ImageImageImage

Do you think Oubre would take a pay cut to be a 6th man?

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

What is the plan?

Yes, he loves it here
4%
No, trade him for assets
60%
Keep him and pay him the market value
36%

Total votes: 25

SlovenianDragon
Head Coach
And1: 11,051

Do you think Oubre would take a pay cut to be a 6th man? 

Post#1 » by SlovenianDragon » Fri Sep 4, 2020 9:27 pm

So we have seen some players come out and say they love phoenix.

It feels like we turned that culture around from the days when dragic was even bad mouthing us.

We seem to have a strong bond between these players.

Oubre seems to love it here he coined the term valley boyz.

With the emergence of Cam and Mikal its hard to imagine paying top dollar for Oubre and some1 will hes a good player.

But would Oubre be okay with still getting high minutes and still being a top tier scorer off the bench for less money to stay here?

I mean he could basically be our team MVP off the bench.

Lets be honest Oubre is the Suns biggest ?????????? right now.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,365

Re: Do you think Oubre would take a pay cut to be a 6th man? 

Post#2 » by bwgood77 » Sat Sep 5, 2020 3:48 am

No, I don't think he'd want to do either.
SunsLyf3
Sixth Man
And1: 1,557

Post#3 » by SunsLyf3 » Sat Sep 5, 2020 3:48 am

I'd offer him a front loaded deal with declining salaries.
RedIndian
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,807

Post#4 » by RedIndian » Sat Sep 5, 2020 6:21 am

Why should a player in his mid-20s take a paycut? He'll go to the highest bidder, and I don't think he'll be happy coming off the bench.

If we land a SF in the draft like Vassell or Bey, I think it's worth exploring Oubre trades for players like Dinwiddie, Levert, Kennard, Fournier etc. who'd be great in the 6th man role.

Of course if we end up taking somebody like Hayes or Haliburton or Cole or Kira in the draft, I think we'll just keep Oubre, and see how it goes in 2021.
ATTL
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,482

Post#5 » by ATTL » Sat Sep 5, 2020 9:49 am

Hes too young to consider a pay cut. He has 2 contracts left to make his big money that can set his family up for generations. I would take as much as possible if I was in his position.
Sugarless
Starter
And1: 1,978

Post#6 » by Sugarless » Sat Sep 5, 2020 9:53 am

I'm afraid not. He's young, he's improving and he's looking to earn and play as much as possible, he's not going to take a discount to stay in the same place, let alone become a 6th man.

If James Jones is not planning on resigning him next summer at the price Oubre would currently command, he'd do well to look for a trade, though it remains to be seen what he can get from KO with just one year left on his contract.
Bogyo
Analyst
And1: 2,254

Post#7 » by Bogyo » Sat Sep 5, 2020 10:21 am

I'd love it, but I seriously doubt it. This will (likely) be his biggest contract, as I do not think he will emerge as a superstar, and he will be 30 by the time his contract after this kicks in. If he is not getting a dumb Harris contract from someone this will be it.
Plus his personality does not seem to be that type - which is not bad or anything, not even sure, he just looks like it in my opinion...
Calvin Klein
RealGM
And1: 7,561

Post#8 » by Calvin Klein » Mon Sep 7, 2020 2:42 am

he's completely expendable.
TheBobster
Senior
And1: 645

Post#9 » by TheBobster » Mon Sep 7, 2020 3:19 am

I'm not sure there's going to be big money out there for many players. His best bet to get a big contract would be a sign & trade, and I wouldn't do that unless the returning player is a quality player who fills a need.
Qwigglez
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 13,637

Post#10 » by Qwigglez » Mon Sep 7, 2020 6:18 am

Would you take a paycut because you love your coworkers and city? Probably not, and neither would Oubre. The emergence of Cam Johnson was an 8-game sample. I'm not ready to crown him the starter just yet. I love the gravity he provides, but he can also be a spark plug off the bench. He shot 35% from 3 in the 8 bubble games the same as Oubre did all year. I'd rather Cam come off the bench with Carter and Payne.
cberry78
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,420

Post#11 » by cberry78 » Mon Sep 7, 2020 7:11 am

Qwigglez wrote:Would you take a paycut because you love your coworkers and city? Probably not, and neither would Oubre. The emergence of Cam Johnson was an 8-game sample. I'm not ready to crown him the starter just yet. I love the gravity he provides, but he can also be a spark plug off the bench. He shot 35% from 3 in the 8 bubble games the same as Oubre did all year. I'd rather Cam come off the bench with Carter and Payne.

Agreed. Let the 4 of them (KO, Bridges, Cam, and Saric) fight it out for the starting roles, all 4 of them will get 24+ a night covering the 2-3-4-5.
"Never argue with an idiot. You'll never convince the idiot that you're correct, and bystanders won't be able to tell who's who." - Mark Twain
RunDogGun
No Sham, More Cam
And1: 5,437

Post#12 » by RunDogGun » Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:21 pm

cberry78 wrote:
Qwigglez wrote:Would you take a paycut because you love your coworkers and city? Probably not, and neither would Oubre. The emergence of Cam Johnson was an 8-game sample. I'm not ready to crown him the starter just yet. I love the gravity he provides, but he can also be a spark plug off the bench. He shot 35% from 3 in the 8 bubble games the same as Oubre did all year. I'd rather Cam come off the bench with Carter and Payne.

Agreed. Let the 4 of them (KO, Bridges, Cam, and Saric) fight it out for the starting roles, all 4 of them will get 24+ a night covering the 2-3-4-5.

I think that battle has already occured, and Monty came to what I felt was the obvious conclusion, we start Bridges and Oubre. It makes our team better. Saric also showed he is our best big off the bench, being able to fill in for PF or C. I am super happy Cam did well in the bubble, and I am glad Monty followed the best starting lineup mentality, which was replace an injured Oubre with Cam.

Now if Oubre is worse after injury return, then that will completely change things. With all this time to recover, I think he will be just fine. But there is always a chance he isn't.
thamadkant
Suns Forum Picker of Cherries
And1: 7,771

Post#13 » by thamadkant » Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:53 am

No he will not, anything less than 20 Million a year and he will leave.. and he may actually get a 25+ Million dollar contract from one of the teams with space.
nevetsov
Head Coach
And1: 1,709

Post#14 » by nevetsov » Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:24 pm

No.
BobbieL
RealGM
And1: 6,785

Post#15 » by BobbieL » Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:49 pm

Its his choice but he is 25 years old or thereabouts - not too many times left in his life where he can get PAID

I think he should do whats best for he and his family and if that means going to to whatever team for the most money, more power to him.

Return to Phoenix Suns