ImageImage

2020 Off-season Discussion

Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

MugzZo
Sixth Man
And1: 902

2020 Off-season Discussion  

Post#1 » by MugzZo » Fri Oct 2, 2020 5:28 am

It will very here soon as we all know. Who are some guys you would consider? We actually have decent capspace.

Harrell and Oubre id be happy with either as it wouldn't cripple us and add versatility to positionless lineups. I also like the idea of adding Christian Wood. Who are some guys you would realistically like to acquire in the offseason?
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 43,034

Re: The offseason thread. 

Post#2 » by JDR720 » Fri Oct 2, 2020 7:55 am

With how utterly screwed up this year has been, I've been in offseason mode since like February.
MugzZo
Sixth Man

Post#3 » by MugzZo » Fri Oct 2, 2020 8:52 am

I hear ya. Next month is the draft and then boom the offseason. We can actually add some talent this year and I am excited. Im not expecting anything crazy but I think if we do this draft and offseason right, along with player development we can get to a good place.
JDR720 wrote:With how utterly screwed up this year has been, I've been in offseason mode since like February.
Hornet Mania
General Manager
And1: 7,391

Post#4 » by Hornet Mania » Fri Oct 2, 2020 10:49 am

I don't see the point of getting Harrell unless we also unload Zeller. I'm on the 'PJ is a C' train, or at least he should be for chunks of the game, so we don't need two Cs that expect minutes on top of that.

At this point I am much, much more interested in using cap space to acquire picks or young prospects in exchange for teams dumping salary on us. If the cap goes way down a lot of organizations are going to get squeezed, seems like the ideal environment for that sort of strategy. Memphis played it perfectly last offseason, we should emulate their approach.
Rays Pompadour
Senior
And1: 418

Post#5 » by Rays Pompadour » Fri Oct 2, 2020 11:34 am

The focus should continue to be adding young talent, future picks and player development. Things to not do: add a big-name, big-dollar free agent(s); add a contract (salary dump) of three years or more.

I'd be interested in bringing Biz back at the right price (but what is it?) and find some way to include Bacon in a beneficial trade (or for a mid-to-upper second-rounder). Speaking of development, is Jared Dudley a grandpa yet? Seems like a decent prospective coach the Hornets could bring back on a short contract. We don't know yet what players in the league will opt out (not many, I think), and poaching a restricted will be expensive, so best bet is to target an UFA who is 26 or under who needs an opportunity. Kelly Oubre (is he restricted?) comes to mind as does Harry Giles or Etwaun Moore. I've always liked Pat Connaughton, and Bruno Caboclo has a future somewhere.

I expect Mitch to be busy around the draft and deeper into the summer as he seeks to leverage cap space. See Batum. Are there any front office moves to be made? Could be a static offseason in some areas and total glorious chaos in others. Should be fun.
Vanderbilt_Grad
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,771

Post#6 » by Vanderbilt_Grad » Fri Oct 2, 2020 1:20 pm

The goal should be adding talent without overpaying. Picks, smart FA signings (and not necessarily big ones), etc.
My picks:
2020 Draft (3rd pick) - Tyrese Haliburton, Devin Vassell, or Onyeka Okongwu
2021 Draft (11th pick) - Moses Moody
316Hornets
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,731

Post#7 » by 316Hornets » Fri Oct 2, 2020 1:44 pm

I'd rather trade something for Mfiondu Kabengele than Harrell. We need to surround our #3 pick with youth like Atlanta has done for Trae. Let them develop together so one day they are fighting in the playoffs.

We could go snag a veteran mentor like Jared Dudley.
The Charlotte Hornets will win their first round series against the Boston Celtics in the 2021 Playoffs
DY_nasty
General Manager
And1: 4,946

Post#8 » by DY_nasty » Fri Oct 2, 2020 1:56 pm

316Hornets wrote:I'd rather trade something for Mfiondu Kabengele than Harrell. We need to surround our #3 pick with youth like Atlanta has done for Trae. Let them develop together so one day they are fighting in the playoffs.

There's no one in this draft good enough to build around
316Hornets
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,731

Post#9 » by 316Hornets » Fri Oct 2, 2020 2:58 pm

DY_nasty wrote:
316Hornets wrote:I'd rather trade something for Mfiondu Kabengele than Harrell. We need to surround our #3 pick with youth like Atlanta has done for Trae. Let them develop together so one day they are fighting in the playoffs.

Hogwash, there's just no hype because college season ended early. There are at least 3 future All-stars in this draft.
The Charlotte Hornets will win their first round series against the Boston Celtics in the 2021 Playoffs
Soul Rebel
Senior
And1: 372

Post#10 » by Soul Rebel » Fri Oct 2, 2020 3:21 pm

DY_nasty wrote:

There certainly is a couple of guys, IMO.

Only issue is, much like 2013, finding the Giannis, Oladipo and McCollum's and not the Zeller, Len and Bennett's.
DY_nasty
General Manager
And1: 4,946

Post#11 » by DY_nasty » Fri Oct 2, 2020 9:43 pm

Soul Rebel wrote:
DY_nasty wrote:

There certainly is a couple of guys, IMO.

Only issue is, much like 2013, finding the Giannis, Oladipo and McCollum's and not the Zeller, Len and Bennett's.

You let those guys *prove it* instead of making roster moves to compliment unproven players in a universally accepted poor overall draft class.
Braggins
RealGM
And1: 8,145

Post#12 » by Braggins » Sat Oct 3, 2020 8:12 pm

I'd take a chance on Malik Beasley. Hes a 6'4" scoring/shooting SG who fits the timeline. He probably won't get paid all that much. I see it as getting an Anthony Edwards'esque player without having to use a draft pick on him.

Id also like to see Zeller, Rozier, and Batum all traded, if possible.
PerkinsFor3
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,976

Post#13 » by PerkinsFor3 » Sun Oct 4, 2020 7:01 am

Braggins wrote:I'd take a chance on Malik Beasley. Hes a 6'4" scoring/shooting SG who fits the timeline. He probably won't get paid all that much. I see it as getting an Anthony Edwards'esque player without having to use a draft pick on him.

I like Beasley a lot. But with Monk and Rozier on board it seems like a somewhat lateral move.
Braggins
RealGM
And1: 8,145

Post#14 » by Braggins » Sun Oct 4, 2020 8:21 am

PerkinsFor3 wrote:
Braggins wrote:I'd take a chance on Malik Beasley. Hes a 6'4" scoring/shooting SG who fits the timeline. He probably won't get paid all that much. I see it as getting an Anthony Edwards'esque player without having to use a draft pick on him.

I like Beasley a lot. But with Monk and Rozier on board it seems like a somewhat lateral move.

I hope they trade Rozier and Monk's future is questionable (although I still have more faith than most probably do). This team also really needs more offense.

Beasley has been a more reliable outside shooter, but Monk has more potential as a primary shot creator, so I think their skillsets could be complimentary enough. I want to see a full on youth movement and think a lineup of Graham/Beasley/Bridges/Washington/Wiseman or Okongwu, with Monk in the 6th man scoring role, could be a fun core to develop while they hopefully get a true star in the 2021 or 2022 draft.
LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,509

Post#15 » by LofJ » Sun Oct 4, 2020 3:14 pm

Beasley and Giles are the only two players I'm interested in for free agency. Beasley is restricted however, so unless the Wolves want to let him go we'd likely have to overpay (which is a bad idea). So that leaves Giles who is likely to come relatively cheap, especially if he can be confident he'll get consistent playing time. Unless we use the 3rd pick on Wiseman I think that's a safe bet.
MugzZo
Sixth Man

Post#16 » by MugzZo » Sun Oct 4, 2020 10:49 pm

Would like get rid ourselves of zeller and batum. Ill keep rozier around he fits the timeline and surpassed my expectations for him last year. However I would trade him if the deal is to good to pass on. I want out from batums death clutch so damn bad.
Vanderbilt_Grad
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,771

Post#17 » by Vanderbilt_Grad » Sun Oct 4, 2020 11:45 pm

MugzZo wrote:Would like get rid ourselves of zeller and batum. Ill keep rozier around he fits the timeline and surpassed my expectations for him last year. However I would trade him if the deal is to good to pass on. I want out from batums death clutch so damn bad.

Trading Zeller is realistic IMHO, but he is the only true center currently under contract.

Batum will be gone by the end of next season. The most likely scenario is a buyout with the Hornets paying the bulk of his contract. The main questions in my mind are when, and if they bother to stretch it. The latter only happens if the Hornets do this during the offseason and need to create more cap space ASAP.
My picks:
2020 Draft (3rd pick) - Tyrese Haliburton, Devin Vassell, or Onyeka Okongwu
2021 Draft (11th pick) - Moses Moody
luciano-davidwesley
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,246

Post#18 » by luciano-davidwesley » Mon Oct 5, 2020 12:35 am

Vanderbilt_Grad wrote:
MugzZo wrote:Would like get rid ourselves of zeller and batum. Ill keep rozier around he fits the timeline and surpassed my expectations for him last year. However I would trade him if the deal is to good to pass on. I want out from batums death clutch so damn bad.

Trading Zeller is realistic IMHO, but he is the only true center currently under contract.

Batum will be gone by the end of next season. The most likely scenario is a buyout with the Hornets paying the bulk of his contract. The main questions in my mind are when, and if they bother to stretch it. The latter only happens if the Hornets do this during the offseason and need to create more cap space ASAP.

We are better off trading them both for bad contracts and picks. If we can't get a decent return for them just let them expire as we don't need more cap space.
MugzZo
Sixth Man

Post#19 » by MugzZo » Mon Oct 5, 2020 4:27 am

I think we could get decent value for zeller, batum? His contract is the crippler, but only for one more year. I'd resign biyombo for a reasonable hometown discount.
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,045

Post#20 » by Liver_Pooty » Mon Oct 5, 2020 4:51 am

Zeller doesn't need to go anywhere. He'd be perfect coming off the bench.
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.

Return to Charlotte Hornets