ImageImageImage

Aaron Gordon to the Timberpups?

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Would you trade the #17 pick for Aaron Gordon?

Yes, trade makes sense for both teams
66%
No, just draft another rookie instead
34%

Total votes: 41

Neeva
Head Coach
And1: 2,167

Re: Aaron Gordon to the Timberpups? 

Post#101 » by Neeva » Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:48 pm

You have to admit though that Gordon was seen as the face as the magic a few years ago and as“untouchable” and is not anymore.

This draft is seen as weak at the top but there are many intriguing prospects in the late teens. I am treating the 17th as the wolves 2021 pick (since they currently do not own any) so will be happy with Terrell/Maxey/Pokusevski at 17 who will probably need a few years to develop.
The 2021 draft seems stronger at the top and then a major drop off after the lottery.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 13,963

Post#102 » by shrink » Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:54 pm

“Interest” in a player is not value. Rosas reportedly has talked to all 29 teams before the deadline, often many many times. Our best local sportswriter said that Aaron Gordon was discussed. However, he quickly went on to say that Rosas talks about so many players, that there is no steam to those discussions. He also mentioned that other teams spread the meeting around, to try to drum up interest, so expect a lot of players linked to MIN.

Every few years, we have a guy like you pop up, claiming that everybody is biased about players on his team. Believe me, we are not taking the time to collide against your favorite players. If you don’t want other people’s opinions, I would suggest not straying from the Magic fan board, where you can all pat yourselves on the back agreeing with how valuable all your guys are, as you roll to another .500 record (yike 33-40 this year) and a quick exit from the playoffs.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
Ducklett
Head Coach
And1: 4,940

Post#103 » by Ducklett » Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:03 pm

shrink wrote:“Interest” in a player is not value. Rosas reportedly has talked to all 29 teams before the deadline, often many many times. Our best local sportswriter said that Aaron Gordon was discussed. However, he quickly went on to say that Rosas talks about so many players, that there is no steam to those discussions. He also mentioned that other teams spread the meeting around, to try to drum up interest, so expect a lot of players linked to MIN.

Every few years, we have a guy like you pop up, claiming that everybody is biased about players on his team. Believe me, we are not taking the time to collide against your favorite players. If you don’t want other people’s opinions, I would suggest not straying from the Magic fan board, where you can all pat yourselves on the back agreeing with how valuable all your guys are, as you roll to another .500 record (yike 33-40 this year) and a quick exit from the playoffs.

I didn't say everyone was biased against the Magic. I said one poster, Texas Chuck, admits he is biased against AG.

I notice you don't have any proof for your claims nor against the fact that several teams are reported to be connected to AG, so I am going to end it here.

If you decide to move away from personal and team based attacks and towards discussion and facts, hit me up.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 13,963

Post#104 » by shrink » Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:16 pm

Again, “connected” to a player is no indication of specific value. Not sure how you think “connected” or “interested” must mean “higher than 17.”

I will add though that here at RealGM, we all have our own ideas on trade value, and my ideas don’t always agree with everyone else’s. And that’s fine - in fact, it sometimes is better than fine, because we have different discussions on our reasoning to arrive at our opinion. Heck, you can see it right in this thread - even within our fanbase, we embrace lots of different opinions of AaronGordon’s value and fit. I will say though that in all the years I’ve been here, all the differences I’ve had, that I have never dismissed anyone’s opinion by calling them “biased,” or claim that a board full of people “aren’t neutral.” That’s disrespecting those posters, and the time they took to post.

I apologize if I came on too strong, but that’s what wound me up.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
Ducklett
Head Coach

Post#105 » by Ducklett » Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:36 pm

shrink wrote:Again, “connected” to a player is no indication of specific value. Not sure how you think “connected” or “interested” must mean “higher than 17.”

I will add though that here at RealGM, we all have our own ideas on trade value, and my ideas don’t always agree with everyone else’s. And that’s fine - in fact, it sometimes is better than fine, because we have different discussions on our reasoning to arrive at our opinion. Heck, you can see it right in this thread - even within our fanbase, we embrace lots of different opinions of AaronGordon’s value and fit. I will say though that in all the years I’ve been here, all the differences I’ve had, that I have never dismissed anyone’s opinion by calling them “biased,” or claim that a board full of people “aren’t neutral.” That’s disrespecting those posters, and the time they took to post.

You still aren't representing what I said correctly, so I will say it again:

I don't think the whole of the boards are wholly biased, I said they are less likely to be representative or accurate compared to that of the professionals.
SO_MONEY
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,021

Post#106 » by SO_MONEY » Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:51 pm

Ducklett wrote:
shrink wrote:Again, “connected” to a player is no indication of specific value. Not sure how you think “connected” or “interested” must mean “higher than 17.”

I don't think the whole of the boards are wholly biased, I said they are less likely to be representative or accurate compared to that of the professionals.

Right...and you are representative of the professionals. Okay. Got it.
Ducklett
Head Coach

Post#107 » by Ducklett » Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:55 pm

SO_MONEY wrote:
Ducklett wrote:

I didn't say that either. That is why I spoke to what I read from professionals. You guys are being silly.
SO_MONEY
Lead Assistant

Post#108 » by SO_MONEY » Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:25 am

Ducklett wrote:
SO_MONEY wrote:
Ducklett wrote:

I didn't say that either. That is why I spoke to what I read from professionals. You guys are being silly.

Professionals are not going to tell you, the public or for the most part other professionals what they really think, that is their job. You're being silly. You have no idea what anyone thinks just the same as the rest of us, but information can be gauged and weighted and insights gleaned by public perception especially those individuals with high level human capital and corresponding experience.
Ducklett
Head Coach

Post#109 » by Ducklett » Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:38 am

SO_MONEY wrote:
Ducklett wrote:
SO_MONEY wrote:

Professionals are not going to tell you, the public or for the most part other professionals what they really think, that is their job. You're being silly. You have no idea what anyone thinks just the same as the rest of us, but information can be gauged and weighted and insights gleaned by public perception especially those individuals with high level human capital and corresponding experience.

Professional sports writers, commentators, and scouts aren't going to tell us what is going on? Woah! You may want to contact ESPN and tell them WOJ is conning them of money!
SO_MONEY
Lead Assistant

Post#110 » by SO_MONEY » Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:05 am

Ducklett wrote:
SO_MONEY wrote:
Ducklett wrote:

Professional sports writers, commentators, and scouts aren't going to tell us what is going on? Woah! You may want to contact ESPN and tell them WOJ is conning them of money!

I said my piece. You have demonstrated you are not providing the valued opinions by high human capital individuals I referenced and as such you are not worth anything further.
Ducklett
Head Coach

Post#111 » by Ducklett » Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:30 am

SO_MONEY wrote:
Ducklett wrote:
SO_MONEY wrote:

I said my piece. You have demonstrated you are not providing the valued opinions by high human capital individuals I referenced and as such you are not worth anything further.

Don't play the law, play the man. Shocker you go to personal insults. Sincerely, I am shocked.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,333

Post#112 » by Texas Chuck » Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:51 am

Ducklett wrote:[ The worst offender of this is Texas Chuck. And he free admits his bias against AG in pretty much every thread. .

Bias? If you mean I am clear in all the Gordon threads that I don't see him as particularly valuable, then sure guilty.
I don't think you understand what bias is. Me not liking a player as much as you isn't bias. It's simply a different evaluation.

But appreciate the shout out I guess. :D
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
thinktank
Analyst
And1: 1,624

Post#113 » by thinktank » Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:50 am

I’m with Chuck on this.

Not liking a player is not bias.

It is a difference of opinion.
What would you pay a guy putting up 18 and 11 in the playoffs?
Nick K
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,865

Post#114 » by Nick K » Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:39 am

Neeva wrote:Gordon is a player on steep decline in value, I don’t see that changing without a change of scenery.

Yes, he is. He's good, not great.
Nick K
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,865

Post#115 » by Nick K » Wed Sep 30, 2020 5:17 am

Neeva wrote:Gordon is a player on steep decline in value, I don’t see that changing without a change of scenery.

YES! He is. I like him but I wouldn't give much. Okogie, maybe Culver but the money won't match up.
Mattya
RealGM
And1: 6,282

Post#116 » by Mattya » Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:01 am

Would rather sign DJJr if free agency than trade the assets Magic fans are demanding for Gordon.
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,678

Post#117 » by minimus » Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:51 am

Nick K wrote:

YES! He is. I like him but I wouldn't give much. Okogie, maybe Culver but the money won't match up.

Fultz is a non-shooter, that's why I think a non-shooters Okogie/Culver have little value to ORL, while they have a lot of value as defenders for us. I think Nowell might fit a lot better in ORL.
SO_MONEY
Lead Assistant

Post#118 » by SO_MONEY » Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:57 pm

minimus wrote:
Nick K wrote:

Fultz is a non-shooter, that's why I think a non-shooters Okogie/Culver have little value to ORL, while they have a lot of value as defenders for us. I think Nowell might fit a lot better in ORL.

Not including Nowell in a Gordon deal, high hopes for him. #17 and JJ + future protected 2nd is as high as I go. They can also have Evans if they want...not that they would. It is up to them.
old school 34
Senior
And1: 240

Post#119 » by old school 34 » Thu Oct 1, 2020 1:46 am

Ducklett wrote:
SO_MONEY wrote:
Ducklett wrote:

For the record , I'm a MN fan...like AG's game and would be open to making a deal for him.

I see both arguments...Magic have done him no favors & there's plenty of questions about him as well just drive, etc?

But I do think, however most MN fans are going to be extremely upset if we make a deal for him...cause I think it will cost significantly more than what most would prefer to pay. Small ball 4s or big bodied wings (@ least on the defensive side) with that kind of athleticism...just won't come cheap....fool's gold trade--maybe? But the price will be significant imo?

I'm probably now leaning more towards being the 3rd team in helping facilitate & getting some marginal win.

Sent from my SM-G973U using RealGM mobile app
SO_MONEY
Lead Assistant

Post#120 » by SO_MONEY » Thu Oct 1, 2020 4:34 pm

old school 34 wrote:
Ducklett wrote:
SO_MONEY wrote:

For the record , I'm a MN fan...like AG's game and would be open to making a deal for him.

I see both arguments...Magic have done him no favors & there's plenty of questions about him as well just drive, etc?

But I do think, however most MN fans are going to be extremely upset if we make a deal for him...cause I think it will cost significantly more than what most would prefer to pay. Small ball 4s or big bodied wings (@ least on the defensive side) with that kind of athleticism...just won't come cheap....fool's gold trade--maybe? But the price will be significant imo?

I'm probably now leaning more towards being the 3rd team in helping facilitate & getting some marginal win.

Sent from my SM-G973U using RealGM mobile app

I strongly disagree. I don't think he has much value. Relatively speaking. He absolutely can get a pick just outside the lottery, but not much more than that. To me that is a pretty good return for a guy like him. And if you add an expiring to match and maybe a future second you are in the ballpark of what any team would offer. The question is if ORL trades him or not. I could see it either way.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves