Off-season News

Moderator: ijspeelman

JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,373

Off-season News 

Post#1 » by JonFromVA » Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:53 pm

Here's an article about what Darius has been up to during the off-season:

https://www.cleveland.com/cavs/2020/09/darius-garlands-confidence-at-all-time-high-after-productive-summer-weve-seen-a-new-darius.html?outputType=amp

All the things we'd want to hear (give or take growing 2" and adding 30lbs of muscle), now he just has to stay healthy and show it on the floor.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,089

Re: Off-season News 

Post#2 » by jbk1234 » Thu Oct 1, 2020 5:00 am

I'm glad to hear it. I want him to be successful.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using RealGM mobile app
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#3 » by Stillwater » Thu Oct 1, 2020 4:50 pm

Sounds promising , and hopefully an extended break really was the opportunity dg needed to get his body right so he can do his skillset against pros in year 2 with more success and certainly sounds like jbb is happy to have the option in the rotation but id be concerned he is still going to roll out a sexton dg back court since the positive news about Sexton has been there as well.
At the end of the day jbb backing dg is just a coach trying to be positive , lets hope he isnt playing games or blowing smoke
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#4 » by JonFromVA » Thu Oct 1, 2020 5:16 pm

Stillwater wrote:Sounds promising , and hopefully an extended break really was the opportunity dg needed to get his body right so he can do his skillset against pros in year 2 with more success and certainly sounds like jbb is happy to have the option in the rotation but id be concerned he is still going to roll out a sexton dg back court since the positive news about Sexton has been there as well.
At the end of the day jbb backing dg is just a coach trying to be positive , lets hope he isnt playing games or blowing smoke

We'll have to see if this will just be another season of throwing minutes at top picks and hoping they learn on the job; or whether JBB will experiment, hunt for optimal rotations, and let players earn their minutes.

Unfortunately there are some hard realities about managing an NBA team/locker-room and appeasing your GM and owner that I'll be very surprised if JBB goes against (beyond the fringes of the roster).

How could this be the case for the 2nd worst team in the league? I have no idea ... but if we see for example Kevin Love benched for not giving effort on defense, and say Nance Jr or our new pick starting instead I'll be very surprised.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#5 » by JonFromVA » Thu Oct 1, 2020 5:38 pm

ESPN is always quick to point and laugh at the Cavaliers organization, but Stephen A Smith was up on his soap box again this morning complaining about the dearth of black coaches and executives and that they are not groomed for these positions; and apparently it didn't for a moment occur to him to recognize that the Cavaliers have done exactly this with their head coach and GM.

Or does Koby Altman not count because he never played in the NBA?
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#6 » by Stillwater » Thu Oct 1, 2020 10:59 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
Stillwater wrote:Sounds promising , and hopefully an extended break really was the opportunity dg needed to get his body right so he can do his skillset against pros in year 2 with more success and certainly sounds like jbb is happy to have the option in the rotation but id be concerned he is still going to roll out a sexton dg back court since the positive news about Sexton has been there as well.

We'll have to see if this will just be another season of throwing minutes at top picks and hoping they learn on the job; or whether JBB will experiment, hunt for optimal rotations, and let players earn their minutes.

Unfortunately there are some hard realities about managing an NBA team/locker-room and appeasing your GM and owner that I'll be very surprised if JBB goes against (beyond the fringes of the roster).

How could this be the case for the 2nd worst team in the league? I have no idea ... but if we see for example Kevin Love benched for not giving effort on defense, and say Nance Jr or our new pick starting instead I'll be very surprised.

They will be putting the team on the floor with the best chance to win at this point imo, if nothing else they have to build up the trade values of Love and Dre for the long haul + it gives them the best chance to keep Sexton motivated since he is ready to win yesterday.
If the 2 guards are starting together imo it will only be the best chance to win if they are playing off each other not playing iso ball your turn my turn bs.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7 » by jbk1234 » Sun Oct 11, 2020 3:39 am

I really don't want to see Sexton and Garland starting in the same back court again. It's not fair to either player nor is it good for the Cavs. Even with considerable improvement on the defensive end from both of them, and I don't expect that to happen, you'd be unlikely to get to a neutral drpm from your back court.

Sexton should start and be given the chance to show he can maintain the same trajectory he showed at the end of last season. If he can, great. Garland can develop this year running the second unit. If Sexton regresses, if we get back to a place where he's only getting 2-3 assist per game and he's expending all his energy on the offensive end, then he and Garland should switch.

