earlier than a lot of 1st rounders. Good sleeper pick. I always get his name mixed up with Desmond Bane's, for some reason. I like Bane better from that group, but Mays is certainly one to consider.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#262 » by Ruzious » Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:33 pm

Is it crazy to say that Payton Pritchard https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/payton-pritchard-1.html is a similar prospect to what Fred VanVleet https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/fred-van-vleet-1.html was coming out of college?
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,570

Post#263 » by pcbothwel » Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:29 pm

Ruzious wrote:Is it crazy to say that Payton Pritchard https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/payton-pritchard-1.html is a similar prospect to what Fred VanVleet https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/fred-van-vleet-1.html was coming out of college?

Ruz... I just mentioned on the draft thread... But One of Riller, Pritchard, Winston, or Flynn is going to be a hit, and I cant figure out which one.

http://www.tankathon.com/players/compare?players=malachi-flynn--payton-pritchard--grant-riller--cassius-winston

Flynn had the best year and has better scoring upside than Winston and playmaking than Pritchard, but it was against terrible competition and he was not impressive as a Fr/So at Washington St. before he transferred.

Pritchard was right behind Flynn and is the best pure shooter, but I dont see he great playmaker and he doesnt create separation. Defense is also a little bit of a worry.

Winston was third and has the best pedigree (Winston is the first player in Big Ten history with 1,600+ points and 800+ assists). i dont like his low rebounding numbers and he appears to lack some pace/quickness that Flynn and Pritchard do well.

Riller is the wild card. An absolute natural and scoring savant. He can score from absolutely any ware and can draw fouls with ease while finishing. He grades out as the worst defensively, but that is partially due to him carrying such a heavy load offensively. He is clearly the best athlete of the group, but he also faced poor competition.

I think an argument could be made for all 4, but Im curious to see what others think. Winston is the easiest to project as he is a pro and will immediately step in as a backup PG. One of the best PnR players outside of Ball in the draft... But he also has a low ceiling. Pritchard entices me more as I believe he will be a better defender than Winston while doing more off the ball. I like Flynn, but his jump in production due to lower competition is worrisome.
Man, Riller is exciting, but not sure I pull the trigger as I have a hard time seeing him succeed outside of his current role.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#264 » by Ruzious » Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:06 pm

Right, Riller is set as an instant offense off the bench role - which is why I call him similar to Lou Williams. He'll be a good 2nd round pick for someone - as long as they don't try to force him into a different role.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,868

Post#265 » by payitforward » Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:57 pm

Dat2U wrote:
payitforward wrote:
wall_glizzy wrote:I like Flynn a lot. I'd be surprised if he fell out of the draft entirely, but it does seem inevitable that some number of the mid-lottery-to-early-2nd cluster of point guards will end of falling for no particular reason other than excessive supply. It'd be great, and presumably relatively easy, for us to buy into the mid-late 2nd to roll the dice on somebody who slips.

We bought a pick from Elton Brand last year; he doesn't like R2 picks it's said -- & just like last year he has a bunch of them: #33, #35 & #50.

Flynn looks a little like Steph... not sayin'.... But, I do like him, & I find it hard to imagine someone who can do what he can obviously do not having a long NBA career!

Great minds think alike. Me & Kev talked him on a bulletsforever podcast. He's my favorite 2nd round pick. A bit of a gunner but shoots it really well and can run an offense too.

If we bought another R2 pick & somehow came away with Xavier Tillman & Malachi Flynn for those 2 picks... I don't think I'd even care who we got with the #9 pick! :)
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
payitforward
RealGM

Post#266 » by payitforward » Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:10 pm

Ruzious wrote:Is it crazy to say that Payton Pritchard https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/payton-pritchard-1.html is a similar prospect to what Fred VanVleet https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/fred-van-vleet-1.html was coming out of college?

Yes, I think it's crazy, Ruz -- Pritchard is a better prospect than VanVleet was. He put up better numbers & played against stiffer competition. His Senior numbers were a nice jump from the years before.

Doesn't mean he'll do what FVV did, but it's absolutely great that you brought him up.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
payitforward
RealGM

Post#267 » by payitforward » Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:13 pm

Ruzious wrote:Right, Riller is set as an instant offense off the bench role - which is why I call him similar to Lou Williams. He'll be a good 2nd round pick for someone - as long as they don't try to force him into a different role.

