ImageImageImageImageImage

Doc out!!!!!!!!!

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,158

Re: Doc out!!!!!!!!! 

Post#61 » by MartinToVaught » Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:34 am

nickhx2 wrote:austin rivers was ok. he wasn't great, he wasn't horrible, he was ok. he didn't disrupt the team, he didn't take minutes from people who deserved it more.

Austin was terrible and let's not forget how Doc dedicated an entire season of Clippers basketball to padding his stats at the expense of the team.
Captain Ballmer
Pro Prospect
And1: 724

Post#62 » by Captain Ballmer » Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:13 am

This is a good day. Very good one.
2023 Clippers W/L Count (51-31)
(Russ at bench 42-15)
without PG13 3-3
Without Kawhi 7-4
Without Russ 6-6
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,692

Post#63 » by madmaxmedia » Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:12 am

Clemenza wrote:
NickP wrote:Make a run for Brad Stevens or Monty Williams. No retreads like Nate or D'Antoni

Its lookin' like Ty Lue's the guy. I'm cool with that

Have there been rumors?

I’m not necessarily opposed, but I think they will take a little time to survey the landscape for candidates (Lue being one of them.) Money is obviously not going to be the obstacle if it comes to that.
MartinRiggs
Junior
And1: 136

Post#64 » by MartinRiggs » Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:52 am

Yessss,let's celebrate. :rockon:

Amazing news,I was sure it wouldn't happen. :D
Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,640

Post#65 » by Quake Griffin » Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:23 pm

Sending out anything for Austin as a return was criminal.

And he WAS terrible. Doc just kept sending him out there until he was finally serviceable and until he had the "who else are we gonna play" excuse. That's bull and he never EVER gave any draft pick or young player that kind of opportunity.

Move was wack.
Always was wack from the beginning.
And we wouldn't have had to deal with that garbage if Doc didn't try to save his son's career.
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
NippySudz
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,460

Post#66 » by NippySudz » Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:55 pm

Jovan Buha wrote:
Back in mid-February, right before the All-Star break, the Clippers were on the road in Philadelphia in a game hyped as potential Finals preview. With 12.9 seconds remaining in the first half and the Clippers inbounding the ball, Landry Shamet checked into the game for Leonard.

As Leonard walked toward the Clippers’ bench, he demonstrably gestured towards Rivers, yelling “There’s 12 seconds left! We’re down two!” while throwing up his arms in disappointment at the decision to bench him so late in the half.

An outward display of emotion like that was rare from Leonard. Before Leonard could sit down, Rivers retracted his decision and instead subbed out Lou Williams.

Williams, who was setting up on the left block to come off of a Harrell screen, sauntered off the floor, pausing for a second to throw his arms up at Rivers to display his displeasure.

The interaction was jarring and awkward.

Imagine subbing out your best player for Landry Shamet. What a dumbass coach. I'm glad he's gone. Best of luck to him somewhere else.

https://theathletic.com/2100899/2020/09/29/an-inside-look-at-the-clippers-and-doc-rivers-decision-to-part-ways-after-another-collapse/
MartinToVaught
RealGM

Post#67 » by MartinToVaught » Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:57 pm

Can't wait to read all the stories that will inevitably come out about Doc's awful coaching now that the Clippers have moved on. The best part will be seeing how esqtvd spins all of them to make him and Doc right and the rest of the world wrong. :lol:
NippySudz
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,460

Post#68 » by NippySudz » Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:58 pm

MartinToVaught wrote:Can't wait to read all the stories that will inevitably come out about Doc's awful coaching now that the Clippers have moved on. The best part will be seeing how esqtvd spins all of them to make him and Doc right and the rest of the world wrong. :lol:

I already posted one except above your post.
MartinToVaught
RealGM

Post#69 » by MartinToVaught » Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:11 pm

NippySudz wrote:
MartinToVaught wrote:Can't wait to read all the stories that will inevitably come out about Doc's awful coaching now that the Clippers have moved on. The best part will be seeing how esqtvd spins all of them to make him and Doc right and the rest of the world wrong. :lol:

I know. My point is, there's seven years worth of this foolishness, so I'm sure more will be coming out.

Another fun fact from this Athletic piece: the "philosophical differences" that got Doc fired included his refusal to develop young talent and his favoritism for Trez over Zu. In other words, the exact two concerns that esqtvd has shouted down his entire time here. Turns out Ballmer was on Planet Zubac all along. :lol:
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,692

Post#70 » by madmaxmedia » Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:07 pm

https://vimeo.com/77534838

I wish I could embed Vimeo vids, this is not on Youtube. :lol:
MartinRiggs
Junior
And1: 136

Post#71 » by MartinRiggs » Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:28 pm

"Steve Ballmer called several key players on the Los Angeles Clippers to get their opinions before parting ways with Doc Rivers as head coach.
Ballmer called both Kawhi Leonard and Paul George and sources say nothing the players told him changed his mind about moving on from Rivers."

Maybe both guys said fire him,he got us fooled like he was great coach as media praises him all the time. :lol:
NickP
Bench Warmer
And1: 893

Post#72 » by NickP » Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:38 pm

MartinToVaught wrote:
NippySudz wrote:

I know. My point is, there's seven years worth of this foolishness, so I'm sure more will be coming out.

Another fun fact from this Athletic piece: the "philosophical differences" that got Doc fired included his refusal to develop young talent and his favoritism for Trez over Zu. In other words, the exact two concerns that esqtvd has shouted down his entire time here. Turns out Ballmer was on Planet Zubac all along. :lol:

Lol. Read this Doc apologist article.
https://www.si.com/nba/2020/09/29/clippers-fire-doc-rivers-early-exit-playoffs
Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,640

Post#73 » by Quake Griffin » Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:11 pm

Ballmer talked to the players and nothing they said changed his mind about the decision.

Looks like this was more than about Game 7.
Looks like this was more than just players wanting him back.
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
clipperlover
Rookie
And1: 978

Post#74 » by clipperlover » Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:16 pm

nickhx2 wrote:lmao so tired of that take. austin rivers was ok. he wasn't great, he wasn't horrible, he was ok. he didn't disrupt the team, he didn't take minutes from people who deserved it more.

not sure why you think this is from the hand of jerry west, exclusively. the entire front office is very smart. no need to feed into some narrative.

Incorrect. Silver Spoon was a scrap heap player that Boston was going to waive until the Clips traded for him. Waiving him would have made him fight for Minumum salary deals. Instead, the Clips re-signed him to a larger deal than he had. Then, the following off-season, they paid him 3.5 times his prior year salary. He was never worth $11M/yr as a player, but he took up that cap space.

As for playing time, I think Lance Stephenson begs to differ. Lance was forced to play out of position, so Spoon could be the SG.

If Spoon would have been signed on a 10 Day deal and played on the minimum deals he was deserving, then he MAY have been worth having on the roster. Instead, Daddy picking him up allowed him to make much more money (Bird Rights) than he would have ever gotten if his Daddy never traded for him. All at the expense of our valuable cap space. For those self-serving reasons alone, I am glad they are gone.

https://www.nba.com/clippers/austin-rivers-re-signs
https://www.businessinsider.com/clippers-austin-rivers-trade-team-rift-chris-paul-trade-2017-6
LamarWho
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,083

Post#75 » by LamarWho » Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:39 pm

TrueLAfan
Senior Mod - Clippers
Senior Mod - Clippers
And1: 1,420

Post#76 » by TrueLAfan » Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:02 pm

Austin is who he is—a #4 or #5 guard on a good team. He shouldn’t have been getting 25+ minutes from us, but he just didn’t matter a whole lot. He was/is the least of my concerns with Doc. I haven’t thought any more about Austin Rivers since he left than I have about, say, Damyean Dotson. Just not on my radar.

Like I said in another post, I’ll always be glad for the legitimacy that Doc gave to our franchise. That’s doesn’t excuse his poor GMing and mediocre coaching, though. The player reactions say it all. Time for a change.

Personally, I hope we go for someone new. I’m kinda done with retreads and people who made their mark elsewhere. For one thing, I think part of the problem here was that our coaching/GMing thought in 2005 terms. Different game now. I’d be more in favor of someone who grasps that.
Clemenza
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,196

Post#77 » by Clemenza » Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:29 pm

We all saw it and it was the biggest headscratcher

Read on Twitter
Kelphus
Senior
And1: 528

Post#78 » by Kelphus » Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:52 pm

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/29996884/how-doc-rivers-clippers-partnership-fell-apart

Ramona Shelburne's articles are pretty good, this is no exception.
The Clipper fan understands the Book of Exodus better than anyone... what it's like to struggle 40 years in the wilderness... and Genesis.. why Cain went after Abel... So fLakers, look out... we're coming.
Roscoe Sheed
RealGM
And1: 4,384

Post#79 » by Roscoe Sheed » Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:44 am

clipperlover wrote:
nickhx2 wrote:lmao so tired of that take. austin rivers was ok. he wasn't great, he wasn't horrible, he was ok. he didn't disrupt the team, he didn't take minutes from people who deserved it more.

not sure why you think this is from the hand of jerry west, exclusively. the entire front office is very smart. no need to feed into some narrative.

Incorrect. Silver Spoon was a scrap heap player that Boston was going to waive until the Clips traded for him. Waiving him would have made him fight for Minumum salary deals. Instead, the Clips re-signed him to a larger deal than he had. Then, the following off-season, they paid him 3.5 times his prior year salary. He was never worth $11M/yr as a player, but he took up that cap space.

As for playing time, I think Lance Stephenson begs to differ. Lance was forced to play out of position, so Spoon could be the SG.

If Spoon would have been signed on a 10 Day deal and played on the minimum deals he was deserving, then he MAY have been worth having on the roster. Instead, Daddy picking him up allowed him to make much more money (Bird Rights) than he would have ever gotten if his Daddy never traded for him. All at the expense of our valuable cap space. For those self-serving reasons alone, I am glad they are gone.

https://www.nba.com/clippers/austin-rivers-re-signs
https://www.businessinsider.com/clippers-austin-rivers-trade-team-rift-chris-paul-trade-2017-6

I agree it was bad perceptually to sign Austin, but he is a decent bench player. Definitely not deserving of a large contract though.

He is a tough player though- I was impressed with him fighting through all of the injuries he suffered in the Portland series.

Stephenson is not a good NBA player. He is out of the league now isn't he? Not saying Austin is much better than him, but it's not like he stepped over some all star
Roscoe Sheed
RealGM
And1: 4,384

Post#80 » by Roscoe Sheed » Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:45 am

NickP wrote:
MartinToVaught wrote:
NippySudz wrote:I already posted one except above your post.

Lol. Read this Doc apologist article.
https://www.si.com/nba/2020/09/29/clippers-fire-doc-rivers-early-exit-playoffs

Doc deserved to get fired, but I think it is valid to point that other changes may be necessary too

Return to Los Angeles Clippers