LaMelo Ball

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

510TWSS
General Manager
And1: 2,863

Re: LaMelo Ball 

Post#161 » by 510TWSS » Fri May 1, 2020 4:03 pm

I'd rather invest in chicken stock rn than Lamelo stock.

but in seriousness, I don't see future star with him. Even if he does hit offensively, It doesn't seem likely that he'll have the chops or the willingness to dig in defensively but we'll see. Hope my team doesn't try that experiment.
MemphisX
Analyst
And1: 3,577

Post#162 » by MemphisX » Sun May 3, 2020 3:04 am

510TWSS wrote:I'd rather invest in chicken stock rn than Lamelo stock.

but in seriousness, I don't see future star with him. Even if he does hit offensively, It doesn't seem likely that he'll have the chops or the willingness to dig in defensively but we'll see. Hope my team doesn't try that experiment.

What does that even mean in regards to this draft? Who is the future star you are taking?
Check out my Memphis Grizzlies Youtube Channel --->>> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbB6yGykQEUwl9hqWYVp45g
510TWSS
General Manager
And1: 2,863

Post#163 » by 510TWSS » Sun May 3, 2020 8:09 pm

MemphisX wrote:

What does that even mean in regards to this draft? Who is the future star you are taking?

yeah maybe I was lazy in that statement.

IMO, I see LaMelo as likely to be an all offensive, no defensive contributor at the NBA level. I want to take a prospect that I believe has a good chance to contribute on both sides.

Trade down preferably but if no willing partners go with Edwards, Hayes, Okonkwo, Okoro and Wiseman.
kobyz
Rookie
And1: 270

Post#164 » by kobyz » Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:34 pm

How is Hedo Turkoglu as comparison for him?
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,091

Post#165 » by Dat2U » Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:41 am

Easily the best prospect in this draft. Unlike Lonzo, LaMelo can break defenders down and get all the way to the rim. Much more of playmaker and creator than Lonzo is. Will be threat to put up triple doubles regularly due to his rebounding & passing abilities.
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,570

Post#166 » by pcbothwel » Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:56 pm

Dat2U wrote:Easily the best prospect in this draft. Unlike Lonzo, LaMelo can break defenders down and get all the way to the rim. Much more of playmaker and creator than Lonzo is. Will be threat to put up triple doubles regularly due to his rebounding & passing abilities.

So a poor shooting, poor defending, stat padder with lack of self awareness... Sounds like Westbrook with worse defense. Not an easy player to build around.
Little Digger
Head Coach
And1: 2,710

Post#167 » by Little Digger » Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:47 pm

LaMelo’s going #1..I think the Wolves should go after a future unprotected Knicks 1st rounder + the 8th pick this year..
ILOVEIT—Good 'ol Bob. Two things that will survive the next apocalypse - Cockroaches and Fitz.
JHTruth
RealGM
And1: 2,511

Post#168 » by JHTruth » Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:10 pm

NO-KG-AI wrote:
Marcus wrote:I think you have to draft Melo with a plan in mind. You don't take Melo without being absolutely and without hesitation all in on what it means to have him as your PG. You need pieces, environment, blind faith, trust, and confidence in what you're putting together if you draft Melo. He's the biggest boom/bust in the class and must be catered to in order to maximize what he brings to the table.

That's lot to commit for a guy whose not a great scorer, not a great athlete, and not a great defender, and really only a great playmaker in theory. He's slick passer, but he's really not an engine for setting up others consistently like even Lonzo was at the same age. How many skinny, non-scoring, non-freak athletes are teams designing their entire future around?

Meh. His Assist to TO ratio is 2.7!!!! :D :D That's an insane level of playmaking. He is a much better shooter/scorer than his brother. He shoots FTs at 82%, his brother is still in the 60's. Plus he's is much more aggressive looking for his offense than his passive brother, which has really been a drag on Lonzo's career more than anything. Often too aggressive lol but I'd take a guy I have to reign in over a guy I have to push to be aggressive any day. He has shown flashes on D and his bro became a good defender.

LaMelo is the No. 1 pick. I don't think Minny will hesitate at all if they keep the pick..
Sulla
Ballboy
And1: 9

Post#169 » by Sulla » Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:14 pm

JHTruth wrote:He shoots FTs at 82%

He shot 72%.
Dat2U
RealGM

Post#170 » by Dat2U » Thu Oct 1, 2020 1:31 am

pcbothwel wrote:
Dat2U wrote:Easily the best prospect in this draft. Unlike Lonzo, LaMelo can break defenders down and get all the way to the rim. Much more of playmaker and creator than Lonzo is. Will be threat to put up triple doubles regularly due to his rebounding & passing abilities.

So a poor shooting, poor defending, stat padder with lack of self awareness... Sounds like Westbrook with worse defense. Not an easy player to build around.

He's 6-7/6-8 with long arms and good athleticism and a high IQ. Most PGs are initially bad defenders but his athletic traits/international experience means his transition to defending NBA players shouldn't be as steep as it is for many guards.

I wouldnt be writing him off a some terrible defender.

And equating someone the rebounds and passes extremely well to being a stat padder seems really negative. I'm not a fan of his father's antics or his brother's game... Was very mixed on Lonzo coming out but LaMelo is a different tier than Lonzo. Naturally more talented, more skilled, bigger and maybe even a little quicker.
Dat2U
RealGM

Post#171 » by Dat2U » Thu Oct 1, 2020 1:35 am

510TWSS wrote:
MemphisX wrote:

yeah maybe I was lazy in that statement.

IMO, I see LaMelo as likely to be an all offensive, no defensive contributor at the NBA level. I want to take a prospect that I believe has a good chance to contribute on both sides.

Trade down preferably but if no willing partners go with Edwards, Hayes, Okonkwo, Okoro and Wiseman.

Melo even if he tries just a little on D will be a solid defender. Yall all are underestimating the SIGNIFICANT benefits of being a long armed 6-8 PG.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,033
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#172 » by NO-KG-AI » Thu Oct 1, 2020 8:06 am

Melo won’t show up and get measured, because he’s not close to 6’8, but he’ll keep that listing. He’s a pretty mediocre athlete given how weak and scrawny he is. It’s honestly crazy to me that people think he’s 3.5 inches taller than Lonzo

He has good handles and passing, but he’s not a transcendent playmaker at all, and doesn’t have the scoring ability to make up for it... but he thinks he does.

He really is Lonzo without any of the good habits.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
drosereturn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,495

Post#173 » by drosereturn » Thu Oct 1, 2020 9:28 am

NO-KG-AI wrote:Melo won’t show up and get measured, because he’s not close to 6’8, but he’ll keep that listing. He’s a pretty mediocre athlete given how weak and scrawny he is. It’s honestly crazy to me that people think he’s 3.5 inches taller than Lonzo

He has good handles and passing, but he’s not a transcendent playmaker at all, and doesn’t have the scoring ability to make up for it... but he thinks he does.

He really is Lonzo without any of the good habits.

If he is legit 6-8, he should be the number 1 pick with Luka like guard skill abilities. He can play up to 4 positions if he bulks up.
Lamelo will be a future superstar Bull. Book it. Lavar for president!
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,033
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#174 » by NO-KG-AI » Thu Oct 1, 2020 10:16 am

He doesn’t have anything like Luka’s skills.

Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
kobyz
Rookie
And1: 270

Post#175 » by kobyz » Thu Oct 1, 2020 11:47 am

Could he be a taller Jamal Murray with more passing?
Jcool0
RealGM
And1: 7,786

Post#176 » by Jcool0 » Thu Oct 1, 2020 3:14 pm

kobyz wrote:Could he be a taller Jamal Murray with more passing?

Nope. He will never be able to score like Murray.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,871

Post#177 » by BlazersBroncos » Thu Oct 1, 2020 3:25 pm

Yep. Murray is better at all 3 levels at scoring. Better 3PT shooter, MUCH better pull up mid ranged shooter, better finisher.

LaMelo is a taller White Chocolate.
JohnnyKILLroy
RealGM
And1: 4,329

Post#178 » by JohnnyKILLroy » Thu Oct 1, 2020 5:05 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:

Yep. Murray is better at all 3 levels at scoring. Better 3PT shooter, MUCH better pull up mid ranged shooter, better finisher.

LaMelo is a taller White Chocolate.

Messed up. What did White Chocolate ever do to you?
What is happiness? It's a moment before you need more happiness.” — Don Draper
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,871

Post#179 » by BlazersBroncos » Thu Oct 1, 2020 7:30 pm

I mean, they play very similar games. Especially when looking at early career Jason Williams.

Flashy passes, volume 3PT shooters despite bad percentages, poor defenders, poor mid range game, decent finishers, tons of TO's, worthless if the ball wasnt in his hand, etc.

Williams did a Lonzo type transition around the time he went to Miami and became a much better defender, much smarter with shot selection, etc. But in the early days he was all flash, ball dominant, low %'s and low impact on winning.

I think it will take 2-3 seasons before LaMelo gets his FG% into the 42% range or so.
JHTruth
RealGM
And1: 2,511

Post#180 » by JHTruth » Thu Oct 1, 2020 11:43 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:

I mean, they play very similar games. Especially when looking at early career Jason Williams.

Flashy passes, volume 3PT shooters despite bad percentages, poor defenders, poor mid range game, decent finishers, tons of TO's, worthless if the ball wasnt in his hand, etc.

Williams did a Lonzo type transition around the time he went to Miami and became a much better defender, much smarter with shot selection, etc. But in the early days he was all flash, ball dominant, low %'s and low impact on winning.

I think it will take 2-3 seasons before LaMelo gets his FG% into the 42% range or so.

Meh. LaMelo doesn't have "tons of turnovers". His has an elite elite Assist -to - TO ratio of 2.7. I think you have to put players always in context. LaMelo was THE reason anyone cared about the NBL. He basically had to put it up as he was the only good player on the team and was the main attraction.

How he will look when surrounded by NBA talent is anyone's guess. But 72% FT bodes moderately well for his shooting and he showed solid D flashed when locked-in.

He's a much much better prospect than White Chocolate ever was...

Return to NBA Draft