ImageImage

Appropriately early 2020 NBA Draft Thread

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

What would you like to see the Hawks do with the #6 pick?

Trade the Pick for a vet
17%
Trade into the top 3
27%
Trade for later/future picks
13%
Draft Best Player Available
13%
Draft TYRESE HALIBURTON
10%
Draft ONYEKA OKONGWU
10%
Draft ISAAC OKORO
No votes
Draft KILLIAN HAYES
10%

Total votes: 30

CP War Hawks
Analyst
And1: 1,434

Re: Appropriately early 2020 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#881 » by CP War Hawks » Fri Oct 2, 2020 8:45 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
Little Digger wrote:I watched quite a few Hawks games early last season and became a fan of Collins and Reddish..Would definitely be willing to give up the W’s #2 overall and Paschall for 1 of those guys.

You want to give us the #2 pick in the draft PLUS 1st team all rookie selection Eric Paschall for just Cam Reddish?!?

:o

That...would be hard to turn down. That #2 pick plus our own #6 pick plus Huerter, Paschall, Capela is the kind of trade package that could net us a star.

On paper that's looks appealing to another team but I digress. I see the Hawks model for success as pretty clear. Being that the 10th pick in the 2019 didn't have much value. Same with picks 19th in 2017 and 2018 had virtually no value until the Hawks developed each prospect from those drafts.

So basically we need to draft the bpa and sell high for a bonafide superstar or develop them until they've reached their ceiling. You'll eventually get an OKC circa 2010 scenario going which is ideal for the Hawks.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,492

Post#882 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Oct 2, 2020 9:08 pm

CP War Hawks wrote:On paper that's looks appealing to another team but I digress. I see the Hawks model for success as pretty clear. Being that the 10th pick in the 2019 didn't have much value.

If we're trying to secure a true superstar, a top-10 player to pair with Trae Young -- a package built around #2, #6, Capela, John Collins is easily the most attractive on the market.

I like Cam. But he's years away from what we HOPE he becomes. A lot can happen in that time.

For a chance to acquire Embiid or Simmons or Beal or Giannis or KAT -- we'd be out of our minds to pass up the opportunity for an unproven kid.

Reddish has potential, but there will be other two way wings.

Spoiler:
I'm not sure how many of you guys were around 5+ years ago. But we used to have Hawks fans in this forum stating that they'd rather have Jeff Teague than Kyrie Irving. Or Teague over Russ Westbrook. Or Teague over Damian Lillard.

This feels like that type of blind, delusional homerism.

Making Cam Reddish largely untouchable after 6 weeks of solid basketball...is insane.
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,379

Post#883 » by King Ken » Fri Oct 2, 2020 9:24 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
CP War Hawks wrote:On paper that's looks appealing to another team but I digress. I see the Hawks model for success as pretty clear. Being that the 10th pick in the 2019 didn't have much value.

If we're trying to secure a true superstar, a top-10 player to pair with Trae Young -- a package built around #2, #6, Capela, John Collins is easily the most attractive on the market.

I like Cam. But he's years away from what we HOPE he becomes. A lot can happen in that time.

For a chance to acquire Embiid or Simmons or Beal or Giannis or KAT -- we'd be out of our minds to pass up the opportunity for an unproven kid.

Spoiler:
I'm not sure how many of you guys were around 5+ years ago. But we used to have Hawks fans in this forum stating that they'd rather have Jeff Teague than Kyrie Irving. Or Teague over Russ Westbrook. Or Teague over Damian Lillard.

Making Cam Reddish largely untouchable after 6 weeks of solid basketball...is insane.

Cam Reddish is untouchable to me. I could care less if he isn't to you.

No one trading us a superstar if they see our players like you do in the 1st place

He did more than just play good Basketball in 6 weeks. His damn Points per touch was nearly 50% and 3rd in the NBA for someone playing more than 24 mpg. His defense shined when others around him couldn't hold their water. He was drawing fouls. He massively improved his WAR from -3 in December to -0.1 which is a 2.9 swing and 2nd on our team behind Trae Young from Jan to the end of our season.

