ImageImageImage

Ben Simmons for the No. 1 Pick?

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Would you trade the No. 1 pick, Culver, Johnson, Spellman, and Evans for Ben Simmons?

Yes, in heart beat. All NBA defender and 3rd star to pair with KAT & DLo
86%
No, giving too much and Simmons can't shoot
14%

Total votes: 66

KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,652

Re: Ben Simmons for the No. 1 Pick? 

Post#121 » by KGdaBom » Sun Oct 4, 2020 2:00 am

Baseline81 wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
SO_MONEY wrote:No they cannot. FACTS. As pointed out they need to make the selection first, you cannot go two consecutive drafts without a pick and since our 2021 pick is outstanding we cannot go without a draft pick this year. Period.

Now you're wrong. Once we make a pick in the first round of this draft the Stepian rule no longer applies.

Actually, if you read what SO_MONEY wrote, he's correct. What I underlined matches to what you wrote.

The one I was quoting he said we couldn't trade a pick this year period. The truth is we can't trade both of our picks this year, but we can trade one after we pick one.
Battletrigger
Junior
And1: 199

Post#122 » by Battletrigger » Sun Oct 4, 2020 10:38 am

What a pointless discussion...
Neeva
Head Coach
And1: 2,169

Post#123 » by Neeva » Sun Oct 4, 2020 2:56 pm

Sadly probably right, I am fully prepared for Lamelo Ball to be on the wolves next season. Really hope he lives up to and surpasses the hype (at least the wolves will be on national tv more than once)
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#124 » by KGdaBom » Sun Oct 4, 2020 3:09 pm

Neeva wrote:Sadly probably right, I am fully prepared for Lamelo Ball to be on the wolves next season. Really hope he lives up to and surpasses the hype (at least the wolves will be on national tv more than once)

Do we really believe Ball is going to be this huge media attraction? I don't get it. All the stuff with the Ball family is old news already. It was big when Lonzo was coming out. I don't think Lamelo will sell any more tickets than Wiseman or Edwards would.

Who is going to go I wasn't interested in the Wolves, but now they have Ball give me some season tickets. Really?
shrink
RealGM
And1: 13,968

Post#125 » by shrink » Sun Oct 4, 2020 4:58 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
Neeva wrote:Sadly probably right, I am fully prepared for Lamelo Ball to be on the wolves next season. Really hope he lives up to and surpasses the hype (at least the wolves will be on national tv more than once)

Do we really believe Ball is going to be this huge media attraction? I don't get it. All the stuff with the Ball family is old news already. It was big when Lonzo was coming out. I don't think Lamelo will sell any more tickets than Wiseman or Edwards would.

Who is going to go I wasn't interested in the Wolves, but now they have Ball give me some season tickets. Really?

Regardless of whether it is a Ball or not, the first pick of the NBA draft almost always carries a lot of media spotlight, on one of the NBA’s brightest days, particularly with casual fans/potential new customers. The top pick gets national coverage. The player gets praised, the player gets panned, but regardless, he is the first name people will talk about.

In the end, I agree with you that LaMelo won’t necessarily sell many more tickets than Wiseman or Edwards - if Wiseman and Edwards were the first pick.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
Wolveswin
Head Coach
And1: 2,402

Post#126 » by Wolveswin » Mon Oct 5, 2020 3:54 pm

I think any Simmons to Wolves trade will involve a 3rd team, one who has a win-now player 76ers want. And ideally, that player is available for:

Johnson + Culver + #17 (filler as needed like Spellman)

Names on that list:
Paul from OKC
LaVine from Bulls
Holiday from Pelicans
Oladipo from Pacers
McCollum from Trailblazers
Murray from Spurs (maybe DeRozan?)

The value and willingness of 3rd team to say yes is for debate.

Beal would require #1 overall, so if 76ers want Beal they don’t get Ball.
moonpie
General Manager
And1: 2,684

Post#127 » by moonpie » Wed Oct 7, 2020 6:39 am

https://tradenba.com/trades/9Ek50n9WV

3 team, 4 player deal framework

Wolves in: Ben Simmons
Wolves out: James Johnson, #1 pick, #17 pick

Sixers in: Victor Oladipo, #1 pick
Sixers out: Ben Simmons, Josh Richardson

Pacers in: James Johnson, Josh Richardson, #17 pick
Pacers out: Victor Oladipo
Midw35t
Senior
And1: 564

Post#128 » by Midw35t » Wed Oct 7, 2020 8:36 am

Wolveswin wrote:I think any Simmons to Wolves trade will involve a 3rd team, one who has a win-now player 76ers want. And ideally, that player is available for:

Names on that list:
Paul from OKC
LaVine from Bulls
Holiday from Pelicans
Oladipo from Pacers

Personally, the only trade I want to see is one for a true SF or PF.

