ImageImageImageImage

Aaron Gordon - In or Out?

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

Is Aaron Gordon a Building Block for Magic

Yes, Keep him, he still has potential
25%
No, Trade him, we know what he is
75%

Total votes: 83

Rainwater
General Manager
And1: 5,408

Re: Aaron Gordon - In or Out? 

Post#101 » by Rainwater » Sat Oct 3, 2020 7:56 pm

I would be shocked if GSW traded the number 2 pick attached with nothing for Gordon. That would be a dumb trade on their part and steal for the magic.
zaymon
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,110

Post#102 » by zaymon » Sat Oct 3, 2020 8:18 pm

Rainwater wrote:If we trade AG, who will we next call our "future all star"? I am going to miss that tradition, lol.

Well that would be Fultz or Isaac " knock on wood".
I wonder how desperate is gsw to contend next year. Gordon for all his flaws is quite similar to iguodala ( worse obviously). Andre was a part of original death lineup.
My money is on Banchero going number 1 !
Rainwater
General Manager

Post#103 » by Rainwater » Sat Oct 3, 2020 11:39 pm

zaymon wrote:
Rainwater wrote:If we trade AG, who will we next call our "future all star"? I am going to miss that tradition, lol.

I wonder how desperate is gsw to contend next year. Gordon for all his flaws is quite similar to iguodala ( worse obviously). Andre was a part of original death lineup.

I think it will fall to Issac, unlike AG he might have the talent to reach his potential. And I hope I am wrong but I am kinda losing faith in Fultz.

I completely agree AG would be an amazing role player for GSW (playing his proper role) but giving up the second pick in the draft is a bit much.
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 12,663

Post#104 » by MagicMatic » Sun Oct 4, 2020 2:01 am

Rainwater wrote:
zaymon wrote:

I think it will fall to Issac, unlike AG he might have the talent to reach his potential. And I hope I am wrong but I am kinda losing faith in Fultz.

I completely agree AG would be an amazing role player for GSW (playing his proper role) but giving up the second pick in the draft is a bit much.

Trading a starting level player, with the potential to make Golden State the favorite, is worth the #2 pick IMO without having to give up #15. 13 spots for the caliber of player isn’t worth it in this draft.
Rainwater
General Manager

Post#105 » by Rainwater » Sun Oct 4, 2020 8:33 am

MagicMatic wrote:
Rainwater wrote:
zaymon wrote:Well that would be Fultz or Isaac " knock on wood".

Trading a starting level player, with the potential to make Golden State the favorite, is worth the #2 pick IMO without having to give up #15. 13 spots for the caliber of player isn’t worth it in this draft.

I know this is a bad draft class but trading the #2 pick that has the potential to be a star just for a role player is lopsided. I don't know how you could give up that kind of value for a guy who won't likely start. I feel like there are a lot of better offers for GSW. And while I believe that AG would be a good role player for them, I don't think an AG trade will necessarily make them the favorite.
zaymon
Lead Assistant

Post#106 » by zaymon » Sun Oct 4, 2020 9:50 am

Rainwater wrote:
MagicMatic wrote:
Rainwater wrote:

I know this is a bad draft class but trading the #2 pick that has the potential to be a star just for a role player is lopsided. I don't know how you could give up that kind of value for a guy who won't likely start. I feel like there are a lot of better offers for GSW. And while I believe that AG would be a good role player for them, I don't think an AG trade will necessarily make them the favorite.

It seems like there are many wings/ forwards to trade for gsw until you make a list. Guys athletic enough to guard 2-4, with passing necessary to be implemented into Warriors system and not a total zero shooters ? Basically only Aaron Gordon. Hayward is injury prone and not so athletic, Porter is injury prone, not so athletic and not a great passer. Both are way more expensive.
#2 seems like a lot of value until you watch the prospects. Edwards looks like a mix of AG, LaVine and Wiggins. I would be reluctant to pick him in the top 10. Ball is a scorer who cant score, and passer with questionable decision making.
Wiseman is a big man in a mold everybody wants to get rid off right now ( whiteside, drummond).
To be fair i would look at Hayes, Pokusevski, Okoro, Avdija at number 2 and then AG looks more in line with perceived talent.
Rainwater
General Manager

Post#107 » by Rainwater » Sun Oct 4, 2020 7:20 pm

zaymon wrote:
Rainwater wrote:
MagicMatic wrote:

It seems like there are many wings/ forwards to trade for gsw until you make a list. Guys athletic enough to guard 2-4, with passing necessary to be implemented into Warriors system and not a total zero shooters ? Basically only Aaron Gordon. Hayward is injury prone and not so athletic, Porter is injury prone, not so athletic and not a great passer. Both are way more expensive.
#2 seems like a lot of value until you watch the prospects. Edwards looks like a mix of AG, LaVine and Wiggins. I would be reluctant to pick him in the top 10. Ball is a scorer who cant score, and passer with questionable decision making.
Wiseman is a big man in a mold everybody wants to get rid off right now ( whiteside, drummond).
To be fair i would look at Hayes, Pokusevski, Okoro, Avdija at number 2 and then AG looks more in line with perceived talent.

