ImageImageImage

Kemba Walker Thread

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

Triple7
RealGM
And1: 8,317

Re: Kemba Walker Thread 

Post#601 » by Triple7 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:02 am

AgentGreen wrote:I like Kemba. But the Pacers got the better deal with Brogdon.

I'd trade him for a good package if we get the oppertunity.

Damn! Imagine if we had Brogdon instead of Kemba!
We will continue to have problems with Kemba defensively. Teams will attack him constantly. I think we should get a good rim protector to offset that deficiency with Kemba.
Triple7
RealGM
And1: 8,317

Post#602 » by Triple7 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:05 am

Duke4life831 wrote:
Disinformation wrote:Can I just ask that our next PG, whenever/whoever, has some size? IT, Kyrie, Kemba. Small PGs have gotten old.

A pass first PG is more important in my opinion. A score first PG is no longer really needed with the improvements of Tatum and Brown. I think Kemba's skill set has kind of become redundant.

I agree. A pass first PG that can defend, and with a jumper. This team is composed of scorers, all wanting to shoot, with not enough playmaking.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,314

Post#603 » by Duke4life831 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:56 am

Triple7 wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:
Disinformation wrote:Can I just ask that our next PG, whenever/whoever, has some size? IT, Kyrie, Kemba. Small PGs have gotten old.

A pass first PG is more important in my opinion. A score first PG is no longer really needed with the improvements of Tatum and Brown. I think Kemba's skill set has kind of become redundant.

I agree. A pass first PG that can defend, and with a jumper. This team is composed of scorers, all wanting to shoot, with not enough playmaking.

This year's Rubio would is pretty much the perfect player. Excellent defender, arguably one of the best facilitators in the game, doesnt look for his shot but had a respectable year from 3 (36% on 3 attempts per game), and excellent FT shooter. Brogdon is another one that would be a great fit.

I think the ideal scenario is to flip Kemba for a good solid PG and a good athletic wing. I think you could get a good wing and a respectable PG that fits what you guys need for Kemba's 34 mil cap hit.

Again to be clear, this is not me bashing Kemba, this is more just with how much Tatum and Brown both advanced, a score first PG (which Kemba is) is no longer really needed and somewhat redundant. Just think that money could be better used for getting better fits.
ParticleMan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,689

Post#604 » by ParticleMan » Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:27 am

^^ that's spot on. a pass first defensive pg is what we need to continue tatum + brown's progression.

kemba for montrezl harrell (sign-n-trade) + pat beverley?
100proof
Starter
And1: 1,117

Post#605 » by 100proof » Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:36 am

Triple7 wrote:

We will continue to have problems with Kemba defensively. Teams will attack him constantly. I think we should get a good rim protector to offset that deficiency with Kemba.

I was begging for Brogdon at the time.
celticgreenie
Junior
And1: 269

Post#606 » by celticgreenie » Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:24 pm

Forget about Brogdon. Why not use the money from Kemba to go after Jimmy Buckets?
albas89
Junior
And1: 464

Post#607 » by albas89 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:37 pm

Kemba Walker + picks +fillers for Jrue Holiday + JJ Redick??

All NBA defense level PG to form a crazy switchable defensive lineup, plus the veteran 3pt sniper that we need off the bench. Pelicans get more picks and prospects to complete their rebuild and a veteran All-star to help them with their perimeter scoring. It makes too much sense imho...
GoCeltics123
RealGM
And1: 32,642

Post#608 » by GoCeltics123 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:34 pm

Triple7 wrote:

WHAT??????

Brogdon was hurt the ENTIRE year and sucked in the playoffs, and you said this??? Just unreal man.

This board is so hard on Kemba. It's absurd.

Edit: Btw if you watched his defense the second half of the Miami and Toronto (except Game 6) series, it was actually good! Hard to believe, but it's the truth.
darylbe
Rookie
And1: 554

Post#609 » by darylbe » Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:46 pm

Triple7 wrote:

The narrative is that kemba's knee wasn't right. Can he play better? Did the knee really interfere in post season? Can he play better with fully healed knee? Maybe.

But, that's about 70mil for 2 "big ainge free agents" that are pathetically injury prone. If given the opportunity, I'd ditch kw so fast... I think nyk is a good match for a trade. Probably won't happen

But outside a trade, we just gotta pretend a healthy kemba isn't as pathetic.
Disinformation
Starter
And1: 3,076

Post#610 » by Disinformation » Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:15 am

Duke4life831 wrote:
Triple7 wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:A pass first PG is more important in my opinion. A score first PG is no longer really needed with the improvements of Tatum and Brown. I think Kemba's skill set has kind of become redundant.

This year's Rubio would is pretty much the perfect player. Excellent defender, arguably one of the best facilitators in the game, doesnt look for his shot but had a respectable year from 3 (36% on 3 attempts per game), and excellent FT shooter. Brogdon is another one that would be a great fit.

I think the ideal scenario is to flip Kemba for a good solid PG and a good athletic wing. I think you could get a good wing and a respectable PG that fits what you guys need for Kemba's 34 mil cap hit.

Again to be clear, this is not me bashing Kemba, this is more just with how much Tatum and Brown both advanced, a score first PG (which Kemba is) is no longer really needed and somewhat redundant. Just think that money could be better used for getting better fits.

While I was the one asking for size (and in other threads saying I am ready to move on from Kemba), I agree with what you guys are saying, too. A pass-first PG would be huge for Tatum, Brown, and the team as a whole. Someone has to "run the show" on the court.
For example, there is no scenario where Marcus Smart should be taking a three 5 seconds into the shot clock. A passing PG would also help offset the potential loss of Hayward's play-making if he is traded.

And I also am not bashing Kemba. Full disclosure, I was against the signing since before it happened. But the dude is a great guy and a very good player. And I enjoyed what he brought to the team this year and how hard he competed. At this point, though, he's not the right fit for where the team needs to go to make the jump to the next level.

So yeah, give me a defensive, pass-first PG with size :wink: and I'll be happy.
Disinformation's Manifesto for the 2021 Offseason

It's a brave new world. No one knows what's going to happen, least of all me.
AgentGreen
Head Coach
And1: 3,469

Post#611 » by AgentGreen » Wed Sep 30, 2020 5:41 pm

GoCeltics123 wrote:
Triple7 wrote:

WHAT??????

Brogdon was hurt the ENTIRE year and sucked in the playoffs, and you said this??? Just unreal man.

Edit: Btw if you watched his defense the second half of the Miami and Toronto (except Game 6) series, it was actually good! Hard to believe, but it's the truth.

I think that you are missing the point. The point is salary and production.

It's exactly the same situation we had with Horford. Both are good players and perfect glue guys for a team. But not for that money. Kemba, like Horford, gets paid as a 1st option player on the team. But he's the 3rd option at the moment, not worth that amount of money. You can bring up arguments about Brogdon, but he's at the moment just as good as Kemba offensively and a better facilitator + defender.

Brogdon signed a 4-yr $85MM contract and Kemba signed a 4-yr $140.79MM contract! Pacers definitely got the better deal. If Kemba really has knee problems and he doesn't recover from it, then we'll have a huge problem salary wise. Like we had to deal with Hayward and his injuries, and Horford with his mediocre production.
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,875

Post#612 » by Bleeding Green » Wed Sep 30, 2020 5:50 pm

Brogdon is like an average starting point guard, though. Are we really so impressed by a 33% outside shooter now? Funny how when he takes on a larger role he doesn't get wide open looks all game playing alongside Giannis. He even played fewer games than Kemba Walker last year and also every year prior. Teams that sign these 20 million dollar deals are getting hosed. Sign high-end talent and then the cheap vet-min/MLE types. The mid-class of free agency is death. What could the Celtics do with the 12m salary difference? Save the owners some luxury tax?
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
GoCeltics123
RealGM
And1: 32,642

Post#613 » by GoCeltics123 » Wed Sep 30, 2020 5:54 pm

AgentGreen wrote:
GoCeltics123 wrote:
Triple7 wrote:

WHAT??????

It's exactly the same situation we had with Horford. Both are great players and perfect glue guys for a team. But not for that money. Kemba, like Horford, gets paid as a 1st option player on the team. But he's the 3rd option at the moment, not worth that amount of money. You can bring up arguments about Brogdon, but he's at the moment just as good as Kemba offensively and a better facilitator + defender.

Brogdon signed a 4-yr $85MM contract and Kemba signed a 4-yr $140.79MM contract! Pacers definitely got the better deal. If Kemba really has knee problems and he doesn't recover from it, then we'll have a huge problem salary wise. Like we had to deal with Hayward and his injuries, and Horford with his mediocre production.

No, I get what you're saying. But if you want to talk about better deals, let's not forget the Pacers gave the Bucks TWO firsts for Brogdon, along with the money. Also on the injury front, Brogdon also has major injury issues. Would you want to have given up all that for him? Would you have dumped firsts for Brogdon and paid him that much?

I'm just telling you Kemba is a significantly better player than Brogdon, which is why he makes a lot more money, and signing Brogdon would not have made us this good. We would not have made the ECF with Brogdon, that's a fact. Kemba Walker is not paid like a 1st option, he's paid like a 2nd option because that's what he was all season (until the playoffs).

Also...Kemba's knee is an issue, but never overstate how much he saved our locker room this year. And as I said above, it's not like Malcolm Brogdon is without his injury concerns.
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,875

Post#614 » by Bleeding Green » Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:01 pm

lmao they had to give picks up for Brogdon? This is like right out of the "How to win 45 games and lose in the first round every year" playbook.

Masterclass execution by Milwaukee, though. Draft Brogdon in the second round and get all his cheap years, then trade him for more picks. They're writing the playbook for how to win 65 games in the regular season and lose in the second round ever year. What crazy value they got from the 36th pick in the draft. Zero good players drafted after him, too.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
AgentGreen
Head Coach

Post#615 » by AgentGreen » Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:08 pm

Kemba shot 31% outside in the postseason, Brogdon kept consistent and shot in the 4 games against a good defense 37.5%, last year for the Bucks in the playoffs 37.8%. Plus, the 3 seasons in Milwaukee his career 3pt% is 40.8%, his career percentage is 38.5%. Kemba's career 3pt% is 36%. Brogdons career TS% is 57.2% and Kemba career TS% is 53.8%.

Brogdon would've been the perfect guy next to Brown and Tatum. The 4 games he played in the playoff he averaged in total 21.5 pts and 10.0 assists! Outside wasn't our biggest issue from the starting 5 it was ball movement. Lack of ball movement is the reason why that Heat zone killed us in the first two games.

Bucks probably regretting they let him go, with him they were a much better team and probably would've been even better this year.
AgentGreen
Head Coach

Post#616 » by AgentGreen » Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:18 pm

GoCeltics123 wrote:
AgentGreen wrote:
GoCeltics123 wrote:WHAT??????

It's exactly the same situation we had with Horford. Both are great players and perfect glue guys for a team. But not for that money. Kemba, like Horford, gets paid as a 1st option player on the team. But he's the 3rd option at the moment, not worth that amount of money. You can bring up arguments about Brogdon, but he's at the moment just as good as Kemba offensively and a better facilitator + defender.

No, I get what you're saying. But if you want to talk about better deals, let's not forget the Pacers gave the Bucks TWO firsts for Brogdon, along with the money. Also on the injury front, Brogdon also has major injury issues. Would you want to have given up all that for him? Would you have dumped firsts for Brogdon and paid him that much?

I'm just telling you Kemba is a significantly better player than Brogdon, which is why he makes a lot more money, and signing Brogdon would not have made us this good. We would not have made the ECF with Brogdon, that's a fact. Kemba Walker is not paid like a 1st option, he's paid like a 2nd option because that's what he was all season (until the playoffs).

Also...Kemba's knee is an issue, but never overstate how much he saved our locker room this year. And as I said above, it's not like Malcolm Brogdon is without his injury concerns.

Yes Brogdon was injured, but he is still 27 years old dont forget that. If he keeps getting injured, you might have a point but its just his first season with the Pacers. Plus if he keeps getting injured he's still a better moveable contract talent/potential wise. Kemba's contract isn't that easy to move, which team will take him for the next 3 years if they found out his knee is really done?

Kemba is the main reason why we had such a long series against the Raptors and the Heat exposed him even more. Brogdon performed much better against the Heat than Kemba did. Did you even see Indy play against the Heat? He had a solid playoff series against the Heat, but he hasn't teammates like Brown and Tatum. He would've complimented our team much better, especially defensively. Don't forget that Stevens makes players perform even better, especially good teamplayers like Brogdon.
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
And1: 87,011

Post#617 » by ConstableGeneva » Thu Oct 1, 2020 2:34 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
░N░0░0░D░S░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░
ConstableGeneva
RealGM

Post#618 » by ConstableGeneva » Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:10 pm

celtxman
Analyst
And1: 1,430

Post#619 » by celtxman » Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:38 am

It is hard not to be concerned about Kemba having knee problems after 4 months. That leaves us with he didnt have the impact we thought he would have or that he was still injured. So will another 4 months without surgery be good enough?
Brad Stevens on fans who want the Celtics to tank: "I don’t think they’ll like me all that much then."
ConstableGeneva
RealGM

Post#620 » by ConstableGeneva » Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:05 pm

Read on Twitter

Return to Boston Celtics