New coach

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,126

Re: New coach 

Post#41 » by MartinToVaught » Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:14 pm

NippySudz wrote:
MartinToVaught wrote:I've been saying for years that the Clippers should look to Europe for the next coach. Someone like Jasikevicius, Obradovic, Itoudis, Pablo Laso, etc. Europe has been producing incredible basketball talent for a while now and one of the biggest reasons why is the coaching/systems they get to develop with. I think it's silly to dismiss an entire continent full of coaches just because Blatt didn't do well in Cleveland.

It would be a bold move, I'm sure it's an unpopular opinion, but conventional coaching hires have rarely worked out for the Clippers, so we should try something different.

we're in win now mode. You think a european coach can win it all next year? Someone with no prior experience in the nba at any level? That's a bold ask. You might be right but its super bold. Also, if the front offices are shrugging off the hiring european talent, the players might. You need a guy that the locker room can respect and can manage personalities.

Nurse, Stevens and Spo are all a huge refutation of the "prior NBA experience" argument. I'd much rather have a supposedly "inexperienced" coach who brings something new to the table than another uninspiring retread who was fired from their previous jobs for a reason.

Don't forget, Pat played in Europe. He could vouch for some of those guys, just like he did for Milos when we signed him.
clipperlover
Rookie
And1: 956

Post#42 » by clipperlover » Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:30 pm

There are only a couple of people that would make me rather have Doc:
1. Dantoni
2. Gentry

Big NO to either of them.

I put my case in for Wes Unseld Jr and Adrian Griffin in another thread. Assistants that have worked under several different coaches that have put their time in.

I think Billups would be a breath of fresh air also. i don't care that he doesn't have formal experience because he knows the game and thinks like a coach vice learning to be a coach like so many assistants.

At least with Doc out, maybe we can get rid of Video Rex. Not sure what they guy brought to this team.
Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,638

Post#43 » by Quake Griffin » Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:41 pm

clipperlover wrote:There are only a couple of people that would make me rather have Doc:
1. Dantoni
2. Gentry

I put my case in for Wes Unseld Jr and Adrian Griffin in another thread. Assistants that have worked under several different coaches that have put their time in.

I think Billups would be a breath of fresh air also. i don't care that he doesn't have formal experience because he knows the game and thinks like a coach vice learning to be a coach like so many assistants.

At least with Doc out, maybe we can get rid of Video Rex. Not sure what they guy brought to this team.

Wes Unseld Jr. name sticks out to me. I like his resume and I like Mike Malone a lot.

What do you know about him?
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
clipperlover
Rookie

Post#44 » by clipperlover » Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:51 pm

Quake Griffin wrote:
clipperlover wrote:There are only a couple of people that would make me rather have Doc:
1. Dantoni
2. Gentry

Wes Unseld Jr. name sticks out to me. I like his resume and I like Mike Malone a lot.

What do you know about him?

Runs the Denver D. Been in the game a long time under many coaches (most not very good until Malone).
Wammy Giveaway
Starter
And1: 1,046

Post#45 » by Wammy Giveaway » Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:07 pm

clipperlover wrote:Runs the Denver D. Been in the game a long time under many coaches (most not very good until Malone).

Feels like a Doc Rivers move: going after a guy who defeated you, just so that you don't ever get defeated by this person again. They cannot let vengeance be the only reason a coach is hired.
NippySudz
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,460

Post#46 » by NippySudz » Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:51 pm

MartinToVaught wrote:
NippySudz wrote:
MartinToVaught wrote:I've been saying for years that the Clippers should look to Europe for the next coach. Someone like Jasikevicius, Obradovic, Itoudis, Pablo Laso, etc. Europe has been producing incredible basketball talent for a while now and one of the biggest reasons why is the coaching/systems they get to develop with. I think it's silly to dismiss an entire continent full of coaches just because Blatt didn't do well in Cleveland.

It would be a bold move, I'm sure it's an unpopular opinion, but conventional coaching hires have rarely worked out for the Clippers, so we should try something different.

we're in win now mode. You think a european coach can win it all next year? Someone with no prior experience in the nba at any level? That's a bold ask. You might be right but its super bold. Also, if the front offices are shrugging off the hiring european talent, the players might. You need a guy that the locker room can respect and can manage personalities.

