ImageImage

Prospect Spotlight -- Tyrese Haliburton

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

Is Ty Haliburton worth a lottery selection for our Hawks?

No way we're spending a top-10 pick on another PG
16%
Yes! The defense, shooting & playmaking are a perfect fit
53%
Maybe. Depends on who else is still available
32%

Total votes: 19

Spud2nique
General Manager
And1: 5,135

Re: Prospect Spotlight -- Tyrese Haliburton 

Post#81 » by Spud2nique » Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:11 am

Jamaaliver wrote:
2020 NBA Draft Big Board: Latest Top 80 Rankings

4. Tyrese Haliburton, G, Iowa State | Sophomore

Height: 6' 5" | Weight: 175 | Age: 20 | Previous Rank: 4

Although nearly everything about Haliburton’s game is unorthodox, his advanced on-court intellect, winning-conducive skill set and rapid trajectory are noteworthy, and they set him apart in some regard in a lottery where the talent gap between prospects is admittedly narrow. It’s easy to harp on the holes in his game—arduous shooting mechanics, unremarkable explosiveness, and a still-developing handle that could keep him from being a full-time point guard—but there’s a chance that those weaknesses are effectively masked by his savant-like approach to greasing the wheels of an offense. Haliburton doesn’t actually need to be a full-time point guard to wind up as one of the best players in this draft, and at worst, he profiles as a highly usable bench piece on a winning team. His real value lies in what his presence does for everyone else on his team, as a ball-moving facilitator who hits open threes and can augment any lineup.
SI.com

Sounds kind of like what Herro is doing in Miami. Straight up ballin out with no signs of slowing down anytime soon. Wouldn’t mind Hali and definitely want him for GM and the high ft%. :wink:
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,336

Post#82 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:58 pm

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#83 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:32 pm

NBA Draft targets for the Spurs: Tyrese Haliburton

What could the breakout Iowa State star bring to San Antonio?

In a draft class full of role-players, Tyrese Haliburton has set himself apart as a premium passing talent. And though a left wrist fracture put a premature end to his breakout sophomore campaign, let’s take a look at what the Iowa State point guard might bring to a crowded Hawks backcourt.

Tyrese Haliburton | Sophomore | Point Guard

Height: 6’5’’ Weight: 175 lbs Wingspan: 6’7.5’’

Per Game: 15.2 PPG/5.9 RPG/6.5 APG/2.5 SPG/0.7 BPG

Shooting Splits: .504 FG%/.419 3P%/.822 FT

Offense
Spoiler:
Tyrese Haliburton is one of the older lottery prospects in the 2020 Draft Class. Regardless, the sophomore point guard out of Iowa State University is one of the smartest and most NBA ready players at his position. A quick decision-maker with elite court vision, Haliburton is one of the best distributors entering the league. Skip, lob, swing, and pocket passes are all part of his polished live-dribble repertoire, and he is particularly dangerous as a pick-and-roll facilitator. While Tyrese isn’t as aggressive operating out of half-court sets, the six-five floor general is most confident and creative when pushing the pace in transition, manipulating the defense with his eyes.

Although an undoubtedly talented passer, Haliburton isn’t much of a threat to create for himself. Limited by relatively average ball-handling, the stringy guard rarely displayed many advanced moves, and he isn’t someone who looks to put combinations dribbles together to shake his man. Instead, Haliburton mostly relies on hesitations and ball, body, and head fakes to create space.

As far as scoring the ball, Haliburton is more likely to look for a teammate than attack. Despite his slight frame, the 175-pound guard showed proficiency finishing at the rim, though he took a surprisingly low volume of attempts from this range. A fluid athlete with a solid first step, long strides, sneaky pop, and a feathery-soft touch, Tyrese utilized change of pace with exceptional body control to convert around the basket, and a package of floaters and runners helped keep defenders guessing. Nevertheless, he only averaged 2.2 free throws per 40 minutes...

While some scouts question Haliburton’s long-distance jumper, I buy into it translating in the NBA. Strange foot placement, unorthodox form, and a face-level release aside, his set shooting motion is quick, consistent, and Haliburton proved to be an elite stand-still shooter with legitimate range throughout his college career (42.6% on 237 3PA). That being said, his mechanics really begin to break down when shooting off the dribble...though he likely has a bit of functionality shooting off screens, I’m not sure Haliburton will ever become a reliable motion shooter.

Defense
Spoiler:
Haliburton is one of the more underrated defenders in the 2020 Draft Class, and while his spindly build doesn’t allow for much switchability, his outstanding team defense would be a welcome addition to [any team]. He showed sound defensive awareness and instincts as a help-side defender in the NCAA, always communicating with teammates and routinely making correct rotations. He seldom ball-watched and was continuously engaged even when not directly involved in the action.