I know what you are saying but I still disagree. The 2nd pick is still an unknown with the potential of becoming a star. The mere idea that a player can blow up and become something special is worth more than AG, who while is a good fit for GSW, is a known asset, not really a game changer, a role player and would likely come off the bench. I can't remember the last time a non all-star was traded for a pick that high attached to nothing else. If a trade does go down the magic would also have to take on a bad contract or also give up the 15th pick. I just can't see how gives up a pick high for only AG. I can just imagine the outrage from the GSW fans if that pick blows up and they only get AG. Ball, Anthony, or Wiseman have the ability to be just as good if not better.
MagicMatic
RealGM

Post#108 » by MagicMatic » Sun Oct 4, 2020 7:44 pm

Rainwater wrote:
zaymon wrote:
Rainwater wrote:

I know what you are saying but I still disagree. The 2nd pick is still an unknown with the potential of becoming a star. The mere idea that a player can blow up and become something special is worth more than AG, who while is a good fit for GSW, is a known asset, not really a game changer, a role player and would likely come off the bench. I can't remember the last time a non all-star was traded for a pick that high attached to nothing else. If a trade does go down the magic would also have to take on a bad contract or also give up the 15th pick. I just can't see how gives up a pick high for only AG. I can just imagine the outrage from the GSW fans if that pick blows up and they only get AG. Ball, Anthony, or Wiseman have the ability to be just as good if not better.

I kinda agree with what you’re saying.

I think the idea would be a starting lineup of-

Curry
Thompson
Wiggins
Gordon
Green

I’d contend that AG never fit our system AT ALL. Trading him for the #2 pick is more about Golden State taking the chance that AG fits their scheme a lot better than what he’s demonstrated in Orlando (they’d be right).

I don’t know if Ball, Edwards, or Wiseman help them more than AG would in their shrinking championship window, as the rest of their roster gets older. Those players could easily become busts, but that’s a better risk for Orlando to take as we aren’t really competing for championships and have a capped ceiling/ salary.
zaymon
Lead Assistant

Post#109 » by zaymon » Sun Oct 4, 2020 8:01 pm

MagicMatic wrote:
Rainwater wrote:
zaymon wrote:It seems like there are many wings/ forwards to trade for gsw until you make a list. Guys athletic enough to guard 2-4, with passing necessary to be implemented into Warriors system and not a total zero shooters ? Basically only Aaron Gordon. Hayward is injury prone and not so athletic, Porter is injury prone, not so athletic and not a great passer. Both are way more expensive.

Curry
Thompson
Wiggins
Gordon
Green

I’d contend that AG never fit our system AT ALL. Trading him for the #2 pick is more about Golden State taking the chance that AG fits their scheme a lot better than what he’s demonstrated in Orlando (they’d be right).

I don’t know if Ball, Edwards, or Wiseman help them more than AG would in their shrinking championship window, as the rest of their roster gets older. Those players could easily become busts, but that’s a better risk for Orlando to take as we aren’t really competing for championships and have a capped ceiling/ salary.

Exactly. If gsw is serious about contending their top pick shouldnt even be in rotation next year. Do they want a drama around not playing a #2 pick ? Do they want dead 10 M for the next few years ?. AG is interesting case. While the eye test says he is not that good, he was a part of number 1 offense and defense in stretches. You can talk yourself into him, like we have done for the past few years.
Cleveland traded two number one picks for Love and they came on top. Warriors are not a regular #2 team, their priorities are different. They know they can win with Iguodala like player. They know they need more wing/ forward depth to be relevant. Tell how many good options they have outside AG ? I think we have a chance to squeeze them in trade.
Rainwater
General Manager

Post#110 » by Rainwater » Sun Oct 4, 2020 8:45 pm

zaymon wrote:
MagicMatic wrote:
Rainwater wrote:

Curry
Thompson
Wiggins
Gordon
Green

Exactly. If gsw is serious about contending their top pick shouldnt even be in rotation next year. Do they want a drama around not playing a #2 pick ? Do they want dead 10 M for the next few years ?. AG is interesting case. While the eye test says he is not that good, he was a part of number 1 offense and defense in stretches. You can talk yourself into him, like we have done for the past few years.
Cleveland traded two number one picks for Love and they came on top. Warriors are not a regular #2 team, their priorities are different. They know they can win with Iguodala like player. They know they need more wing/ forward depth to be relevant. Tell how many good options they have outside AG ? I think we have a chance to squeeze them in trade.

