ImageImageImageImageImage

Doc out!!!!!!!!!

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

nickhx2
RealGM
And1: 6,273

Re: Doc out!!!!!!!!! 

Post#101 » by nickhx2 » Thu Oct 1, 2020 5:20 pm

i also have concerns about lue. i think it's just really hard to evaluate him when he took over an already good team with lebron on it.

my guess is that the team will want to know how his philosophy differs from doc's, and how he'd have done things differently in the playoffs. let's not forget that part of why doc was let go was because they couldn't come to agreements in philosophy. so basically i wouldn't worry about more of the same, for him or any coach that comes on board.

also, i think if he were to bring in alvin gentry as an assistant that'd be pretty helpful.

fwiw i'm still of the camp that mike D is a good choice for the team. he's always been a guy who's been flexible with regards to his personnel. that he was able to turn houston into a really good team no matter what roster iterations he's had i think speaks pretty well of him. and i can only imagine that the clippers are going to do their best to find good, utility pieces to play around kawhi/pg.
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,898

Post#102 » by esqtvd » Thu Oct 1, 2020 6:02 pm

MartinToVaught wrote:
esqtvd wrote:Report: Sixers expected to offer head-coaching job to Doc Rivers

https://www.inquirer.com/sixers/philadelphia-sixers-doc-rivers-ty-lue-mike-dantoni-20200930.html

Former Los Angeles Clippers coach Doc Rivers interviewed for the team’s vacant head-coaching job on Wednesday. Rivers has a serious chance of becoming the next coach.

Rivers talked with general manager Elton Brand during the day and met with the team’s ownership at night. Sources have said Rivers really wants this job, and the expectation was that he would blow away the Sixers ownership group with his infectious personality.

He reportedly watched Wednesday night’s Game 1 of the NBA Finals between the Miami Heat and Los Angeles Lakers with the Sixers. KRON4 News in California reported that a job offer is expected to follow soon.

Rivers, if hired, would be reunited with forward Tobias Harris.

Harris played parts of two seasons with the Clippers before being traded to the Sixers on Feb. 6, 2019. He averaged a career-best 20.9 points and shot a career-best 43.4% on three-pointers in 55 games during the 2018-19 season before the trade.

Harris thrives in the pick-and-roll sets Rivers likes to run. Meanwhile, sources said Rivers is excited about the opportunity to coach a preeminent center like Joel Embiid and loves big point guards like 6-foot-10 Ben Simmons.

Rivers checks a lot of boxes for the Sixers and, like Lue, comes with an NBA-championship pedigree.

The Pelicans also reached out to Rivers.

Looks like you have a new fanbase to troll.

Please stop harassing me. I'm from Philadelphia.
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
clipperlover
Rookie
And1: 981

Post#103 » by clipperlover » Thu Oct 1, 2020 8:17 pm

Good to hear the 76ers Championship window is about to close. Philly fans are going to be much less forgiving of failures than Clippers fans.
TrueLAfan
Senior Mod - Clippers
Senior Mod - Clippers
And1: 1,426

Post#104 » by TrueLAfan » Thu Oct 1, 2020 8:55 pm

I have some concerns about Lue as well, but he’s got one (major) feather in his cap as far as I’m concerned. I know how great LeBron is; nobody has to convince me of that. But the 2018 Cavs were not a good team. They had LeBron. They had Kevin Love, who has big flaws in his game. And, like a lot of other players on that team. Love missed a bunch of games. Lots of injuries. Only three players on that team played over 60 games—LeBron, Jeff Green(!) and Kyle Korver. It was a patchwork team; they were lucky, IMO, to get to 50 wins.

But here’s the deal; they kept winning—and I mean winning in the playoffs. I thought they were done against Indiana when J.R. Smith and Kevin Love shot like they’d never held a basketball before. LeBron was LeBron, but they got through that series because they were well coached and played well in crunch time. Indiana won two blowouts; the other five games were decided by less than 5 points. Cleveland won four of them. The high scorer in the fourth quarter of Game 7 was LeBron, of course—except it wasn’t. It was George Hill—who is no Lou Williams, but scored 9. Same against the Celtics that year in the Conference Finals, who were supposed to win. And, again, J.R. Smith and Kevin Love—the team’s #2 and #3 guys in minutes played during the season—couldn’t hit anything. Sure LeBron got 12 in the 4th quarter of game 7—but the rest of the team went 5 for 8 from the field and held Boston to 7-21 shooting. That’s a team win. Yes, Cleveland lost in the finals, but nobody was going to beat the Warriors that year. And this is a team that made the finals with a lineup filled with holes and injuries that held together and came through when it counted—in other words, that did exactly we haven’t done.

