Adam Silver Expects 'Some Difficult Negotiations Ahead' With Players

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Adam Silver Expects 'Some Difficult Negotiations Ahead' With Players 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Thu Oct 1, 2020 12:22 pm

Adam Silver doesn't anticipate the NBA's upcoming round of labor negotiations with the players' union to put the start of the 20-21 season in jeopardy. 

"I don’t have any expectations of labor issues, I think, in the way you’re suggesting it, meaning that we won’t be able to resolve them," said Silver. "There’s no doubt there are issues on the table that need to be negotiated. I think it’s — we’ve managed to work through every other issue so far. I think we have a constructive relationship with them. We share all information. We look at our various business models together.

"So I think while no doubt there will be issues and there will be some difficult negotiations ahead, I fully expect we’ll work them out, as we always have."

The NBA will almost certainly have a reduced BRI for the 20-21 season, but they're widely expected to keep the cap artificially higher to not put a shock to the system.

"If we just went by the formula in the collective bargaining agreement, we’d have a huge reduction in the cap and tax, and not only would it create havoc in terms of planning purposes for our teams, but I think roughly a third of the league would be free agents, and so there would be enormous inequity there because there would be no cap room for those players to sign contracts," said Silver.

"So I think this is where the Players Association also has to work through issues among themselves and sort of an equitable distribution in terms of wherever — whatever the pool of salary is that we have to distribute next year."

Via RealGM Staff Report

DoctorDunc
Junior
And1: 45

Re: Adam Silver Expects 'Some Difficult Negotiations Ahead' With Players 

Post#2 » by DoctorDunc » Fri Oct 2, 2020 2:42 am

The NBA Players are sooo screwed. They have no idea what they have done to themselves compounded onto so many mistakes by the league on rules, replays, uncompetitive teams. It needs a full blown crisis and will get a full blown crisis. They will have to beg fans to return much less pay stupid prices for meaningless games while stars randomly “rest” and promote their own politics to paying customers.
Plutonashfan
Analyst
And1: 3,132

Post#3 » by Plutonashfan » Fri Oct 2, 2020 4:36 am

DoctorDunc wrote:The NBA Players are sooo screwed. They have no idea what they have done to themselves compounded onto so many mistakes by the league on rules, replays, uncompetitive teams. It needs a full blown crisis and will get a full blown crisis. They will have to beg fans to return much less pay stupid prices for meaningless games while stars randomly “rest” and promote their own politics to paying customers.

:crazy:
The Champ is HERE!!!
Lockdown504090
RealGM
And1: 12,090

Post#4 » by Lockdown504090 » Fri Oct 2, 2020 3:07 pm

They need to get more streaming.

Step 1: NBA needs to find a way to get the games in 4k streaming with no blackouts. They take in the money and cut out some of the local middlemen. advertisers will deal directly with the League, and they cant use those nonsense cable numbers as the platform of negotiations.
2.Do not let the cap fall this season. If they do, small market teams will break up their rosters and they will have to deal with the richer teams like the warriors eating the luxury tax and making lopsided trades that invlove taking on salary, creating another situation similar to how they got KD.

3. Increase G league select team pay, lower the age to 17 taking players out of their final year of high school after theyve built up a hype train behind them using the IG/ Overtime HS culture. have the student take courses online to graduate and follow them through their NBA journey in the G league. Use a guy like mikey williams. Grow the G league interest, and grow the NBA's income. Nobody is turning down a million dollars to play in the G league opposed to playing in the NCAA.

Return to Wiretap Discussion