Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

playaloc916
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,290

Re: Doc out!!!!!!!!! 

Post#81 » by playaloc916 » Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:02 am

Clemenza wrote:We all saw it and it was the biggest headscratcher

Read on Twitter

I think even Trezz himself disagreed with Doc playing him so much... Letting the world see him getting cooked by Jokic and Boban and killing his market value... all the historically bad +/- numbers too...
TheNewEra
RealGM
And1: 10,409

Post#82 » by TheNewEra » Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:00 am

playaloc916 wrote:
Clemenza wrote:We all saw it and it was the biggest headscratcher

Read on Twitter

I think even Trezz himself disagreed with Doc playing him so much... Letting the world see him getting cooked by Jokic and Boban and killing his market value... all the historically bad +/- numbers too...

Trez did look frustrated with the situation
NippySudz
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,460

Post#83 » by NippySudz » Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:29 am

NickP wrote:
MartinToVaught wrote:
NippySudz wrote:I already posted one except above your post.

I know. My point is, there's seven years worth of this foolishness, so I'm sure more will be coming out.

Another fun fact from this Athletic piece: the "philosophical differences" that got Doc fired included his refusal to develop young talent and his favoritism for Trez over Zu. In other words, the exact two concerns that esqtvd has shouted down his entire time here. Turns out Ballmer was on Planet Zubac all along. :lol:

Lol. Read this Doc apologist article.
https://www.si.com/nba/2020/09/29/clippers-fire-doc-rivers-early-exit-playoffs

Its crazy how the whole NBA media is siding with doc.

Total BS. If it was budenholzer, they would be calling for his head! Brett Brown, they called for his head! Media needs to shut the eff up about Doc! Doc playing trezz literally cost us the trip to the WCF. Too boneheaded to make adjustments. I'm glad he's gone. If he goes to find success somewhere else, good for him. But for the clippers he was terrible! Terrible in the FO and terrible as a coach. I tried to give him a chance this season. I was a defender of his right until the playoffs.
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,128

Post#84 » by MartinToVaught » Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:09 pm

The media coddles Doc because he used to be a broadcaster. They consider him "one of their own."
Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,638

Post#85 » by Quake Griffin » Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:25 pm

MartinToVaught wrote:The media coddles Doc because he used to be a broadcaster. They consider him "one of their own."

He has a carefully crafted image as this "classy" guy too.

There's no real safe place to just launch an attack on him. You truly have to keep it at how bad his coaching is (or his GMing). So either the media isn't savvy at pointing out coaching flaws OR pointing out those flaws (overplaying Harrell) isn't gonna get the clicks and you need something juicier like he lost/ couldn't motivate the team anymore. There was discord in the locker room.

He plays his hands VERY VERY well.
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
MartinToVaught
RealGM

Post#86 » by MartinToVaught » Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:51 pm

Quake Griffin wrote:
MartinToVaught wrote:The media coddles Doc because he used to be a broadcaster. They consider him "one of their own."

He has a carefully crafted image as this "classy" guy too.

There's no real safe place to just launch an attack on him. You truly have to keep it at how bad his coaching is (or his GMing). So either the media isn't savvy at pointing out coaching flaws OR pointing out those flaws (overplaying Harrell) isn't gonna get the clicks and you need something juicier like he lost/ couldn't motivate the team anymore. There was discord in the locker room.

He plays his hands VERY VERY well.

His treatment of refs isn't very classy. Neither was his nepotism with Austin. Or the blatant favoritism he shows to certain players over others.

There's plenty to criticize Doc for. The media is just reluctant to do it because they consider him part of their fraternity. This is also why they keep pushing Mark Jackson and JVG for every open coaching job over more qualified candidates for the modern NBA.
clipperlover
Rookie
And1: 961

Post#87 » by clipperlover » Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:33 pm

MartinToVaught wrote:
Quake Griffin wrote:

This is also why they keep pushing Mark Jackson and JVG for every open coaching job over more qualified candidates for the modern NBA.

