ImageImageImage

2020 NBA Draft Thread, Part 2 -- (8PM, Wed, Nov. 18, ESPN)

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,802

2020 NBA Draft Thread, Part 2 -- (8PM, Wed, Nov. 18, ESPN) 

Post#1 » by Parliament10 » Sat Oct 3, 2020 1:07 am

Read on Twitter

The Wall of Shame
100proof (146)
djFan71 (105)
Bleeding Green (97)
themoneyteam2 (95)
bucknersrevenge (94)
SmartWentCrazy (93)
playa-hater (75)
Cuban Pete (65)
big-shot-ROB (61)
Parliament10 (53)
hugepatsfan (52)
winsomme2 (49)
snowman (48)
Homerclease (43)
CelticsPride18 (42)
31to6 (42)
threrf23 (39)
BostonCouchGM (39)
JHTruth (38)
Squigglepuffin (29)
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Squigglepuffin
Junior
And1: 300

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Thread, Part 2 

Post#2 » by Squigglepuffin » Sat Oct 3, 2020 1:12 am

Floody100 wrote:Thoughts on trading all 3 first round picks with Detroit to get Wiseman ?

Wiseman could essentially be another Andre Drummond, which in today's NBA isn't exactly a good thing.

He is slow off his feet, takes forever to get his jump shot off, and as strange as it sounds, he comes across as somewhat uncoordinated to me - too big to make a lot of fluid movements like a massive bodybuilder would be limited in certain movements.

He also reminds me of a bigger Marvin Bagley but not in a good way. Also he's got great top speed, but in the half court from a stand still his acceleration isn't great.

Okongwu could essentially be another Clint Capela, which again is not exactly a good thing in today's NBA and I'm surprised people are unable to see that. The comparisons to Bam Adebayo aren't apt imo and are more a product of comparing him with a flavor of the month who has the same physical profile rather than actually stepping back and really analysing.

This isn't a good draft at all. It's one of the weakest drafts (if not the weakest) of the past ten years so if we were to move up any year this would be the year. Personally I'd either stay where we are with the picks, trade the picks for underrated players already in the NBA atm, or at 14 just draft one of several players that could be available.

An option I would consider if I was Minnesota would be trading the first pick in the draft to Atlanta for John Collins if Atlanta aren't too enthusiastic on resigning him. There aren't many players from this draft I'm confident will end up as good as him.
playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 18,429

Post#3 » by playa-hater » Sat Oct 3, 2020 1:33 am

Squigglepuffin wrote:
Floody100 wrote:Thoughts on trading all 3 first round picks with Detroit to get Wiseman ?

Wiseman could essentially be another Andre Drummond, which in today's NBA isn't exactly a good thing.

He is slow off his feet, takes forever to get his jump shot off, and as strange as it sounds, he comes across as somewhat uncoordinated to me - too big to make a lot of fluid movements like a massive bodybuilder would be limited in certain movements.

He also reminds me of a bigger Marvin Bagley but not in a good way. Also he's got great top speed, but in the half court from a stand still his acceleration isn't great.

Okongwu could essentially be another Clint Capela, which again is not exactly a good thing in today's NBA and I'm surprised people are unable to see that. The comparisons to Bam Adebayo aren't apt imo and are more a product of comparing him with a flavor of the month who has the same physical profile rather than actually stepping back and really analysing.

This isn't a good draft at all. It's one of the weakest drafts (if not the weakest) of the past ten years so if we were to move up any year this would be the year. Personally I'd either stay where we are with the picks, trade the picks for underrated players already in the NBA atm, or at 14 just draft one of several players that could be available.

An option I would consider if I was Minnesota would be trading the first pick in the draft to Atlanta for John Collins if Atlanta aren't too enthusiastic on resigning him. There aren't many players from this draft I'm confident will end up as good as him.

I think your description would be closer to Wiseman's floor, but I definitely wouldn't make that trade..
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,627

Post#4 » by Fencer reregistered » Sat Oct 3, 2020 1:39 am

A weak draft in a year where evaluations are particular difficult suggests that the cliche of later picks being almost as valuable as earlier ones has a lot of merit. That said, if guys have great pure athleticism, that's as knowable as ever. And if guys are really great human beings and/or students of the game, you don't need perfect checking to figure that out. It's the ones between those two extremes where evaluations will be particularly difficult.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
Squigglepuffin
Junior

Post#5 » by Squigglepuffin » Sat Oct 3, 2020 1:39 am

playa-hater wrote:
Squigglepuffin wrote:

I think your description would be closer to Wiseman's floor, but I definitely wouldn't make that trade..

