ImageImageImage

Let's talk Robert Williams

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

ConstableGeneva
RealGM
And1: 87,011

Re: Let's talk Robert Williams 

Post#501 » by ConstableGeneva » Thu Oct 1, 2020 2:45 pm

Read on Twitter
░N░0░0░D░S░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░
greenroom31
General Manager
And1: 11,410

Post#502 » by greenroom31 » Thu Oct 1, 2020 3:05 pm

ConstableGeneva wrote:
Read on Twitter

Sort of a backhanded compliment there hahaha

Basically implying that Rob is incapable of focusing on basketball in the real world, and this bubble experience forced him to do so.
JHTruth
RealGM
And1: 2,511

Post#503 » by JHTruth » Thu Oct 1, 2020 3:09 pm

greenroom31 wrote:
ConstableGeneva wrote:
Read on Twitter

Basically implying that Rob is incapable of focusing on basketball in the real world, and this bubble experience forced him to do so.

I think Brad really resents that Theis was utterly exposed this playoffs and Danny has to dance around those feelings. Everyone can see Rob is much better than Theis. But it drives Brad crazy I think because Theis is one of his pets...
ConstableGeneva
RealGM

Post#504 » by ConstableGeneva » Thu Oct 1, 2020 3:14 pm

It appears the immaturity and work ethic concerns pre-draft attached to Boo-Butt are still there. Williams is lucky he landed with Boston instead of a team like Sacramento or he'd follow the footsteps of Whiteside (who played a couple of years abroad before becoming Miami's reclamation project). He has so much potential!
JHTruth
RealGM

Post#505 » by JHTruth » Thu Oct 1, 2020 3:37 pm

ConstableGeneva wrote:It appears the immaturity and work ethic concerns pre-draft attached to Boo-Butt are still there. Williams is lucky he landed with Boston instead of a team like Sacramento or he'd follow the footsteps of Whiteside (who played a couple of years abroad before becoming Miami's reclamation project). He has so much potential!

I think the "work ethic" concerns are just nonsense. You don't improve as rapidly as he has without working hard.

I think it's more he gets easily distracted. But I guess I don't blame him. He knows no matter how well he plays Theis is always going to get 35 mins a night. I would probably check out too.

Rob is the classic case of a guy who needs a bigger role languishing behind vets. Riley saw that issue with Bam and made moves (he traded away Whiteside). We'll see what Ainge does. I think he's going to make big moves to get guys like Rob, Romeo et all more burn. That's why said "There's a lot about our team we don't know"...
captain green
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,664

Post#506 » by captain green » Thu Oct 1, 2020 5:48 pm

Learn where to be that's it, also you can't play him 30 minutes. Unfortunately he will be a 15 minute player for about 46 games a year. And I'd be happy with that because he has even made it to 30 games or 13 mpg. And if dude checks out because someone is getting playing time then I don't want that guy on my team. I don't believe that to be any thing but a hot take from a board member but even if remotely true that's an issue. Dude fell in draft now we know why I still like the gamble but give me half a season then we can reassess . But for now looking like a partial player that physically can't be relied on nor knows where to be on the court.
Brown's #1 fan on this forum.
JHTruth
RealGM

Post#507 » by JHTruth » Thu Oct 1, 2020 5:54 pm

captain green wrote:Learn where to be that's it, also you can't play him 30 minutes. Unfortunately he will be a 15 minute player for about 46 games a year. And I'd be happy with that because he has even made it to 30 games or 13 mpg. And if dude checks out because someone is getting playing time then I don't want that guy on my team. I don't believe that to be any thing but a hot take from a board member but even if remotely true that's an issue. Dude fell in draft now we know why I still like the gamble but give me half a season then we can reassess . But for now looking like a partial player that physically can't be relied on nor knows where to be on the court.

He was equal on D to Theis all postseason. He defended the PnR better than Theis vs Miami. He's a better player than Theis RIGHT NOW. TODAY.
captain green
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,664

Post#508 » by captain green » Thu Oct 1, 2020 6:38 pm

JHTruth wrote:
captain green wrote:Learn where to be that's it, also you can't play him 30 minutes. Unfortunately he will be a 15 minute player for about 46 games a year. And I'd be happy with that because he has even made it to 30 games or 13 mpg. And if dude checks out because someone is getting playing time then I don't want that guy on my team. I don't believe that to be any thing but a hot take from a board member but even if remotely true that's an issue. Dude fell in draft now we know why I still like the gamble but give me half a season then we can reassess . But for now looking like a partial player that physically can't be relied on nor knows where to be on the court.

He was equal on D to Theis all postseason. He defended the PnR better than Theis vs Miami. He's a better player than Theis RIGHT NOW. TODAY.

Uh nope until he figures out how to stay on the court without being out of place and learns to screen half as good as thies, hit an occasional 3 play 5 games in a row and also he played 27 total minutes vs the heat? I like him but he has along way to go before he is reliable 2nd stringer. Let alone taking thies starting job. Now listen though do I want him to beat out thies hell yes I do but now nope
Brown's #1 fan on this forum.
BostonCouchGM
Head Coach
And1: 4,857

Post#509 » by BostonCouchGM » Thu Oct 1, 2020 6:55 pm

Danny loves 6'9" centers who can't shoot. This goes back for years. The problem with Robert Williams, which predates Danny drafting him, is that he's a knucklehead. You can almost never fix that. As tantalizing as his length and elite athleticism is, he can't grasp team defense. It was a dumb pick then and still is. Some dumb Celtic''s reporters fell in love with him and told you all he was a lottery talent had he come out the previous draft and you all believed them. Then when he "fell" you all rejoiced because you actually trust Danny despite his terrible drafting record. Meanwhile, Danny passed on a legit 7 footer who despite the **** show that are the Knicks, has proven he can be a starting center in this league. It's just one of a dozen bad choices Danny has made on draft night. Danny's hubris might keep Williams on the roster for far longer than he deserves. And that whole time most of you will claim he's some superstar in the making lol.
playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 18,141

Post#510 » by playa-hater » Thu Oct 1, 2020 7:18 pm

I like R Williams, haven't given up yet, but I was all over Danny drafting Mitchell Robinson, who in my eyes does all the things RW does at a bigger better level..

Damn Danny F'd that one up as well.
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS
JHTruth
RealGM

Post#511 » by JHTruth » Thu Oct 1, 2020 7:31 pm

BostonCouchGM wrote:Danny loves 6'9" centers who can't shoot. This goes back for years. The problem with Robert Williams, which predates Danny drafting him, is that he's a knucklehead. You can almost never fix that. As tantalizing as his length and elite athleticism is, he can't grasp team defense. It was a dumb pick then and still is. Some dumb Celtic''s reporters fell in love with him and told you all he was a lottery talent had he come out the previous draft and you all believed them. Then when he "fell" you all rejoiced because you actually trust Danny despite his terrible drafting record. Meanwhile, Danny passed on a legit 7 footer who despite the **** show that are the Knicks, has proven he can be a starting center in this league. It's just one of a dozen bad choices Danny has made on draft night. Danny's hubris might keep Williams on the roster for far longer than he deserves. And that whole time most of you will claim he's some superstar in the making lol.

I guess I don't understand the "knucklehead" thing.

2019-2020 (Including playoffs)

Mitch Robinson
OffRAPTOR - 1.3
DefRAPTOR - 1.7
TotRAPTOR - 3.0

Rob Williams
OffRAPTOR - .8
DefRAPTOR - 2.3
TotRAPTOR - 3.1

Rob gives you nearly identical impact (with superior D impact) as MitchRob.

It literally is a matter of minutes as Rob plays for a Conference Finalist while Mitch plays for a bottom-feeder..
Roland2000
Sophomore
And1: 359

Post#512 » by Roland2000 » Thu Oct 1, 2020 7:34 pm

He needs consistant and plentiful playing time. And, yes, having not much else to do but focus on basketball in the bubble was probably the best thing that could happen for him.

I'd have him start next season. Let him play. Make mistakes and learn. He's is just too athletically gifted. I believe in the Time Lord.
JHTruth
RealGM

Post#513 » by JHTruth » Thu Oct 1, 2020 7:37 pm

JHTruth wrote:
BostonCouchGM wrote:Danny loves 6'9" centers who can't shoot. This goes back for years. The problem with Robert Williams, which predates Danny drafting him, is that he's a knucklehead. You can almost never fix that. As tantalizing as his length and elite athleticism is, he can't grasp team defense. It was a dumb pick then and still is. Some dumb Celtic''s reporters fell in love with him and told you all he was a lottery talent had he come out the previous draft and you all believed them. Then when he "fell" you all rejoiced because you actually trust Danny despite his terrible drafting record. Meanwhile, Danny passed on a legit 7 footer who despite the **** show that are the Knicks, has proven he can be a starting center in this league. It's just one of a dozen bad choices Danny has made on draft night. Danny's hubris might keep Williams on the roster for far longer than he deserves. And that whole time most of you will claim he's some superstar in the making lol.

Mitch Robinson
OffRAPTOR - 1.3
DefRAPTOR - 1.7
TotRAPTOR - 3.0

Rob Williams
OffRAPTOR - .8
DefRAPTOR - 2.3
TotRAPTOR - 3.1

It literally is a matter of minutes as Rob plays for a Conference Finalist while Mitch plays for a bottom-feeder..

For context, Rob Williams would have been the best player on the Knicks in 2019-2020
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,875

Post#514 » by Bleeding Green » Thu Oct 1, 2020 7:39 pm

You don't think if Robinson and Williams switched teams that Rob Williams would start in New York? I'm sure everyone was clamoring for Mitch in the draft when he didn't even play basketball for a year after just bailing on WKU and then bailing on the draft combine the day of. The ability to be angry at the 27th pick in the draft—despite there being like three or four good players drafted after—is amazing. I applaud you for it. Who drafted after Williams would even be getting minutes on this Celtics team? Gary Trent Jr and Mitch Robinson? There are literally zero players drafted after, who play on good team, who you should want over Williams in hindsight (besides Trent perhaps). But you'd have panned Trent too because he sucked his rookie year, so who knows.

They're basically the same player except one is taller and the other has a longer wingspan. One gets to play a lot of minutes on a really bad team, the other gets to play a few minutes on a really good team. One can pass, one can't. Both preternatural shotblockers and efficient scorers without having to run plays for them. Both look amazing and if you would have picked Robinson over WIlliams two years ago, kudos to you. He's been healthier, been able to play more minutes, and has had the better career so far. They're basically the two best young centers on a per-minute basis in the entire NBA, though, so if you're angry at the selection, I expect you are impossible to please.

lmao to be mad at Robert Williams' height as if that has any bearing on his play on the court. He has a 7'6" wingspan and can jump over people. His failing will not be his height. But yeah, he hates non-shooting bigs, so he should have drafted Mitch Robinson who is a non-shooting big.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 18,141

Post#515 » by playa-hater » Fri Oct 2, 2020 12:19 am

JHTruth wrote:

Mitch Robinson
OffRAPTOR - 1.3
DefRAPTOR - 1.7
TotRAPTOR - 3.0

Rob Williams
OffRAPTOR - .8
DefRAPTOR - 2.3
TotRAPTOR - 3.1

I don't know if stats analytics can be measured equally when the teammates and coaching can vary the stats easily. especially with small samples sizes of both players. Either way they seem exactly the same with my eye test but one's much bigger size gives him the edge IMO.

But it is too close to call and certainly not enough evidence to say either with certainty.
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS
jfs1000d
RealGM
And1: 13,963

Post#516 » by jfs1000d » Fri Oct 2, 2020 12:22 am

Williams he to be positioned better. He needs better reaction, rotation and not to jump out of the gym or get himself in poor rebounding position.

The flaw in his stats is when he sucks he gets take Out quick. He only plays when he plays well and I. Short bursts.

Same issue happens with Kanter. Right now Williams is a weapon, but is situational until he gets better knowledge of the game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ConstableGeneva
RealGM

Post#517 » by ConstableGeneva » Fri Oct 2, 2020 1:40 pm

Read on Twitter

It could be his birthday or his average for steals & blocks per game next season. Who knows?
JHTruth
RealGM

Post#518 » by JHTruth » Fri Oct 2, 2020 2:18 pm

ConstableGeneva wrote:
Read on Twitter

It could be his birthday or his average for steals & blocks per game next season. Who knows?

It's when the Celtics sign him to a max extension!! :lol: :lol:

It's his birthday.
Celticsfromda6
Ballboy
And1: 14

Post#519 » by Celticsfromda6 » Fri Oct 2, 2020 4:00 pm

JHTruth wrote:
greenroom31 wrote:
ConstableGeneva wrote:
Read on Twitter

I think Brad really resents that Theis was utterly exposed this playoffs and Danny has to dance around those feelings. Everyone can see Rob is much better than Theis. But it drives Brad crazy I think because Theis is one of his pets...

Exactly, ego at it finest, instead of focusing on winning games. Brad never ever gives any kind of leeway to Robert Williams, I feel like Brad is just waiting for the kid to make any kind of mistake so he can take him off the game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kalela
RealGM
And1: 11,417

Post#520 » by Kalela » Fri Oct 2, 2020 4:47 pm

JHTruth wrote:He was equal on D to Theis all postseason. He defended the PnR better than Theis vs Miami. He's a better player than Theis RIGHT NOW. TODAY.

I agree. In the Miami series he was better than Theis every time he played. His defensive lapses will be there for the foreseeable future but they were not big enough reason to yank him out everytime he made a minor mistake.
Fire Mazzulla

Return to Boston Celtics