Hell no we are trading for your silly ass concoction. We aren't getting no damn superstar and no, there aren't wings around just there on the damn level of Cameron Reddish. Boy, you done bumped your damn head posting in this place by yourself
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#884 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Oct 2, 2020 11:11 pm

jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,924

Post#885 » by jayu70 » Fri Oct 2, 2020 11:47 pm

myrak433
Sixth Man
And1: 229

Post#886 » by myrak433 » Fri Oct 2, 2020 11:52 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:

Spoiler:

Cam is just different. To me he is the only other player on this team that is not for trade. Him and Young.
December of 2019 “Trae Young Involved in 'Emotional' Locker Room Scene After Hawks Loss. Atlanta Hawks star Trae Young is unsurprisingly getting tired of the team's struggles.”

Get Trae some HELP!!!!
myrak433
Sixth Man

Post#887 » by myrak433 » Fri Oct 2, 2020 11:58 pm

December of 2019 “Trae Young Involved in 'Emotional' Locker Room Scene After Hawks Loss. Atlanta Hawks star Trae Young is unsurprisingly getting tired of the team's struggles.”

Get Trae some HELP!!!!
Squigglepuffin
Junior
And1: 300

Post#888 » by Squigglepuffin » Sat Oct 3, 2020 1:18 am

Hi everyone. I'm not a Hawks fan or a Minnesota fan I was just curious how positively or negatively (which I'm expecting) Hawks fans would be if Minnesota were to offer the first pick in the draft to Atlanta for John Collins. Again, I do expect Hawks fans to say it's a terrible idea and Minnesota would have to include both Towns, Russell, and 3 future 1st rounders to get the deal done :) but still I was just curious...
jayu70
RealGM

Post#889 » by jayu70 » Sat Oct 3, 2020 1:24 am

Squigglepuffin wrote:Hi everyone. I'm not a Hawks fan or a Minnesota fan I was just curious how positively or negatively (which I'm expecting) Hawks fans would be if Minnesota were to offer the first pick in the draft to Atlanta for John Collins. Again, I do expect Hawks fans to say it's a terrible idea and Minnesota would have to include both Towns, Russell, and 3 future 1st rounders to get the deal done :) but still I was just curious...

Hawks would like to make the playoffs next season. Collins is currently the only PF on the team. Trading him for a pick in THIS draft does not further the playoff cause.
Collins+ will only be available for a trade to get a significantly better player than him, so not a pick in a draft that lacks the high end franchise star.
Squigglepuffin
Junior
And1: 300

Post#890 » by Squigglepuffin » Sat Oct 3, 2020 1:31 am

jayu70 wrote:
Squigglepuffin wrote:Hi everyone. I'm not a Hawks fan or a Minnesota fan I was just curious how positively or negatively (which I'm expecting) Hawks fans would be if Minnesota were to offer the first pick in the draft to Atlanta for John Collins. Again, I do expect Hawks fans to say it's a terrible idea and Minnesota would have to include both Towns, Russell, and 3 future 1st rounders to get the deal done :) but still I was just curious...

Hawks would like to make the playoffs next season. Collins is currently the only PF on the team. Trading him for a pick in THIS draft does not further the playoff cause.
Collins+ will only be available for a trade to get a significantly better player than him, so not a pick in a draft that lacks the high end franchise star.

I do agree that this isn't a good draft at all. It's a pretty bad draft, and I personally feel like there aren't many players (if any at all) that will end up being as good as Collins. Each GM is different though and obviously evaluate players and project players differently. A bunch of teams say Collins is too thin and his defense isn't great, that it's now a guard or wings league.

Again, if I were the Wolves I would make the hypothetical trade because I think Collins is as good or better than anyone in this draft is likely to become, and if I were the Hawks I wouldn't make the trade - but I'm just curious to know what Hawks fans think or if they're split on the idea.
jayu70
RealGM

Post#891 » by jayu70 » Sat Oct 3, 2020 1:47 am

Squigglepuffin wrote:
jayu70 wrote:

I do agree that this isn't a good draft at all. It's a pretty bad draft, and I personally feel like there aren't many players (if any at all) that will end up being as good as Collins. Each GM is different though and obviously evaluate players and project players differently. A bunch of teams say Collins is too thin and his defense isn't great, that it's now a guard or wings league.

Again, if I were the Wolves I would make the hypothetical trade because I think Collins is as good or better than anyone in this draft is likely to become, and if I were the Hawks I wouldn't make the trade - but I'm just curious to know what Hawks fans think or if they're split on the idea.