I’d rather have Sam or Chauncey out there—shake things up! Try something new! But Lue wouldn’t be some sort of disaster.
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,179

Post#105 » by MartinToVaught » Thu Oct 1, 2020 9:05 pm

By that logic, you'd think Mike Brown would still be getting head coaching jobs too. The 2007 Cavs were even worse than the 2018 Cavs and they also made the Finals.

It's really no secret why the Cavs kept "winning and winning" in the playoffs: they had the GOAT carrying them while also being the de facto player-coach. Lue just watched the games while that was going on.

To be fair, I don't think Cassell is enough of a change either. But at least we don't already know his limitations as a head coach. With Lue, he has a body of work that says he's Doc 2.0.
MartinToVaught
RealGM

Post#106 » by MartinToVaught » Thu Oct 1, 2020 9:15 pm

nickhx2 wrote:he's always been a guy who's been flexible with regards to his personnel.

IDK, I've heard the opposite about D'Antoni. He uses Thibs-esque rotations that run players into the ground, and he never makes any adjustments during playoff series when opposing defenses get used to his system.

On the other hand, anyone who coaches the Rockets under Morey is going to be more like the NBA equivalent of a modern baseball manager: they have to do what the sabermetrics gurus tell them to do. It's tough to tell how much agency D'Antoni really had over the system or the rotations in Houston.
LamarWho
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,083

Post#107 » by LamarWho » Thu Oct 1, 2020 9:49 pm

Congrats to Doc for the new gig. Best of luck to the 76ers organization and fans.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#108 » by esqtvd » Thu Oct 1, 2020 9:50 pm

of course, after Brett Brown pretty much anybody's a step up :D

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
MartinToVaught
RealGM

Post#109 » by MartinToVaught » Thu Oct 1, 2020 10:37 pm

I remember being thrilled when we hired Doc. Then reality set in.
KL78192020
RealGM
And1: 14,430

Post#110 » by KL78192020 » Fri Oct 2, 2020 12:13 am

I think Kenny Atkinson got shafted in Brooklyn. He got a lot out of those teams, with very little talent. Would be a better hire than Lue or D'antoni.
Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,640

Post#111 » by Quake Griffin » Fri Oct 2, 2020 12:30 am

Not gonna sugar coat it.

I’m rooting for Doc to fail in Philly.
Don’t get there and all of a sudden get smart, start developing players, making adjustments, and actually having a merit based system.

Angle for the brass to send out picks for Austin and tell the media that the team needs Austin’s defense.

In fact, come trade for Trezzy.
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
clipperlover
Rookie
And1: 981

Post#112 » by clipperlover » Fri Oct 2, 2020 12:42 am

esqtvd wrote:of course, after Brett Brown pretty much anybody's a step up :D

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Brown in Philly the same amount of time as Doc was here. Brown (1st time head coach) took over a predominantly young, non-playoff roster. Doc (14 yr head coach) took over a 56 win team coming off its 2nd straight playoffs.

Brown led Philly to its 3rd and 4th best record over its prior 30 seasons. Took Philly to its best two seasons since the 2000-2001 season.

Doc led the team to a better record 1 time.

Brown 3 playoff appearances, 2 2nd round exits, 0 Conference Finals appearances - 0 blown 3-1 Conference semis leads
Doc - 6 playoff appearances, 3 2nd round exists, 0 Conference Finals appearances - 2 blown 3-1 Conference semis leads

Playoffs - 2013-2019
Brown 12-10 playoff record, 8-2 1st round record, 4-8 2nd round record 54.5% win %, #3 seed twice, No losing 1st round series with HCA
Doc 26-46 playoff record, 15-18 1st round record, 5-8 2nd round record 43.4% win %, No 1st round series wins with HSA in less than 7 games

Those are the facts.
TrueLAfan
Senior Mod - Clippers
Senior Mod - Clippers
And1: 1,426

Post#113 » by TrueLAfan » Fri Oct 2, 2020 1:06 am

Yeah, Brett Brown is a decent coach. Philly is hiring Doc to deal with personality issues between big players. They’ve clearly decided trying that is better than giving up on their current lineup. Maybe it will work. A “player’s” coach may be just what they need. I doubt it—this isn’t a situation with driven, disciplined stars like KG and Pierce and Ray Ray. But Brown got good results from a fairly dysfunctional team. Tbh, the combo of Embiid and Simmons just—doesn’t work. I dunno. It sounds funny on paper; it looks funny on the court.

As for Mike Brown—it’s a lot like Brett Brown. Good coach. He’s mentioned for pretty much every head coaching slot available. He’s 11 games over .500 in 83 playoff games. He’s the assistant coach on the most recent dynasty team. He coached them in the 2017 when the head coach was out. The Lue Cavs teams were flawed, often injury riddled team in Lue’s last two years. They were in the finals both times. I’ll take that; I think our FO would have a better surrounding cast supporting our stars.

I also like Kenny Atkinson, and wonder if we’d have the balls to give Wes Unseld Jr. a shot.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#114 » by esqtvd » Fri Oct 2, 2020 1:09 am

clipperlover wrote:

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Brown in Philly the same amount of time as Doc was here. Brown (1st time head coach) took over a predominantly young, non-playoff roster. Doc (14 yr head coach) took over a 56 win team coming off its 2nd straight playoffs.

Brown led Philly to its 3rd and 4th best record over its prior 30 seasons. Took Philly to its best two seasons since the 2000-2001 season.

Brown 3 playoff appearances, 2 2nd round exits, 0 Conference Finals appearances - 0 blown 3-1 Conference semis leads
Doc - 6 playoff appearances, 3 2nd round exists, 0 Conference Finals appearances - 2 blown 3-1 Conference semis leads

Playoffs - 2013-2019
Brown 12-10 playoff record, 8-2 1st round record, 4-8 2nd round record 54.5% win %, #3 seed twice, No losing 1st round series with HCA
Doc 26-46 playoff record, 15-18 1st round record, 5-8 2nd round record 43.4% win %, No 1st round series wins with HSA in less than 7 games

Those are the facts.

Yup, the grass is always greener. And now let's see who the Clippers hire, and where the two franchises are next summer. Hint: Both orgs are making last-ditch efforts to see if their cores can work--whether the problem was the driver...or the horses. :wink:
Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,640

Post#115 » by Quake Griffin » Fri Oct 2, 2020 1:41 am

esqtvd wrote:
clipperlover wrote:

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Playoffs - 2013-2019

Those are the facts.

Yup, the grass is always greener. And now let's see who the Clippers hire, and where the two franchises are next summer. Hint: Both orgs are making last-ditch efforts to see if their cores can work--whether the problem was the driver...or the horses. :wink:

Don’t d-bag your own team bro bro.

Time to rep Ballmer and this FO in this search as zealously as you did Doc’s moves.

After all, you agreed this was the right move.
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#116 » by esqtvd » Fri Oct 2, 2020 1:58 am

Quake Griffin wrote:
esqtvd wrote:
clipperlover wrote:

Playoffs - 2013-2019

Those are the facts.

Time to rep Ballmer and this FO in this search as zealously as you did Doc’s moves.

Not sure you get me either, bruh. Once the season starts--especially when the effin PLAYOFFS start, ffs--I'm all in with my team. In the offseason, a different set of rules applies since EVERYTHING is or should be on the table.

As for the rest, I'm a lot tougher on players and easier on managers/coaches than the other geniuses here--I think championships are won on the court or on the field, not on the sidelines. The Sixers were gutless this year and the Clippers after Game 4 were pretty bad too--TO THE MAN [except Zu and Kawhi until Game 7]. That's where my finger points.

I think the players AND the FO have got away with very little criticism around here, when this was an organizational failure from top to bottom. And since you can't fire everybody, Doc was the logical one to go. But make no mistake--the org is in a much more dangerous position than we were at the beginning of 2018-19, with a pretty good rebuilding team, a great sal cap situation, and all our draft picks.
MartinToVaught
RealGM

Post#117 » by MartinToVaught » Fri Oct 2, 2020 2:16 am

KL78192020 wrote:I think Kenny Atkinson got shafted in Brooklyn. He got a lot out of those teams, with very little talent. Would be a better hire than Lue or D'antoni.

Kyrie's comments today about "collaborative coaching" are a pretty obvious indicator of what Atkinson had to deal with in Brooklyn. He probably got fired for telling Kyrie to shut up and let him do the coaching. :lol:

I feel bad for Nash. You couldn't pick a worse team for your first head coaching job.
NickP
Bench Warmer
And1: 913

Post#118 » by NickP » Fri Oct 2, 2020 3:00 am

esqtvd wrote:
Quake Griffin wrote:
esqtvd wrote:

Not sure you get me either, bruh. Once the season starts--especially when the effin PLAYOFFS start, ffs--I'm all in with my team. In the offseason, a different set of rules applies since EVERYTHING is or should be on the table.