I'm comfortable with our PG and SG depth, and our starting C star.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#129 » by KGdaBom » Wed Oct 7, 2020 12:53 pm

Midw35t wrote:
Wolveswin wrote:I think any Simmons to Wolves trade will involve a 3rd team, one who has a win-now player 76ers want. And ideally, that player is available for:

Names on that list:
Paul from OKC
LaVine from Bulls
Holiday from Pelicans
Oladipo from Pacers

Ben Simmons would be a true PF, with the advantage of being a point PF.
Midw35t
Senior

Post#130 » by Midw35t » Wed Oct 7, 2020 4:46 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
Midw35t wrote:

Names on that list:
Paul from OKC
LaVine from Bulls
Holiday from Pelicans
Oladipo from Pacers

Yeah, I realize I misread. Was entirely focused on the trade proposal guards, not that it was to facilitate a 3 team deal for Simmons.

Even so, we are not landing Simmons without giving up the #1 pick.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#131 » by KGdaBom » Wed Oct 7, 2020 6:46 pm

Midw35t wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
Midw35t wrote:

Yeah, I realize I misread. Was entirely focused on the trade proposal guards, not that it was to facilitate a 3 team deal for Simmons.

Most definitely. :D
Wolveswin
Head Coach

Post#132 » by Wolveswin » Wed Oct 7, 2020 6:54 pm

Midw35t wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
Midw35t wrote:

That is the point of this thread.

#1 to 76ers

What else to 76ers?

3rd team is needed. See the post you responded to.
Midw35t
Senior

Post#133 » by Midw35t » Wed Oct 7, 2020 9:02 pm

Wolveswin wrote:
Midw35t wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:Ben Simmons would be a true PF, with the advantage of being a point PF.

#1 to 76ers

What else to 76ers?

I did not interpret that which you intended.

But you did not clarify that it was a second deal for a player + #1.

I'm not giving up #1, #17, JJ, Culver (whom Rosas traded up for at #6) for Simmons. I think Simmons does not fit with DLO. Simmons would be great defensively, but he needs the balls in his hands to be effective. So does DLO. Otherwise Simmons amounts to nothing on offense.

I would prefer to see the franchise surround DLO and KAT with shooters and at least one rim protecting big/wing.
Wolveswin
Head Coach

Post#134 » by Wolveswin » Wed Oct 7, 2020 9:34 pm

Midw35t wrote:
Wolveswin wrote:
Midw35t wrote:

#1 to 76ers

What else to 76ers?

I'm not giving up #1, #17, JJ, Culver (whom Rosas traded up for at #6) for Simmons. I think Simmons does not fit with DLO. Simmons would be great defensively, but he needs the balls in his hands to be effective. So does DLO. Otherwise Simmons amounts to nothing on offense.

I would prefer to see the franchise surround DLO and KAT with shooters and at least one rim protecting big/wing.

I didn’t clarify because whole thread is based on #1 for Simmons (them maybe wanting Ball). And the idea of a third team is to get something besides the #1 76ers would want using all the other assets required to get Simmons (Culver, #17, etc.).

If Rosas can get Simmons for just #1, that is great. I don’t think that idea is living in reality. It will take all Wolves assets and still might not even be enough.

As for fit, kind of a thread discussion in itself. Personally I think Simmons and Russell would compliment each other very well.

Russell is ball in hand player, but more of a dribbler in the half court set. He isn’t a lead or true bring the ball up kind of PG (being in transition or the set). Simmons excels at that. He is a true transition PG — just happens to be 6’10. He can handle those duties and let Russell be a off guard in transition.

And when the game slows to a half court set, Russell takes over. Simmons then makes his way to the paint. Most likely wide open because Towns is roaming for his 10+ 3 pointers per game and Hernangomez can be spotted up in corner.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#135 » by KGdaBom » Wed Oct 7, 2020 10:05 pm

Wolveswin wrote:
Midw35t wrote:
Wolveswin wrote:That is the point of this thread.

#1 to 76ers

What else to 76ers?

I didn’t clarify because whole thread is based on #1 for Simmons (them maybe wanting Ball). And the idea of a third team is to get something besides the #1 76ers would want using all the other assets required to get Simmons (Culver, #17, etc.).

If Rosas can get Simmons for just #1, that is great. I don’t think that idea is living in reality. It will take all Wolves assets and still might not even be enough.

As for fit, kind of a thread discussion in itself. Personally I think Simmons and Russell would compliment each other very well.

Russell is ball in hand player, but more of a dribbler in the half court set. He isn’t a lead or true bring the ball up kind of PG (being in transition or the set). Simmons excels at that. He is a true transition PG — just happens to be 6’10. He can handle those duties and let Russell be a off guard in transition.