You wouldn't make the trade if you were Minnesota, or you wouldn't make the trade if you were Atlanta?
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,221

Post#6 » by djFan71 » Sat Oct 3, 2020 2:08 am

Oy. I'm dreading the Trade Thread WoS.
BostonCouchGM
Head Coach
And1: 4,857

Post#7 » by BostonCouchGM » Sat Oct 3, 2020 3:08 am

it gets tiring every year reading everyone parrot the so-called experts claiming the upcoming draft is a weak class. Besides 2017, seemingly every year they say this and every year they've been dead wrong. It's worse this year because of the lost season so these supposed scouts have so little information to go on therefore the talking heads who rely on these usually clueless scouts are in the dark like never before. I promise you at each of our picks, there'll be a potential starter or even star, available to draft. Almost assuredly Danny will choose the wrong player though. And like after most of his drafts, I'll be left on an island telling everyone how bad the picks were, hammered by everyone for it, only to be proven right once games start or year(s) down the road when they don't amount to anything special. But who knows, maybe this will be the year Danny knocks it out of the park and saves our season and salvages the last vestiges of his war chest and of course if that happens, his apologists will conveniently forget all the wasted picks.

The more I study up on this draft class and read the various mocks and Big Boards, the more excited I become because if they're at all accurate it means some of the best players in this draft will fall to us like with what happened last year. I was shocked at each of our picks at who was still on the board. Of course, Danny screwed it up, but still. This is similar to last year where the idiots who run these bad teams in the lottery who don't know what they're doing, will take big names instead of great projectable players. This bodes well for us.
Kalela
RealGM
And1: 11,488

Post#8 » by Kalela » Sat Oct 3, 2020 3:25 am

BostonCouchGM wrote:The more I study up on this draft class and read the various mocks and Big Boards, the more excited I become because if they're at all accurate it means some of the best players in this draft will fall to us like with what happened last year. I was shocked at each of our picks at who was still on the board. Of course, Danny screwed it up, but still. This is similar to last year where the idiots who run these bad teams in the lottery who don't know what they're doing, will take big names instead of great projectable players. This bodes well for us.

Can you name some of these players so we can see how good you are at evaluating talent.
Fire Mazzulla
playa-hater
RealGM

Post#9 » by playa-hater » Sat Oct 3, 2020 5:14 am

Squigglepuffin wrote:
playa-hater wrote:
Squigglepuffin wrote:An option I would consider if I was Minnesota would be trading the first pick in the draft to Atlanta for John Collins if Atlanta aren't too enthusiastic on resigning him. There aren't many players from this draft I'm confident will end up as good as him.

You wouldn't make the trade if you were Minnesota, or you wouldn't make the trade if you were Atlanta?

For Boston..
playa-hater
RealGM

Post#10 » by playa-hater » Sat Oct 3, 2020 5:17 am

just for the record this Recent Mock on YouTube was very interesting because it was based on hundreds.. to .. a couple thousands of votes per team.. and some decent reasoning behind each one

You have to see it for yourself Boston fans..

but will add that I do like what players fell to our picks even if we didn't draft them. Gives me hope for the players I like.

Patsfan1081
RealGM
And1: 5,488

Post#11 » by Patsfan1081 » Sat Oct 3, 2020 8:29 pm

BostonCouchGM wrote:it gets tiring every year reading everyone parrot the so-called experts claiming the upcoming draft is a weak class. Besides 2017, seemingly every year they say this and every year they've been dead wrong. It's worse this year because of the lost season so these supposed scouts have so little information to go on therefore the talking heads who rely on these usually clueless scouts are in the dark like never before. I promise you at each of our picks, there'll be a potential starter or even star, available to draft. Almost assuredly Danny will choose the wrong player though. And like after most of his drafts, I'll be left on an island telling everyone how bad the picks were, hammered by everyone for it, only to be proven right once games start or year(s) down the road when they don't amount to anything special. But who knows, maybe this will be the year Danny knocks it out of the park and saves our season and salvages the last vestiges of his war chest and of course if that happens, his apologists will conveniently forget all the wasted picks.

The more I study up on this draft class and read the various mocks and Big Boards, the more excited I become because if they're at all accurate it means some of the best players in this draft will fall to us like with what happened last year. I was shocked at each of our picks at who was still on the board. Of course, Danny screwed it up, but still. This is similar to last year where the idiots who run these bad teams in the lottery who don't know what they're doing, will take big names instead of great projectable players. This bodes well for us.

Well Wisemann was manhandled by Mobley as a senior in high school and many believe Mobley is the 5-10 best prospect in the following class. It’s considered weak because the so called top high school recruits severely underperformed and we didn’t really see any freshman outplay there previous stock. What previous class was similar? Look at the previous year, both Zion and Morant looked much better than advertised in college, who could you say that about this year?
Patsfan1081
RealGM
And1: 5,488

Post#12 » by Patsfan1081 » Sat Oct 3, 2020 8:34 pm

Kalela wrote:
BostonCouchGM wrote:The more I study up on this draft class and read the various mocks and Big Boards, the more excited I become because if they're at all accurate it means some of the best players in this draft will fall to us like with what happened last year. I was shocked at each of our picks at who was still on the board. Of course, Danny screwed it up, but still. This is similar to last year where the idiots who run these bad teams in the lottery who don't know what they're doing, will take big names instead of great projectable players. This bodes well for us.

Can you name some of these players so we can see how good you are at evaluating talent.

Yeah I don’t remember the incredible talent that fell to us last year. Clarke, Little, and Porter seemed like the only ones that were considered as players who slid and Clarke is th only one really that had a productive rookie season. I admit Danny had a poor draft but it’s not like he missed on Giannis or someone.
31to6
RealGM
And1: 27,954

Post#13 » by 31to6 » Sat Oct 3, 2020 10:53 pm

Ay I made a wall of shame!
Okongwu
Okongwu
Okongwu
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
Floody100
Analyst
And1: 4,990

Post#14 » by Floody100 » Sat Oct 3, 2020 11:18 pm

As someone who doesn’t really watch much college ball & seeing who this board is most interested in from previous pages was just wondering where you’d rank these 4 players from player you want the most to player you’d take but least preferable out of the 4.
Nesmith
Bey
Vassell
Reed
?
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,847

Post#15 » by SmartWentCrazy » Sat Oct 3, 2020 11:55 pm

Squigglepuffin wrote:

Drummond is 100% my comp for Wiseman.
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,847

Post#16 » by SmartWentCrazy » Sat Oct 3, 2020 11:58 pm

The more I think about it, if we stick at 14 I want Poku
Darth Celtic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,013

Post#17 » by Darth Celtic » Sun Oct 4, 2020 1:21 am

SmartWentCrazy wrote:
Squigglepuffin wrote:

Guy with a Celtics logo on gb suggesting kemba 14 26 30 and a first next year for drummond. Can't make that **** up.

Sent from my moto g(7) using RealGM mobile app
MrDollarBills = MrWelchesBets
Squigglepuffin
Junior

Post#18 » by Squigglepuffin » Sun Oct 4, 2020 1:31 am

Darth Celtic wrote:
SmartWentCrazy wrote:
Squigglepuffin wrote:

Guy with a Celtics logo on gb suggesting kemba 14 26 30 and a first next year for drummond. Can't make that **** up.

Sent from my moto g(7) using RealGM mobile app

Does he realize what Drummond got traded to Cleveland for? Prob just a troll.
threrf23
RealGM
And1: 4,393

Post#19 » by threrf23 » Sun Oct 4, 2020 1:45 am

Floody100 wrote:As someone who doesn’t really watch much college ball & seeing who this board is most interested in from previous pages was just wondering where you’d rank these 4 players from player you want the most to player you’d take but least preferable out of the 4.
Nesmith
Bey
Vassell
Reed
?

Vassell is well above the others for me. Bey/Nesmith/Reed is something of a toss up, although I'm inclined to like Bey and Reed a bit more than I like Nesmith.
playa-hater
RealGM

Post#20 » by playa-hater » Sun Oct 4, 2020 1:53 am

Floody100 wrote:As someone who doesn’t really watch much college ball & seeing who this board is most interested in from previous pages was just wondering where you’d rank these 4 players from player you want the most to player you’d take but least preferable out of the 4.
Nesmith
Bey
Vassell
Reed
?

Haven't put much thought on Vassell since it seems no one thinks he will be there..

But S Bey and Nesmith are like heads or tails.. then P Reed of those 4..

I think a another tough choice for me is at 26, if Desmond Bane and P Reed are there.. One is a 2-3, while the other is a 4-5.. so it would depend on who we get at 14..

Return to Boston Celtics