This is Sexton's third year on his rookie deal and it's the show me year. The Cavs have to make a decision about whether he's the type of starter you want to build with or if he's better suited as a sixth man.

cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#8 » by Stillwater » Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:01 am

jbk1234 wrote:I really don't want to see Sexton and Garland starting in the same back court again. It's not fair to either player nor is it good for the Cavs. Even with considerable improvement on the defensive end from both of them, and I don't expect that to happen, you'd be unlikely to get to a neutral drpm from your back court.

Sexton should start and be given the chance to show he can maintain the same trajectory he showed at the end of last season. If he can, great. Garland can develop this year running the second unit. If Sexton regresses, if we get back to a place where he's only getting 2-3 assist per game and he's expending all his energy on the offensive end, then he and Garland should switch.

This is Sexton's third year on his rookie deal and it's the show me year. The Cavs have to make a decision about whether he's the type of starter you want to build with or if he's better suited as a sixth man.

I agree with most of what you are saying, from a development standpoint but I dont think the starting line up under JBB will be anything concrete.I guess what I mean is I cannot see him playing whomever they take at 5 in the sl the way Beilein did DG unless its the 2nd half of the season after a busy deadline trade season.
I think we will see KPJ initiating the offense a lot with both smaller guards playing off him starting or otherwise right away anyway.
I would like to see Sexton continue his trajectory with high usage but do it within the flow of the game more. Hopefully the offseason will help all of them get better in sync
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#9 » by JonFromVA » Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:20 pm

jbk1234 wrote:I really don't want to see Sexton and Garland starting in the same back court again. It's not fair to either player nor is it good for the Cavs. Even with considerable improvement on the defensive end from both of them, and I don't expect that to happen, you'd be unlikely to get to a neutral drpm from your back court.

I'm fine with them trying any combination they want, but I doubt either Sexton or Porter Jr will be ready to run the show. I think there's a much higher chance that Sexton, Porter Jr, and Garland all improve defensively thanks to experience and hopefully some continuity of coaching.

If we re-sign Delly we could pair him with Collin. That would work, but I'm not sure the point unless we just feel Garland isn't quite ready to be starting. Otherwise, starting them both remains the path of least resistance IMO.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#10 » by Stillwater » Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:03 pm

JonFromVA wrote:

I'm fine with them trying any combination they want, but I doubt either Sexton or Porter Jr will be ready to run the show. I think there's a much higher chance that Sexton, Porter Jr, and Garland all improve defensively thanks to experience and hopefully some continuity of coaching.

If we re-sign Delly we could pair him with Collin. That would work, but I'm not sure the point unless we just feel Garland isn't quite ready to be starting. Otherwise, starting them both remains the path of least resistance IMO.

just curious what you mean by that exactly. are you suggesting Garland "should be" the best option and if so is it based on reasons pre nba and confidence in his health making him more impactful or are you just hoping his trajectory is one that makes him the best suited in the "floor general role" because if he isn't that you have to wonder what is he in the NBA at all given his turnstyle defense and lack of athleticism.
I mean despite needing to prove that is or is not true ( his best or maybe only shot is as the "floor general") even after a full season there where he was arguably the worst starter in the league?
I think the org needs to get a really good feel for if the two small guards can mesh a lot better regardless of their best attributes or skillsets to justify playing them together before the season even starts. & if the answer is not likely maybe one of them gets benched or Garland gets traded either way we should not ever see either one in the same line up until that changes by means of DG climbing the ladder if he was benched or falling into bust category on some other orgs depth chart
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#11 » by jbk1234 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:48 am

JonFromVA wrote:

If we need to re-sign Delly so we have a starter who can run an offense, after drafting 4 guards in the first round over the last 30 months, something has gone very, very wrong. I mean if Delly wants to re-sign for the vet minimum as a third string guard, I'm fine with that. But we really shouldn't be talking about Delly starting in 2020.

The only way that Sexton and Garland should see the floor together again, is if they both play so well separately, if they both are so improved defensively, that you feel like you need to give it another try before moving one of them.

cbosh4mvp wrote:
Revenged25
Analyst
And1: 1,002

Post#12 » by Revenged25 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:34 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

If we need to re-sign Delly so we have a starter who can run an offense, after drafting 4 guards in the first round over the last 30 months, something has gone very, very wrong. I mean if Delly wants to re-sign for the vet minimum as a third string guard, I'm fine with that. But we really shouldn't be talking about Delly starting in 2020.

