Prospect Thread: Anthony Edwards

Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 8,358

Re: Prospect Thread: Anthony Edwards 

Post#81 » by BigSlam » Sun Aug 30, 2020 1:47 pm

Let’s keep these threads as player specific threads.

If you want to discuss what team might take who and where, move it to the general draft discussion thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
B B M F 'ers
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,790

Post#82 » by KGdaBom » Sun Aug 30, 2020 1:52 pm

luciano-davidwesley wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
luciano-davidwesley wrote:He has no court vision. He is a ball hog who rarely kicks it out to the open shooter when driving. He can’t identify the mismatch when a big switches onto him and just settles for a jumper.

His defensive attitude and application is concerning to say the least.

He has alarmingly low basketball intelligence and vision.

I really hope he gets picked 1 or 2 and I think he will. Wiseman really doesn’t have that many major weaknesses and he’s my pick at 3 if he’s on the board. Ball being the next best but with a few more red flags than Wiseman.

I’m not saying he’s going to be terrible necessarily I just don’t see him being as good as Ball or Wiseman. My opinion might be in the minority here though in that regard as it seems most people here like Edwards more than I do.

Wiseman is probably the best player in the draft, but I can't see both the Wolves and Warriors passing on him. I would guess Ball would be who falls to you which would be kind of a waste to take him to compete with Graham and Rozier.

I don’t see you guys drafting Wiseman as he plays in KAT’s position. I feel you’ll either pick Ball or Edwards but probably Edwards due to the fit issues with Russell and Ball and the concern about his jump shot.

The Warriors I then see drafting Ball to trade him to the team most desperate to give up a key win-now piece and future assets in exchange for his potential.

This is obviously no science and I might be wrong. I’d be disappointed if we miss out on Wiseman but I feel whoever is left of Ball or Edwards will be ok consolation prizes.

Wiseman is by far the best talent in the draft. A team can and IMO should have more than one big. A center and a PF. Wiseman can play Center and KAT the PF. That's if our GM has any sense at all. Why settle for Edwards.
Vanderbilt_Grad
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,771

Post#83 » by Vanderbilt_Grad » Sun Aug 30, 2020 1:53 pm

I get the point of the T-Wolves drafting Wiseman. KAT has played PF before. Last year he took nearly 8 3's a game with good % shooting. KAT's also a pretty good passer. The team is set at PG with DLo, and it's not clear that LaMelo would really be able to play well with him. The team has just finished the Wiggens experiment and might be iffy on replaying that with Edwards.

Put Wiseman on that team and you have a huge 4-5 tandem who might be able to do really interesting things together. There is some risk there, but, really, what pick doesn't have some level of risk in this draft.

All that said, if the T-Wolves are able to get the Knicks to give them a huge offer for Ball #1, then that might be the best thing overall for them.
My picks:
2020 Draft (3rd pick) - Tyrese Haliburton, Devin Vassell, or Onyeka Okongwu
2021 Draft (11th pick) - Moses Moody
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#84 » by BigSlam » Sun Aug 30, 2020 2:08 pm

I’ve been watching some more footage on Edwards and I’m really seeing a lot of Jason Richardson in his game.

Super explosive, moves pretty well but a little clunky, not a bad shooter - but not great (although Richardson really improves his shooting by the time he came here), average handles, can pour it on quickly, great size.

Thoughts?

B B M F 'ers
Braggins
RealGM
And1: 8,145

Post#85 » by Braggins » Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:15 pm

Vanderbilt_Grad wrote:I get the point of the T-Wolves drafting Wiseman. KAT has played PF before. Last year he took nearly 8 3's a game with good % shooting. KAT's also a pretty good passer. The team is set at PG with DLo, and it's not clear that LaMelo would really be able to play well with him. The team has just finished the Wiggens experiment and might be iffy on replaying that with Edwards.

Put Wiseman on that team and you have a huge 4-5 tandem who might be able to do really interesting things together. There is some risk there, but, really, what pick doesn't have some level of risk in this draft.

All that said, if the T-Wolves are able to get the Knicks to give them a huge offer for Ball #1, then that might be the best thing overall for them.

KAT/Wiseman seems like a good fit on offense. Like you said, KAT is a really good shooter and just has a lot of perimeter skill in general. Wisemans potential as a rim runner and lob threat should make him a very good compliment as a vertical spacer.
Its not a great fit on defense if KAT can't guard on the perimeter reasonably well, but still not that bad. If they trust KAT to guard on the perimeter decent enough then its fine.

It still seems like a better fit overall to me than throwing in LaMelo/Edwards with DLo and Beasley. DLo/LaMelo especially seems like an awkward fit. I think the best fit for their roster of the top guys is Okongwu, but if they don't think he has as much potential as the other top guys I don't know that they should be looking to draft based on fit over talent. However, they are honestly already set on offense with a legit 1st, 2nd, and possibly 3rd option with KAT/DLo/Beasley(jurys still out on him, but early returns are good). Okongwu seems like the perfect big to pair with KAT and brings all the things they are lacking. DLo/Beasley/Okogie or Culver/Okongwu/KAT, seems like a very well balanced lineup (if only they still had Covington at SF).

I'm not really a believer in Ball or Edwards at this point, so my inclination would be to trade back to the 4-6 range and try to pick up Okongwu or maybe just take Wiseman if I was them. I think it would be good if they could fleece the Knicks, even if it means missing out on Wiseman and Okongwu. Just depends on how they evaluate Ball/Edwards, I guess.
DY_nasty
General Manager
And1: 4,946

Post#86 » by DY_nasty » Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:29 pm

BigSlam wrote:I’ve been watching some more footage on Edwards and I’m really seeing a lot of Jason Richardson in his game.

Super explosive, moves pretty well but a little clunky, not a bad shooter - but not great (although Richardson really improves his shooting by the time he came here), average handles, can pour it on quickly, great size.

Thoughts?

Richardson was a different level of athlete and was a pretty decent defender in college.

Something to be said about Edwards (and a lot of these guards tbh) is that they don't understand how valuable off-ball action is too. Big reason why MSU and Richardson were so efficient was because they approached defenses in more ways than simply bringing the ball up the court and hoping for honest man defense.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#87 » by KGdaBom » Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:29 am

Vanderbilt_Grad wrote:I get the point of the T-Wolves drafting Wiseman. KAT has played PF before. Last year he took nearly 8 3's a game with good % shooting. KAT's also a pretty good passer. The team is set at PG with DLo, and it's not clear that LaMelo would really be able to play well with him. The team has just finished the Wiggens experiment and might be iffy on replaying that with Edwards.

Great post.
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#88 » by BigSlam » Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:49 pm

KGdaBom wrote:....

KGdaBom: We welcome and enjoy posters from other boards to our board, but please keep your posts relevant to the topic of the thread you are posting in.

This is the 3rd time you’ve been asked.

Thanks and happy posting!

B B M F 'ers
wilson115
Sixth Man
And1: 962

Post#89 » by wilson115 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:10 pm

DY_nasty wrote:Something to be said about Edwards (and a lot of these guards tbh) is that they don't understand how valuable off-ball action is too. Big reason why MSU and Richardson were so efficient was because they approached defenses in more ways than simply bringing the ball up the court and hoping for honest man defense.

I don't know. The Michigan State roster around JRich was good enough to win an NCAA title and produce multiple NBA players. People were shocked when Edwards signed with Georgia.
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,044

Post#90 » by Liver_Pooty » Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:46 pm

wilson115 wrote:
DY_nasty wrote:Something to be said about Edwards (and a lot of these guards tbh) is that they don't understand how valuable off-ball action is too. Big reason why MSU and Richardson were so efficient was because they approached defenses in more ways than simply bringing the ball up the court and hoping for honest man defense.

I don't know. The Michigan State roster around JRich was good enough to win an NCAA title and produce multiple NBA players. People were shocked when Edwards signed with Georgia.

Edwards is a diehard Atlanta boy. As previously mentioned if he went to Kentucky Duke UNC or a blueblood program he would be a consensus #1 pick in my opinion.
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
DY_nasty
General Manager
And1: 4,946

Post#91 » by DY_nasty » Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:23 pm

Liver_Pooty wrote:
wilson115 wrote:

Edwards is a diehard Atlanta boy. As previously mentioned if he went to Kentucky Duke UNC or a blueblood program he would be a consensus #1 pick in my opinion.

Hey, he chose not to for a reason :lol:
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#92 » by KGdaBom » Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:53 pm

Chances that Anthony Edwards is drafted #1 just went up. Timberwolves starting SG Malik Beasley was arrested on suspicion of owning a stolen weapon and drug charges. As of now he was released without being charged.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#93 » by KGdaBom » Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:55 pm

DY_nasty wrote:
Liver_Pooty wrote:
wilson115 wrote:I don't know. The Michigan State roster around JRich was good enough to win an NCAA title and produce multiple NBA players. People were shocked when Edwards signed with Georgia.

Hey, he chose not to for a reason :lol:

If I understand correctly he chose Georgia because their coach Tom Crean had coached two of his idols Victor Oladipo and Dwyane Wade in college.
LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,509

Post#94 » by LofJ » Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:34 pm

I don't feel good about this team developing Edwards. I don't think the Hornets organizational culture is strong enough to keep him focused and hungry.
SWedd523
RealGM
And1: 5,165

Post#95 » by SWedd523 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:54 pm

LofJ wrote:I don't feel good about this team developing Edwards. I don't think the Hornets organizational culture is strong enough to keep him focused and hungry.

If anything I'd say the most recent 2-3 years have shown that some of the guys are actually showing development.

Well, the guards at least.

Kemba into Devote. Malik last year even started showing improvement.

My biggest concern with Edwards is Charlotte's proximity to Atlanta. I keep hearing that he has some bad influences back home and chose Georgia because he wanted to stay close to home.

I think him going away would probably do him some good long term.

-Probably not Minnesota because they don't have very good leadership/culture.
-Golden State would be best for him from a culture standpoint but I'm kind of curious how that locker room operates these days. I think they may have gotten a little spicy in recent years due to their success.
-San Antonio is the type of place where he would thrive and probably reach his best potential.
-Ironically, I think that out of the top pickers, Charlotte and Atlanta have the best culture and locker room near into far timelines. I also think both of those teams are the worst places for him from a personal standpoint.
Hornet Mania
General Manager
And1: 7,391

Post#96 » by Hornet Mania » Thu Oct 1, 2020 12:35 am

Our player development has really turned around, I'm so excited to see how Thing 1+2 and McDaniels look next year because all three of them improve by leaps and bounds from November to March. With Edwards it just comes down to whether he'll be willing to work. The three guys I just mentioned put in the time and don't complain about being on the Swarm, would Edwards also be willing to humble himself and just grind for awhile?
Rays Pompadour
Senior
And1: 418

Post#97 » by Rays Pompadour » Thu Oct 1, 2020 12:24 pm

Hornet Mania wrote:Our player development has really turned around, I'm so excited to see how Thing 1+2 and McDaniels look next year because all three of them improve by leaps and bounds from November to March. With Edwards it just comes down to whether he'll be willing to work. The three guys I just mentioned put in the time and don't complain about being on the Swarm, would Edwards also be willing to humble himself and just grind for awhile?

Willingness to work - biggest question mark of all the top projected draft picks. I think this especially applies to Edwards due to the rawness of his skillset. Like all the top guys, Edwards has gushing potential. Work ethic, burning desire to win...these will be critical to Edwards for his development.

Malik Monk comes to mind when I look at Edwards. Monk came into the league not expecting to have to work...and I mean WORK. But he's figured out that you can't coast in the NBA and succeed. Edwards may take a similar arc.
LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,509

Post#98 » by LofJ » Thu Oct 1, 2020 12:58 pm

Question - if Ball and Wiseman go in the top two does Mitch pass on Edwards?
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,044

Post#99 » by Liver_Pooty » Thu Oct 1, 2020 1:49 pm

LofJ wrote:Question - if Ball and Wiseman go in the top two does Mitch pass on Edwards?

Judging my his constant stating the team needs talent i highly doubt it.
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
Hornet Mania
General Manager
And1: 7,391

Post#100 » by Hornet Mania » Thu Oct 1, 2020 4:27 pm

If Edwards falls to 3 and Mitch doesn't want him I'd hope he would make a few calls to see who really covets him and how much they'd pay for the privilege.

Return to Charlotte Hornets