NBA 2020 Draft Prospects Thread

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,253

Re: NBA 2020 Draft Prospects Thread 

Post#301 » by Catchall » Sat Oct 3, 2020 4:02 pm

GobertReport wrote:I want the guy from Maryland, could end up being the player we wanted Favors to be.

Jalen Smith? It's not clear that he'll be able to defend at the 4, but maybe.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,737

Post#302 » by AingesBurner » Sat Oct 3, 2020 9:51 pm

Catchall wrote:
GobertReport wrote:I want the guy from Maryland, could end up being the player we wanted Favors to be.

Yes, he’s 6’10” and 215, I think he should have the mobility.
Ingles is cooked.
Catchall
RealGM

Post#303 » by Catchall » Sat Oct 3, 2020 10:03 pm

I don't know about his defense and coachability, but just in terms of offensive ability, I think Reggie Perry can be comparable to Al Horford or Paul Millsap. I still think he's underrated by draft mocks.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,022

Post#304 » by SoCalJazzFan » Sun Oct 4, 2020 4:31 am

Tyler Bey? Good size for a 3D wing and could even play small ball 4. I love his defense, and his shot has promise.
SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach

Post#305 » by SoCalJazzFan » Sun Oct 4, 2020 4:33 am

Catchall wrote:

I see him as Jerami Grant plus, as in longer and more developed coming into league, but with similar play style and role as Grant. I like him.
SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach

Post#306 » by SoCalJazzFan » Sun Oct 4, 2020 5:25 am

Catchall wrote:I don't know about his defense and coachability, but just in terms of offensive ability, I think Reggie Perry can be comparable to Al Horford or Paul Millsap. I still think he's underrated by draft mocks.

It’s like he is everything we hoped Favors could be offensively, but he couldn’t hold Favors jock strap defensively. I think he’s a risk.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,291

Post#307 » by babyjax13 » Sun Oct 4, 2020 7:57 pm

SoCalJazzFan wrote:Tyler Bey? Good size for a 3D wing and could even play small ball 4. I love his defense, and his shot has promise.

He's a power forward, he won't play the three, at least not effectively. I like him a lot, though, I think he'd be a perfect fit with our roster as-is.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#308 » by AingesBurner » Sun Oct 4, 2020 10:21 pm

SoCalJazzFan wrote:
Catchall wrote:

I see him as Jerami Grant plus, as in longer and more developed coming into league, but with similar play style and role as Grant. I like him.

He’s the perfect 4.
Ingles is cooked.
SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach

Post#309 » by SoCalJazzFan » Mon Oct 5, 2020 9:20 pm

babyjax13 wrote:
SoCalJazzFan wrote:Tyler Bey? Good size for a 3D wing and could even play small ball 4. I love his defense, and his shot has promise.

He's a power forward, he won't play the three, at least not effectively. I like him a lot, though, I think he'd be a perfect fit with our roster as-is.

Maybe akin to Branon Clarke? He's turned out pretty good for Memphis so far, and I agree a tough defender wit length who can shoot from 3 would be a great player to have on this team.
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#310 » by babyjax13 » Mon Oct 5, 2020 9:23 pm

SoCalJazzFan wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:

Maybe akin to Branon Clarke? He's turned out pretty good for Memphis so far, and I agree a tough defender wit length who can shoot from 3 would be a great player to have on this team.

That's exactly who I have in mind, or Jerami Grant, something like that.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Post#311 » by KqWIN » Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:28 pm

BTW, Locke has already started some draft "analysis". I'm not sure how Covid will affect #LockeWatch. I imagine that Locke is not around the process as much given the circumstances...but given that #LockeWatch is still undefeated I figure it is still worth dissecting. First #LockeWatch prospect is....Jalen Smith.