As for the rest, I'm a lot tougher on players and easier on managers/coaches than the other geniuses here--I think championships are won on the court or on the field, not on the sidelines. The Sixers were gutless this year and the Clippers after Game 4 were pretty bad too--TO THE MAN [except Zu and Kawhi until Game 7]. That's where my finger points.

I think the players AND the FO have got away with very little criticism around here, when this was an organizational failure from top to bottom. And since you can't fire everybody, Doc was the logical one to go. But make no mistake--the org is in a much more dangerous position than we were at the beginning of 2018-19, with a pretty good rebuilding team, a great sal cap situation, and all our draft picks.

You are half right Tom. Championships are not only won on the court but, they're also won on the sidelines. Because the decisions made on the sidelines affect what happens on the court.
A coach has to think a step ahead of what's happening on the floor and make decisions. That's why they say coaching is a chess game.
I don't know how or why you fail to see this.
nickhx2
RealGM
And1: 6,273

Post#119 » by nickhx2 » Fri Oct 2, 2020 3:11 am

TrueLAfan wrote:Yeah, Brett Brown is a decent coach. Philly is hiring Doc to deal with personality issues between big players. They’ve clearly decided trying that is better than giving up on their current lineup. Maybe it will work. A “player’s” coach may be just what they need. I doubt it—this isn’t a situation with driven, disciplined stars like KG and Pierce and Ray Ray. But Brown got good results from a fairly dysfunctional team. Tbh, the combo of Embiid and Simmons just—doesn’t work. I dunno. It sounds funny on paper; it looks funny on the court.

As for Mike Brown—it’s a lot like Brett Brown. Good coach. He’s mentioned for pretty much every head coaching slot available. He’s 11 games over .500 in 83 playoff games. He’s the assistant coach on the most recent dynasty team. He coached them in the 2017 when the head coach was out. The Lue Cavs teams were flawed, often injury riddled team in Lue’s last two years. They were in the finals both times. I’ll take that; I think our FO would have a better surrounding cast supporting our stars.

I also like Kenny Atkinson, and wonder if we’d have the balls to give Wes Unseld Jr. a shot.

agree with this. i think doc is probably a good choice for philadelphia because of that. they just need a calming voice in that lockerroom right now.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#120 » by esqtvd » Fri Oct 2, 2020 4:20 am

NickP wrote:
esqtvd wrote:
Quake Griffin wrote:

You are half right Tom. Championships are not only won on the court but, they're also won on the sidelines. Because the decisions made on the sidelines affect what happens on the court.
A coach has to think a step ahead of what's happening on the floor and make decisions. That's why they say coaching is a chess game.
I don't know how or why you fail to see this.

If you want to talk with me, I'd appreciate a little civility, Nick? Just because I'm a fan who wants to enjoy my team, enjoy the games, and enjoy our board, it doesn't mean I fail to see anything.

In the NBA, great players can win a title despite a mediocre coach. If Doc is mediocre, Garnett's Celtics still won despite Doc.

And in defense of firing Doc--lacking a Jordan or a Magic or a LeBron--or Garnett--all other championship teams catch lightning in a bottle to some degree. And I will say that Doc lacks imagination. THAT is his biggest flaw. As a coach, and when he was our GM/PoBO too. He lacks a certain magic. But as for mistakes? Meh.

I'm not going to relitigate this. Zu's minutes were doubled; Trezz's cut in half. And we ALL know Trezz is a crap rebounder, doesn't box out and is no rim protector either. But we did not lose this on the defensive end--we lost because we were averaging under 40 points in the second half. EVERYBODY was dogshtt.

The team fell apart. But not because of Xs and Os. NBA championship coach Ty Lue was in Doc's ear and Sam was in the players' ear. The game was lost on the floor. Anybody who says ANY coach [Brad Stevens? Red Auerbach?] could have got us in and out of The Bubble with the Larry needs to start telling us how.

Doc is gone, but the failure was organizational, from the FO to the coach to every single player--except for Zu and Kawhi except for Game 7 when he laid down like a dog too. And it was because Kawhi quit on him that Doc should be--and was--fired.

Frankly, as a fan of both teams, I don't think Doc can give the Sixers a heart transplant either. The Clips, and the Sixers too, went down in The Bubble for lack of heart, not for lack of brains.

Lack of soul. The combination of both. Some all it magic.

Return to Los Angeles Clippers