ImageImageImageImageImage

Is Kevin Knox a Keeper or a Bust?

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Is Kevin Knox a Keeper or a Bust?

Keeper! He will be something special.
21%
Bust. He’s not improved and shown the ability to be consistent.
79%

Total votes: 96

Polk377
General Manager
And1: 5,364

Re: Is Kevin Knox a Keeper or a Bust? 

Post#161 » by Polk377 » Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:43 am

Knox is not a bust. He is raw and needs to be heavily coached up. He has all the tools to someday becoming a great player. Problem is, does this team have the patience to stick with him and take on the challenge or move him and risk someone else getting the job done? Remember, some of the greats didn't really get to their prime until almost their mid 20s.
blanko
Starter
And1: 1,143

Post#162 » by blanko » Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:47 am

Lets be honest, what can be said now that hasnt been said already? Is value is at an all time low. We might as well let tibs and the coaches work on him to up his value.

Sent from my SM-N960N using Tapatalk
Jimmit79
Head Coach
And1: 5,251

Post#163 » by Jimmit79 » Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:14 pm

NBA is a tough business to survive if after two years you haven't shown anything then in a city like NY your done done done I mean look at LA they gave up on lonzo randle and russell who are way better then Knox.

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk
Clyde Frazier
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 25,274

Post#164 » by Clyde Frazier » Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:13 pm

Pretty clearly option 3 to me: still has the potential to become a solid contributor in the NBA. It seems "knox the volume scoring wing" is probably out the window. However, a realistic path is a guy who develops into a 38% spot up 3PT shooter and continues to work on developing on ball skills and becomes passable defensively.

Knicks managed to waste his soph season with wildly sporadic playing time compared to his rookie year. If we actually have playmakers on the roster to get him open shots, that's the next step. I'm not giving him up in a Paul trade (along with any other asset, for that matter).
adjacent2bench
RealGM
And1: 7,495

Post#165 » by adjacent2bench » Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:16 pm

Your options suck man. I don't think he's a bust but i also don't think he's gonna be special.
BKlutch
RealGM
And1: 13,258
Location: A new land of openness, freedom, and defense for all.

Post#166 » by BKlutch » Sat Sep 26, 2020 2:41 pm

Knox has good physical assests. He just doesn't know how to play.

Offense propelled by our Brunson Burner. Defense powered by OG, our after-burner.

denterprise
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,021

Post#167 » by denterprise » Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:55 pm

Jimmit79 wrote:NBA is a tough business to survive if after two years you haven't shown anything then in a city like NY your done done done I mean look at LA they gave up on lonzo randle and russell who are way better then Knox.

If you give up players to get someone better I would not call that giving up on someone. At the moment Kevin alone is not going to bring us anything special. I don't think it is smart to give up on a player that was drafted one year after his high school graduation. If you are going to take such a young player you should be committed to developing him for three to four years. Back in the day players come into the league after 4 years of college and were give time to develop into NBA players.
ny-n-md
Sixth Man
And1: 1,386

Post#168 » by ny-n-md » Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:30 am

denterprise wrote:
Jimmit79 wrote:NBA is a tough business to survive if after two years you haven't shown anything then in a city like NY your done done done I mean look at LA they gave up on lonzo randle and russell who are way better then Knox.

If you give up players to get someone better I would not call that giving up on someone. At the moment Kevin alone is not going to bring us anything special. I don't think it is smart to give up on a player that was drafted one year after his high school graduation. If you are going to take such a young player you should be committed to developing him for three to four years. Back in the day players come into the league after 4 years of college and were give time to develop into NBA players.

I completely agree with this. I think it is beyond ridiculous that the Knicks have not invested more into the kids they drafted, especially in development. Give them the time and patience while also playing them to help their learning process. This mercenary approach his been a complete disaster for the lottery picks we have taken.

I really like what I’m seeing and hearing with this new regime in regards to the youth and the focus on developing them. Actions speak louder than words and they are hiring many coaches to specifically focus on player development. Fizdale would use the word development as just a hot buzzword with no real plan of action behind it.

You eat what you kill became playing treadmill vets that don’t move the needle in the win column or advance the culture for the future. Crazy! I did however like the fact that Fizdale had players from the past come and provide motivational talks with the team and the players getting a chance to pick their brains. He just sucked as a coach though.
JUST PLAY THE KIDS ALREADY!!!!!
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian
And1: 19,917

Post#169 » by blueNorange » Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:04 am

Polk377 wrote:Knox is not a bust. He is raw and needs to be heavily coached up. He has all the tools to someday becoming a great player. Problem is, does this team have the patience to stick with him and take on the challenge or move him and risk someone else getting the job done? Remember, some of the greats didn't really get to their prime until almost their mid 20s.

name these tools that knox has.

because he's average/mediocre at every aspect.
LOL Y U MAD THO?
mitchell robinson has blocked zion williamson 3 times as of 7/6/19.
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian

Post#170 » by blueNorange » Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:06 am

blanko wrote:Lets be honest, what can be said now that hasnt been said already? Is value is at an all time low. We might as well let tibs and the coaches work on him to up his value.

