ImageImage

Re-Signed: The PJ Washington Jr. Thread (3yrs/$48m)

Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

wilson115
Sixth Man
And1: 968

Re: 3J Swishington: The PJ Washington Jr. Thread 

Post#261 » by wilson115 » Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:05 pm

Herro's better at getting his own shot, but picture PJ running the two-man game with Adebayo instead of the defensive weak link (and playoffs disappointment) Duncan Robinson.

Vanderbilt_Grad
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,771

Post#262 » by Vanderbilt_Grad » Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:42 pm

I think that there are some players that can be great regardless of organization or team fit. Other players really need to be in the right situation to be good.

Herro is in a situation that's perfect for him. I'm not convinced that he's this good this soon anywhere else. Conversely I'm not convinced that PJ does quite as well in Miami. I think that he'd be good. Just not convinced that he would replicate Herro.
My picks:
2020 Draft (3rd pick) - Tyrese Haliburton, Devin Vassell, or Onyeka Okongwu
2021 Draft (11th pick) - Moses Moody
MasterIchiro
RealGM
And1: 5,340

Post#263 » by MasterIchiro » Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:05 pm

Pat Riley is an elite talent evaluator, illustrated by recent picks Adebayo and Herro. He's been in the game a long time and learned to spot talent long before analytics. Heat are yet another model (Raptors) that you don't have to draft at the very top of the lottery to assemble a championship roster. You need good scouting and coaching and that's something we were never getting with Cho and Clifford. Kupchak is no slouch, thankfully. PJ was a solid pick. Hopefully Kupchak hits a HR this year.
It has been written...
amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,233

Post#264 » by amcoolio » Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:12 pm

MasterIchiro wrote:Pat Riley is an elite talent evaluator, illustrated by recent picks Adebayo and Herro. He's been in the game a long time and learned to spot talent long before analytics. Heat are yet another model (Raptors) that you don't have to draft at the very top of the lottery to assemble a championship roster. You need good scouting and coaching and that's something we were never getting with Cho and Clifford. Kupchak is no slouch, thankfully. PJ was a solid pick. Hopefully Kupchak hits a HR this year.

Spo is an elite coach and they have a work your ass off atmosphere, which will always allow them to compete. I wish we had that here. Spo can get away with it because he has multiple rings already. I guess Borrego technically does but it's not the same.

Malik Monk would probably look way better than he is now if he were on the Heat. I don't think you can compare players like that in a vacuum.
I don't support domestic violence. Thanks Miles
Vanderbilt_Grad
Assistant Coach

Post#265 » by Vanderbilt_Grad » Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:28 pm

amcoolio wrote:Malik Monk would probably look way better than he is now if he were on the Heat. I don't think you can compare players like that in a vacuum.

Disagree with this part strongly. Lots of players have failed in terms of adjusting to the Heat's culture. They've had players who just didn't do well there. Monk's biggest problems are of his own making and, if the substance abuse stuff is correct, it very well might have been worse in Miami.
My picks:
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 8,358

Post#266 » by BigSlam » Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:02 pm

MasterIchiro wrote:Heat are yet another model (Raptors) that you don't have to draft at the very top of the lottery to assemble a championship roster.

Specific to the Raptors: That couldn’t be further from the truth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
B B M F 'ers
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#267 » by BigSlam » Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:04 pm

But, back to PJ (because this is his thread):

I see he’s rocking a huge blow out right now. Adds an extra 2+ inches to his height and 10 levels to his coolness.

I hope he keeps it.

B B M F 'ers
JMAC3
General Manager
And1: 4,154

3J Swishington: The PJ Washington Jr. Thread 

Post#268 » by JMAC3 » Thu Oct 1, 2020 3:56 am

I’m still not convinced that his best position isn’t going to be Center. I would have to locate some advanced stats for him but watching games this year I always felt like he got far cleaner looks in the pick and pop game when he played the 5.

Getting 5-6 three point attempts a game is going to be key for his scoring development. Only shot 4 per game this year.

I would be fine starting the dumby center (Zeller) for the first 6 mins of first and third quarter and then using PJ as our game closing center with Miles at the 4. Finish game with good shooting and guys who can switch pick and rolls.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#269 » by BigSlam » Thu Oct 1, 2020 3:49 pm

I’d MUCH rather my PF earn 6 free throws a game than take 6 three point attempts per game.

B B M F 'ers
Vanderbilt_Grad
Assistant Coach

Post#270 » by Vanderbilt_Grad » Thu Oct 1, 2020 4:08 pm

BigSlam wrote:I’d MUCH rather my PF earn 6 free throws a game than take 6 three point attempts per game.

why not both?
My picks:
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#271 » by BigSlam » Thu Oct 1, 2020 8:51 pm

Vanderbilt_Grad wrote:
BigSlam wrote:I’d MUCH rather my PF earn 6 free throws a game than take 6 three point attempts per game.

why not both?

Both = a Davis/Embiid type 5 - which while really nice to have, are very rare.

Sure, having both traits would be awesome but my point was if I could only have 1 of those traits I’d rather the FT’s.

B B M F 'ers
SWedd523
RealGM
And1: 5,167

Post#272 » by SWedd523 » Thu Oct 1, 2020 9:25 pm

Has there EVER been a big who averaged 6 3PA/FTA per game?
penquin11
Sixth Man
And1: 148

Post#273 » by penquin11 » Thu Oct 1, 2020 9:31 pm

even if he is hitting three's at a 40% clip? Because at that point he has to nail all 6 free throws to do what his stats say he should do with the 6 3's (statistically at 40% he should be making 2.4 3's a game- so 6 to 9 points off of those shots)
Devilzsidewalk wrote:no, the DB's will just be thinking "damn, I thought that was going to be a run!" as they easily recover to intercept a Ponder pass 10 yards off the mark
James Gatz
Veteran
And1: 693

Post#274 » by James Gatz » Thu Oct 1, 2020 9:55 pm

SWedd523 wrote:Has there EVER been a big who averaged 6 3PA/FTA per game?

KAT did last season
Vanderbilt_Grad
Assistant Coach

Post#275 » by Vanderbilt_Grad » Thu Oct 1, 2020 10:08 pm

James Gatz wrote:

KAT did last season

Blake & PG the year before. DeMarcus Cousins before that. Kevin Love back in the day. Feel free to vary the search
https://stats.nba.com/players/traditional/?sort=PTS&dir=-1&Season=2013-14&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&CF=FTA*GE*6:FG3A*GE*6
My picks:
SWedd523
RealGM
And1: 5,167

Post#276 » by SWedd523 » Thu Oct 1, 2020 10:15 pm

I was trying to use bball ref and they changed it to subscription only
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#277 » by BigSlam » Thu Oct 1, 2020 10:57 pm

penquin11 wrote:

even if he is hitting three's at a 40% clip? Because at that point he has to nail all 6 free throws to do what his stats say he should do with the 6 3's (statistically at 40% he should be making 2.4 3's a game- so 6 to 9 points off of those shots)

How many fouls is he drawing putting opposing teams under foul pressure and forcing them to adjust their rotations?

And how many additional FT’s is he allowing his team mates to take from contributing to the opposition going into the bonus?

And again, a C taking making 3’s at 6apg AND hitting them at 40% AND getting to the line is lovely - as are unicorns.

B B M F 'ers
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,649

Post#278 » by yosemiteben » Fri Oct 2, 2020 12:12 am

Vanderbilt_Grad wrote:
James Gatz wrote:

KAT did last season

Blake & PG the year before. DeMarcus Cousins before that. Kevin Love back in the day. Feel free to vary the search
https://stats.nba.com/players/traditional/?sort=PTS&dir=-1&Season=2013-14&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&CF=FTA*GE*6:FG3A*GE*6

Holy crap. Without researching I would have agreed with SWedd, that is a pretty crazy stat.

SWedd523 wrote:I was trying to use bball ref and they changed it to subscription only

Really? That blows. Wonder how many people are willing to shell out subscription dollars for a raw stat site.
James Gatz
Veteran
And1: 693

Post#279 » by James Gatz » Fri Oct 2, 2020 2:30 am

Yeah I tried to search as well Swedd and found the same thing. I just assumed KAT would meet it and looked him up specifically first. Bummer it's 8 a month. Too pricey for me.
penquin11
Sixth Man
And1: 148

Post#280 » by penquin11 » Fri Oct 2, 2020 4:16 am

BigSlam wrote:
penquin11 wrote:

How many fouls is he drawing putting opposing teams under foul pressure and forcing them to adjust their rotations?

And how many additional FT’s is he allowing his team mates to take from contributing to the opposition going into the bonus?

And again, a C taking making 3’s at 6apg AND hitting them at 40% AND getting to the line is lovely - as are unicorns.

That's fair, wasn't really thinking about the bonus. But if we were to start 3J at C he isn't far off from that 40% clip at 37.5%- meanwhile he needs to significantly improve his FT% to make 6 FT's even worth it. As of his rookie year numbers at 6 3 pointers per game we could expect ~7 points (so again that 6 to 9 range but much more likely to be 6), while 6 FT's would have brought ~4 points. That and the dude already takes 4 3pointers a game- it would seem like a natural progression for him to take more shots as he becomes more established and I wouldn't mind seeing one or two of those additional shots a night come from outside given his efficiency. Right now he only takes 2 FT's per game so being more dominant/drawing more fouls certainly should be something he works on (and works on more than shooting), but he would have to triple his production to achieve that target.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:no, the DB's will just be thinking "damn, I thought that was going to be a run!" as they easily recover to intercept a Ponder pass 10 yards off the mark

Return to Charlotte Hornets