Nurse, Stevens and Spo are all a huge refutation of the "prior NBA experience" argument. I'd much rather have a supposedly "inexperienced" coach who brings something new to the table than another uninspiring retread who was fired from their previous jobs for a reason.

Don't forget, Pat played in Europe. He could vouch for some of those guys, just like he did for Milos when we signed him.

Stevens is the only guy that doesn't fit that mold.

Nurse worked in the NBA for five years as an assistant coach. Spo worked for the heat for 17 years before he was a head coach.

What did Milos do in the NBA? Where is he now? Why didn't he come sooner?

Stevens didn't come to Celtics to win now. He came to cultivate young talent. You want to put a rookie head coach with vets with zero NBA experience to win a championship before kawhi opts out?

I don't know man..tough ask.

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using Tapatalk
NippySudz
Assistant Coach

Post#47 » by NippySudz » Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:53 pm

Delete
MartinToVaught
RealGM

Post#48 » by MartinToVaught » Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:17 pm

NippySudz wrote:Nurse worked in the NBA for five years as an assistant coach. Spo worked for the heat for 17 years before he was a head coach.

Neither of them had any NBA head coaching experience before they were hired. Those hires defied the conventional wisdom that giving someone different a chance is somehow riskier than hiring someone who has already failed before.

Doc misused him his first season by playing him in three-guard lineups with Lou and Austin (which marginalized what he could bring to the table on offense and amplified his poor defense), then gave up on him entirely and benched him his second season. Not really a fair judgement when we all know how Doc treats players who aren't his favorites.

You want to put a rookie head coach with vets with zero NBA experience to win a championship before kawhi opts out?

As opposed to who? Someone like D'Antoni or JVG who's already proven several times already that they can't "win now"? Ty Lue, who basically just watched the games while LeBron did all the coaching? No thanks, I'd much rather give someone new a chance.
NippySudz
Assistant Coach

Post#49 » by NippySudz » Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:20 pm

MartinToVaught wrote:
NippySudz wrote:Nurse worked in the NBA for five years as an assistant coach. Spo worked for the heat for 17 years before he was a head coach.

Neither of them had any NBA head coaching experience before they were hired. Those hires defied the conventional wisdom that giving someone different a chance is somehow riskier than hiring someone who has already failed before.

Doc misused him his first season by playing him in three-guard lineups with Lou and Austin (which marginalized what he could bring to the table on offense and amplified his poor defense), then gave up on him entirely and benched him his second season. Not really a fair judgement when we all know how Doc treats players who aren't his favorites.

You want to put a rookie head coach with vets with zero NBA experience to win a championship before kawhi opts out?

As opposed to who? Someone like D'Antoni or JVG who's already proven several times already that they can't "win now"? Ty Lue, who basically just watched the games while LeBron did all the coaching? No thanks, I'd much rather give someone new a chance.
False dichotomy.I never said chose those retreads I prefer billups imo

He'll have the players respect. Often times in the broadcasts he'll call out the adjustments doc needed to make but didn't make them. He's a champion player. I believe he's the guy

NickP
Rookie
And1: 863

Post#50 » by NickP » Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:27 pm

NippySudz wrote:
MartinToVaught wrote:

False dichotomy.I never said chose those retreads I prefer billups imo

He'll have the players respect. Often times in the broadcasts he'll call out the adjustments doc needed to make but didn't make them. He's a champion player. I believe he's the guy

I wholeheartedly support Billups. He was everything in a PG Doc couldn't be. He'll be the coach Doc couldn't be.
Billups has a very high BB IQ and will demand leadership out of Kawhi and PG. He'll demand players to give their 100% every game.
I also agree he'll be a breath of fresh air. If Nash can get a gig with zero coaching experience then so should Mr Big Shot.
MartinToVaught
RealGM

Post#51 » by MartinToVaught » Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:47 pm

NippySudz wrote:False dichotomy.I never said chose those retreads I prefer billups imo

I get where you're coming from, but Chauncey's greatness as a player might not necessarily translate to coaching. Just look at Jason Kidd - another champion point guard with high BBIQ, but as a coach, he was terrible.

