ImageImageImage

"You Gotta Look for a Charles Oakley or a Dennis Rodman" - Antoine Walker

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#1 » by arkuo » Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:54 pm

Seems like a need that has been resonating among NBA analysts and former players.

- Preferably a forward
- Preferably amenable to take a 1 + 1deal (2nd year team option)

We've seen previous discussions. Let's consolidate them here.

- Jae Crowder (FA)
- Paul Milsap (FA)
- Thad Young (via trade)
- Kelly Olynyk - known dirty player (PO -FA)
- Jae Crowder (FA)
- Derrick Favors (FA)
- Julius Randle (via trade - will cost a lot)
- Bobby Portis (TO - known dirty player)
- Tristan Thompson (FA)
- Steven Adams (via trade - questionable fit)
- Aron Baynes (FA)
- Alex Len (FA)
- Serge Ibaka (FA)
- Joe Ingles (via trade)
- Marcus Morris (FA - not impossible)
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Re: "You Gotta Look for a Charles Oakley or a Dennis Rodman" - Antoine Walker 

Post#2 » by arkuo » Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:02 pm

I actually like Bobby freakin Portis. Only 25 years old, career 36% shooter from 3, legit 6'11, and is crazy enough to punch even a teammate.

If you can fleece the Knicks again, and take Portis and have them add Kevin Knox to the deal, I'll take it. Send back Powell + Wright + #18
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 7,998

Post#3 » by HMFFL » Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:53 pm

I agree we need someone, but I'm disappointed that we current don't have a role played that was willing to confront Morris, so me that speaks volumes too.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,011

Post#4 » by Mr B » Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:45 pm

arkuo wrote:I actually like Bobby freakin Portis. Only 25 years old, career 36% shooter from 3, legit 6'11, and is crazy enough to punch even a teammate.

If you can fleece the Knicks again, and take Portis and have them add Kevin Knox to the deal, I'll take it. Send back Powell + Wright + #18

I would be all over a deal like that for the Mavs!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Heezzi
Pro Prospect
And1: 259

Post#5 » by Heezzi » Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:51 am

arkuo wrote:Seems like a need that has been resonating among NBA analysts and former players.

- Preferably a forward
- Preferably amenable to take a 1 + 1deal (2nd year team option)

We've seen previous discussions. Let's consolidate them here.

- Jae Crowder (FA)
- Paul Milsap (FA)
- Thad Young (via trade)
- Kelly Olynyk - known dirty player (PO -FA)
- Jae Crowder (FA)
- Derrick Favors (FA)
- Julius Randle (via trade - will cost a lot)
- Bobby Portis (TO - known dirty player)
- Tristan Thompson (FA)
- Steven Adams (via trade - questionable fit)
- Aron Baynes (FA)
- Alex Len (FA)
- Serge Ibaka (FA)
- Joe Ingles (via trade)
- Marcus Morris (FA - not impossible)

Maybe
No.
No.
No
Maybe.
No.
No.
No.
No.
No.
No.
No.
No.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,968

Post#6 » by zimpy27 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:15 am

Why not look at Harrell? He's a vocal, high-energy guy that works on the inside letting KP stay out on the perimeter.

S+T options are around but you may have to pay high to get a 1-year deal only if you want space in 2021.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
Mr B
RealGM

Post#7 » by Mr B » Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:40 pm

zimpy27 wrote:Why not look at Harrell? He's a vocal, high-energy guy that works on the inside letting KP stay out on the perimeter.

S+T options are around but you may have to pay high to get a 1-year deal only if you want space in 2021.

I would love Harrell on this team if the price is right. It would have to be through a trade. I would also love Jeremi Grant though. If the Mavs could find a way to pull off two separate sign and trades where they send out Powell, Wright, Brunson, that would be ideal for me.

zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Re: 

Post#8 » by zimpy27 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:32 pm

Mr B wrote:
zimpy27 wrote:Why not look at Harrell? He's a vocal, high-energy guy that works on the inside letting KP stay out on the perimeter.

I would love Harrell on this team if the price is right. It would have to be through a trade. I would also love Jeremi Grant though. If the Mavs could find a way to pull off two separate sign and trades where they send out Powell, Wright, Brunson, that would be ideal for me.

