ImageImage

Should ATL pursue a trade for Oladipo?

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

Which Hawks player would you be willing to include in a trade for Oladipo?

De'Andre Hunter
No votes
Cam Reddish
38%
Kevin Huerter
63%

Total votes: 8

nybluemeadow
Rookie
And1: 508

Re: Should ATL pursue a trade for Oladipo? 

Post#21 » by nybluemeadow » Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:58 am

jayu70 wrote:
nybluemeadow wrote:If Oladipo interests Hawks' fans, maybe a deal can be worked out with the Knicks for RJ Barrett

Why do you want to trade him? What's wrong with him?

RJ is a very good player but i like John Collin to pair up with Robinson.

I also think the Knicks can get a good wing player at #8 like Nesmith, Haliburton, or Vassell, rather then getting an offensive PF at #8

I know Collins is worth Anthony Edwards, but if RJ stayed in Duke for his sophomore year, he would have been the clear #1 in this year's draft.
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,909

Post#22 » by jayu70 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:09 pm

nybluemeadow wrote:
jayu70 wrote:
nybluemeadow wrote:If Oladipo interests Hawks' fans, maybe a deal can be worked out with the Knicks for RJ Barrett

Why do you want to trade him? What's wrong with him?

RJ is a very good player but i like John Collin to pair up with Robinson.

I also think the Knicks can get a good wing player at #8 like Nesmith, Haliburton, or Vassell, rather then getting an offensive PF at #8

I know Collins is worth Anthony Edwards, but if RJ stayed in Duke for his sophomore year, he would have been the clear #1 in this year's draft.

Got it!
We love the JC pairing with Trae especially in the PnR. Add in Collins growing 3pt shot the expectation is it will pair well with Capela. He is our starting PF and I don't see trading him for a SG when we have Huerter and Reddish at that position.
azuresou1
Head Coach
And1: 1,072

Post#23 » by azuresou1 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:18 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
Offseason Trades for NBA Lottery Teams

Hawks Win Victor Oladipo Sweepstakes

Atlanta Hawks receive: Victor Oladipo

Indiana Pacers receive: Dewayne Dedmon, Kevin Huerter, Cam Reddish and 2020 No. 6 pick

The dismissal of head coach Nate McMillan could be the tip of the iceberg for an offseason overhaul in the Circle City. With Mike D'Antoni reportedly on the radar, per ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski, a potential shift to small-ball might finally break apart the Myles Turner-Domantas Sabonis frontcourt. Plus, Victor Oladipo is approaching the final year of his contract and has no financial reasons to extend it.

"I bet they trade him" a former Eastern Conference executive said of Oladipo, per B/R's Eric Pincus.
If Oladipo hits the trade market, Atlanta should be ready with an aggressive bid. The Hawks think their young nucleus is ready for its first playoff flight, and the same win-now mindset that drew them to Clint Capela at the trade deadline could now put Oladipo in the crosshairs.

If Oladipo retains his old All-Star form, he might be the perfect backcourt complement to Trae Young. Oladipo is a disruptive defender (15th-most steals since 2013-14, 10th-most defensive win shares among guards over that stretch), a shot-creator (for himself and his teammates) and a capable shooter (career 35.0 percent from three). He can thrive alongside Young and prevent the pitfalls this offense suffered when he took a seat.

As Pincus noted, Atlanta also has the cap space needed to potentially put an extension in play for Oladipo. If the cap stays at $109.1 million, the Hawks could renegotiate his 2020-21 salary to $32.7 million and then extend him two additional seasons for about $70 million.

Indiana, meanwhile, goes from risking Oladipo leaving for nothing to restocking the shelves with three rotation players and an early draft pick. Assuming the Pacers want to perk up their perimeter game—why else would they be eyeing D'Antoni?—Huerter and Dedmon can both help with that. Reddish is a bit of a wild card, but his flashes of significant upside came more regularly late in the season.
Bleacher Report

I retched
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,462

Post#24 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:30 am

Read on Twitter
Spud2nique
General Manager
And1: 5,135

Post#25 » by Spud2nique » Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:13 am

No Dipo for us. Keep with the building. Also, he wussed out of the bubble. I don’t need heart like that around our young guys.
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,375

Post#26 » by King Ken » Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:40 am

I wish we can neg idiots on this site. Stop bringing up this stupid ****.
Buzzard
RealGM
And1: 7,522

Post#27 » by Buzzard » Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:23 am

Oladipo had a .506 TS% this season. In 2018/19 before he was injured he was at a .519 TS%. Other than his super season, he has never had a TS% over .534. That is one season at .577 and 6 seasons at .534 or less.

Schlenk is a numbers guy, I think him and most of the GMs in the league know this also.
BAF Pacers: Unleash Trae!

PG Ice Trae
SG Buddy Hield/Luke Kennard/Brandin Podziemski
SF OG Anunoby/Terrence Ross/Kris Murray
PF Richaun Holmes/JaMychal Green/Chris Livingston
C KAT/Mark Williams
kg01
General Manager
And1: 12,629

Post#28 » by kg01 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:14 pm

King Ken wrote:I wish we can neg idiots on this site. Stop bringing up this stupid ****.

Cmon soupy, no need to be mean. Take the opportunity to educate.

He seems like a good one to pursue, on paper. But, when you actually look into it, it falls apart.

It's no secret I'm also frustrated that we keep getting attached to this. This dude literally had one good year that he's never duicated, and now he's injured. No way I give up assets to rent him til he jumps to Miami or wherever.
king01 :king:
myrak433
Sixth Man
And1: 229

Post#29 » by myrak433 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:44 pm

Hawks should pursue LaVine.............
December of 2019 “Trae Young Involved in 'Emotional' Locker Room Scene After Hawks Loss. Atlanta Hawks star Trae Young is unsurprisingly getting tired of the team's struggles.”

Get Trae some HELP!!!!
shakes0
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,950

Post#30 » by shakes0 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:13 pm

myrak433 wrote:Hawks should pursue LaVine.............

instaban! :lol:
Radioblacktive1
Senior
And1: 554

Post#31 » by Radioblacktive1 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:16 pm

Decided things were too peaceful around here huh?
kg01
General Manager
And1: 12,629

Post#32 » by kg01 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:20 pm

Radioblacktive1 wrote:

Decided things were too peaceful around here huh?

Ha, he can't help himself. It's ok though. I think most of us just :roll: and think, "Bless his heart."
king01 :king:
myrak433
Sixth Man

Post#33 » by myrak433 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:21 pm

I can’t help myself. This just makes too much sense to me. :banghead:
December of 2019 “Trae Young Involved in 'Emotional' Locker Room Scene After Hawks Loss. Atlanta Hawks star Trae Young is unsurprisingly getting tired of the team's struggles.”

Get Trae some HELP!!!!
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#34 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:42 pm

Victor Oladipo's Value Not As High As 'Name Brand Would Suggest'

Because of the injury and his status as a pending free agent, it might be difficult for the Pacers to be incentivized enough to consider trading him.

"I think it's unlikely Oladipo gets traded because of how weird his past year has been," said Tim Bontemps on The Hoop Collective Podcast. "Both coming back from the injury, and frankly, not being very good after coming back from the injury.

"From talking to people around the league, I don't think his value is nearly as high as his name brand would suggest at the moment. And I think it's more likely that the Pacers go into the season and either hope he plays really well and they do great and he decides to stay. Or that he plays better and they maybe trade him later, when his value goes up soon."
RealGM Wiretap
myrak433
Sixth Man

Post#35 » by myrak433 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:25 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
Victor Oladipo's Value Not As High As 'Name Brand Would Suggest'

Because of the injury and his status as a pending free agent, it might be difficult for the Pacers to be incentivized enough to consider trading him.

"I think it's unlikely Oladipo gets traded because of how weird his past year has been," said Tim Bontemps on The Hoop Collective Podcast. "Both coming back from the injury, and frankly, not being very good after coming back from the injury.

"From talking to people around the league, I don't think his value is nearly as high as his name brand would suggest at the moment. And I think it's more likely that the Pacers go into the season and either hope he plays really well and they do great and he decides to stay. Or that he plays better and they maybe trade him later, when his value goes up soon."
RealGM Wiretap

what are your thoughts on Dipo?

Get Trae some HELP!!!!
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#36 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:33 pm

myrak433 wrote:what are your thoughts on Dipo?

I've always liked him as a player, even going back to IU.

I thought he was woefully underrated in Orlando, hampered by bad coaching, bad roster construction and poor leadership overall.

I also think he is, in theory, a perfect backcourt mate for Trae: Strong defender, secondary shot creator, can finish at the rim, able to hit open jumpers.

Admittedly, the concerns regarding his recent injury history are understandable. Also, the fact he's a FA in 2021 makes it difficult to pay a ton for him.

Big picture -- adding a healthy Oladipo to our roster makes us a surefire playoff team. I don't believe it makes us a championship contender as we are currently constructed.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 7,989

Post#37 » by HMFFL » Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:19 pm

An unnamed NBA executive said that Victor Oladipo is "looking for a max deal" this offseason, according to Eric Pincus of Bleacher Report.

It was previously reported that Oladipo is "looking to move on" from the Pacers, after both sides failed to agree on an extension last summer. The Knicks may have interest in Oladipo, but commanding a max salary from any team may be difficult for multiple reasons. Among them are the facts that team revenues plunged in 2019-20, and Oladipo has played a combined 55 games over the past two seasons. He averaged 14.5 points on 39.4% shooting this year, including 31.7% from deep, so fantasy managers should tread warily.

SOURCE: Bleacher Report

Oct 18, 2020, 8:36 PM ET

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#38 » by Jamaaliver » Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:13 am

Should the Pacers Trade Their Franchise Star Again?

Some reports suggest that Oladipo wants to be in a bigger market—one where his “brand has a better chance of growing,” as Bob Kravitz of The Athletic put it. Others suggest that winning might be his main motivator. If Oladipo’s unconvinced he can take a real run at a ring with a franchise that’s nearly always good but never quite great—a cold calculation, perhaps, but one grounded in logic given the NBA’s landscape—then it makes sense that he’d consider his options.

...it’d behoove Pacers president of basketball operations Kevin Pritchard to explore the trade market for his All-NBA guard. That will likely depend, though, on whether the rest of the NBA still sees an All-NBA guard when they look at Vic. And at the moment—nearly 30 months since Oladipo was at the peak of his powers, dueling LeBron James in the playoffs, and more than 20 months since he ruptured the quadriceps tendon in his right knee—the leaguewide view might not be so sunny.

...you also have to wrangle with Oladipo’s production in 2018-19 before his right leg injury, which had undeniably dipped. During that half-season, Oladipo’s shooting percentages declined across the board. His free throw rate dropped while his 3-point rate rose. He seemed to lack both the lift on his jumper and the quickness to slalom around obstacles. He was still good, still productive, but more along the lines of a fringe All-Star than a bona fide All-NBA game changer—a difference that, when it comes to franchise-shaking trade proposals and free-agency offers, is all the difference in the world.

How do you value someone who was one of the 15 best players in the league three seasons ago, but who has rarely approached that peak level since? What kind of offer can you feel comfortable making? What kind of offer could either side feel comfortable accepting?

If Oladipo gets back to his old self, he could be a swing piece that elevates a contender—a legitimate three-level scorer, a capable pick-and-roll ball facilitator, and a hard-nosed perimeter defender who can lock down top options and wreck game plans. That guy’s worth mortgaging future pieces to elevate your existing core. But if he’s not that guy to the degree he was during that one magical season—and, it’s worth noting, only during that one season—then how can a would-be contender feel confident bundling its best assets for him?
The Ringer
azuresou1
Head Coach
And1: 1,072

Post#39 » by azuresou1 » Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:28 pm

I don't think Oladipo has any value, and his delusional expectation that he's a max player drags his value even lower since it proves he has an inflated ego and likely won't tolerate having to earn his minutes.

For the Hawks I'd offer some seconds and that'd be about it.
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,909

Post#40 » by jayu70 » Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:19 pm

This is very similar to the Drummond trade (no not that they are similar players), but their impending FAcy and future asking salary lowers their value unless you are just willing to pay whatever. That’s not a good move for the Hawks.

Return to Atlanta Hawks