Of course the people that work with Mark Jackson and SVG want them to get hired into coaching jobs, then they wouldn't have to work with them any longer.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,137

Post#88 » by wco81 » Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:39 pm

Someone pointed out that Doc probably bought himself a couple of years because he went through the whole Sterling mess, being in the middle of the media spotlight then.

Then the Blake shooting in WI again put him on center stage but it didn't save him this time.
playaloc916
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,290

Post#89 » by playaloc916 » Thu Oct 1, 2020 1:01 am

I also find it interesting on some other threads, that some fans are saying they are a bit worried that Ballmer fired Doc, and that the owner shouldn't be too involved, ie Dolan and Ranadive...

While every fan has their own opinion about who should take the most blame for the series loss, I kind of feel that those who view the Doc firing as unfair, and felt Doc was screwed by Kawhi or Ballmer or whatever, those fans aren't the ones who were closely watching the team throughout the whole playoffs...

It's already been discussed in length, that certain matchups were very unfavorable to us, and that adjustments were not made as the series went on. The same formula was used over and over again, and it led to the same result. Sure, it doesn't help that the team was shooting poorly, but It doesn't take a sports analyst to understand that it's the coach's job to try to remedy that.

If it was a first time head coach making these mistakes, then sure, I can understand that. But for the second highest paid coach in the NBA, second after Pop and ahead of Carlisle, two elite coaches, that is just inexcusable. Just like in boxing, it's the coaches job to tell the boxer what to do if they are losing. They don't leave it up to the boxer to figure things out on their own. They don't just say, "hit the guy, and stop getting hit" (ie. we need to score and get stops, or whatever he said to the reporter).

That's why I find it funny when there are posters saying they are afraid Ballmer is getting too involved. In my opinion, I would be afraid if Ballmer didn't fire Doc... This shows me that he's not messing around, and he wants to win. Keeping Doc for another year would have been the easy thing to do, but by firing Doc, it shows he's serious, and I love that.
nickhx2
RealGM
And1: 6,258

Post#90 » by nickhx2 » Thu Oct 1, 2020 2:13 am

agree w/all points
MartinToVaught
RealGM

Post#91 » by MartinToVaught » Thu Oct 1, 2020 3:19 am

Really hope it's not true that Lue is "in strong position" to be the next coach. If they hire him, I'm back to where I was before the Doc firing: dreading next season with zero hope of winning anything when it matters.

Lue is the quintessential Clippers hire that never works for us, but we just keep trying it anyway.
Roscoe Sheed
RealGM
And1: 4,318

Post#92 » by Roscoe Sheed » Thu Oct 1, 2020 3:58 am

MartinToVaught wrote:Really hope it's not true that Lue is "in strong position" to be the next coach. If they hire him, I'm back to where I was before the Doc firing: dreading next season with zero hope of winning anything when it matters.

Lue is the quintessential Clippers hire that never works for us, but we just keep trying it anyway.

I'm not as pessimistic as you about Lue, but I'd rather have Cassell or Billups.
nickhx2
RealGM

Post#93 » by nickhx2 » Thu Oct 1, 2020 4:00 am

lue could be fine. cassell could be fine. i'd be concerned about a guy who has no previous coaching experience at all.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,137

Post#94 » by wco81 » Thu Oct 1, 2020 6:04 am

If Doc gets another job, how many of you guys would want to see him lose with the new team?

Or you don't care what he does, as long as he's off the Clippers?
nickhx2
RealGM

Post#95 » by nickhx2 » Thu Oct 1, 2020 6:22 am

i wouldn't care but there are certainly enough petty guys who would.
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,805

Post#96 » by esqtvd » Thu Oct 1, 2020 8:21 am

Report: Sixers expected to offer head-coaching job to Doc Rivers

https://www.inquirer.com/sixers/philadelphia-sixers-doc-rivers-ty-lue-mike-dantoni-20200930.html

Former Los Angeles Clippers coach Doc Rivers interviewed for the team’s vacant head-coaching job on Wednesday. Rivers has a serious chance of becoming the next coach.