And when the game slows to a half court set, Russell takes over. Simmons then makes his way to the paint. Most likely wide open because Towns is roaming for his 10+ 3 pointers per game and Hernangomez can be spotted up in corner.

I like the way you think except it taking all Wolves assets to get Simmons. #1, Culver, JJ and whatever other salary filler it takes.
Midw35t
Senior

Post#136 » by Midw35t » Wed Oct 7, 2020 11:24 pm

Wolveswin wrote:
Midw35t wrote:
Wolveswin wrote:That is the point of this thread.

#1 to 76ers

What else to 76ers?

All great points that I mostly agree with.

What happens to the rest of the team when we realize we have a penny pincher owner in Taylor?

Are DLO, Simmons, KAT enough to contend in the west? Or should we continue to build for 2 years; hope for an owner who will spend over the top?

Simmons can fit in theory. Is it a great fit? I do not think so. He takes the ball out of DLOs hands; which is where he shines.

I want to utilize our assets around DLO and KAT. I think Simmons marginalizes one of DLO's strengths.

The biggest issue for me is that Simmons cannot shoot. He will not shoot. That creates an easy defense report.

Can he defend well. Sure.

Does he fit our system? No.
Wolveswin
Head Coach

Post#137 » by Wolveswin » Wed Oct 7, 2020 11:49 pm

Midw35t wrote:
Wolveswin wrote:
Midw35t wrote:

What happens to the rest of the team when we realize we have a penny pincher owner in Taylor?

Are DLO, Simmons, KAT enough to contend in the west? Or should we continue to build for 2 years; hope for an owner who will spend over the top?

Simmons can fit in theory. Is it a great fit? I do not think so. He takes the ball out of DLOs hands; which is where he shines.

I want to utilize our assets around DLO and KAT. I think Simmons marginalizes one of DLO's strengths.

The biggest issue for me is that Simmons cannot shoot. He will not shoot. That creates an easy defense report.

That is where it is fun to debate. I think he is a great fit. To perfect fit. He compliments our superstar in Towns like a glove. That is always a good thing to make a teams star set up for best success.

As for money, this may be the 3 years of Wolves organization best chance to afford a big 3. All 3 would be on more affordable 2nd contract max. Remember, Simmons contract isn’t set, it will adjust to % of cap. No way Wolves ever have 3 max contracts when Towns requires 30 or 35% of cap (his 3rd max contract owed).

Simmons does more than defend well. All NBA first defensive team for a 23yo (mostly through season) in his 3rd season is very impressive. Someone I would be fine having on roster. Despite his lack of shooting — which is the only reason he MAY be in Wolves price point in trade. If he could shoot, 76ers wouldn’t answer Rosas call.
IceManBK1
Analyst
And1: 330

Post#138 » by IceManBK1 » Thu Oct 8, 2020 12:28 am

Read on Twitter

Ok...3 way b/w Min, Was, and Philly. Beal to Philly, #1 to Was, Simmons to Min. Might need to move some players around. Wiz need to rebuild. Wall is banged up with all those injuries. Having #1 pick would be a good start for them. They can select Edwards with the #1 pick.
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#139 » by Jedzz » Thu Oct 8, 2020 1:01 am

Back injury in February.
Knee injury in Bubble in August.

If they trade for him they better have some insurance in the deal guarding against him not lasting even a full season here.
Midw35t
Senior

Post#140 » by Midw35t » Thu Oct 8, 2020 3:02 am

Wolveswin wrote:
Midw35t wrote:
Wolveswin wrote:I didn’t clarify because whole thread is based on #1 for Simmons (them maybe wanting Ball). And the idea of a third team is to get something besides the #1 76ers would want using all the other assets required to get Simmons (Culver, #17, etc.).

That is where it is fun to debate. I think he is a great fit. To perfect fit. He compliments our superstar in Towns like a glove. That is always a good thing to make a teams star set up for best success.

As for money, this may be the 3 years of Wolves organization best chance to afford a big 3. All 3 would be on more affordable 2nd contract max. Remember, Simmons contract isn’t set, it will adjust to % of cap. No way Wolves ever have 3 max contracts when Towns requires 30 or 35% of cap (his 3rd max contract owed).

Simmons does more than defend well. All NBA first defensive team for a 23yo (mostly through season) in his 3rd season is very impressive. Someone I would be fine having on roster. Despite his lack of shooting — which is the only reason he MAY be in Wolves price point in trade. If he could shoot, 76ers wouldn’t answer Rosas call.

I am not going to argue if he is a good player or not, because he is.

Does he fit Towns? Surely you can make an argument.

Does he fit DLO and Towns? I dont think so.

Does he fit winning in the NBA playoffs? Absolutely not.

He is a great defender. He is not a rim protector.

He cant shoot. Will not shoot.

He does not fit here.

Simmons needs to be on a team where everything is built around him.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves