Suggestion: "Anonymous" reporting

Want something added or changed? Let yourself be heard here!
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,536

Suggestion: "Anonymous" reporting 

Post#1 » by Dr Positivity » Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:50 am

I have seen personal attacks by posters in the last few days that I feel deserved to be reported but am terrified of using the report button as among the few times I've used it I have been warned on multiple occasions for "abusing the report button" and I am on my last strike making it not worth the risk. As a result RealGM will not receive my reports.

If you had an anonymous tip address however I would feel comfortable reporting posts more often knowing that they could not be proven it's me or lead to warnings or bannings. I understand the argument on the other side of not wanting to annoy admin and moderators with pure volume of reports.
Howard Mass
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 15,654

Re: Suggestion: "Anonymous" reporting 

Post#2 » by Howard Mass » Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:06 am

Dr Positivity wrote:I have seen personal attacks by posters in the last few days that I feel deserved to be reported but am terrified of using the report button as among the few times I've used it I have been warned on multiple occasions for "abusing the report button" and I am on my last strike making it not worth the risk. As a result RealGM will not receive my reports.

If you had an anonymous tip address however I would feel comfortable reporting posts more often knowing that they could not be proven it's me or lead to warnings or bannings. I understand the argument on the other side of not wanting to annoy admin and moderators with pure volume of reports.

Dr Positivity,

How many posts are you planning to report?

If the report is legit, there is no problem.
R.I.P. Dharam Raghubir (A.K.A. Magnumt)

:beer:
Dr Positivity
RealGM

Post#3 » by Dr Positivity » Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:54 pm

Howard Mass wrote:
Dr Positivity wrote:I have seen personal attacks by posters in the last few days that I feel deserved to be reported but am terrified of using the report button as among the few times I've used it I have been warned on multiple occasions for "abusing the report button" and I am on my last strike making it not worth the risk. As a result RealGM will not receive my reports.

Dr Positivity,

I can't play Russian Roulette guessing whether my report is legit, if being wrong means I'm warned/banned instead of my report simply being ignored, especially in my case where a 5th strike is the end of me.
Howard Mass
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#4 » by Howard Mass » Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:10 am

Dr Positivity wrote:
Howard Mass wrote:

Dr Positivity,

I can't play Russian Roulette guessing whether my report is legit, if being wrong means I'm warned/banned instead of my report simply being ignored, especially in my case where a 5th strike is the end of me.

Dr Positivity,

You could always PM a Moderator on The Forum.

Dr Positivity
RealGM

Post#5 » by Dr Positivity » Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:49 am

Howard Mass wrote:Dr Positivity,

My issue is that the moderators of forums I want to report people in disagree with me politically, but agree with the person or people I want to report, including in my opinion the single most toxic poster on RealGM who is on a 3rd grade bully tactics tear for the ages. I do not think the moderator(s) will be on my side who disagree with me politically, and precedent has shown it's more likely to put me in danger for bringing it up. Moderators are human and are not immune to tribalism which is at an all time high these days, and being biased towards people they agree with. This is one of the main reasons political forums and threads on RealGM and elsewhere have become a mess in my opinion because the most valued assets to the forum should be the ones who have the ability to debate others without personally attacking them. But increasingly those are the posters who are banned or neutered because they commit the crime of "wrongthink", and on the other hand if you're on the supposed right side politically you can get away with as much bullying as you want.
Howard Mass
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#6 » by Howard Mass » Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:43 pm

Dr Positivity wrote:

My issue is that the moderators of forums I want to report people in disagree with me politically, but agree with the person or people I want to report, including in my opinion the single most toxic poster on RealGM who is on a 3rd grade bully tactics tear for the ages. I do not think the moderator(s) will be on my side who disagree with me politically, and precedent has shown it's more likely to put me in danger for bringing it up. Moderators are human and are not immune to tribalism which is at an all time high these days, and being biased towards people they agree with. This is one of the main reasons political forums and threads on RealGM and elsewhere have become a mess in my opinion because the most valued assets to the forum should be the ones who have the ability to debate others without personally attacking them. But increasingly those are the posters who are banned or neutered because they commit the crime of "wrongthink", and on the other hand if you're on the supposed right side politically you can get away with as much bullying as you want.

If you report a post, Moderators will not dismiss it because of what they feel politically.

spree8
RealGM
And1: 5,811

Post#7 » by spree8 » Thu Jun 22, 2023 10:52 am

Howard Mass wrote:
Dr Positivity wrote:

If you report a post, Moderators will not dismiss it because of what they feel politically.

Outside wrote:Hello,

You have made multiple reports in the Left/Right, etc. thread regarding posts you claim are baiting and/or misquoting your posts. I have closed these reports.

Your behavior in the thread needs to stop. All of this is problematic:

-- Saying you're "just asking questions," which is a cheap trick used to introduce disreputable points and topics.

-- Refusing to acknowledge basic facts about Andrew Tate, RFK Jr., WiFi safety, and whatever else you have brought up in the thread.

-- Using the reporting feature in an attempt to get back at other posters.

The Current Affairs board has knowledgeable posters who discuss a multitude of topics, often exploring them in depth. Posting in support of Andrew Tate, RFK Jr., and absurd conspiracy theories does not fly here. You are the one baiting everyone else by posting these absurdities and ignoring any attempts to rebut them. Saying, for example, that RFK Jr. did something commendable earlier in his life doesn't excuse the fact that he is now a purveyor of disinformation on multiple topics and not a reliable source for anything at this point. Refusing to acknowledge this is not arguing in good faith, and even bringing up the WiFi safety topic is baiting.

While other users mocking your posts is not ideal, and I will post an advisory in the thread to stop it, what they are doing is responding to your baiting. You don't get to post a bunch of nonsense, not respond in good faith to good-faith attempts to engage you, and then claim to be the victim when posters react negatively to you.

We had previously not taken any action against you because we give posters a lot of latitude, and we hoped that it would just play itself out and go away. You in fact said you would stop participating in the thread. But overusing the report function, which is prohibited in the Current Affairs Board Policy, has forced our hand. I've given you a 12-hour suspension. Continuing your previous behavior on the board will result in further action.

Outside
spree8
RealGM
And1: 5,811

Post#8 » by spree8 » Thu Jun 22, 2023 11:07 am

I was just banned without warning by a moderator above for saying:

1: I like Andrew Tate’s tough love message to men about self improvement.

2: As of now, there’s no concrete evidence about his alleged crimes and I’ll wait and reserve judgment. I also questioned motive.

3: I mentioned the good things RFK Jr (who is polling @ 20%) has done for humanity and he seems to genuinely want to help people.

4: I said I don’t know what science he has in his court case to back up his claim about the dangers of WiFi, but I’ll wait and reserve judgment. Added that it’s common knowledge holding cell phones up to your ear 24/7 is bad for your health.

That’s literally all I’ve said and that was labeled baiting. Posters came in droves with personal attacks, insults/baiting, deliberate misquoting, etc (other moderators included) and I’m the one who got in trouble. I said I was leaving the thread, and I was quoted a few times afterwards and instead of responding, I hit the report button. I was then banned for a few hours for the reason listed in the above quote despite any warning (even after pm’ing the mod and getting no response), which is a clear indication of bias against me. And then posted this in the thread:

Singling me out as the “issue”

Essentially this thread (which apparently is for both party sides, YouTube, media etc) is only allowed to have people who think one way and get offended if you ask questions and don’t conform or succumb to their beliefs and it seems it’s moderated this way as well. It’s unfortunate.

Return to Feedback and Suggestions