I would categorize Tyrese as more of a disciplined risk-taker than an all-out gambler, but that certainly didn’t stop him from being a defensive playmaker and menace in the passing lanes. His wingspan is listed at six-seven-and-a-half on the official NBA website, though it has been rumored to be as long as seven feet, and the latter wouldn’t shock me considering how often he got his hands on the ball. Haliburton averaged 2.5 steals and nearly one block per game as a sophomore. He frequently turned defense into offensive opportunities, though sometimes closed out too hard, exposing driving lanes. And while he won’t be a rim-protector in the NBA, he may be able to slide over from the weak-side to disrupt shots at the rim with his length.

Despite being an instrumental glue-guy as a team defender, Haliburton will probably be limited as an isolation defender. He is much too thin to effectively switch onto threes, fours, and fives, and heavier ones and twos won’t have much trouble displacing him on drives. The sophomore guard has swift feet and fluid hips, though he has a tendency to play upright, leaving himself susceptible to being caught off-balance.
Tyrese Haliburton should provide an immediate boost to any defense, but for all his strengths, there are a few weaknesses he must shore up to become more impactful on this end. Pick-and-roll defense is still a major flaw of his up to this point, and his previously noted slenderness made it easier for him to be hampered by screens. And once faced with the screen, he didn’t do the best job of fighting through the contact to get back into the play...his body type isn’t conducive to packing on muscle, so becoming better at feeling and navigating screens should be a top priority.
Spurs -- SB nation
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#84 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Oct 1, 2020 1:24 am

Read on Twitter
_s_t_u_r_t_
Veteran
And1: 723

Post#85 » by _s_t_u_r_t_ » Fri Oct 2, 2020 9:56 pm

Read on Twitter

Ingram likely signs with NOP, and if not NOP, likely NYK.

Dipo, if the opinions of IND fans on RealGM are any measure (not a lot of confidence in that, but it's all we have to go on, right?), would cost far more than is reasonable.

Lonzo is an option, but then again...

Tyrese, though inexperienced at this level and though suffering a knee injury to end his season, provides essentially the same if not better than Lonzo at both ends of the court... and costs so much less, and thus provides some added free agency flexibility given his rookie contract status.

I've come full circle. For now anyhow. Grab Tyrese.
graymule
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,421

Post#86 » by graymule » Sat Oct 3, 2020 6:02 pm

:D

Haliburton to the Hawks! Yes! I still have hopes that this happens.

:D :D
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#87 » by Jamaaliver » Sun Oct 4, 2020 4:12 pm

Haliburton is the most “pure” point guard [of the projected lottery picks]. In something that has to be highlighted especially in this class because of how much it struggled with decent and efficient production, Haliburton posted 15.2 points, 5.9 rebounds, 6.5 assists and 2.5 steals per game for the Cyclones in 36.7 minutes a game.

He’s not much of an explosive athlete and it’s a bummer that a 6-foot-5 point guard with great length doesn’t do much scoring around the rim or get to the foul line. But a lot of Haliburton’s talents are accentuating, from his catch-and-shoot numbers at three-point range (42.6% on all 3s at 4.2 attempts per game over two seasons) to his off-ball defense.

“Right away I think I’m coming in as a guy who can make shots and somebody who can facilitate at a high level and I think I’m a really good off-ball defender,” Haliburton said Wednesday. “I think my IQ is very high and I know where to be at the right time … I think right away you get those three things.”

Haliburton acknowledged his weaknesses, looking to get better as an on-ball defender and as a scorer off the dribble with his finishing, specifically mentioning how the NBA is mostly a pick-and-roll game now.

He even highlighted how plenty of NBA defenses (including in the playoffs) have employed drop coverage, meaning the big man will sag below the screen and allow the guard to shoot from three if it’s there. Haliburton was beaming while saying that because all he saw was aggressive hedges and traps at Iowa State.
AZ Sports
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#88 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Oct 6, 2020 7:12 pm

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#89 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:15 pm

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#90 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:05 pm

The most intriguing player in the NBA draft: Iowa State's Tyrese Haliburton

If you’re a casual basketball fan, chances are you did not see Haliburton play last season. The fact that he averaged 15.2 points, 6.5 assists, 5.9 rebounds and shot 50.4 percent from the field is pretty remarkable considering Iowa State went 12-20 and 5-13 in the Big 12. Haliburton’s season also ended early due to a fractured wrist suffered against Kansas State on Feb. 8, and postseason play was nixed because of COVID-19.

So who is Tyrese Haliburton?

Well, he is now a 6-foot-5 20-year-old with an estimated 6-8 wingspan who has the tools NBA teams are looking for in a lead guard. With his length, he can guard all three spots on the perimeter and he was one of the best passers in college basketball.
Spoiler:
In 22 games this past season, Haliburton ranked in the 99th percentile in both spot-up shooting and assists in transition, according to Synergy Sports. He averaged 1.4 points per possession and that number increased to 1.6 when left unguarded. He had nine or more assists in six games and is effective in both half-court sets and the open court. His skills were on full display in November in front of several NBA scouts at the Battle 4 Atlantis tournament at Paradise Island in Nassau, Bahamas, where he averaged 10.7 assists in three games.

“After that first tournament down in the Bahamas, it was pretty clear Haliburton would be a high pick in this draft class,” one NBA scout told Yahoo Sports. “His court vision and his high basketball IQ were just so impressive, and those two things stayed consistent all season.”

Haliburton’s jump shot isn’t a cause for concern, but will need some work at the next level. He has a slow windup starting in front of his chest and his elbow flares out a little bit. “If you think my shot now is ugly, my shot when I first got to high school started at my knees,” he told Jonathan Tjarks of the Ringer. “I don’t really care what people say about my shot as long as it’s going in. I know I’m going to have to alter it. I’m altering it right now just because it’s going to be tougher with being guarded more. But this is how I’ve hooped my whole life. And it’s been working. It’s just now about repetition and putting time into it.”

Pelicans point guard Lonzo Ball is an early NBA comp to Haliburton due to his high-level passing and unique shot mechanics. Ball was the second pick in the 2017 NBA draft and has had a decent career in the NBA despite having to modify his jump shot. “Every comparison that I ever see about me until I play my first game is going to be Lonzo. We had basically similar college numbers. I have an unorthodox form like he does, and I’m tall and light-skinned,” Haliburton told Josh Hart on his Lighthearted podcast. “So, you’re always going to hear that comparison. It makes sense. We play similar types of basketball.”

“He’s going to fit in really well wherever he goes because of his character, his humility, his skill level and basketball IQ,” Prohm told Yahoo Sports. “He can play the point guard and he’s an excellent passer, but he’s also versatile enough to play other positions. He can impact that game with or without the ball and then he’ll adjust well just coming in as a rookie and accepting his role.”
In a top-heavy draft with a lot of question marks, Haliburton remains one of the safer players in this class and could offer major upside for the right franchise.
Yahoo Sports
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#91 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:43 pm

Read on Twitter
Spud2nique
General Manager
And1: 5,135

Post#92 » by Spud2nique » Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:52 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
Read on Twitter

Doin for Gramps! :nod: Hali the 5 tooler.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#93 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:11 pm

Scouting Tyrese Haliburton and his underrated ceiling

Iowa State guard Tyrese Haliburton has long been considered one of the 2020 NBA draft's safest prospects. But last week, I watched the top-10 prospect play live in Las Vegas for the first time in almost a year, and that evaluation -- plus recent film study and intel gathering -- has me wondering if praising the unconventional 20-year-old guard for his high floor alone is selling him short.

Haliburton is an analytics darling with tremendous efficiency and nearly unprecedented steal and block rates for a guard. He combines great standstill shooting -- a career 43.5% from 3, funky mechanics and all -- with strong playmaking (3-to-1 assist-to-turnover ratio). And he's full of positivity, with an approach to the game that teammates, opponents, coaches and agents of rival prospects rave about.

Despite battling injury issues for half of the season, Haliburton was still the only player in the NCAA to average 15-5-5 while shooting at least 59% from 2 and 41% from 3. While he might not be a shifty shot-creator or a run-and-jump athlete, there's a case that he's closer to a top-three player in this class than a mid-lottery selection.

...critics point to questions about Haliburton's ability to create off the dribble, his pull-up jumper and his on-ball defense when he's not flush with great teammates. Haliburton acknowledges he's working on defending with physicality and his pull-up jump shot after connecting on just 16 off-the-dribble jumpers last season, per Synergy Sports Technology. If he's thrust into a situation in which he's asked to generate his own offense, he figures to have a steeper learning curve.

He boasts a stellar career 64.9 true shooting percentage through 57 games at Iowa State. With a much larger role on a middle-of-the-road Cyclones team last season, he posted the seventh-best true shooting percentage among prospects in our Top 100 (and the best among perimeter players). Given that his usage rate spiked from 9.2% as a freshman to 20.2% as a sophomore, his ability to adapt and improve is impressive.

