Moderators: Danny Darko, Kilroy, TyCobb

zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,497

Possible Lakers Dynasty 

Post#1 » by zimpy27 » Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:55 pm

Anthony Davis was just quoted as saying:
“You see the work and preparation LeBron puts in every day, and you understand why this is his 10th NBA Finals appearance. He never stops. I plan to follow this motherf---er to hopefully nine more Finals.”

The Lakers have over-achieved this season.
This 2020 offseason they have a number of 1-year expiring deals for trades and 14m in MLE's to use.
Then, in the 2021 offseason, they have the ability to sign another max free agent if LeBron goes for a team-friendly 1-year deal.

Could this team continue for another 5+ years?
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
Beethoven
Head Coach
And1: 3,805

Re: Possible Lakers Dynasty 

Post#2 » by Beethoven » Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:09 pm

Let's win one tonite. This may well turn into a Miami year according to all the sports town.

But yes.
If LeBron plays through 40 yrs of age and the other Western teams stay static.
Kobe Bryant forever
GO LAKERS
8-)
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#3 » by Kilroy » Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:30 pm

If they both really want that, they're going to have to be flexible on their paychecks as well as on the yoga mats...

Also... It's tough to win one... It's REALLY tough to stay together, get better and win 2 in a row... It's virtually impossible to do it 3 times... And judging from past history, playing with LeBron doesn't make the staying together part any easier...

So we'll see what happens... I'd love for them to continue the chemistry and for the FO to add a 3rd guy that bought in too, and can take over when LeBron starts to fade... But we're a long way from all that.
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,497

Post#4 » by zimpy27 » Thu Oct 1, 2020 12:38 am

Dynasty or Bust!

Yeah, obviously it's tough to win one, which isn't certain even now.

I see the potential because of the chemistry of the team and the ability to add more for next season.
I think LeBron and AD can make top 15 player impact for the next 5 years.

The possibility is there but who knows what comes from it, but a finals appearance is a great start.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
Young Stapler
General Manager
And1: 5,952

Post#5 » by Young Stapler » Thu Oct 1, 2020 3:55 am

Basically everything Kilroy said especially the money part.
danfantastk32
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,633

Post#6 » by danfantastk32 » Thu Oct 1, 2020 5:12 am

Agree. They are gonna need either a 3rd star...or some depth. We shipped off a few picks as well...so there will be little help from that avenue. I think Lebron will surpass expectations, and be top level (maybe not elite...but top-notch) for the next 2 years of his career. But it won't be enough with the league back to normal. Danny Green isn't enough, and guys like Rondo, and Dwight will move on / retire. There will always be those guys willing to come and take a lesser role at the end of their career....but you still need a core. Those Laker teams had Kobe Shaq Horry Fox Fisher and then Kobe Pau Odem Fisher Ariza/Artest and of course Phil.

But let's wait and do all this after we pick up number 1, eh? No point getting ahead of ourselves. Haven't won nothing yet.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,413

Post#7 » by Slava » Thu Oct 1, 2020 5:45 am

Man, lets enjoy the journey instead of looking too far forward. These things don't happen often.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
DanishLakerFan
Veteran
And1: 569

Post#8 » by DanishLakerFan » Thu Oct 1, 2020 11:52 am

Well, a dynasty starts with ONE title and after the first game - not to mention all the unfortunate injuries to Dragic, Bam and Jimmy - i think there's a good chance LA takes this one.

So do we have dynasty potential? Absolutely.

You need superstars to win titles and Lakers have two of the very best in AD and Lebron and that isn’t going to change these next few seasons (barring injury).

Continuation is important and they’re in a good position to bring back much of the current roster for next season (20-21) and address a few needs as well. After that (following the 20-21 season) just about everyone are off the books except Lebron (player option ) and AD (if he resigns after this season) and they’ll have to re-tool around those guys.
Dmagic
Pro Prospect
And1: 297

Post#9 » by Dmagic » Thu Oct 1, 2020 9:12 pm

it wil be interesting to see what happens next year with goldenstate back in the mix
EArl
RealGM
And1: 13,221

Post#10 » by EArl » Thu Oct 1, 2020 9:36 pm

I think next year we will be top 3 teams in contention. After that it will depend a lot on the FO and max players like AD taking less money to compete. Realistically I don't think we win more than back to back (counting this ring if we win) at best.
Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there wondering, fearing, Doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before;
KL78192020
RealGM
And1: 14,401

Post#11 » by KL78192020 » Thu Oct 1, 2020 10:40 pm

If Lebron can rest and Lakers get some high quality ring chasers/bench for cheap 2 is definitely possible in 2021. Lebron at age 37 though for a 3rd one? I don't see it.
LAKESHOW
RealGM
And1: 4,177

Post#12 » by LAKESHOW » Thu Oct 1, 2020 11:13 pm

I've been sayin that for a while now. We win this year?? Watch out!! We will have a battle tested unfied championship experienced cohesive Team for next year.
Home of the 17 Time World Champions
Beethoven
Head Coach

Post#13 » by Beethoven » Fri Oct 2, 2020 1:48 am

I think LeBron can keep an elevated high level of play next two years. After hopefully AD signs a 4 year contract we can make some moves to bring in a bona fide second star (when LeBron goes off into the sunset ) .

Also:
In the west..

Gsw i don't believe they'll be a powerhouse again unless they make some big move. Them minus kd is not enough.

Clippers i always believed lue had the same limited strategems as doc. Doc is gone, but have no fear, the limited coaching skills will continue under lue.
You don't believe it? Why wouldn't he advise doc to make adjustments during the Denver and Dallas matches?

East is still going to be a mess. Philly will go down in flames after going up 3-1 in the 2nd round, Toronto will lose vanvleet, and bucks will still be just a regular season powerhouse.
Kobe Bryant forever
GO LAKERS
8-)
TheHartBreakKid
General Manager
And1: 4,228

Post#14 » by TheHartBreakKid » Fri Oct 2, 2020 1:57 am

Slava wrote:Man, lets enjoy the journey instead of looking too far forward. These things don't happen often.

That's some **** Phil would say.

I could not agree more.

I just want to see this team finish it off and for Laker nation to feel that joy. To see this team finish it off considering everything about this year overall and everything that's happened in 10 years as a Laker fan bball wise might honestly be the happiest Laker fan moment of my 20 years of Laker fanship.
king_james_vers
Junior
And1: 743

Post#15 » by king_james_vers » Sat Oct 3, 2020 2:21 am

KL78192020 wrote:If Lebron can rest and Lakers get some high quality ring chasers/bench for cheap 2 is definitely possible in 2021. Lebron at age 37 though for a 3rd one? I don't see it.

One of the strongest statistical comps for LeBron is Karl Malone. For example, on Basketball Reference, Malone has the highest similarity score. 538 did a statistical analysis of LeBron a few years ago, and Malone was also his highest comp there. Anyway, Malone was a pretty damn good player through age 38, and he was still reasonably productive through age 40.

It all boils down to injuries. If LeBron doesn't get hurt, I think he could be a pretty damn good player for another 4-5 years. However, that's a huge "if". All it takes is one injury and his career could be irrevocably changed (see: Kobe). It is a little concerning that LeBron has had groin problems the last couple years.

But yeah, like you alluded to, I think it all boils down to what kind of role players they can bring in. Lakers are in a good position because LA is such a desirable place to play. It was harder to find ring-chasing vets in Cleveland, because who the hell wants to play half their games there?

Golden State really managed to pull in some amazing steals through the years: Boogie iirc had like a 2-year, $40M offer, and he instead signed with GS for the MLE. Zaza had something like 2-years, $20M available to him, and he took 1/$3.5M with the Warriors. etc
Michael Lucky
RealGM
And1: 6,511

Post#16 » by Michael Lucky » Sat Oct 3, 2020 3:49 am

Well with the way Lebron is playing, no doubt we should be favorites to win it next year. Let's all stay healthy.
DanishLakerFan
Veteran
And1: 569

Post#17 » by DanishLakerFan » Sat Oct 3, 2020 5:32 am

Lakers should be right there next year, but so will the Clips, Warriors and Nuggets. Ditto for Boston, Philly, Heat and Bucks in the East.

Bring back most og current roster with a few tweeks and we might be favorites.

As for a dynasty i think it both depend on possible FAs but also LeBrons health. I think his plan is to play with Bronny.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using RealGM mobile app
Beethoven
Head Coach

Post#18 » by Beethoven » Sat Oct 3, 2020 5:42 am

I think LeBron will be the same engine strength and lift of this season, next year. 18th season and running for league MVP again.

I can see him AT LEAST have the longevity of Vince Carter and Kevin Willis ( look at their bodies even in their last season) physically. But with more impactfulness (not just playing for the sake of longevity) .
I mean this guy is built like a horse and spends a million on his body a year. Vince didn't do that.

AD will come into next year w a hall of famer attitude and mentality like shaq finally did after his first chip.
Wiser and battle tested experience and confidence w more craftiness and will be the same mega-duo with LeBron once more.
Kobe Bryant forever
GO LAKERS
8-)
Slink
Rookie
And1: 936

Post#19 » by Slink » Sat Oct 3, 2020 8:29 pm

I suppose a lot depends on how next season looks, is it a shortened 40~50 game season with less travel time? That would mean more rest and less risk for injuries.
Jedi32
Head Coach
And1: 6,276

Post#20 » by Jedi32 » Tue Oct 6, 2020 1:43 pm

Honestly I'm just so happy to be back in the finals. The haters had a ball when we weren't doing so good. I'm just excited about the possibility of winning this year.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers