ImageImageImage

Celtics 2020-21 Roster, Assemble Using Current Info

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

Assemble 2020-21 Roster (up to 17 Players) = Assume Keeping "Team Shamrock"

Hayward = Keep on Team
14%
R.Williams = Keep on Team
20%
Poirier = Keep on Team
2%
Theis/Kanter = Re-sign, if financially feasible
16%
Langford, G.Williams, Edwards = Keep Rookies, from 2019-20
13%
Upgrade = Waters & Fall to NBA Roster spots
9%
Green/Wanamaker/Ojeleye = Renew any of,
2%
Draft = # of Rookies (Including Two-Way Contracts)
8%
Trade = if it Brings in an Impactful Player.
16%
Other = Please Explain
2%

Total votes: 255

Higgs Boston
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,625

Re: Celtics 2020-21 Roster, Assemble Using Current Info 

Post#121 » by Higgs Boston » Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:35 pm

the draft is in October? didn't they delay it to november to negotiate things with players?
CeltsfanSinceBirth
RealGM
And1: 34,836

Post#122 » by CeltsfanSinceBirth » Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:45 pm

Ok so I scoured the free agents for 2020. Not too many names we can score for cheap. I guess my somewhat realistic wish list would include the following:

Giles (might not be that realistic, but we'll see)
Biyombo
Myers Leonard
E'tuan Moore
flintsky21
Sixth Man
And1: 2,780

Post#123 » by flintsky21 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:23 pm

Best shooters in free agency that can be had:

For MLE: (with 3% last season)
- Langston Galloway (40%)
- Justin Holiday (40%)
- Bryn Forbes (38%) - might command more than MLE though
- Marco Belinelli (37%)
- E'Twaun Moore (37%)
- Alec Burks (41%)

For vet min:
- Courtney Lee (44%)
- Yogi Ferrell (30%)
- Kyle Korver (41%)
- Anthony Tolliver (41%)
- Patrick Patterson (39%)
- Mario Hezonja (30%)
- Jordan McRae (18% last year but 35% for career)
- JR Smith (30%)
jfs1000d
RealGM
And1: 13,963

Post#124 » by jfs1000d » Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:59 pm

This is first user we have 3 first round picks and I am not really interested in adding any rookie players.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
chrisab123
RealGM
And1: 9,268

Post#125 » by chrisab123 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:05 am

The reality is that Danny will keep largely the same roster as he had this year while letting all free agents go. He's certainly keeping all the picks. Rinse and repeat! Got to love keeping those incoming freshman classes for Brad.
Darth Celtic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,013

Post#126 » by Darth Celtic » Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:35 am

We will be good for some time. No reason for cp3 and other crap listed for over 30 players. Kemba and Hayward are fine.

People not listing grant williams as a future rotational player just doesn't watch the games.

Timelord? I'm not sure yet. He is more raw.

Theis is what he is. Up and down. If he can't stretch the floor or step out on high picks to stop the three he's not worth it.

Kanter is so situational I don't play him any time over tacko so. Hope he opts out. If not salary for trade.

Semi. Green. Sexy pants. Wannamaker. Bye.

I would love to trade up for that tall pg danny seems to love if you follow the rumors.

No signing anyone over 32. Doesn't fit out timeline.

Kemba, rookie, waters
Smart, ?
Jb, Hayward.
Tatum,
Timelord, grant, tacko,, theis?

Our window is two years away. Need to remember that. The guys carrying this team are just too young. Soon

Sent from my moto g(7) using RealGM mobile app
MrDollarBills = MrWelchesBets
ddb
RealGM
And1: 11,700

Post#127 » by ddb » Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:01 am

This will be a BIG offseason. Boston is very, very close to another title with the way Tatum/Brown are emerging. Danny is not an idiot. He is going for it.
snowman
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 2,506

Post#128 » by snowman » Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:35 am

Keep:
Tatum - sign him to the longest biggest contract available. Multiple all star, all pro
Brown - also multiple all star
Kemba - we need his calming influence for the youngin's
Smart - heart and soul....and balls
Hayward - he'll opt in. If he can stay healthy we're good. Don't break the bank on an extension though
Theis - sign him long term. Hardest worker on the team.
R. Will - stay healthy, learn the defense, maybe able to start and bring Theis off the bench
G. Will - keeper, great role player
Langford - Keeper, get healthy and will break out next season

50 /50 :
Edwards / Waters - on the hot seat. put these two in competition for 1 roster spot. Lose is waved. Do not attach an asset to move.
Kanter / Fall - on the hot seat. Same as Edwards and Waters. One stays, one goes. Do not attach an asset to move.