Haliburton's closest comparison -- both statistically and in terms of strengths and weaknesses coming out of college -- is the New Orleans Pelicans' Lonzo Ball. Pelton noted that the two players' statistical profiles are almost identical if you compare Ball's freshman projection to Haliburton as a sophomore.

ESPN's Kevin Pelton rates Haliburton as the second-best prospect in the draft, behind only LaMelo Ball, in both his stats-only projections and his model that accounts for a prospect's ranking in our Top 100. Other analytics models, both inside and outside NBA teams, have Haliburton at No. 1.
ESPN Insider
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 7,894

Post#94 » by HMFFL » Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:17 pm

_s_t_u_r_t_ wrote:
Read on Twitter

Ingram likely signs with NOP, and if not NOP, likely NYK.

Dipo, if the opinions of IND fans on RealGM are any measure (not a lot of confidence in that, but it's all we have to go on, right?), would cost far more than is reasonable.

Lonzo is an option, but then again...

Tyrese, though inexperienced at this level and though suffering a knee injury to end his season, provides essentially the same if not better than Lonzo at both ends of the court... and costs so much less, and thus provides some added free agency flexibility given his rookie contract status.

I've come full circle. For now anyhow. Grab Tyrese.
I like this but also I wouldn't mind if we trade up for someone else. If we stay put and draft Tyrese I will be content with the selection.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
graymule
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,421

Post#95 » by graymule » Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:41 pm

:D

I've noticed some trade ideas involving the Atlanta Hawks that are, at best, weird. No. We do not wish to trade you one or two of our projected starting five AND our #6 draft pick for your former star player, on the last year of his contract and on his last legs.

We all know that Travis wants to add a veteran or two. That doesn't mean giving away our young men and our draft pick. Somewhere out there, when free agency begins, our GM will be ready with a reasonable offer. Match it or lose. There seems to be a lot of free agents available this off season and Atlanta has the payroll space to be very active.

I'm still hoping that, on the draft night, I hear: "With the 6th pick in this year's draft, the Atlanta Hawks take Tyrese Haliburton!"
We keep him to back up Trae and play a little #2 guard with Trae.

Some say, "We don't want too much youth." To me, that's like saying, "We don't need too much money or too much love!!"

8-)
_s_t_u_r_t_
Veteran

Post#96 » by _s_t_u_r_t_ » Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:55 pm

Gray, I'm getting nervous that our guy is going to end up getting taken ahead of #6 at this point. Too many talking him up. Should we make a deal with CHI? Maybe take Otto and his $28.5m off their hands, and move up to #4? :)
Radioblacktive1
Senior
And1: 554

Post#97 » by Radioblacktive1 » Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:33 pm

Admittedly was never fully on board Hali. Two biggest issues was his jumper looked easily blockable and too reliant on defenders leaving him open. My other issue was his twiggy build.

Looks like he’s fixing one issue:
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#98 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Nov 5, 2020 3:13 pm

Read on Twitter

1. Atlanta Hawks

The Hawks have quite the dilemma on their hands, as they have one of the best young players and most lethal scorers in the game in Trae Young, but he is a complete defensive liability. This is strikingly similar to when the Philadelphia 76ers tried in vain to get Allen Iverson to be a more traditional point guard. Philly’s response was to ditch the effort, let AI do what he does best, and get someone else (Eric Snow) to do the passing. Atlanta should follow this roadmap by drafting Haliburton, as he could play defense and spot up when needed while giving Young the freedom to handle the ball and generate offense.

The Hawks have all the tools to finally get out of the lottery, as Young paired with young wings Cam Reddish and DeAndre Hunter is a lethal offensive tandem. With a full season of Clint Capela coming, adding Haliburton as the second-unit point guard or starting 2-guard might be impactful enough to finally fix Atlanta’s defensive woes without sacrificing offensive efficiency and get Lloyd Pierce’s team into the playoff hunt for the first time in a half-decade.
_s_t_u_r_t_
Veteran

Post#99 » by _s_t_u_r_t_ » Tue Nov 10, 2020 2:12 am

Gray, I continue to get more nervous that Haliburton's going to end up top 5.

https://www.nba.com/news/tyrese-haliburton-great-point-guards-born-made

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 7,894

Post#100 » by HMFFL » Tue Nov 10, 2020 3:30 am

Mock drafts take a shot at where Wisconsinite Tyrese Haliburton will get drafted

ESPN, by the way, doesn't have a mock draft but does have Haliburton at No. 8 on its prospect board. Sports Illustrated ranks Haliburton at No. 4. Here's what others have to say.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.jsonline.com/amp/6221540002

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app

Return to Atlanta Hawks