I really can't see GSW going with a small starting lineup especially seeing how houston failed against the Lakers. They need a bigger lineup. And while I agree that GSW will trade the pick to contend now, I just think it will be for more value than AG. You just don't trade a pick that high just for one role player. In the kevin Love example you brought up he was an all star who was avg 20 and 10. The magic will have to take on a bad contract or add more to the deal to make it work.
Xatticus
Head Coach
And1: 7,936

Post#111 » by Xatticus » Mon Oct 5, 2020 2:16 am

Tarheel wrote:
Def Swami wrote:Gordon for the #2 pick without taking the Wiggins contract is a steal of a deal.

Especally if Paschall comes back the other way. Does a lot of what AG can do at less than 5% of the price (he's on that contract for a couple more years too).

They are really different players.

Paschall is really undersized for a four. I'm not sure you can even call him one. He is built and he is strong, but he doesn't get up and down the floor well, he is a really poor team/help defender, and he has a really poor rebound rate for someone with his strength. He is probably always going to be a significant problem at the defensive end. He is too big to chase smaller guys around, but you lose a lot by putting him at the four or five.

He is an intriguing offensive player, but again, he is really different from Gordon. He can shoot, but his range doesn't extend beyond the 3-point line. I'm not sure he will be able to extend his range that far without really changing the way he shoots. He is mostly an iso guy that creates for himself, but in his last few games of the season, he embraced the role of playmaker. That's where he could provide value. He can get into the paint and he can finish when he gets there. If you can use him as the ballhandler in pick-and-roll plays, he could give us something we don't have right now. It's a tiny sample though. If he is just an isolation scorer that can't defend, he'll never be as useful as Gordon is right now and he is only a year younger.

I'd be fine with taking on Paschall and working on developing his ability as a playmaker, but he is a huge downgrade from Gordon right now. He had one of the worst plus/minus totals in the NBA (-375), and so all of the advanced metrics hated him (-3.32 PIPM, -4.55 RAPTOR, -4.40 RPM). The Warriors got scorched (-10.6 netrtg) when he was on the floor this year. And yeah... the Warriors were pretty terrible all year long, but they were much better when Paschall wasn't on the floor (-5.8 netrtg).
"Xatticus has always been, in my humble opinion best poster here. Should write articles or something."
-pepe1991
MagicMatic
RealGM

Post#112 » by MagicMatic » Mon Oct 5, 2020 2:28 am

Xatticus wrote:
Tarheel wrote:
Def Swami wrote:Gordon for the #2 pick without taking the Wiggins contract is a steal of a deal.

Especally if Paschall comes back the other way. Does a lot of what AG can do at less than 5% of the price (he's on that contract for a couple more years too).

Paschall is really undersized for a four. I'm not sure you can even call him one. He is built and he is strong, but he doesn't get up and down the floor well, he is a really poor team/help defender, and he has a really poor rebound rate for someone with his strength. He is probably always going to be a significant problem at the defensive end. He is too big to chase smaller guys around, but you lose a lot by putting him at the four or five.

He is an intriguing offensive player, but again, he is really different from Gordon. He can shoot, but his range doesn't extend beyond the 3-point line. I'm not sure he will be able to extend his range that far without really changing the way he shoots. He is mostly an iso guy that creates for himself, but in his last few games of the season, he embraced the role of playmaker. That's where he could provide value. He can get into the paint and he can finish when he gets there. If you can use him as the ballhandler in pick-and-roll plays, he could give us something we don't have right now. It's a tiny sample though. If he is just an isolation scorer that can't defend, he'll never be as useful as Gordon is right now and he is only a year younger.

I'd be fine with taking on Paschall and working on developing his ability as a playmaker, but he is a huge downgrade from Gordon right now. He had one of the worst plus/minus totals in the NBA (-375), and so all of the advanced metrics hated him (-3.32 PIPM, -4.55 RAPTOR, -4.40 RPM). The Warriors got scorched (-10.6 netrtg) when he was on the floor this year. And yeah... the Warriors were pretty terrible all year long, but they were much better when Paschall wasn't on the floor (-5.8 netrtg).

