PC Board OT Thread Take 4 [No Politics]

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

E-Balla
RealGM
And1: 24,403
Location: The Poster Formerly Known As The Gotham City Pantalones

Re: PC Board OT Thread Take 4 [No Politics] 

Post#721 » by E-Balla » Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:28 am

I'll keep this as vague as possible for the new rules but tonight on ABC was a cluster **** like expected with one unexpected example of an actual good, hard, question that went left more than I expected it to. Never change America. :lol:
eminence
RealGM
And1: 10,691

Post#722 » by eminence » Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:45 am

E-Balla wrote:I'll keep this as vague as possible for the new rules but tonight on ABC was a cluster **** like expected with one unexpected example of an actual good, hard, question that went left more than I expected it to. Never change America. :lol:

I didn't watch but am planning on reading through the transcript tomorrow. What moment stood out to you?

And boo the new rules.
I bought a boat.
Jordan Syndrome
Sixth Man
And1: 1,425

Post#723 » by Jordan Syndrome » Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:57 am

eminence wrote:
E-Balla wrote:I'll keep this as vague as possible for the new rules but tonight on ABC was a cluster **** like expected with one unexpected example of an actual good, hard, question that went left more than I expected it to. Never change America. :lol:

I didn't watch but am planning on reading through the transcript tomorrow. What moment stood out to you?

And boo the new rules.

Donald Trumps only moment of silence was when he was asked to condemn white supremacy. Wait, that doesn't stand out, that was expected.

They definitely need to mute the Mic of the person who isn't speaking.
E-Balla
RealGM

Post#724 » by E-Balla » Wed Sep 30, 2020 5:04 am

Jordan Syndrome wrote:
eminence wrote:

And boo the new rules.

Donald Trumps only moment of silence was when he was asked to condemn white supremacy. Wait, that doesn't stand out, that was expected.

They definitely need to mute the Mic of the person who isn't speaking.

Umm... That wasn't a moment of silence. It was the president on national television telling armed right wing militias to stand by, and I knew anyone that saw it would know what moment I meant which is part of the reason I was so vague. That's why I said it went left I expected a dodge, not what we got. :lol:
eminence
RealGM
And1: 10,691

Post#725 » by eminence » Wed Sep 30, 2020 5:09 am

Sounds like it's gonna be a depressing read :(
I bought a boat.
MyUniBroDavis
General Manager
And1: 4,856

Post#726 » by MyUniBroDavis » Wed Sep 30, 2020 5:32 am

eminence wrote:Sounds like it's gonna be a depressing read :(

Oh no the debate was hilarious lmfao
iggymcfrack wrote: I have Bird #19 and Kobe #20 on my all-time list and both guys will probably get passed by Jokic by the end of this season.

^^^^ posted January 8 2023 :banghead: :banghead:
E-Balla
RealGM

Post#727 » by E-Balla » Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:00 am

Imma quote y'all in another thread on the Knicks board real quick, mainly because it's a response to UniBro but with Eminence wanting to get more info I also want to include him in my response because again I don't wanna derail with this new rule and get too into detail here.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,515

Post#728 » by Dr Positivity » Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:20 am

I think people should stick to no politics rule
Jaivl
Head Coach
And1: 6,482

Post#729 » by Jaivl » Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:15 pm

Everything is politics
This place is a cesspool of mindless ineptitude, mental decrepitude, and intellectual lassitude. I refuse to be sucked any deeper into this whirlpool of groupthink sewage. My opinions have been expressed. I'm going to go take a shower.
E-Balla
RealGM

Post#730 » by E-Balla » Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:59 pm

Jaivl wrote:Everything is politics

ESPECIALLY a no politics rule. It's just which politics you support, for example look at who supports the rule and it makes sense why.
ardee
RealGM
And1: 5,229

Post#731 » by ardee » Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:52 pm

Are the mods going to take action against the people breaking the no politics rule here?
E-Balla
RealGM

Post#732 » by E-Balla » Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:00 pm

Man y'all really need to get rid of that rule right now because there's a lot that really needs to be said and honestly how important is a false notion of civility at this point? Like really what is this? Why? A few actual fascists got their feelings hurt and we're coddling them?
Jordan Syndrome
Sixth Man
And1: 1,425

Post#733 » by Jordan Syndrome » Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:01 pm

E-Balla wrote:Man y'all really need to get rid of that rule right now because there's a lot that really needs to be said and honestly how important is a false notion of civility at this point? Like really what is this? Why? A few actual fascists got their feelings hurt and we're coddling them?

Appeasing to the proud boys.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,515

Post#734 » by Dr Positivity » Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:23 pm

E-Balla wrote:Man y'all really need to get rid of that rule right now because there's a lot that really needs to be said and honestly how important is a false notion of civility at this point? Like really what is this? Why? A few actual fascists got their feelings hurt and we're coddling them?

You have an entire Current Affairs board to do this on
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,666

Post#735 » by penbeast0 » Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:17 pm

The rule was put in place because certain people in this thread were making overtly nasty posts that were well beyond the real notions of civility; which is that we try to speak in a way that allows a discussion that illuminates us rather than just name calling.

If you feel the need to post on politics, the Current Affairs board here is full of people that go there because they WANT to debate politics. This is an escape from it for most of us. OR, you can go find an overtly political board, either one that shares your world view or one where you can piss off as many of them as you like. But this isn't the board for it; this is a basketball board for people who want to talk about basketball.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
PaulieWal
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,148

Post#736 » by PaulieWal » Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:34 pm

Jordan Syndrome wrote:

Appeasing to the proud boys.

Thanks for this needless attack and bait for the mod team. Warned for backseat modding.
JordansBulls wrote:The Warriors are basically a good college team until they meet a team with bigs in the NBA.
PaulieWal
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,148

Post#737 » by PaulieWal » Thu Oct 1, 2020 1:31 am

Warned for backseat modding and derailing/baiting as well. For the millionth time, you are free to have the entire CA board for political discussions. Not every sub-forum on a basketball forum has to be dedicated to political talk.
JordansBulls wrote:The Warriors are basically a good college team until they meet a team with bigs in the NBA.
trex_8063
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 7,256

Post#738 » by trex_8063 » Thu Oct 1, 2020 6:33 pm

Jordan Syndrome wrote:.

E-Balla wrote:
Everything is politics

ESPECIALLY a no politics rule. It's just which politics you support, for example look at who supports the rule and it makes sense why.

I’ll try to be as civil here as I’m able, but this statement really pissed me off.

As I read, and re-read, and tried to interpret it, I think it was primarily aimed at other posters speaking up in favour of honouring the “no politics” rule…...but by claiming the rule itself is politically motivated you’ve roped in and slandered the entire mod team as being complicit with some broader political agenda.

Implying the rule is in place to put silencer on your [and like-minded] views is false, unfounded, and seemingly deliberately hurtful and antagonistic. In these ways you’ve more or less behaved in the very manner in which you’ve said a certain presidential candidate has behaved.

For myself I’ll say this: you don’t know the first damn thing about me politically…...because I’ve made a point of NEVER discussing politics here [on a basketball forum].
I don’t like discussing politics in general---often even with like-minded people---and definitely not with the other side of the aisle. It gets the blood up, people get nasty if “discussing” it with the other side, and rarely does any exchange of ideas truly penetrate because people are already too dug in.
It’s certainly not something I want to do on my basketball forum, where I come to, you know……read about or discuss basketball, or to unwind. I’m sure many others feel the same way (haven’t you noticed how when the OT thread gets on to politics it’s generally the same 3-4 individuals who take off and run with it, while the majority shy away from getting involved?).

So you want to know what the actual insidious agenda of the “no politics” rule is? ‘Cause it’s real ***damn simple: we don’t want to deal with the inherently volatile “discussions” that result. Period. That’s not what ANY of us---on the mod team of a basketball forum [really can’t underscore that part enough]----signed on for.

And those discussions are always highly volatile. If a debate between TWO actual presidential candidates----face-to-face, and on live national TV----devolves into an uncontrolled “s***-show”, what hope is there for the “debate” between many participating under the cloak of anonymity that the internet provides? I’ve looked at some of the other forums where political threads are permitted, and seen some of exchanges [e.g. “shut your dumb face, b**** a**. STFU and GTFO”].
Super-constructive, really furthers the political discourse in meaningful ways.

We don’t want to supervise that kind of crap, and nor would we let it go unsupervised [Lord of the Flies style] to devolve into days/weeks unending of verbal fistacuffs and barbarism, with several posters murderously and eternally pissed off at several others.

So the most convenient [and potentially effective] means for us is a simple “no politics” rule. This really shouldn’t be hard to understand.

Especially when there are forums conveniently on this very site that are dedicated to those kinds of topics, where the regular posters actually DO want to discuss those things, where the mods actually DID sign on for it, and where they presumably have the experience in moderating such material.

And you can discuss these things and tell others to “STFU” to your heart’s content [if the mods allow it] on THOSE forums. We [the mod team] just don’t want it here, and I’ll wager it’s not what the majority of posters want here either.

So there’s really no need or grounds to make personal attacks about some conspiratorial political agenda with this, because it really is just that simple.
There’s a place for everything, including political discussions, and this basketball forum is not one of them.

You’re like a guy who blunders into a 10-year-old’s birthday party drunk and loudly telling dirty jokes, and then gets miffed when the hosts tell you to knock it off or leave, calling them teetotaling prudes. In actuality we may enjoy a night out drinking and dirty jokes; we just feel that particular birthday party was not the appropriate place for either, nor were we happy cleaning up the puke and dealing with the pissed off parents [if you’ve followed the metaphor this far].

We'll give people a few days to absorb this and see about re-opening the thread.
"Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." -George Carlin

"The fact that a proposition is absurd has never hindered those who wish to believe it." -Edward Rutherfurd
Statlanta
RealGM
And1: 9,161

Post#739 » by Statlanta » Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:25 pm

The PC board is no different from the regular places that are denigrated like Facebook, ESPN comment sections, HoopsHype, or even the General Board.
East #1 Draft Picks: Fultz, Banchero, Wiggins, Cuninigham
West #1 Draft Picks: Edwards, WIlliamson, Ayton, Towns
Odinn21
Analyst
And1: 2,937

Post#740 » by Odinn21 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:28 am

11 October 2020
This was the most special day in sports I've ever come across.

Rafael Nadal equalled with Roger Federer for the most major titles.
Lewis Hamilton equalled with Michael Schumacher for the most race wins in Formula 1.
The LA Lakers equalled with the Boston Celtics for the most NBA titles. (+ LeBron James' 4th title)

Mega day.
The issue with per75 numbers;
36pts on 27 fga/9 fta in 36 mins, does this mean he'd keep up the efficiency to get 48pts on 36fga/12fta in 48 mins?
The answer; NO. He's human, not a linearly working machine.
Per75 is efficiency rate, not actual production.

Return to Player Comparisons