The only way that Sexton and Garland should see the floor together again, is if they both play so well separately, if they both are so improved defensively, that you feel like you need to give it another try before moving one of them.

Isn't Windler more of a Forward or do you see him as a guard as well? Though I do agree that if not one of Garland/Sexton/KPJ can run an offense then we have a problem, especially since Garland was drafted specifically for that wasn't he?
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#13 » by JonFromVA » Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:05 pm

Stillwater wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

just curious what you mean by that exactly. are you suggesting Garland "should be" the best option and if so is it based on reasons pre nba and confidence in his health making him more impactful or are you just hoping his trajectory is one that makes him the best suited in the "floor general role" because if he isn't that you have to wonder what is he in the NBA at all given his turnstyle defense and lack of athleticism.
I mean despite needing to prove that is or is not true ( his best or maybe only shot is as the "floor general") even after a full season there where he was arguably the worst starter in the league?
I think the org needs to get a really good feel for if the two small guards can mesh a lot better regardless of their best attributes or skillsets to justify playing them together before the season even starts. & if the answer is not likely maybe one of them gets benched or Garland gets traded either way we should not ever see either one in the same line up until that changes by means of DG climbing the ladder if he was benched or falling into bust category on some other orgs depth chart

Garland has shown to me he has the best tools as a playmaker of the 3, so short of re-signing Delly or signing a free-agent guard that can run an offense and play defense - he needs to start. IMO he defends better than Sexton too, and that's taking in to account all the times he was physically overpowered as a rook.

otoh, Collin has scoring skills and off-the-ball shooting skills we need.

So yeah, it's not optimal but they are complimentary on offense and that's at least something. Until we have a better option we need what both players bring to our starting unit.

The Cavs want to be more competitive this year and that's fine; but player development should still be job #1 at this point of our rebuild,

Anyway, that's my take at this point.

The situation is not static. We don't know who we're going to draft, trade, or sign. We don't know who will step-up or step-down going in to the next season.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#14 » by JonFromVA » Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:24 pm

Revenged25 wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

The only way that Sexton and Garland should see the floor together again, is if they both play so well separately, if they both are so improved defensively, that you feel like you need to give it another try before moving one of them.[/url]

Isn't Windler more of a Forward or do you see him as a guard as well? Though I do agree that if not one of Garland/Sexton/KPJ can run an offense then we have a problem, especially since Garland was drafted specifically for that wasn't he?

I don't think we should be moving either Sexton or Garland without at least giving them a chance to build some positive value. Windler has the length to play small forward, but he's thin and light and may be better off at SG. Something to watch.

And yes, we drafted Garland because Collin doesn't know how to run a team.I don't know what JBB will do, but I wouldn't break them up just because of their defense. The whole team has a long ways to improve on that end.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#15 » by jbk1234 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:49 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
Revenged25 wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:If we need to re-sign Delly so we have a starter who can run an offense, after drafting 4 guards in the first round over the last 30 months, something has gone very, very wrong. I mean if Delly wants to re-sign for the vet minimum as a third string guard, I'm fine with that. But we really shouldn't be talking about Delly starting in 2020.

The only way that Sexton and Garland should see the floor together again, is if they both play so well separately, if they both are so improved defensively, that you feel like you need to give it another try before moving one of them.[/url]

I don't think we should be moving either Sexton or Garland without at least giving them a chance to build some positive value. Windler has the length to play small forward, but he's thin and light and may be better off at SG. Something to watch.

And yes, we drafted Garland because Collin doesn't know how to run a team.I don't know what JBB will do, but I wouldn't break them up just because of their defense. The whole team has a long ways to improve on that end.

I think if Sexton hasn't shown that he can run an offense, on a consistent basis, by midseason, it's time to reconcile yourself with the reality that he's a sixth man on a good team. He'll have positive trade value on his contract in that role. I'm cautiously optimistic he turned a bit of a corner at the end of last season but the proof will be in the pudding. Again, it's his third season.

Garland's basically an unknown because he was so undersized at 19 and they put him in an impossible position playing alongside Sexton. I'd rather see him adjust to the NBA without handicapping the young man further by doing that again. If he's playing better with the second unit than Sexton is in the first, the solution seems rather obvious.

As far as the bolded, some holes are too deep to get out of and that backcourt was unplayable defensively. You can hide a bad defender as a starter. You can try to hide two bad defenders in your starting unit if the other three players are all strong defenders. But you're really limiting the number of players who can fill out the three positions in the starting unit if you go there. Even with Dame and McCollum, who are light years ahead of our backcourt, you see the ceiling with that approach over multiple attempts to break past it.

Finally, Sexton and Garland weren't just bad together defensively, they had some of the worst advanced numbers in the NBA at their positions. That's both contagious and demoralizing to the guys playing alongside them. It's a really bad idea to start those two together to start the season.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#16 » by jbk1234 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:50 pm

Revenged25 wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

Windler is a 2/3 in the NBA.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#17 » by JonFromVA » Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:05 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
Revenged25 wrote:

I think if Sexton hasn't shown that he can run an offense, on a consistent basis, by midseason, it's time to reconcile yourself with the reality that he's a sixth man on a good team. He'll have positive trade value on his contract in that role. I'm cautiously optimistic he turned a bit of a corner at the end of last season but the proof will be in the pudding. Again, it's his third season.

Garland's basically an unknown because he was so undersized at 19 and they put him in an impossible position playing alongside Sexton. I'd rather see him adjust to the NBA without handicapping the young man further by doing that again. If he's playing better with the second unit than Sexton is in the first, the solution seems rather obvious.

As far as the bolded, some holes are too deep to get out of and that backcourt was unplayable defensively. You can hide a bad defender as a starter. You can try to hide two bad defenders in your starting unit if the other three players are all strong defenders. But you're really limiting the number of players who can fill out the three positions in the starting unit if you go there. Even with Dame and McCollum, who are light years ahead of our backcourt, you see the ceiling with that approach over multiple attempts to break past it.

Finally, Sexton and Garland weren't just bad together defensively, they had some of the worst advanced numbers in the NBA at their positions. That's both contagious and demoralizing to the guys playing alongside them. It's a really bad idea to start those two together to start the season.

We've been running the worst defense in the league for a while now and that goes back before Collin and Darius.

Fact is Collin can't run an offense. If he ever learns it's going to take a lot of time and experience - could be 5 years down the road.

When rebuilding through the draft you have to be willing to invest time for these players to make mistake and learn from them.

If we have better options, well, the cream will rise to the top.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#18 » by jbk1234 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:28 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

We've been running the worst defense in the league for a while now and that goes back before Collin and Darius.

Fact is Collin can't run an offense. If he ever learns it's going to take a lot of time and experience - could be 5 years down the road.

When rebuilding through the draft you have to be willing to invest time for these players to make mistake and learn from them.

There's a difference between young guys developing in competitive settings and young guys suffering through multiple seasons getting run out of the gym. The latter can be, and usually is, counter productive.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#19 » by JonFromVA » Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:19 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

There's a difference between young guys developing in competitive settings and young guys suffering through multiple seasons getting run out of the gym. The latter can be, and usually is, counter productive.

If you want a more functional team at this point, it'd be Collin coming off the bench. He's the SG that lacks SG size, doesn't know how to make his teammates better, and has been clueless on D inspite of having decent tools. I'd rather put that decision off as long as possible and preferably trade him before feeling I have to go there; because no matter how good - 6th men have little value.

Dame and CJ have won a lot of games. I wouldn't mind getting to their level before worrying about how we might go further ...
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#20 » by jbk1234 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:13 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

If you want a more functional team at this point, it'd be Collin coming off the bench. He's the SG that lacks SG size, doesn't know how to make his teammates better, and has been clueless on D inspite of having decent tools. I'd rather put that decision off as long as possible and preferably trade him before feeling I have to go there; because no matter how good - 6th men have little value.

Dame and CJ have won a lot of games. I wouldn't mind getting to their level before worrying about how we might go further ...

I think I'd rather start Sexton to start the season. I'm not terribly optimistic that the end of last season was a sign of things to come so much as that part of the season where young players shine because they're playing other young guys and good teams are tapering. But I don't want this to become a QB battle where you keep vacillating back and forth. If you end up sending Sexton to the bench, that's where he stays unless another team wants to give good value for him. In his third season, he'll have had ample opportunity to do what the team expects of him, and if he can't get it done, then he can't get it done and the debate's over. If you start Garland to start the season, then every time he hits a rough patch it's going to be should've started Sexton. I'd like to avoid all that.
cbosh4mvp wrote:

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers