NBA 2020 Draft Prospects Thread

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

sipclip
Head Coach
And1: 1,240

Re: NBA 2020 Draft Prospects Thread 

Post#281 » by sipclip » Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:06 am

KqWIN wrote:No more Tony Bradley types please!!!! If we spend any assets on a C (MLE, BAE, or 1st round pic) I'm going to be pissed.

I'm not sure where you are getting the Tony Bradley type from. I actually liken his overall game to Horford. That isn't to say I think he will be the caliber of player that Horford has been but I think he can be a notch below that level which is still a good player in this league.
KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Post#282 » by KqWIN » Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:16 am

sipclip wrote:
KqWIN wrote:No more Tony Bradley types please!!!! If we spend any assets on a C (MLE, BAE, or 1st round pic) I'm going to be pissed.

I'm not sure where you are getting the Tony Bradley type from. I actually liken his overall game to Horford. That isn't to say I think he will be the caliber of player that Horford has been but I think he can be a notch below that level which is still a good player in this league.

Which player are we talking about here? Generally, I'm 100% against spending our pick or other assets on trying to find a backup for Rudy. Double bad if it's drafting a developing C with hopes that he can be Rudy's backup one day. A full TB would be drafting a C with hopes that who can be a backup when he doesn't have defensive ability.

If we resign Clarkson, our pick is really the only asset we have. We won't use MLE or BAE because we will be too close to the tax. So if we spend our only asset on someone who might not even be better than Bradley/Morgan I'm going to be furious.
SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,015

Post#283 » by SoCalJazzFan » Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:30 am

You must love report from Tony Jones that the Jazz are interested in bringing back Favors for the BAE, then.

Would I take him over Bradley and Davis? Absolutely! In addition to them? No.
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#284 » by KqWIN » Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:04 am

SoCalJazzFan wrote:

You must love report from Tony Jones that the Jazz are interested in bringing back Favors for the BAE, then.

I don't think Favors is a BAE player...that's barely above the minimum. The full MLE might be too low for him. I've tossed that idea around, but I agree it's just not worth it. I love Favors, but we have much bigger holes to fill than backup C. Nobody is lower on Bradley than me, but we still shouldn't use everything have to get a better backup.
SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach

Post#285 » by SoCalJazzFan » Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:07 pm

KqWIN wrote:
SoCalJazzFan wrote:

I don't think Favors is a BAE player...that's barely above the minimum. The full MLE might be too low for him. I've tossed that idea around, but I agree it's just not worth it. I love Favors, but we have much bigger holes to fill than backup C. Nobody is lower on Bradley than me, but we still shouldn't use everything have to get a better backup.

If the Jazz were to use their MLE on Favors, I would be joining you in the pissed dept (as much as I love Favors).

Perhaps someone to consider if the Jazz can buy into the mid to end of the 2nd round is Nathan Knight. Jazz could get the best wing available at #23 and get an Oturu type player with the buy into the 2nd.
AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,735

Post#286 » by AingesBurner » Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:30 pm

I think Sam Merrill could be our next Ingles.
Ingles is cooked.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,200

Post#287 » by babyjax13 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:21 pm

Bolmaro won't be coming over for two years now, a shame. I still want him, hopefully that's what the rumors of Utah buying into the second round are about.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,191

Post#288 » by Catchall » Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:38 pm

babyjax13 wrote:Bolmaro won't be coming over for two years now, a shame. I still want him, hopefully that's what the rumors of Utah buying into the second round are about.

Where did you see a rumor that the Jazz are trying to buy into the 2nd round?
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#289 » by babyjax13 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:19 pm

Catchall wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:Bolmaro won't be coming over for two years now, a shame. I still want him, hopefully that's what the rumors of Utah buying into the second round are about.

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/259635/Jazz-Could-Buy-Into-Second-Round-Of-2020-Draft-Have-Interest-In-Derrick-Favors-Reunion

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
Catchall
RealGM

Post#290 » by Catchall » Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:54 am

babyjax13 wrote:
Catchall wrote:

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/259635/Jazz-Could-Buy-Into-Second-Round-Of-2020-Draft-Have-Interest-In-Derrick-Favors-Reunion

Makes sense. Any of these guys would be good 2nd-rd picks: Reed, Perry, Nwora, Hughes, Hall, Flynn, Pritchard
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#291 » by KqWIN » Wed Sep 30, 2020 5:20 pm

I really like Tillie. Injury concerns aside, I think he is a plus defender, plus shooter, and also has a high skill level. He's underrated.
SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach

Post#292 » by SoCalJazzFan » Thu Oct 1, 2020 11:41 pm

KqWIN wrote:I really like Tillie. Injury concerns aside, I think he is a plus defender, plus shooter, and also has a high skill level. He's underrated.

Another Danilo Galinari? (perhaps in the perpetually injured dept as well).
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#293 » by KqWIN » Fri Oct 2, 2020 12:00 am

SoCalJazzFan wrote:
KqWIN wrote:I really like Tillie. Injury concerns aside, I think he is a plus defender, plus shooter, and also has a high skill level. He's underrated.

I don't think he plays much like Gallo. Well, maybe like Gallo as he continues to age, but definitely not Gallo as a younger player. For one, he's definitely more of a true big. I don't know exactly how the measurables compare, but Gallo definitely has the physicality/game of a guard/wing whereas Tillie naturally plays more like a big. Gallo also has a very good isolation game and gets to the foul line at a high rate. Tillie doesn't have that game, or at least we didn't see it. He's more of a guy who will play off of actions. Catch and shoot, pump fake and drive, rolling to the basket ect.

If I had to make a comparison I would say he's sort of a mix between Olynyk and Patrick Patterson. He's not as good as Olynyk offensively or Patterson defensively, but he's got game. He's actually not too different as a prospect as Trey Lyles...we'll see about his attitude. I think he has the skillset on offense and toughness+activity to make it work on both ends as a role player.

I know a role player isn't exciting, but the players who end up as stars at this stage of the draft are often the one's who people think have role player characteristics. Butler, Lowry, Brogdon, Middleton, Millsap ect were all the unassuming types coming out of college.
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#294 » by babyjax13 » Fri Oct 2, 2020 12:36 am

KqWIN wrote:
SoCalJazzFan wrote:

I don't think he plays much like Gallo. Well, maybe like Gallo as he continues to age, but definitely not Gallo as a younger player. For one, he's definitely more of a true big. I don't know exactly how the measurables compare, but Gallo definitely has the physicality/game of a guard/wing whereas Tillie naturally plays more like a big. Gallo also has a very good isolation game and gets to the foul line at a high rate. Tillie doesn't have that game, or at least we didn't see it. He's more of a guy who will play off of actions. Catch and shoot, pump fake and drive, rolling to the basket ect.

If I had to make a comparison I would say he's sort of a mix between Olynyk and Patrick Patterson. He's not as good as Olynyk offensively or Patterson defensively, but he's got game. He's actually not too different as a prospect as Trey Lyles...we'll see about his attitude. I think he has the skillset on offense and toughness+activity to make it work on both ends as a role player.

I know a role player isn't exciting, but the players who end up as stars at this stage of the draft are often the one's who people think have role player characteristics. Butler, Lowry, Brogdon, Middleton, Millsap ect were all the unassuming types coming out of college.

Grant Riller is the guy projected in the second round that really excites me, I don't know how he isn't being considered a possible lottery pick. I'm also super intrigued by Mason Jones. I can't really think of a comp for him which is worrying, but man he can score anything.

JColl
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#295 » by KqWIN » Fri Oct 2, 2020 3:58 pm

babyjax13 wrote:
KqWIN wrote:
SoCalJazzFan wrote:Another Danilo Galinari? (perhaps in the perpetually injured dept as well).

Grant Riller is the guy projected in the second round that really excites me, I don't know how he isn't being considered a possible lottery pick. I'm also super intrigued by Mason Jones. I can't really think of a comp for him which is worrying, but man he can score anything.

If there is such a thing as a boom or bust prospect, I think Riller is that guy. I don't think he is going to end up on either of the extremes, but he has a wide range of outcomes. I could see him out of the league, a good role player, a starter, or I think he could be a star. We'll just have to see how his game translates but I like guards who are really good at the basket. I think it shows a great degree athleticism and touch.

Mason Jones is interesting. I read some positive notes on him. High character, used to be fat (260 lbs), and started basketball late. He also is very good at the rim. 75% at the rim is just terrific. It is tough to make a comparison for him. He's kind of like Alec Burks with O'Neale's body and athleticism. Does that work out to be an NBA player? Idk, but he's worth a second round pick
Catchall
RealGM

Post#296 » by Catchall » Sat Oct 3, 2020 12:54 am

KqWIN wrote:
SoCalJazzFan wrote:

Tillie doesn't have the handle or the ball skills, and doesn't play downhill like Gallinari did.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
Catchall
RealGM

Post#297 » by Catchall » Sat Oct 3, 2020 12:58 am

The heart of this draft, to me, is the 10 - 17 range with guys like Vassell, Williams, Nesmith, Bey, Pokusevski, Maxey and Hampton. I'd like to see the Jazz be able to trade up to that range.

At #23, I'm guessing the Jazz are looking at Tyrell Terry, Josh Green, Jaden McDaniels and Tyler Bey. In that group, Terry and McDaniels have the most upside.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#298 » by babyjax13 » Sat Oct 3, 2020 5:01 am

Catchall wrote:The heart of this draft, to me, is the 10 - 17 range with guys like Vassell, Williams, Nesmith, Bey, Pokusevski, Maxey and Hampton. I'd like to see the Jazz be able to trade up to that range.

At #23, I'm guessing the Jazz are looking at Tyrell Terry, Josh Green, Jaden McDaniels and Tyler Bey. In that group, Terry and McDaniels have the most upside.

Vassell will be drafted top 10. Without him, I find that group to be pretty underwhelming. I'm sure someone in it will be very good, but it's unclear who (I guess I'd bet on Williams or Hampton).

JColl
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#299 » by KqWIN » Sat Oct 3, 2020 2:08 pm

Catchall wrote:
KqWIN wrote:
SoCalJazzFan wrote:Another Danilo Galinari? (perhaps in the perpetually injured dept as well).

Tillie doesn't have the handle or the ball skills, and doesn't play downhill like Gallinari did.

Yup, he's definitely more of a big whereas Gallo is a true perimeter player. Tillie has some game, but it's more in a PnR/PnP capacity. I think he'll be good at making decisions against closeouts and in the short roll.
AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,735

Post#300 » by AingesBurner » Sat Oct 3, 2020 3:08 pm

I want the guy from Maryland, could end up being the player we wanted Favors to be.
Ingles is cooked.

Return to Utah Jazz