Some mocks now have him going in the early 20s of R1.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#268 » by payitforward » Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:16 pm

I have never seen this many good guards in R2 in any draft I can think of. On the numbers, it's like one Malcolm Brogdon after another!
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,091

Post#269 » by Dat2U » Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:38 pm

payitforward wrote:
Dat2U wrote:
payitforward wrote:We bought a pick from Elton Brand last year; he doesn't like R2 picks it's said -- & just like last year he has a bunch of them: #33, #35 & #50.

Flynn looks a little like Steph... not sayin'.... But, I do like him, & I find it hard to imagine someone who can do what he can obviously do not having a long NBA career!

Great minds think alike. Me & Kev talked him on a bulletsforever podcast. He's my favorite 2nd round pick. A bit of a gunner but shoots it really well and can run an offense too.

If we bought another R2 pick & somehow came away with Xavier Tillman & Malachi Flynn for those 2 picks... I don't think I'd even care who we got with the #9 pick! :)

Yes Tillman is another fav. That would be a great haul.
Frichuela
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,927

Post#270 » by Frichuela » Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:21 pm

100%! Tillman would be a great GET

I worry someone may pick him up in the 1st round, as high a low twenties
payitforward
RealGM

Post#271 » by payitforward » Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:30 pm

I agree -- I actually think Tillman could easily go to Boston at #26.

The guy I keep coming back to -- a 1-'n-done player from one of the most elite NCAA programs, who came in & dominated competition, posting over-the-top numbers, while being both overpoweringly bruising, but also quick and agile at the same time, yet who -- for reasons I simply cannot understand -- finds himself routinely mocked in R2 -- is
Spoiler:
there can't be anyone like that, can there? But there is --

Does Precious Achiuwa rebound as well as this kid? No. Score as well? No. Turn it over less? No. More steals? No. How about more assists? No. Is there anything Precious does... forget better -- how about as well as this kid? No.

Ok, then, is Precious at least younger than this player, so that maybe he has more upside? No. he's almost a year and a half older.

Fine... how about Karl-Anthony Towns? Was he a better Freshman than this kid? No. He wasn't as good as...:
Spoiler:
Vernon Carey Jr. -- & I just don't get it.
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,570

Post#272 » by pcbothwel » Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:14 pm

payitforward wrote:I agree -- I actually think Tillman could easily go to Boston at #26.

The guy I keep coming back to -- a 1-'n-done player from one of the most elite NCAA programs, who came in & dominated competition, posting over-the-top numbers, while being both overpoweringly bruising, but also quick and agile at the same time, yet who -- for reasons I simply cannot understand -- finds himself routinely mocked in R2 -- is
Spoiler:

Does Precious Achiuwa rebound as well as this kid? No. Score as well? No. Turn it over less? No. More steals? No. How about more assists? No. Is there anything Precious does... forget better -- how about as well as this kid? No.

Ok, then, is Precious at least younger than this player, so that maybe he has more upside? No. he's almost a year and a half older.

Fine... how about Karl-Anthony Towns? Was he a better Freshman than this kid? No. He wasn't as good as...:
Spoiler:

Ehhh... PIF, I understand their age and production make them worth a look. But I cant shake the fact that I feel like Im watching Sullinger, Okafor, Kanter, etc.
I mean, go look at Tony Bradley's stats as a freshman a couple years ago. The Jazz took him at the end of round 1 and he still only gets spot minutes.

Wendell Carter is/was a much better prospect than Steward/Carey due to Length, defense, age, and athleticism... and he has been pretty bad offensively.
Tillman and Oturu are both ahead of them on my board.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#273 » by Ruzious » Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:46 pm

payitforward wrote:I agree -- I actually think Tillman could easily go to Boston at #26.

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Or how about Oturu? Not quite the per minutes stats that Spoiler got, but he played 9 minutes a game more than Spoiler.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#274 » by payitforward » Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:02 pm

pcbothwel wrote:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Ehhh... PIF, I understand their age and production make them worth a look. But I cant shake the fact that I feel like Im watching Sullinger, Okafor, Kanter, etc.
I mean, go look at Tony Bradley's stats as a freshman a couple years ago. The Jazz took him at the end of round 1 and he still only gets spot minutes.

Wendell Carter is/was a much better prospect than Steward/Carey due to Length, defense, age, and athleticism... and he has been pretty bad offensively.

Who's "their? "Them?" -- only talking about Carey.

When you "watch" Vernon Carey, he looks to you like Sullinger? Okafor? Kanter? Not to me.

As to Tony Bradley, he is 22. He plays behind Rudy Gobert! :) He played 663 minutes this year & played extremely well overall with 16 boards per 40 minutes & a TS% over 65%. But Bradley wasn't anywhere near the producer in college that Carey has been.

Daniel Oturu's numbers as a Sophomore are not nearly as good as Carey's as a Freshman -- plus he is a year and a half older than Carey. & I don't put Stewart on Carey's level either -- why would I?

As to Wendell Carter... the point here is that Vernon Carey isn't going to be picked where Wendell Carter was picked -- or KAT or Okafor or Kanter. Or even Sullinger. He is going to be available in R2.

The guy who is killing Carey is Okafor -- if he had never existed, Carey would be a lottery pick. But the real problem with Okafor was failure to give a sh*t.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#275 » by Ruzious » Tue Oct 6, 2020 1:14 pm

It seems odd that Daniel Oturu could slip to the 2nd round - given his excellent production - but I've seen a couple of recent mocks that don't even list him getting picked. He led the Big 10 in rebounding and blocks and was 2nd in scoring. 1st team all-defense despite a poor defensive +/- and an excellent offensive +/-. A lot of similarities to Thomas Bryant. Even seems to have the ability to shoot 3's. Questionable passing ability, but his role was to score, and he did it very well.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#276 » by Ruzious » Tue Oct 6, 2020 1:25 pm

payitforward wrote:
pcbothwel wrote:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Who's "their? "Them?" -- only talking about Carey.

When you "watch" Vernon Carey, he looks to you like Sullinger? Okafor? Kanter? Not to me.

As to Tony Bradley, he is 22. He plays behind Rudy Gobert! :) He played 663 minutes this year & played extremely well overall with 16 boards per 40 minutes & a TS% over 65%. But Bradley wasn't anywhere near the producer in college that Carey has been.

Daniel Oturu's numbers as a Sophomore are not nearly as good as Carey's as a Freshman -- plus he is a year and a half older than Carey. & I don't put Stewart on Carey's level either -- why would I?

As to Wendell Carter... the point here is that Vernon Carey isn't going to be picked where Wendell Carter was picked -- or KAT or Okafor or Kanter. Or even Sullinger. He is going to be available in R2.

The guy who is killing Carey is Okafor -- if he had never existed, Carey would be a lottery pick. But the real problem with Okafor was failure to give a sh*t.

Fwiw, I was never an Okafor fan - even when he was the consensus #1 prospect in the nation - for a number of reason: the thing I dis-liked the most about him was - whenever he got the ball, there were several seconds of plodding - deciding what his next move was - the team offense just stopped when he got the ball - it makes it so easy for a good defense to adjust and strip him of the ball. Second was his awful defense - far too slow in reacting to pnr's. 3rd was he never got a rebound that he had to move a few feet for - just too slow in his reactions. I concur that Okafor is killing Carey, but Carey does have legit defensive problems. But if he's the next Kanter, that's not so bad. I think Kanter's a useful player.
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,883

Post#277 » by TGW » Tue Oct 6, 2020 1:39 pm

Tillman is a no-brainer in this draft. He gives off that Milsapp vibe. Once he develops a jumpshot, he's gucci.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,301

Post#278 » by nate33 » Tue Oct 6, 2020 2:09 pm

payitforward wrote:The guy who is killing Carey is Okafor -- if he had never existed, Carey would be a lottery pick. But the real problem with Okafor was failure to give a sh*t.

Interesting point. You may be right.
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,343

Post#279 » by doclinkin » Tue Oct 6, 2020 2:11 pm

TGW wrote:Tillman is a no-brainer in this draft. He gives off that Milsapp vibe. Once he develops a jumpshot, he's gucci.

He's climbed into the 1st round in many mocks though. I don't see him available by our rd 2 pick.
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,343

Post#280 » by doclinkin » Tue Oct 6, 2020 2:29 pm

nate33 wrote:
payitforward wrote:The guy who is killing Carey is Okafor -- if he had never existed, Carey would be a lottery pick. But the real problem with Okafor was failure to give a sh*t.

Interesting point. You may be right.

I'm on board for Carey. Highly productive young freshman, playing for Coach K at Duke so you know he is smart. A big who makes steals, suggests heads-up situational awareness. Developing outside shot. His highschool highlights show a guy who has a bit more game than he was asked to play in college. Handle, using the glass, the Ewing drop step, both face up and interior game. I'd like to get him a MGasol/Tim Duncan type as a mentor, but he definitely has raw materials for success. Huge and hasn't yet hit big time trainers who can help him develop. I can see him improving significantly with specialized training, he is not a stiff, good frame to take work on areas where he falls short. He is definitely on my list of productive defensive bigs. I like his upside, starting with the combination of size and IQ. I can see him as the keystone defender on a winning team. Given the right coaching and situation around him.

Return to Washington Wizards