Notes:

- Good pedigree. Top HS recruit, accomplished college player, surprised that he's in UTA's range.
- Dominated in conference play. Reminds him of Donovan's college season.
- Skinny long, lacks size (strength)
- Quick release, good touch, shoots on the way up which should allow him to extend range
- Active but not impactful on defense
- Makes plays that makes you say "wow". NBA plays.
- Covers a lot of ground on strides. One dribble from 3 point line to basket
- Not great in post on either end, doesn't matter in NBA
- Needs to get better setting picks/making himself available
- This draft is supposed to be bad, can't believe he might be available
- Athleticism + Skill combination is exciting
- Great transition numbers, never isolated, doesn't pass, below average roll/pop guy.
- Shooting numbers are just ok, but he's 6'10 and a super athlete

Watched another game vs Minnesota

- Got outplayed by Daniel Oturu
- Spacing sucks in college which effects is roll game
- Bad closeouts, weird balance/heavy feet
- Plays hard
- Needs to gain size/strength but thinks he will get there
- Was less impressive than game against Michigan St, but still high on his list

Got the vibe that this is Locke's personal analysis, and not some insider info...but we'll see how his opinion changes over time. I still think that David Locke leaking the draft decision year after year is one of the funniest, niche things about being a die hard Jazz fan :lol:
AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#312 » by AingesBurner » Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:20 am

KqWIN wrote:BTW, Locke has already started some draft "analysis". I'm not sure how Covid will affect #LockeWatch. I imagine that Locke is not around the process as much given the circumstances...but given that #LockeWatch is still undefeated I figure it is still worth dissecting. First #LockeWatch prospect is....Jalen Smith.

Notes:

- Good pedigree. Top HS recruit, accomplished college player, surprised that he's in UTA's range.
- Dominated in conference play. Reminds him of Donovan's college season.
- Skinny long, lacks size (strength)
- Quick release, good touch, shoots on the way up which should allow him to extend range
- Active but not impactful on defense
- Makes plays that makes you say "wow". NBA plays.
- Covers a lot of ground on strides. One dribble from 3 point line to basket
- Not great in post on either end, doesn't matter in NBA
- Needs to get better setting picks/making himself available
- This draft is supposed to be bad, can't believe he might be available
- Athleticism + Skill combination is exciting
- Great transition numbers, never isolated, doesn't pass, below average roll/pop guy.
- Shooting numbers are just ok, but he's 6'10 and a super athlete

Watched another game vs Minnesota

- Got outplayed by Daniel Oturu
- Spacing sucks in college which effects is roll game
- Bad closeouts, weird balance/heavy feet
- Plays hard
- Needs to gain size/strength but thinks he will get there
- Was less impressive than game against Michigan St, but still high on his list

Got the vibe that this is Locke's personal analysis, and not some insider info...but we'll see how his opinion changes over time. I still think that David Locke leaking the draft decision year after year is one of the funniest, niche things about being a die hard Jazz fan :lol:

If we don’t trade our pick we need Jalen Smith at pretty much all costs.
Ingles is cooked.
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#313 » by KqWIN » Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:27 am

SoCalJazzFan wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:

Looking back, Brandon Clarke was an exceptional prospect and it's ridiculous that he fell so far, and for what, having short arms? That guy was ridiculous in college. He was Zion esque around the basket with excellent touch, mid range shooting, crazy stocks, and decent passing. He was freak athlete with a lot of skill.

As for Bey, I don't think he's nearly as athletic and nowhere near as skilled. He also played more like a wing in college (poorly) while Clarke was dominant big around the basket. Bey isn't the can't miss prospect like Clarke was, but I still think he can be a useful player. I could see him being another Derrick Jones Jr. or Mo Harkless.
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#314 » by babyjax13 » Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:38 am

KqWIN wrote:
SoCalJazzFan wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:

Looking back, Brandon Clarke was an exceptional prospect and it's ridiculous that he fell so far, and for what, having short arms? That guy was ridiculous in college. He was Zion esque around the basket with excellent touch, mid range shooting, crazy stocks, and decent passing. He was freak athlete with a lot of skill.

As for Bey, I don't think he's nearly as athletic and nowhere near as skilled. He also played more like a wing in college (poorly) while Clarke was dominant big around the basket. Bey isn't the can't miss prospect like Clarke was, but I still think he can be a useful player. I could see him being another Derrick Jones Jr. or Mo Harkless.

Honestly I think if we knew he would fall I would hope we would not have traded the pick.

JColl
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#315 » by KqWIN » Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:45 am

babyjax13 wrote:
KqWIN wrote:
SoCalJazzFan wrote:Maybe akin to Branon Clarke? He's turned out pretty good for Memphis so far, and I agree a tough defender wit length who can shoot from 3 would be a great player to have on this team.

Honestly I think if we knew he would fall I would hope we would not have traded the pick.

I don't think it's crazy to think that Clarke would be in contention for #1 overall in this year's draft. Obi Toppin is a top 5 prospect, and everyone knows that his defense is a big question mark. Brandon Clarke is similar to Toppin on offense but his defense was considered his strength.
SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach

Post#316 » by SoCalJazzFan » Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:48 pm

KqWIN wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:
KqWIN wrote:

I don't think it's crazy to think that Clarke would be in contention for #1 overall in this year's draft. Obi Toppin is a top 5 prospect, and everyone knows that his defense is a big question mark. Brandon Clarke is similar to Toppin on offense but his defense was considered his strength.

Clarke was a high energy rebounder in college with some rim protection. I was high on him, but others questioned exactly what his role would be as he wasn't tall or long enough to be a rim protector and didn't attempt enough shots, particularly 3pt shots, to know if he could end up being an effective stretch pf. Bey doesn't have the hops of Clarke, but does have a more refined perimeter game on both defense and offense. Maybe somewhere between Thybulle and Clarke for comparison purposes, which wouldn't be a bad player to have picked in the 20s.

I actually think that there are several players who could end up being decent selections at #23, including Green, Smith, Bey, and others. In a normal draft you might get these guys in the high 20s and low 30s, but they still have promise as potentially a decent starter and likely a role player.
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#317 » by babyjax13 » Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:01 pm

SoCalJazzFan wrote:
KqWIN wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:

Clarke was a high energy rebounder in college with some rim protection. I was high on him, but others questioned exactly what his role would be as he wasn't tall or long enough to be a rim protector and didn't attempt enough shots, particularly 3pt shots, to know if he could end up being an effective stretch pf. Bey doesn't have the hops of Clarke, but does have a more refined perimeter game on both defense and offense. Maybe somewhere between Thybulle and Clarke for comparison purposes, which wouldn't be a bad player to have picked in the 20s.

I actually think that there are several players who could end up being decent selections at #23, including Green, Smith, Bey, and others. In a normal draft you might get these guys in the high 20s and low 30s, but they still have promise as potentially a decent starter and likely a role player.

I think Bey has the hops, but not the length (really, height), which is essentially the same effect, but he looks to be a pretty unique athlete. If we went for an 'all energy' draft, I'd love to see Bey in the first round and Nate Hinton in the 2nd.

JColl
Catchall
RealGM

Post#318 » by Catchall » Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:19 am

If Poku, Tyrell Terry or RJ Hampton slip to #23, I think the Jazz will take one of them. Slim chance that Maxey falls as well.

Otherwise, I think the Jazz will look at McDaniels and Green. I'd say Maledon too, but I think his lack of burst could hold him back.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
Hoops Addict
Sixth Man
And1: 164

Post#319 » by Hoops Addict » Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:16 pm

Jazz take Maledon or Green.
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#320 » by babyjax13 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:48 pm

I don't understand (a) why people are excited about Maledon, but (b) specifically why we would want him here. That would be doubling down on adding a player at a completely unneeded position. We already have Mitchell and Conley, certainly no need for a point guard unless they have amazing upside - and Maledon doesn't strike me as that guy. I think he could be solid, but I also worry that his lack of burst is going to really hurt his nba upside (which I think a high end outcome for him is someone like Tomas Satoransky with a bit better shooting, or Delon Wright without the defense).

JColl

Return to Utah Jazz