Most (if not all) Hawks fans would NOT make this trade.
Any talk of Collins being too thin is in regards to playing Center full time. He played a lot at center this season because we had a putrid rotation of Len, Jones and a rookie. He works as a small ball Center in limited minutes. His defense is a work in progress and has improved every year in the league. Having Capela at Center for next season should help him a lot in that regard.
Per our GM: The plan is to continue to build the team around the 'Core 5' (Trae, Huerter, Reddish, Hunter, Collins) and Capela. Upgrade the bench using the ~$42 million in capspace.
Regarding Wings - we are hoping that at least on the Trio of Huerter, Reddish and Hunter can take the next step next season. We may also select one of the many available wings at #6. Per the GM: he will take BPA at #6, or trade it if he gets a deal too good to pass up.
kg01
General Manager
And1: 12,630

Post#892 » by kg01 » Sat Oct 3, 2020 2:50 am

Jamaaliver wrote:

Spoiler:

So, for you, Cam isn't great .... but you're thinking he can be part of some superstar trade? Interesting.

And shame on the hawks for turning down all them Teague-for-Irving and Teague-for-Westbrook deals ... oh, those didn't happen? Weird.

I hate when people do this. If someone says Cam is untouchable, they aren't saying if LAL offered Lebron they'd say no. They're acknowledging those deals don't exist so there's no need to even discuss. Of the realistic deals that are presumably out there, the preference would usually be to simply keep reddish. That's what "untouchable" means. But I'm thinking you knew that but just decided to take the opportunity to question everybody else's intelligence and accuse folks of homerism.

So mean, jamall.
king01 :king:
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#893 » by Jamaaliver » Sat Oct 3, 2020 3:31 am

kg01 wrote:So, for you, Cam isn't great...but you're thinking he can be part of some superstar trade? Interesting.

You lost me.

A poster stopped by inquiring if we'd trade Reddish for #2 + Eric Paschall. Others here stated there's no way they'd even consider it. That Reddish is untradeable.

Spoiler:
kg01 wrote:There's no way I'm trading Cam for that package.

King Ken wrote:There is no way I would even trade Cam.
I think it's short-sighted from a team building perspective to not even consider it. The goal is to build a championship caliber roster around Trae Young. Collins could be a part of that. Reddish could be a part of that in a few years...but there's no guarantee.

Top-10 players win titles. Trae is already on that trajectory. I'm not sure Reddish is.
jayu70
RealGM

Post#894 » by jayu70 » Sat Oct 3, 2020 3:47 am

Jamaaliver wrote:
kg01 wrote:So, for you, Cam isn't great...but you're thinking he can be part of some superstar trade? Interesting.

You lost me.

A poster stopped by inquiring if we'd trade Reddish for #2 + Eric Paschall. Others here stated there's no way they'd even consider it. That Reddish is untradeable.

Spoiler:
kg01 wrote:There's no way I'm trading Cam for that package.

King Ken wrote:There is no way I would even trade Cam.
I think it's short-sighted from a team building perspective to not even consider it. The goal is to build a championship caliber roster around Trae Young. Collins could be a part of that. Reddish could be a part of that in a few years...but there's no guarantee.

Top-10 players win titles. Trae is already on that trajectory. I'm not sure Reddish is.

He said Collins or Reddish.
How do you rate this draft at #2 vs Reddish?
CP War Hawks
Analyst
And1: 1,434

Post#895 » by CP War Hawks » Sat Oct 3, 2020 8:02 am

kg01 wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:

Spoiler:

So, for you, Cam isn't great .... but you're thinking he can be part of some superstar trade? Interesting.

And shame on the hawks for turning down all them Teague-for-Irving and Teague-for-Westbrook deals ... oh, those didn't happen? Weird.

I hate when people do this. If someone says Cam is untouchable, they aren't saying if LAL offered Lebron they'd say no. They're acknowledging those deals don't exist so there's no need to even discuss. Of the realistic deals that are presumably out there, the preference would usually be to simply keep reddish. That's what "untouchable" means. But I'm thinking you knew that but just decided to take the opportunity to question everybody else's intelligence and accuse folks of homerism.

So mean, jamall.