Sent from my SM-N960N using Tapatalk

there's no guarantee he even gets minutes under thibs.

thibs literally has no attachment to him.
LOL Y U MAD THO?
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian

Post#171 » by blueNorange » Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:11 am

idk what's more insane, this image some of y'all have of knox that's apparently been misused or the idea that thibs will not only have him in his rotation, but will play him more minutes than last year :lol:

knox gonna be the garbage minute man, he's not in any rotation.
LOL Y U MAD THO?
YungKnicks
Rookie
And1: 481

Post#172 » by YungKnicks » Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:21 pm

Soft as Butter... SMH..Keep until Rookie Contract done, two years to show something.

Knicks are dumb, kid been soft in College, should have taken Miles Bridges... you dont draft a kid based off one 1v1 15 minute battle. No dog in him... Sexton, Miles etc.. have that dog in them.. Alpha mentality. This kid Knox, talks about Fortnight (or how ever you spell that zhit! LOL)..sad
Jimmit79
Head Coach
And1: 5,251

Post#173 » by Jimmit79 » Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:30 pm

blueNorange wrote:idk what's more insane, this image some of y'all have of knox that's apparently been misused or the idea that thibs will not only have him in his rotation, but will play him more minutes than last year

knox gonna be the garbage minute man, he's not in any rotation.
People think two rookie coaches will be more harsh then a military general on Knox and Dsj oh boy next season will be letdown on there expectations.

Polk377
General Manager

Post#174 » by Polk377 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:52 pm

blueNorange wrote:
Polk377 wrote:Knox is not a bust. He is raw and needs to be heavily coached up. He has all the tools to someday becoming a great player. Problem is, does this team have the patience to stick with him and take on the challenge or move him and risk someone else getting the job done? Remember, some of the greats didn't really get to their prime until almost their mid 20s.

That is the point. He can do it all but is average across the board right now because he is still raw. He needs coaches that can help him train those average skills and turn them into good or great. Lets not pretended that 21 years old is past the point of players getting much better. That is the problem with the 1 and done system where kids that needed the training jump into the draft too early and don't get the help they need at the next level. Of course there is no guarantee anyone will be a superstar but a guy like Trevor Ariza comes to mind where you saw flashes early and over time turned into a valuable rotation piece on a championship team.
-YogiBiz-
Pro Prospect
And1: 686

Post#175 » by -YogiBiz- » Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:00 pm

Polk377 wrote:
blueNorange wrote:

That is the point. He can do it all but is average across the board right now because he is still raw. He needs coaches that can help him train those average skills and turn them into good or great. Lets not pretended that 21 years old is past the point of players getting much better. That is the problem with the 1 and done system where kids that needed the training jump into the draft too early and don't get the help they need at the next level. Of course there is no guarantee anyone will be a superstar but a guy like Trevor Ariza comes to mind where you saw flashes early and over time turned into a valuable rotation piece on a championship team.

Maybe he's not Raw. Maybe he's just bad.

Also, you calling Knox average is overselling how horribly he's played to this point.
Polk377
General Manager

Post#176 » by Polk377 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:36 pm

-YogiBiz- wrote:
Polk377 wrote:
blueNorange wrote:name these tools that knox has.

Also, you calling Knox average is overselling how horribly he's played to this point.

just be ready to eat that crow....
-YogiBiz-
Pro Prospect
And1: 686

Post#177 » by -YogiBiz- » Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:58 am

Polk377 wrote:
-YogiBiz- wrote:
Polk377 wrote:

I am not saying I would love to be wrong. I will gladly eat crow.

But unfortunately, he hasn't shown any improvement from year 1 to year 2. I do not expect him to even crack Thibs' rotation unless its garbage time minutes.
CharlesOakley
Veteran
And1: 2,483

Post#178 » by CharlesOakley » Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:12 pm

For me, Knox at the 4 might develop into an NBA starter. He has a much better chance against 4s than wings on defense. With some added strength and some coaching, he might become passable as a rebounder. Knox has a chance to be an above average 3-point shooter if he can improve his percentages from the corner. I don't hold the lack of improvement against Knox with our garbage coaching staff. In my mind, all the kids get a clean slate.
Polk377
General Manager

Post#179 » by Polk377 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:24 pm

-YogiBiz- wrote:
Polk377 wrote:
-YogiBiz- wrote:

I am not saying I would love to be wrong. I will gladly eat crow.

But unfortunately, he hasn't shown any improvement from year 1 to year 2. I do not expect him to even crack Thibs' rotation unless its garbage time minutes.

To be fair, no one really showed improvements with the lackluster development staff we had last season. I think he will actually get a lot of time at the 4 in Thibs' system. He wants to space the floor and focus on more corner 3s which is a perfect for Knox. He looks to have put on some solid muscle so far and there is still a lot of time to go until next season to build the core strength needed to play the 4.
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,349

Post#180 » by dakomish23 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:31 pm

Send him to a team that has success in developing players and maybe he can become a very good backup 3/4 first forward off the bench. Massai / Nurse will whip him into shape
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit

Return to New York Knicks