Rivers talked with general manager Elton Brand during the day and met with the team’s ownership at night. Sources have said Rivers really wants this job, and the expectation was that he would blow away the Sixers ownership group with his infectious personality.

He reportedly watched Wednesday night’s Game 1 of the NBA Finals between the Miami Heat and Los Angeles Lakers with the Sixers. KRON4 News in California reported that a job offer is expected to follow soon.

Rivers, if hired, would be reunited with forward Tobias Harris.

Harris played parts of two seasons with the Clippers before being traded to the Sixers on Feb. 6, 2019. He averaged a career-best 20.9 points and shot a career-best 43.4% on three-pointers in 55 games during the 2018-19 season before the trade.

Harris thrives in the pick-and-roll sets Rivers likes to run. Meanwhile, sources said Rivers is excited about the opportunity to coach a preeminent center like Joel Embiid and loves big point guards like 6-foot-10 Ben Simmons.

Rivers checks a lot of boxes for the Sixers and, like Lue, comes with an NBA-championship pedigree.

The Pelicans also reached out to Rivers.
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
NickP
Rookie
And1: 864

Post#97 » by NickP » Thu Oct 1, 2020 2:43 pm

esqtvd wrote:Report: Sixers expected to offer head-coaching job to Doc Rivers

https://www.inquirer.com/sixers/philadelphia-sixers-doc-rivers-ty-lue-mike-dantoni-20200930.html

Former Los Angeles Clippers coach Doc Rivers interviewed for the team’s vacant head-coaching job on Wednesday. Rivers has a serious chance of becoming the next coach.

Rivers talked with general manager Elton Brand during the day and met with the team’s ownership at night. Sources have said Rivers really wants this job, and the expectation was that he would blow away the Sixers ownership group with his infectious personality.

He reportedly watched Wednesday night’s Game 1 of the NBA Finals between the Miami Heat and Los Angeles Lakers with the Sixers. KRON4 News in California reported that a job offer is expected to follow soon.

Harris played parts of two seasons with the Clippers before being traded to the Sixers on Feb. 6, 2019. He averaged a career-best 20.9 points and shot a career-best 43.4% on three-pointers in 55 games during the 2018-19 season before the trade.

Harris thrives in the pick-and-roll sets Rivers likes to run. Meanwhile, sources said Rivers is excited about the opportunity to coach a preeminent center like Joel Embiid and loves big point guards like 6-foot-10 Ben Simmons.

Rivers checks a lot of boxes for the Sixers and, like Lue, comes with an NBA-championship pedigree.

I'm sure he's chomping at the bits to play Toby on Boban, KP, Jokic and any 7 footer out there. :)
MartinToVaught
RealGM

Post#98 » by MartinToVaught » Thu Oct 1, 2020 3:25 pm

esqtvd wrote:Report: Sixers expected to offer head-coaching job to Doc Rivers

Looks like you have a new fanbase to troll.
MartinToVaught
RealGM

Post#99 » by MartinToVaught » Thu Oct 1, 2020 3:28 pm

wco81 wrote:If Doc gets another job, how many of you guys would want to see him lose with the new team?

Or you don't care what he does, as long as he's off the Clippers?

I'd only be pissed if Doc suddenly becomes a genius at adjustments and rotations on his next team while we hire some mediocre retread like Lue. That would be the most Clippers outcome imaginable, but fortunately, Doc is way too stubborn to ever change his ways.
SK21209
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,796

Post#100 » by SK21209 » Thu Oct 1, 2020 3:42 pm

Don’t know how I feel about Lue. He showed a willingness to shuffle lineups when the data indicated he should in Cleveland, but he doesn’t seem like the guy to implement a more fluid offensive system than we saw this year.

Return to Los Angeles Clippers