Harrell could certainly be had in an S+T for that package.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#9 » by Mr B » Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:21 pm

zimpy27 wrote:
Mr B wrote:

Powell and the Golden St pick (31 I think) for Harrell?

zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Re: 

Post#10 » by zimpy27 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:26 pm

Mr B wrote:
zimpy27 wrote:
Mr B wrote:I would love Harrell on this team if the price is right. It would have to be through a trade. I would also love Jeremi Grant though. If the Mavs could find a way to pull off two separate sign and trades where they send out Powell, Wright, Brunson, that would be ideal for me.

Powell and Brunson for Harrell I'd say. They would covet Brunson. Powell offers some C. No chance on getting Grant, Denver will wrap that up. Barton will be more achievable.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#11 » by Mr B » Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:36 pm

zimpy27 wrote:
Mr B wrote:
zimpy27 wrote:

Powell and Brunson for Harrell I'd say. They would covet Brunson. Powell offers some C. No chance on getting Grant, Denver will wrap that up. Barton will be more achievable.

I’d still do that trade even if they couldn’t get Grant. I would still try for a sign and trade for Grant or Crowder though. Wright and draft picks (and Maxi if necessary) being the pieces going out. They would need WCS to opt in.

Do you or anyone else think the Mavs could sign and trade Wright/draft picks for a resigned Grant or resigned Crowder?

zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Re: 

Post#12 » by zimpy27 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:42 pm

Mr B wrote:
zimpy27 wrote:
Mr B wrote:Powell and the Golden St pick (31 I think) for Harrell?

I’d still do that trade even if they couldn’t get Grant. I would still try for a sign and trade for Grant or Crowder though. Wright and draft picks (and Maxi if necessary) being the pieces going out. They would need WCS to opt in.

Do you or anyone else think the Mavs could sign and trade Wright/draft picks for a resigned Grant or resigned Crowder?

Unlikely. Harkless might be the best target.
reflex35
Rookie
And1: 672

Post#13 » by reflex35 » Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:42 pm

My vote goes for Bobby "Mirotic puncher" Portis.

Still a young guy...

Still can do damage with his fists and dirty plays and still has no head. Haha

Will be a great protector of Luka.
Darren
RealGM
And1: 824

Re: 

Post#14 » by Darren » Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:22 pm

Mr B wrote:

That's exactly what I am thinking. If the Mavs were to open up significant cap room, maybe it's better for now than next season. So something like Wright + Kleber to GSW for TE + next available 1st may entice me. I expect the Mavs to be forerunner at Grant and FVV. As Giannis and AD likely to stay put, the Mavs is better off moving on and build a team to beat LA / MIA / GSW, therefore, the Mavs must be able to matchup with these teams, Grant sounds just right against any of them. As Grant looking towards opting out, the Mavs has legitimate chance landing Jerami Grant. I think Grant is actually better than Aaron Gordon as a fit. Don't bother about overpaying. More likely than not, the Mavs would be able to find elite defender and combo guard with 1st or 2nd on cheap contract, securing a 4 who's able to matchup with those team may worth the investment. The Mavs need to overpay to pry FA away from current team. Maybe eventually, the Mavs could force a snt between Curry + Powell + filler + pick and Grant (20M) + filler. If Grant is able to guard 1-5 and hits more than 36% from 3P range, Grant is already better than Matrix. Instead of overpaying, I think people are undervaluing Jerami Grant.
SOUNDCHASER
Sixth Man
And1: 279

Post#15 » by SOUNDCHASER » Thu Oct 1, 2020 9:19 pm

If WCS stays we save the money it would take to replace him so you can then go after talented guys in free agency. I see WCS as a potential stud if he can rebound and defend well enough to allow KP to focus more on the other end.

Grant at SF would toughen us up but DFS is no slouch now that we have developed him to where he is hitting 3 pointers at almost the same rate as Grant.

Playing Grant like we did Matrix is the idea for sure. He is not as potent of a threat on offense but we need a defender.

Curry is almost at Jason Terry level with his shooting skills.

Luka is Kidd and then some.

Getting a guy to play Tyson would be neat but WCS is ok if he can up his game some. Our center rotation is looking good in terms of how the game is played now.

We do need a tougher SG to play Deshawn's part.

Grant is a bit of a dream to think he would want to leave because I bet Denver over pays him to keep him around.

Not sure I like the thought of overpaying for anyone in this free agency and I might rather pick a similar guy in the draft if one is still available when we pick. The 2nd rounder can probably get you a decent center to add to our depth and get us a tough guy that can bang.