Yep, everyone can get touched instead of Trae cause he's a once in a decade to 20 year player. My personal point is it's advantageous for this team to keep adding prospects until four pockets are full. While I'd like to see them playoff bound, the bigger picture is securing a a good pick in a promising draft next season and be players in the 2021 off season.

Try to develop yearly high end prospects. Help Collins reach his next level. Get Huerter to 45-40-90 if possible. Try to find the best role for Hunter, etc. We've seen the Hawks make the playoffs 10 yrs straight which was pleasant to watch and all. The early years should be seminar for Ressler to learn from. He seems hell bent on making the playoffs which is fine I guess. Odds make it worth it to stealth tank as an option however...

Anywho, just wanted to say you trade Collins, Reddish, future unpro pick for Giannis/other superstar if it comes down to it. Just don't gut your team for one player.
shakes0
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,960

Post#896 » by shakes0 » Sat Oct 3, 2020 1:46 pm

Little Digger wrote:
Spud2nique wrote:I just checked the votes above. The most popular is trading into the top 3? Really? I’m for staying at 3 or a possible trade down. It might be just me but I love our guys and don’t want to part with any just yet, even Huerter and definitely not Collins.

Lot of bogus trades out there adding Collins into the mix like he’s a salary add on to match or something.

In all honestly, I like Collins overall game better than KAT. I dunno maybe it’s just me. Collins has speed and versatility that many can’t match.
I watched quite a few Hawks games early last season and became a fan of Collins and Reddish..Would definitely be willing to give up the W’s #2 overall and Paschall for 1 of those guys

would've been tough to become a fan of collins and Reddish early in the season with Collins suspended first 25 games and Reddish playing like ass the first few months. maybe you meant February and March?

As for your trade, it's awful. Wouldn't trade either one of those guys for #2 in this draft.
myrak433
Sixth Man

Post#897 » by myrak433 » Sat Oct 3, 2020 3:22 pm

Ok no one is absolutely untouchable for a trade. If a trade would make a NBA championship almost certain, you make that trade. In saying that. No team would trade you a superstar lake LeBron, KD, or Kawhi for anyone on the Hawks roster. Those three players (in my opinion) are the only players I would trade Young for. It would never happen, so Trae IS untouchable. As far as Cam it would take players like Tatum, Luka, or Dam (players of that elk), it would never happen. So Cam is untouchable. Collins and Capela are very valuable to the Hawks so it would take a trade that significantly upgraded the team to move them (all star or a player that puts up all star type numbers). Hunter has great upside as a 3&D high in roll player, so a high in roll player that has already reached their (or really close to) needs to be in the trade package. Huerter projects to be a nice complimentary player that shoots well from the perimeter and can run the offense in limited minutes, so would move with added value for a upgrade.

But no one is truly absolutely not for trade........ Trae is the closes.

Get Trae some HELP!!!!
graymule
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,421

Post#898 » by graymule » Sat Oct 3, 2020 5:43 pm

:o

Ain't life strange. Hawks are in the midst of our "grow your own" team. They have added two very good players - - Skal and Capela. Now that we feel pretty good about our roster, fans of other teams would like it if we traded with their team.

This is good news. Other fans like our players. No. Hawks don't want to trade them away. In a reasonable trade offer, the answer is no. We all believe that those unreasonable trade offers will not happen. But, you never really know. Strange things happen. Teams become desperate. They have a player who demands a trade. Or, the team may be well over the payroll limit and want to save a boat load of $$$.

As for our #6 draft position, I personally want Tyresse Haliburton. Hawks may trade up or down. They are not desperate. A good offer could cause Atlanta to move. And, they may sign a free agent or two along the way. Just don't hope we break up our core.

:D
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#899 » by Jamaaliver » Sat Oct 3, 2020 11:20 pm

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#900 » by Jamaaliver » Sat Oct 3, 2020 11:47 pm

jayu70 wrote:How do you rate this draft at #2 vs Reddish?

I believe Hawks fans value Reddish much more than the rest of the league does. He isn't a franchise caliber player by any means. But he has a solid chance to be a long-time building block.

LaMelo Ball likely appeals to franchises like NYK, Charlotte, Detroit as a franchise player...and they're likely to overpay for the chance to build around him.

Return to Atlanta Hawks