Between Paschall and Looney who would you prefer?
Xatticus
Head Coach

Post#113 » by Xatticus » Mon Oct 5, 2020 2:30 am

ucfmay2000 wrote:
Max Power wrote:If the Magic could get the number 2 pick for Gordon that would be a major steal from WeHam. But it’s not the type of move they are capable of making in my opinion. They’re aren’t swing for the fence types. But to add a guy like Edwards to our team makes Fournier very expendable, so I’d be down for it. I’d also be down for Wiseman as an eventual real replacement for Vuc come the day the team decides its time to move on from him. I want nothing to do with Lavar Balls kid. Let some other franchise have that headache.

Draft Deni Avdija. He could be Luka ver 2.0. I really like this kid. Markell, Ross, Deni, JI and Vooc would be a nice lineup in 2021-2022.

Avdija scares me. There are some intriguing highlights, but he is very unproven and his physical tools are underwhelming. Doncic was the best player in Europe. Avdija hasn't proven anything in Europe. The Israeli league is poor and he was out of his depth in the EuroLeague. He won't be a good defender. He doesn't look to be a plus shooter. I really want a playmaker out of this draft, but that looks to be all that Avdija brings and he hasn't really even proven that much against decent competition. I'd be perfectly happy getting him at 15, but would I want to give up assets to move up into the top five for him? No. The upside isn't there.
"Xatticus has always been, in my humble opinion best poster here. Should write articles or something."
-pepe1991
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,632

Post#114 » by Skin » Mon Oct 5, 2020 3:01 am

Xatticus wrote:
ucfmay2000 wrote:
Max Power wrote:If the Magic could get the number 2 pick for Gordon that would be a major steal from WeHam. But it’s not the type of move they are capable of making in my opinion. They’re aren’t swing for the fence types. But to add a guy like Edwards to our team makes Fournier very expendable, so I’d be down for it. I’d also be down for Wiseman as an eventual real replacement for Vuc come the day the team decides its time to move on from him. I want nothing to do with Lavar Balls kid. Let some other franchise have that headache.

Draft Deni Avdija. He could be Luka ver 2.0. I really like this kid. Markell, Ross, Deni, JI and Vooc would be a nice lineup in 2021-2022.

Avdija scares me. There are some intriguing highlights, but he is very unproven and his physical tools are underwhelming. Doncic was the best player in Europe. Avdija hasn't proven anything in Europe. The Israeli league is poor and he was out of his depth in the EuroLeague. He won't be a good defender. He doesn't look to be a plus shooter. I really want a playmaker out of this draft, but that looks to be all that Avdija brings and he hasn't really even proven that much against decent competition. I'd be perfectly happy getting him at 15, but would I want to give up assets to move up into the top five for him? No. The upside isn't there.

Same, he could be good, but I wouldn't spend the investment on him that it seems to cost.
Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
Xatticus
Head Coach

Post#115 » by Xatticus » Mon Oct 5, 2020 3:03 am

MagicMatic wrote:
Xatticus wrote:
Tarheel wrote:

Between Paschall and Looney who would you prefer?

That would depend on what I plan to use them for. Paschall is obviously better at the offensive end, but Looney is far better defensively. If I'm GS and trying to win games next year, Looney would get minutes in my rotation ahead of Paschall. They need what Looney gives them. They don't really need what Paschall does. Maybe Paschall could give them some offense in their second unit, but he is never going to finish games alongside Curry and Thompson.

For Orlando, I'd rather have Paschall. We are so desperate for some playmaking that I'd be happy to give him a shot. I don't know what you do with him defensively though. Try to hide him against threes that are limited? You are better off playing a four that can set a screen and that is switchable and/or that can provide some rim protection. Paschall is basically a guard that can't defend guards. Maybe you try to slim him down some?

Looney is precisely the type of player that I'd keep away from Clifford, because he would play him. He is defensively more versatile than Birch, but he is of the same ilk. He can give you some minutes without killing you, but he has no upside. We should be all about talent acquisition and development, because this team isn't going anywhere at present. We need to be worried about how useful/valuable players will be three years from now. Looney isn't worth anything now and he won't be worth anything three years from now. You can always find a James Ennis or Gary Clark on the waiver wire. That's fine if you are trying to plug holes on the cheap for a team that already has a competitive core, but it's useless if your upside is a first-round thumping.
-pepe1991
NW
Starter
And1: 347

Post#116 » by NW » Mon Oct 5, 2020 3:26 pm

Getting the number 2 pick for Gordon without giving up at least the 15 or eating Wiggins contract? As a Warriors fan, could you at least take our front office out to dinner first before screwing them?
MagicFan101
RealGM
And1: 6,498

Post#117 » by MagicFan101 » Mon Oct 5, 2020 3:29 pm

NW wrote:Getting the number 2 pick for Gordon without giving up at least the 15 or eating Wiggins contract? As a Warriors fan, could you at least take our front office out to dinner first before screwing them?

As an Orlando fan I don’t see how this is possible. Golden State is smarter than this and understands the value the have have here and the situation Orlando is in.

Orlando would have to (and would be willing to) do at least one of those two things.
MagicMatic
RealGM

Post#118 » by MagicMatic » Mon Oct 5, 2020 4:07 pm

NW wrote:Getting the number 2 pick for Gordon without giving up at least the 15 or eating Wiggins contract? As a Warriors fan, could you at least take our front office out to dinner first before screwing them?

Didn’t you yourself say that Wiggins wouldn’t necessarily be on the table as an option, and that they want him in the lineup?

I’m not a fan of AG, as most people here know, but he’s worth more than moving up 13 spots in a weak draft. What’s the incentive to move AG without keeping our pick or returning a young player with potential?

Here are the likeliest possible combinations.

1. AG + Tross for Wiggins + #2 + filler
2. AG for Trade Exception + #2 + filler
3. AG + #15 for Trade Exception +#2 (overpay)

There are very few players on your roster that are prime trade targets outside of your starting lineup.

I could see the first trade happening because you lack bench depth. Magic fans wouldn’t love #1 because we fail to score as it is already and Ross sometimes helps with that.

The third trade is an overpay to move up in a draft without a sure thing at #2. Not only that, but this FO isn’t risky enough to take that chance with few assets.

The second trade makes the most sense. Which I guess is **** your franchise over now?
NW
Starter
And1: 347

Post#119 » by NW » Mon Oct 5, 2020 4:38 pm

MagicMatic wrote:

Didn’t you yourself say that Wiggins wouldn’t necessarily be on the table as an option, and that they want him in the lineup?

I’m not a fan of AG, as most people here know, but he’s worth more than moving up 13 spots in a weak draft. What’s the incentive to move AG without keeping our pick or returning a young player with potential?

There are very few players on your roster that are prime trade targets outside of your starting lineup.

I could see the first trade happening because you lack bench depth. Magic fans wouldn’t love #1 because we fail to score as it is already and Ross sometimes helps with that.

The third trade is an overpay to move up in a draft without a sure thing at #2. Not only that, but this FO isn’t risky enough to take that chance with few assets.

The second trade makes the most sense. Which I guess is **** your franchise over now?

Take out Wiggins, you at least put in the 15. Wouldn’t mind Gordon on the squad, but I’d sooner gamble on what GS could get at #2, even in a “weaker” draft, if he’s all that comes in return. We know what Gordon is and brings to the table
Xatticus
Head Coach

Post#120 » by Xatticus » Mon Oct 5, 2020 7:48 pm

NW wrote:
MagicMatic wrote:

Take out Wiggins, you at least put in the 15. Wouldn’t mind Gordon on the squad, but I’d sooner gamble on what GS could get at #2, even in a “weaker” draft, if he’s all that comes in return. We know what Gordon is and brings to the table

I'm not adding the 15 with Gordon to move up to 2 in this draft. There isn't enough value at the top. I suppose it's possible that our front office becomes enamored with someone up there, but I doubt it. In a vacuum, this is still a positive for GS, but I don't think they do it regardless. I can't see them using the TE to add salary. They have half a roster and are already above the luxury tax threshold. I expect they will use the pick to get off of Wiggins' contract and get something useful in return. Wiggins is a significant negative asset and the Warriors' window is closing. I'll be quite surprised if they just make the pick and run it back.

I can understand the first deal for GS, but I'd want more value for Orlando. I get why GS is interested in Gordon. He's from the area. He'd fit in better on that team than he ever fit in here. You can let him grind on Kawhi or LeBron for 30 minutes a night without worrying about him getting into foul trouble. He fills the Iguodala void capably. He only just turned 25, so he can help now and he can be a part of the next iteration of the Warriors. He is also easy to move if they decide to go in another direction. The problem is the Wiggins deal. Even in his best season, he was a negative on the floor and he comes with another three years on an albatross contract that would be difficult to get out from under without attaching significant value. I don't think we want to forsake the next three seasons to get the number-2 pick in this draft.
-pepe1991

Return to Orlando Magic