I would go after a SF with 18 and a center at 31.
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man
And1: 424

Post#16 » by HairyGOATee » Sat Nov 7, 2020 5:50 am

Yeah, Montrezl would be cool.
ozwizard8
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,105

Post#17 » by ozwizard8 » Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:40 am

arkuo wrote:I actually like Bobby freakin Portis. Only 25 years old, career 36% shooter from 3, legit 6'11, and is crazy enough to punch even a teammate.

No, stay away from him. He is the definition of locker-room cancer. The guy is a proven loser to begin with.
Some stat-padding in tanking teams should not paint him any better than he actually is.
B.Portis would create a lot of issues as Doncic-KP would not be ok with his antics. They don't need to get in a punching fight but they'll find their way to coach/gm/Cuban to make sure he's gone.
Carlisle is a great coach but he is not that great at working with players with mental problems. Rondo experiment should have shown that. Portis wont make it in Dallas.

Dallas needs some upgrades and maybe one or two more forwards/center. Historically best offense does not need much more help. This team can play one big man who cannot shoot without losing much of the offensive flow. Just focus on the defensive side of the picture. A starter-level good defensive center and a wingman would solve most of the problems of this team.

1. Lakers/Clippers will be the main competitors of this team in the short-term. A.Davis-Lebron and a bunch of other forwards and centers are present in the Laker team.

KP is an elite rim protector but he is not able to take the load for the whole season or for a full playoff series. Even if Powell returns back healthy, he cannot protect the rim. He is getting pushed over easily and kinda undersized for a C. Marjanovic cannot play much either and this is not going to change. Team needs someone defend the rim/protect the paint and perhaps offer some defense against Lebron/AD type of guys. So Dallas needs a 2011 Tyson Chandler clone.

2. Team also lacks experience as well.
Ideally, you'd find yourself a 2016 Andre Igoudola or Jimmy Buckets who would offer great D and some offense when things get tight. If this is not available you can go for cheaper options perhaps.
Milsap, T.Young can offer some defense/rebounding and experience. Ibaka would be fine too. But I don't know if you can get then for short-term deals.

Sign one of Baynes/Ibaka/Milsap/Favors for a 1 year deal and that should for this year.
Additionally, you can trade D.Wright for T.Young or such too.

In the season maybe there'd be opportunity for Beal trade. If that's the case you can offer THJ+Powell+many picks? and hope for the best.

Team should not overreact this year. Just look for good deals to improve defense and position yourself to trade for a 3rd piece!
ozwizard8
Assistant Coach

Post#18 » by ozwizard8 » Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:41 am

The target year should be the 21 FA. It'd be a good year to see if KP is durable. If you rush to win now with 21-year-old Doncic, you can exhaust all of your assets that'd be more beneficial for the prime of Doncic. Let this team grow. Doncic-KP can make one more step. Who knows if Kleber-DFS-Seth-THJR-D.Wright gets better or not. I think Mavs should run with a few addition. If an opportunity rises (like KP) you can always take that one. Do Giannis ask for trade at the deadline? Go give all assets and future picks :)

For those guys, Mavs should not give more than 1-year contract imo.
- Jae Crowder (FA): He can be useful for any team in the rotation. Dallas doesn't have much cap space and its hard to argue that Crowder is better than Kleber or DFS.
Only if he's available for a bargain price and 1+1 team option.

- Paul Milsap (FA): He'll play a good amount of minutes and he'll be the starter. He's 35 and should cost more than MLE.

- Thad Young (via trade): I wanted him last year so much. I think he signed on a pretty reasonable contract. He has 2 year 27m deal and for the second year, only $6m is guaranteed. He wasn't great in CHI but for a 30year old guy who just signed contract, I don't think he had a great environment to put high effort. His Indiana days were pretty good. Carlisle can work with him easily.

- Kelly Olynyk - known dirty player (PO -FA): Does not solve any defensive issues. KP-Kleber can do whatever he does on offense better than him.

- Derrick Favors (FA): I still like him but his market should be really small now. He'd be good addition to have a body inside. Not great on p&r and guards though.

- Julius Randle (via trade - will cost a lot): Stay away. I don't think he'd cost a lot in terms of assets. He's a black hole on offense. He tries to spin his way with a tunnel vision. He sucks on defensive end. I would like to see Seth, Brunson, THJR and KP to use the ball if Doncic is resting. Seriously this team need no more offense.

- Bobby Portis (TO - known dirty player): Bad d, subpar offense. Locker room headache. Wont get well with Carlisle. Hard pass

- Tristan Thompson (FA): Similar to Favors he should command too much money but who knows. For MLE, he could be good addition.

- Steven Adams (via trade - questionable fit): Adams is overpaid for what he brings the floor. He's a better rebounder than your vet.min center and that's it. He's too slow to defend guards/forwards, p&r plays and most of the star centers. OKC had 2 years of first round exit with WB-PG-Melo-Jerami Grant and Adams. He is likeable guy so he didn't get much blame.

- Aron Baynes (FA): Would be a great pickup for the right price. Dont know his health but he has shown that he can be poor men's "2011 Tyson Chandler". I don't think he's that dirty but he is tough for sure. I saw him making corner 3s but with Doncic on the floor he doesn't even need that shot. He'l be spoon-fed on offense.

- Alex Len (FA): Vet min? Seriously, I doubt if he is better than WCS?

- Serge Ibaka (FA): Officially he's 30 but his decline at age 27 suggest that might not be true. He'd be great addition to team for sure. Not a great rim protector any more but he'll do those stuff on moderate level. Just dont sign him for a long contract.

- Joe Ingles (via trade): Good guy, poor fit. We have great (combo) guards to run plays and the Doncic. KP is elite iso scorer too. No need for another offensive help. On D, he is not better than Maxi-DFS.

- Marcus Morris (FA - not impossible): Carlisle and him would not work.
ozwizard8
Assistant Coach

Post#19 » by ozwizard8 » Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:52 am

reflex35 wrote:My vote goes for Bobby "Mirotic puncher" Portis.

Still a young guy...

The last time I checked, he wasn't protecting his teammate Mirotic

"Tough guy" thing only works if the REFS allow it.
D.Howard, R.Rondo were terrible for their teams for at least 5 years or so. His "tough" plays become offensive fouls, technical and flagrant fouls. They **** up their team's cohesion and rhythm multiple times. However, when they get to play with Lakers/Lebron they got under that whistle protection.
- I lost the count of Rondo's fouls that were not called and become a steal.
- D.Howard would get 3 fouls in 2 minutes like he did in his previous teams.

Mavs need tough players, not dirty players. If Portis-Olynk type of guys plays dirty, Mavs would lose the fans, media, and refs sympathy and it would cost more hard/dirty fouls on Doncic-KP.
I would not mind having Milsap, Crowder, A. Baynes, Adams type of guys in terms of being physical. But no, dirty players does not help if they're not playing with Lebron or similar type of stars. Doncic as a European might not get that type of superstar protection for his whole career.
Teffer10
Head Coach
And1: 847

Post#20 » by Teffer10 » Sun Nov 15, 2020 2:50 pm

ozwizard8 wrote:
reflex35 wrote:My vote goes for Bobby "Mirotic puncher" Portis.

Still a young guy...

The last time I checked, he wasn't protecting his teammate Mirotic

"Tough guy" thing only works if the REFS allow it.
D.Howard, R.Rondo were terrible for their teams for at least 5 years or so. His "tough" plays become offensive fouls, technical and flagrant fouls. They **** up their team's cohesion and rhythm multiple times. However, when they get to play with Lakers/Lebron they got under that whistle protection.
- I lost the count of Rondo's fouls that were not called and become a steal.
- D.Howard would get 3 fouls in 2 minutes like he did in his previous teams.

Mavs need tough players, not dirty players. If Portis-Olynk type of guys plays dirty, Mavs would lose the fans, media, and refs sympathy and it would cost more hard/dirty fouls on Doncic-KP.
I would not mind having Milsap, Crowder, A. Baynes, Adams type of guys in terms of being physical. But no, dirty players does not help if they're not playing with Lebron or similar type of stars. Doncic as a European might not get that type of superstar protection for his whole career.

What you are describing is "smart tough guys".
I wouldn't have a problem adding Portis, but you are correct, we need smart tough guys.
People seem to forget that our roster was full of tough guys (Stevenson, Chandler, Kidd, Butler, Cardinal) in 2011 and imo that tough mentality seemed to give us an edge in the POs.

Return to Dallas Mavericks