Bye -bye:
Poirier- trade or waive.
Semi - DO NOT even think about picking up his option year. Anything he can do G. Will already does better
Wannamaker - to many dumb mistakes to be considered a vet leader
Green - great story, glad he got paid. Good luck with next team

This frees up 4 roster spots for three first round picks and 1 FA.
@ 14 - Saddiq Bey
@ 26 - which ever point guard is left / best between Lewis, Maledon, Mannion or Jones.
@ 30 - Daniel Oturu

Kimba, Brown, Hayward, Tatum, R. Williams
Smart, Langford, S. Bey, G. Williams, Theis
(Lewis, Maledon, Mannion, Jones), (Edwards or Waters), (FA) Danile Oturu, (Kanter or Fall).
Memokerobi
Rookie
And1: 2,210

Post#129 » by Memokerobi » Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:12 am

I don’t know how the Cs will approach the big man rotation or if they’ll look to add another wing. All I know is that the Celtics need a veteran point guard in place of Brad Wanamaker.

I am originally from Turkey and a Fenerbahce fan and he played for my teams in both Europe and in the NBA, I’ve got nothing against him. He just isn’t good enough when it matters. Look at what the Lakers are getting from that position with Rondo.

There were countless times these playoffs when the Cs had long runs where they just chucked up 3s or had some horrible turnovers back to back to back. A veteran PG, who’s primarily a playmaker, who can control the tempo, pump the breaks when needed and create easy looks for his teammates is required imo.

Since we don’t have much to offer for this spot besides the vet min or maybe the MLE, there aren’t a ton of options. Maybe go back to Rondo?

Another name I could think of is Jeff Teague who I think can fit in this role really well. What do you guys think?
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,170

Post#130 » by djFan71 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:12 am

Memokerobi wrote:I don’t know how the Cs will approach the big man rotation or if they’ll look to add another wing. All I know is that the Celtics need a veteran point guard in place of Brad Wanamaker.

I am originally from Turkey and a Fenerbahce fan and he played for my teams in both Europe and in the NBA, I’ve got nothing against him. He just isn’t good enough when it matters. Look at what the Lakers are getting from that position with Rondo.

There were countless times these playoffs when the Cs had long runs where they just chucked up 3s or had some horrible turnovers back to back to back. A veteran PG, who’s primarily a playmaker, who can control the tempo, pump the breaks when needed and create easy looks for his teammates is required imo.

Since we don’t have much to offer for this spot besides the vet min or maybe the MLE, there aren’t a ton of options. Maybe go back to Rondo?

Another name I could think of is Jeff Teague who I think can fit in this role really well. What do you guys think?

I like Teague as well. From the Trades & Transaction board, though, it sounds like ATL wants to keep him and will give him $ we can't match.
chrisab123
RealGM

Post#131 » by chrisab123 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:27 am

ddb wrote:This will be a BIG offseason. Boston is very, very close to another title with the way Tatum/Brown are emerging. Danny is not an idiot. He is going for it.

I'm not sure. I honestly believe that he's trying to find the right roster for Brad to coach and that he believes Brad wouldn't be able to motivate bench veterans from outside the program. Then again Kanter wasn't a pain in the ass this year so who knows.
snowman
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#132 » by snowman » Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:32 am

I agree 1000% on replacing Wannamaker. I think we already have our back up PG in Smart. Smart needs to become the primary ball handler on the second team. Hell, he does that now with Kemba on the floor at the same time. PG rotation of Kemba, Smart and which ever pg we draft this year, (Hopefully with the 26th pick, I think we need a shooter with the 14th.

I also don't think Waters is going to do it. We think opposing teams defense focused on Kemba during the playoffs, just think what opposing teams defense would do to Waters.
snowman
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#133 » by snowman » Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:42 am

There are those saying that we need to get rid of Theis after how Adebayo did in the playoffs. I got news for you guys, it wasn't Theis lack of defense, it was the scheme we played. With all the switching we do on the pick and roll, many times caused Theis to switch off Bam and have to try and recover off of whomever he switched to. If we're going to blame someone, blame the weak side help that didn't rotate like they should have. Would I like a taller player in the middle, 100 % yes, but Theis is doing a great job playing the 5 at 6'8. I just love the way he screens the other teams big as our ball handler is going for a layup. He never gets credit for that. If he could just start getting some of the calls to go his way would be great.
albas89
Junior
And1: 464

Post#134 » by albas89 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:34 pm

snowman wrote:There are those saying that we need to get rid of Theis after how Adebayo did in the playoffs. I got news for you guys, it wasn't Theis lack of defense, it was the scheme we played. With all the switching we do on the pick and roll, many times caused Theis to switch off Bam and have to try and recover off of whomever he switched to. If we're going to blame someone, blame the weak side help that didn't rotate like they should have. Would I like a taller player in the middle, 100 % yes, but Theis is doing a great job playing the 5 at 6'8. I just love the way he screens the other teams big as our ball handler is going for a layup. He never gets credit for that. If he could just start getting some of the calls to go his way would be great.

I dont think anyone argues Theis is a nice piece for our team coming off the bench for 20-25mins per game. He's just not quite there yet to be starting for a championship contender at C, and probably will never be due to his height.

The lasting memory of Theis being attacked and annihilated by Bam for 4 straight possessions in Game 6, leading to his fouling out and eventually the Heat win, also doesn't help his case. People will forget how well he played in Game 5 and only remember him like a kid trying to guard a man in Adebayo in Game 6. I don't blame them tbh, Adebayo will only keep getting better, and if he eats Theis alive at 23, imagine what happens when he's 25-26. Adebayo will be a problem the same way Giannis is in the coming years...
ddb
RealGM

Post#135 » by ddb » Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:18 pm

chrisab123 wrote:
ddb wrote:This will be a BIG offseason. Boston is very, very close to another title with the way Tatum/Brown are emerging. Danny is not an idiot. He is going for it.

I'm not sure. I honestly believe that he's trying to find the right roster for Brad to coach and that he believes Brad wouldn't be able to motivate bench veterans from outside the program. Then again Kanter wasn't a pain in the ass this year so who knows.

Brad gets paid a lot of money to make it work. Ainge can't be catering to little ole Brad. Time to step up and add veterans that can actually help the team close out playoffs games. If Miami didn't have Crowder/Iggy they don't win that series against Boston. Simple as that. Boston needs those veteran type guys. Lakers have it. Heat have it. Celtics don't. Lakers/Heat finals. Celtics back home golfing/clubbing
ddb
RealGM

Post#136 » by ddb » Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:20 pm

snowman wrote:I agree 1000% on replacing Wannamaker. I think we already have our back up PG in Smart. Smart needs to become the primary ball handler on the second team. Hell, he does that now with Kemba on the floor at the same time. PG rotation of Kemba, Smart and which ever pg we draft this year, (Hopefully with the 26th pick, I think we need a shooter with the 14th.

I also don't think Waters is going to do it. We think opposing teams defense focused on Kemba during the playoffs, just think what opposing teams defense would do to Waters.

I can tell you with the utmost confidence that what the Celtics don't need is more rookies. 1 max.
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,221

Post#137 » by Parliament10 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:24 pm

ddb wrote:
chrisab123 wrote:

Brad gets paid a lot of money to make it work. Ainge can't be catering to little ole Brad. Time to step up and add veterans that can actually help the team close out playoffs games. If Miami didn't have Crowder/Iggy they don't win that series against Boston. Simple as that. Boston needs those veteran type guys. Lakers have it. Heat have it. Celtics don't. Lakers/Heat finals. Celtics back home golfing/clubbing

I think that we can make our Vets from within.
I don't think that we need too many guys, who aren't going to be here for the long haul.

ddb wrote:
snowman wrote:I agree 1000% on replacing Wannamaker. I think we already have our back up PG in Smart. Smart needs to become the primary ball handler on the second team. Hell, he does that now with Kemba on the floor at the same time. PG rotation of Kemba, Smart and which ever pg we draft this year, (Hopefully with the 26th pick, I think we need a shooter with the 14th.

I can tell you with the utmost confidence that what the Celtics don't need is more rookies. 1 max.

I like the idea of building from the draft. It's a process, and you never really know who will pan out the best.
Waters looks to be able to be a good 3rd String PG. Better than Wanamaker.

Rondo, Crowder, Olynyk, Baynes. = If you're talking about bringing in Vets, then these are the ones that I'd want.
Vets, that are not one-and-done. Ones that will stick around for a few years, and can actually contribute.
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
ddb
RealGM

Post#138 » by ddb » Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:47 pm

Parliament10 wrote:
ddb wrote:
chrisab123 wrote:

I don't think that we need too many guys, who aren't going to be here for the long haul.

ddb wrote:

I like the idea of building from the draft. It's a process, and you never really know who will pan out the best.

Rondo, Crowder, Olynyk, Baynes. = If you're talking about bringing in Vets, then these are the ones that I'd want.
Vets, that are not one-and-done. Ones that will stick around for a few years, and can actually contribute.

Rondo will stay in LA. Why leave? He's about to win another title.
Crowder will stay in Miami. Why leave? He's in the finals and likely sick of moving around. He will take a discount to stay in Miami.
Olynyk has a player option for 12.5..He will pick that up and stay in Miami.
Baynes isn't moving the needle even an inch. I'd rather just play R & G Williams more minutes.
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,221

Post#139 » by Parliament10 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:58 pm

ddb wrote:
Parliament10 wrote:
ddb wrote:

ddb wrote:

Rondo will stay in LA. Why leave? He's about to win another title.
Crowder will stay in Miami. Why leave? He's in the finals and likely sick of moving around. He will take a discount to stay in Miami.
Olynyk has a player option for 12.5..He will pick that up and stay in Miami.
Baynes isn't moving the needle even an inch. I'd rather just play R & G Williams more minutes.

Right. I don't mean these Vets, particularly. Just Vets of this type, and that will stick around in the Celtics system.
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
chrisab123
RealGM

Post#140 » by chrisab123 » Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:55 am

I really don't think making vets from within is the answer. Eventually you'll need someone to teach these players how to win. No one on the coaching staff or roster has even been to an NBA Finals. Really think about that. That is insanely hard to pull off. You would think this team has someone at the end of the bench who has been to the finals before. But nope. Brad can't coach anyone outside of his system except Horford. Kemba fits his system like a glove and he runs the same exact system that he did at Butler. At some point, gee golly awww shucks Brad needs to own this.

Return to Boston Celtics