ImageImageImage

Hayward Likely to OPT-IN to final year of contract!

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

What should be the next step after Hayward opts in?

Remain on team for another Playoff run
16%
Traded on draft night
38%
Traded at deadline
1%
Theres a belief Hayward and team wants to help facilitate a trade
20%
Should sign a team friendly extension
25%

Total votes: 88

ConstableGeneva
RealGM
And1: 87,014

Re: Hayward Likely to OPT-IN to final year of contract! 

Post#201 » by ConstableGeneva » Sat Oct 3, 2020 10:23 am

playa-hater wrote:I see no one is even giving the possibility that Hayward doesn't opt in, (maybe a long shot but possible) and Hayward signs a decent 4 year contract elsewhere, like Indy or Utah.. leaving Boston with nada..

Possible, but not with Indiana or Utah, who both don't have cap space to sign him outright.

Only three teams have projected cap space of above $30M -- Hawks, Knicks, Pistons.
░N░0░0░D░S░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░
MrGreenRunsDeep
Sixth Man
And1: 1,734

Post#202 » by MrGreenRunsDeep » Sat Oct 3, 2020 12:58 pm

Sorry Hayward .. can’t see you injured anymore ... you gotta go
Just a Fan From Toronto Canada who Loves the Boston Celtics & Toronto Raptors!
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,226

Post#203 » by Parliament10 » Sat Oct 3, 2020 3:10 pm

MrGreenRunsDeep wrote:Sorry Hayward .. can’t see you injured anymore ... you gotta go

Amen.
And Adiós.
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
themoneyteam2
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,287

Post#204 » by themoneyteam2 » Sat Oct 3, 2020 6:21 pm

If they don't plan to re-sign him after next year then you gotta think he'll be traded, right?
GoCeltics123
RealGM
And1: 32,641

Post#205 » by GoCeltics123 » Sat Oct 3, 2020 6:59 pm

themoneyteam2 wrote:If they don't plan to re-sign him after next year then you gotta think he'll be traded, right?

I'm pretty sure they want to re-sign him, at a discounted rate though.

To me best-case for Hayward is he opts out, and he takes less. I just don't see us getting any trade offer that makes us remotely better.
ConstableGeneva
RealGM

Post#206 » by ConstableGeneva » Sat Oct 3, 2020 7:10 pm

GoCeltics123 wrote:
themoneyteam2 wrote:If they don't plan to re-sign him after next year then you gotta think he'll be traded, right?

I'm pretty sure they want to re-sign him, at a discounted rate though.

To me best-case for Hayward is he opts out, and he takes less. I just don't see us getting any trade offer that makes us remotely better.

Same, man. That's where I'm at too.

He opts out and signs something like $100M/4 years declining. Cs can still duck the tax next season. Hayward is guaranteed the $34M he passed up and max of $66 more for 3 seasons ($22M/year) plus a chance to win a ring with Stevens. Decisions will be made on Kemba and Smart later on. Hayward's new contract is still tradeable, more attractive even.
MrGreenRunsDeep
Sixth Man
And1: 1,734

Post#207 » by MrGreenRunsDeep » Sun Oct 4, 2020 2:35 am

Just woke up from a ****** Dream ... Apparently we got Buddy hield, DeMar DeRozan by getting rid of Hayward lol ...
Just a Fan From Toronto Canada who Loves the Boston Celtics & Toronto Raptors!
BillTheGOAT
Starter
And1: 1,930

Post#208 » by BillTheGOAT » Sun Oct 4, 2020 8:31 am

MrGreenRunsDeep wrote:Just woke up from a ****** Dream ... Apparently we got Buddy hield, DeMar DeRozan by getting rid of Hayward lol ...

Thats a **** nightmare!
Floody100
Analyst
And1: 4,990

Post#209 » by Floody100 » Mon Oct 5, 2020 2:33 am

If the team is willing to go into the lux & keep him may as well try get Tristan Thompson as well.
If Hayward’s back again should he be the leader of our second unit ?
jmr07019
General Manager
And1: 7,755

Post#210 » by jmr07019 » Mon Oct 5, 2020 2:52 am

We are going to be paying Kemba, Tatum and Brown big money, Smart is due for a raise in the near future as is Theis. I don’t see paying Hayward even 4/80 as palatable for the ownership (too much total salary and lux tax) and most people expect Hayward to get much more than that. Makes a lot of sense to break Haywards salary slot into 2 or 3 players.
Show Love Spread Love
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,226

Post#211 » by Parliament10 » Tue Oct 6, 2020 4:10 am

jmr07019 wrote:We are going to be paying Kemba, Tatum and Brown big money, Smart is due for a raise in the near future as is Theis. I don’t see paying Hayward even 4/80 as palatable for the ownership (too much total salary and lux tax) and most people expect Hayward to get much more than that. Makes a lot of sense to break Haywards salary slot into 2 or 3 players.

I'm all for breaking up Hayward's salary into 2-3 lesser players.
We don't need such a powerful player, as a 4th option.

The timing just didn't work out.
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,529

Post#212 » by Fencer reregistered » Tue Oct 6, 2020 10:46 am

I'm going to go against consensus here, and say I'm in favor of keeping Hayward. Yes, his run of injuries may be more than bad luck, but that possibility will be more than baked into his trade value in any deal. Besides, he's only of significant value where he's likely to re-sign, and Boston is one of the likeliest places for that.

Part of the reason to keep Gordon is that of our five best perimeter players, one -- Kemba -- is very questionable to close games. So it would be nice to keep the other four. Overlappingly, Smart/Hayward/Brown/Tatum plus one of our more mobile bigs truly can be a switch-everything defensive unit.

Langford and Grant both seem like pretty good bets to be useful backup perimeter players next season (Grant mainly vs. stretch-4 types). Romeo may still have problems with his 3-pt shooting; Grant may still have problems with any offense except 3-pt shooting; that's why they'll just be backups. But that does suggest our depth could be decent.

The real challenge is beefing up our center-by-committee squad to be better able to defend the boogeymen -- AD, Jokic, Giannis, Bam, Embiid or whoever else might seem particularly scary. Unless jettisoning Hayward advances that in a big (no pun intended) way, I'd favor keeping him around.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
keevsnick1
Veteran
And1: 4,069

Post#213 » by keevsnick1 » Tue Oct 6, 2020 2:14 pm

One thing the Celtics may want to consider is their cap sheet. Going forward they have only two guys who are projected to be signed for more than three years, that's Brown and presumably Tatum when he signs his max extension. That means that in the summer of 2023 when Kemba come off the books you could conceivably generate max cap space next to Brown/Tatum on the roster. At that point Brown will be 26, Tatum 25. Extremely appealing for a max 3rd star.

So the problem with signing Hayward to an opt-out and extension is he may simple not fit that timeline, because any money owed to Hayward that year basically keeps them out of the max contract derby the summers of 23' or 24'. So basically if Hayward opts out you can't give him more than three years, and its very hard to make a 3 year contract worth the opt out for him financially given he's already owed 34 next year.

@dangercart, Celtics cap guru has a good right up of it included in his Celtics off-season preview for those who want to go read that.
ConstableGeneva
RealGM

Post#214 » by ConstableGeneva » Tue Oct 6, 2020 2:28 pm

If 2023 free agency is the consideration, Cs can offer Hayward $100M/4 yrs w/ 4th yr team option and if cap allows, partial guarantee on 4th year. Front-loaded contract so he gets more in 1st 3 yrs.

That's the max I'd offer. He still doesn't want that, then opt in and we'll trade you. Or opt out and we'll find an S&T partner.
jfs1000d
RealGM
And1: 13,963

Post#215 » by jfs1000d » Tue Oct 6, 2020 2:38 pm

Keep Hayward if he wants to stay here. Je’s a good player. If we can turn him into a high-level power forward with skills, obvioulsy you do that.

We can trade him if he opts in. If he opts out? I am not sure we resign him unless the AAV comes down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jfs1000d
RealGM

Post#216 » by jfs1000d » Tue Oct 6, 2020 2:39 pm

I like thenoptnout, resign 4 for 100, that guarantees him $66 million more than he is currently guaranteed. .

ConstableGeneva
RealGM

Post#217 » by ConstableGeneva » Tue Oct 6, 2020 2:56 pm

jfs1000d wrote:I like thenoptnout, resign 4 for 100, that guarantees him $66 million more than he is currently guaranteed. .

If Celtics want to be players in free agency after Kemba's contract comes off the books, they can't guarantee Hayward's final/fourth year. Maybe give a partial guarantee of whatever amount that wouldn't mess with max cap space in 2023. In any case, that's still a lot of money to turn down ($76M in 3 years + whatever partial guarantee they can give for the 4th yr) on a team that can get him to the Finals, playing for a coach he likes, and in a place his family has already settled.

Issues for him could be money (is he confident he can get much more in open market) and role (is he satisfied being the 4th or even 5th option sometimes).
keevsnick1
Veteran
And1: 4,069

Post#218 » by keevsnick1 » Tue Oct 6, 2020 6:16 pm

ConstableGeneva wrote:If 2023 free agency is the consideration, Cs can offer Hayward $100M/4 yrs w/ 4th yr team option and if cap allows, partial guarantee on 4th year. Front-loaded contract so he gets more in 1st 3 yrs.

That's the max I'd offer. He still doesn't want that, then opt in and we'll trade you. Or opt out and we'll find an S&T partner.

I don't think you want to risk any guarantee on the 4th year, because even a small salary hit can make it a lot harder to open up max cap space. And if that partial guarantee ends up mattering you still gotta move the whole contract.

But lets say you do front load, that would mean the guaranteed money is about 80/3 which feels like an overpay Hayward but which is only a 2/46 extension over what Hayward is currently making next season. My guess is Hayward thinks he can do better than that after next season, even if you add some partial guarantees on the fourth year. There will be quite a few team with money and many who will strike out on the big time free agent. Hayward will likely be a consolation prize for those teams.

So it may come down to how much of Hayward's motives are purely financial.
jfs1000d
RealGM

Post#219 » by jfs1000d » Tue Oct 6, 2020 6:23 pm

Only issue moving on from Gordon is playmaking.

There are a lot of ways to get to a title right now.

JHTruth
RealGM
And1: 2,511

Post#220 » by JHTruth » Tue Oct 6, 2020 6:44 pm

Parliament10 wrote:
jmr07019 wrote:We are going to be paying Kemba, Tatum and Brown big money, Smart is due for a raise in the near future as is Theis. I don’t see paying Hayward even 4/80 as palatable for the ownership (too much total salary and lux tax) and most people expect Hayward to get much more than that. Makes a lot of sense to break Haywards salary slot into 2 or 3 players.

I'm all for breaking up Hayward's salary into 2-3 lesser players.
We don't need such a powerful player, as a 4th option.

The timing just didn't work out.

What is Hayward's role? A 4/5th option, playmaking glue guy. A nice valuable guy but not a role that couldn't be filled by a number of players in the league/draft at a fraction of the cost.

No one should cry for Hayward despite the injuries. The Celtics have paid him over $100mm the last few years and received nearly no meaningful value for it. Trade him for the best package you can get. Resigning him at anything more than $10mm per is lunacy..

Return to Boston Celtics