I also don't necessarily think we need to hire a big-name former player to get the team's respect. Nick Nurse is the opposite of that and the win-now Raptors still had no problem buying into his system.
NippySudz
Assistant Coach

Post#52 » by NippySudz » Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:49 pm

MartinToVaught wrote:
NippySudz wrote:False dichotomy.I never said chose those retreads I prefer billups imo

I get where you're coming from, but Chauncey's greatness as a player might not necessarily translate to coaching. Just look at Jason Kidd - another champion point guard with high BBIQ, but as a coach, he was terrible.

I also don't necessarily think we need to hire a big-name former player to get the team's respect. Nick Nurse is the opposite of that and the win-now Raptors still had no problem buying into his system.

Again, Nick nurse was the assistant raptors coach for five years under Casey. Much easier to buy in when he's a familiar face Unless you want to hire one of doc's proteges? Wipe the whole thing and stick him with an associate head coach.

MartinToVaught
RealGM

Post#53 » by MartinToVaught » Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:18 pm

NippySudz wrote:
MartinToVaught wrote:

Again, Nick nurse was the assistant raptors coach for five years under Casey. Much easier to buy in when he's a familiar face Unless you want to hire one of doc's proteges? Wipe the whole thing and stick him with an associate head coach.

He wasn't a familiar face to Kawhi, Marc Gasol, or Danny Green, but they still bought in.
NippySudz
Assistant Coach

Post#54 » by NippySudz » Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:19 pm

MartinToVaught wrote:
NippySudz wrote:
MartinToVaught wrote:I get where you're coming from, but Chauncey's greatness as a player might not necessarily translate to coaching. Just look at Jason Kidd - another champion point guard with high BBIQ, but as a coach, he was terrible.

He wasn't a familiar face to Kawhi, Marc Gasol, or Danny Green, but they still bought in.
Doesn't take much convincing when literally the whole team knows and vouches for Nick nurse. Lol.

donemilio21
Veteran
And1: 761

Post#55 » by donemilio21 » Thu Oct 1, 2020 6:26 am

I think this Ty Lue talk is a distraction. Ballmer is willing to pay top dollar, so why wouldn't Frank and West go get an elite coach? If Calipari or Krzyzewski are willing, I think that maybe a big move.
Roscoe Sheed
RealGM
And1: 4,314

Post#56 » by Roscoe Sheed » Thu Oct 1, 2020 2:58 pm

MartinToVaught wrote:

I get your point, but I think Kidd has more of an ego than Chauncey
Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,638

Post#57 » by Quake Griffin » Thu Oct 1, 2020 4:46 pm

Coach K is 73 and I cannot see him ever leaving Duke.

But holy hell, do I think he'd have the respect of everybody in the locker room?
That would be interesting.
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
nickhx2
RealGM
And1: 6,258

Post#58 » by nickhx2 » Thu Oct 1, 2020 5:12 pm

clipperlover
Rookie

Post#59 » by clipperlover » Thu Oct 1, 2020 8:47 pm

MartinToVaught wrote:

Difference is that Kidd is a bonafide jack@$$.

Chauncey has been doing things like this: https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1737926-chauncey-billups-stays-frosty-partners-to-buy-30-wendys-fast-food-restaurants

https://www.franchising.com/articles/mr_big_shot_nba_star_chauncey_billups_scores_in_franchising.html

Billups partnering with a guy like Junior Bridgeman right after he retired shows that he just thinks differently than other former players.

From the franchising article above: "Though Billups admits "running a business is far more challenging than basketball," he sees the similarities--and value--in doing both right. "Team, processes, and systems are critical," he says. Because of that, he says, he's in a position to win with all of his business ventures."

Billups and Ballmer would likely be able to create a common long-term vision for the team. Billups probably wouldn't even demand top dollar. He may see it as another challenge and not a means to make money.
clipsfever
Junior
And1: 150

Post#60 » by clipsfever » Fri Oct 2, 2020 12:29 am

If Klaw is a strong "yes" on Hammon, I'm down... otherwise Lue, Atkinson or JVG

Nuclear "Hell No" to Kidd and D'Antoni

Return to Los Angeles Clippers