Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

Clemenza
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,212

Re: New coach 

Post#21 » by Clemenza » Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:17 am

Roscoe Sheed wrote:
mttwlsn16 wrote:Phil Jackson

I don't think I could take it. I know he's a better coach than Doc, but I've despised Phil Jackson going all the way back to his Bulls days. One of the most arrogant coaches of all time. Yes, very good coach, but slightly overrated due to all of the great talent he has coached.

All these big name guys road the starts. Phil with MJ, Pippen, Shaq, Kobe.. Spo, even though he's getting props this year, got his name off Bron, Wade, and Bosh. Pop with Duncan, Parker, Ginoble, Kawhi, etc. Its a players league no doubt about it. Its looking like it might be Ty Lue and I'm okay with that. I hear he's down to put star players in check because we probably need more of a lock down coach than a buddy buddy- friends and family players coach right now.
nickhx2
RealGM
And1: 6,272

Post#22 » by nickhx2 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:20 am

mike D would be a good choice i think.

he can do some pretty awesome things with the right personnel. don't forget how close houston was to beating GS, in lieu of cp3's injury.

if they bring him in and give him a couple more utility defensive pieces, i think the team would do quite well.
Captain Ballmer
Pro Prospect
And1: 725

Post#23 » by Captain Ballmer » Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:13 am

Well, if the reports are true that we're interested with lue, jvg, d'antoni etc. Would be lame. We need a new direction and approach. Why not Becky Hammon? Wasn't she the summer league champion last year?
2023 Clippers W/L Count (51-31)
(Russ at bench 42-15)
without PG13 3-3
Without Kawhi 7-4
Without Russ 6-6
donemilio21
Analyst
And1: 773

Post#24 » by donemilio21 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:53 am

Rather than a recently fired head coach (Brett Brown, D'Antoni, Mcmillan, Gentry etc..) or a one that hasn't coached in years (JvG-13 years, Phil Jackson-10years, Mark Jackson-5 years) I'd rather have us go for a current assistant coach.
MartinRiggs
Junior
And1: 136

Post#25 » by MartinRiggs » Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:12 am

Just say no to D'Antoni and Gentry. :D
Wammy Giveaway
Starter
And1: 1,088

About D'Antoni... 

Post#26 » by Wammy Giveaway » Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:27 am

You know, if the Clippers hire D'Antoni, does this mean they can go after...

James Harden?!

After he was let go by Rockets, this rumor by John Clark popped up:

Read on Twitter

Would you want Harden on Clippers as part of hire?
MartinRiggs
Junior
And1: 136

Post#27 » by MartinRiggs » Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:57 am

PG-Harden trade did pop in my mind. :lol:
NickP
Bench Warmer
And1: 913

Post#28 » by NickP » Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:43 pm

DieHardFan wrote:Well, if the reports are true that we're interested with lue, jvg, d'antoni etc. Would be lame. We need a new direction and approach. Why not Becky Hammon? Wasn't she the summer league champion last year?

Very interesting. Becky Hammon would make a good hire.
Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,640

Post#29 » by Quake Griffin » Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:52 pm

I certainly hope the Clippers think outside of the box and get creative. Anybody can hire a "proven" retread coach. We need to be beating teams to the future.

I also hope that coach we get back to investing in the draft and this coach is interested in developing talent for our roster.

Doc refused to develop talent unless it was his son or a "proven" vet that needed thousands of reps to get back to themselves.

I hope those days are over.
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
NippySudz
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,460

Post#30 » by NippySudz » Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:59 pm

Chauncey billups is a good one. I think as someone without experience.

Let him hire his own staff and pay an associate head coach.
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,724

Post#31 » by madmaxmedia » Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:36 pm

Quake Griffin wrote:I certainly hope the Clippers think outside of the box and get creative. Anybody can hire a "proven" retread coach. We need to be beating teams to the future.

I also hope that coach we get back to investing in the draft and this coach is interested in developing talent for our roster.

Doc refused to develop talent unless it was his son or a "proven" vet that needed thousands of reps to get back to themselves.

I hope those days are over.

I agree on not wanting a re-tread. I don't think that's our FO's MO, not for Ballmer and not for West. 'Re-tread' is a somewhat subjective term, but personally I don't think it's going to end up being Lue or Van Gundy, the other name currently being mentioned (although I believe they are candidates at this point, and I think Lue should be seriously considered.) I think having West as a guiding hand will give Frank more confidence to make his best choice, not the safest choice (they can be the same guy, but not always.)

I think it's going to be someone at least somewhat surprising, but will work out in the end. Of the names thrown around so far, Chauncey Billups and Brett Brown wouldn't surprise me. I'm not saying I think they're the top candidates (I honestly don't know enough about most head coaches or head coach candidates to have a strong opinion), but someone like that. I personally like D'Antoni, but not for this job- this is a team that can and should be coached to be a force at both ends of the floor- not in a 'just hire a good defensive assistant coach' way, but in a total team culture/priority way. IMO that's how you maximize our 2 stars, they are both 2-way players after all...

No one totally out of left field, but somewhat surprising. Someone who's floor is at least moderate competency, and whose upside may not yet be established but is favorably viewed by the FO. I say this because there's no seemingly obvious choice out there, unless say Pop wanted to coach here and Kawhi wanted him here as well. I don't think that's actually out of the question, I think Kawhi might be more favorably inclined given our early exit this year (if this was actually the case and there was mutual interest, then it's a done deal in the next couple of days.)

I think anyone who thinks this team is standing still or playing it safe has forgotten just how much turnover and franchise-altering moves we've made the last couple of years. Letting go of Doc was not an easy choice to make regardless of the disappointment of the playoffs, he has meant a lot to this organization over the years and deserved to be treated with respect. But we still went ahead and did it, and I think we are going to be assertive as possible with both coaching staff and roster moves this offseason.

EDIT- I also agree with your point about personnel development. Obviously winning a title is priority, but there also needs to be a balance between trying to win every game and also developing your young players. Giving a young guy decent bench minutes may result in a couple of losses now, but can pay off with more wins later over multiple seasons.
Wammy Giveaway
Starter
And1: 1,088

Keep In Mind 

Post#32 » by Wammy Giveaway » Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:33 pm

For The Fans Who Want A Proven Commodity

Look at the coach's resume; their rankings in regular season; their results in the playoffs; how they do in particular situations. For example, Jeff Van Gundy: good name, mediocre results. He's normally a 1st and 2nd round exit coach. His only Finals appearance was in the lockout, and it was as an 8th seed carrying an injured Patrick Ewing. He's never been higher than 3rd. That Cinderella run in the lockout is the only reason he's being considered.

For The Fans Who Want A New Face

One of the Clipper's greatest weakness is wanting to be loved, respected and worshiped like Lakers. So they copy other franchise's past ideas just so they can get that attention. All their moves have failed. The only thing that's worked (if you could even call it that) was the Revenge Of The Role Players, making the playoffs without an All-Star on the roster in the 2018-19 season. The Clippers need to be original: find a coach that nobody has ever heard of before, who also has a unique spin, something that no other coach has ever attempted. Everybody is looking for the 2.0 of Gregg Popovich, Phil Jackson, Erik Spoelstra, Nick Nurse, Pat Riley, Larry Brown, etc. Instead of copying somebody else's coach or poaching from that somebody else's coach, find a coach that other franchises will want to copy. It's time the tables have turned: let other franchises copy the Clippers instead of the Clippers being forced to copy them.
TheNewEra
RealGM
And1: 10,409

Post#33 » by TheNewEra » Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:34 pm

Exciting times for the franchise
Captain Ballmer
Pro Prospect
And1: 725

Post#34 » by Captain Ballmer » Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:46 pm

Doc was the last major piece still standing from Sterling Era. Even though he's a victim, we needed this revelation, new face of coaching as well long before.

I'd like Ballmer to put another unorthodox move and hire the first female headcoach to the nba. Change the narrative completely.
2023 Clippers W/L Count (51-31)
(Russ at bench 42-15)
without PG13 3-3
Without Kawhi 7-4
Without Russ 6-6
nickhx2
RealGM
And1: 6,272

Post#35 » by nickhx2 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:17 pm

lucas hann at 213hoops had a good writeup on potential candidates

https://213hoops.com/10-nba-head-coaching-candidates-la-clippers-doc-rivers-ty-lue/
Clemenza
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,212

Post#36 » by Clemenza » Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:41 pm

DieHardFan wrote:Doc was the last major piece still standing from Sterling Era. Even though he's a victim, we needed this revelation, new face of coaching as well long before.

I'd like Ballmer to put another unorthodox move and hire the first female headcoach to the nba. Change the narrative completely.

Love Becky Hammond as well but this is going to be a highly securitized- high pressured win now situation.. way too much for any first time head coach let alone for the first female head coach in the NBA. Its not happening. More than likely its going to be a retread like Van Gundy or Ty Lue but really we just need someone who's going to hold the entire team accountable, plays no favorites, and is about player development. I would love to come across the next Nick Nurse or Spolstra but a new unknown radical hire isn't what's really needed right now. Splostra worked out because he learned from Pat Riley and also the fact that Riles had his back throughout the entire time. Nobody is going to have the back publicly and behind closed doors of an unknown or the first female coach so our next hire will have to withstand the heavy pressure that'll come with this job
NoZoLakers
General Manager
And1: 3,358

Post#37 » by NoZoLakers » Wed Sep 30, 2020 5:42 am

TheNewEra wrote:What about Thibs?

nyk coach n he aint load managing nothing dude will play his stars 40mins a night
TheNewEra
RealGM
And1: 10,409

Post#38 » by TheNewEra » Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:57 am

NoZoLakers wrote:
TheNewEra wrote:What about Thibs?

nyk coach n he aint load managing nothing dude will play his stars 40mins a night

Lol my bad forgot he got that job
NippySudz
Assistant Coach

Post#39 » by NippySudz » Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:31 am

MartinToVaught wrote:I've been saying for years that the Clippers should look to Europe for the next coach. Someone like Jasikevicius, Obradovic, Itoudis, Pablo Laso, etc. Europe has been producing incredible basketball talent for a while now and one of the biggest reasons why is the coaching/systems they get to develop with. I think it's silly to dismiss an entire continent full of coaches just because Blatt didn't do well in Cleveland.

It would be a bold move, I'm sure it's an unpopular opinion, but conventional coaching hires have rarely worked out for the Clippers, so we should try something different.

we're in win now mode. You think a european coach can win it all next year? Someone with no prior experience in the nba at any level? That's a bold ask. You might be right but its super bold. Also, if the front offices are shrugging off the hiring european talent, the players might. You need a guy that the locker room can respect and can manage personalities.
NippySudz
Assistant Coach

Post#40 » by NippySudz » Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:33 am

nickhx2 wrote:mike D would be a good choice i think.

he can do some pretty awesome things with the right personnel. don't forget how close houston was to beating GS, in lieu of cp3's injury.

if they bring him in and give him a couple more utility defensive pieces, i think the team would do quite well.

We don't need retreads. Kawhi leonards bread and butter is in the midrange. Mike d'antoni is not a midrange guy. Look what he did with carmelo AND kobe. No dude. Harden fit his offense. That's why he excelled with harden.

Return to Los Angeles Clippers