ImageImageImage

Detroit Pistons - Orlando Summer League Notes

Moderators: Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

jakebernat
Sixth Man
And1: 767

Re: Detroit Pistons - Orlando Summer League Notes 

Post#21 » by jakebernat » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:21 pm

Both KCP and AB can play point guard, and all you need to be able to do to play the position is push the ball in transition.

You seriously never cease to amaze me
hoophabit
Analyst
And1: 1,350

Post#22 » by hoophabit » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:22 pm

It made sense to me that moving on from KCP and doing the AB trade was connected to how pleased they were with LK. It may have been coincidence that SL wrapped up on 7/5 and they did the trade and released KCP on 7/7, but it certainly fits with them thinking we've found our SG of the future. Kennard has already shown better handles, court awareness, and shooting than KCP. Suggesting that people are hoping KCP sucks makes no sense. Rational people know he doesn't suck. Quite a few here are simply willing to acknowledge that he just isn't that great. He played 4 seasons for the team and posted .405 FG%, .334 3 Pt %, 1.6 Assists, and 3 boards. He defends with a will, but has trouble handling stronger SGs. Boston fans remark on what a great job AB did on Butler, but when did we witness KCP give him so much trouble? Pelinka may be gushing over how great KCP is, but I notice they signed him to a one year contract.
Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Re: RE: Re: Detroit Pistons - Orlando Summer League Notes 

Post#23 » by Pharaoh » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:23 pm

jakebernat wrote:Both KCP and AB can play point guard, and all you need to be able to do to play the position is push the ball in transition.

You talking to me or blkbrd?

Sent from my SM-J110F using RealGM mobile app
jakebernat
Sixth Man

Post#24 » by jakebernat » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:36 pm

Pharaoh wrote:
jakebernat wrote:Both KCP and AB can play point guard, and all you need to be able to do to play the position is push the ball in transition.

Blkbrd, sorry for no quotes
Pharaoh
RealGM

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Detroit Pistons - Orlando Summer League Notes 

Post#25 » by Pharaoh » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:48 pm

jakebernat wrote:
Pharaoh wrote:

Blkbrd, sorry for no quotes

All good mate. Was leaning that way but we've got a few here pushing this idea of having both KCP & AB I wanted to be sure.

People forget that we only got AB because KCPs retention was going bad

We were talking to Boston about other options when outta nowhere the AB deal happened

IF SVG was willing to play Rich Paul's game then Boston move on without us - no KCP & AB tandem

IF Rich Paul isn't a assclown - we're not proposing Mook for AB to Ainge - no KCP & AB tandem

As we saw once we acquired AB SVG no longer wanted anything to do with Rich Paul...

The reasons why have been posted all over this forum

A_dub06
Sixth Man
And1: 729

Detroit Pistons - Orlando Summer League Notes 

Post#26 » by A_dub06 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:35 pm

Blkbrd671 wrote:
Its like you don't understand development and how players gradually transition to production in games. Point is that coach and national coaches thought enough of KCP ball handling and decision making to give him that responsibilty . So bury your head in the dirt all you want but it happened.

There's enough minutes for LG but there all of sudden not enough minutes for KCP. Idk what you guys are worried about, if KCP sucks as bad as you hope he does, his minutes will look justified.

Your mistaken as this isn't a argument, I've brought legitimate points that your just avoiding or ignoring.

Honestly how butthurt are you that we let an overrated-defending average-at-best 3pt shooter walk? Anyone would think you were married to the guy!

At this point in time KCP is barely an above average player and all statistics (plus 4 seasons here) prove that as well as both the eye test and advanced stats. I've seen you state in multiple threads we should've resigned him and yet have failed to provide any reasonable evidence how he makes us that much better.

The fact you believe a pg only needs to be able to handle the ball is a joke and reflects how ridiculous your point is.
JohnReese
Senior
And1: 270

Post#27 » by JohnReese » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:29 pm

Pharaoh wrote:
JohnReese wrote:Bradley going to some top team next summer.

Quote me when that happens.

San Antonio will have cap space and is a perfect fit.

I can see that happening for sure

But when the choice is to overpay KCP for 4/5 years and the other is to avoid the tax & get a season of AB it's not hard to see why SVG & Gores went that way.

We bitch about not having quality players...one falls into our laps and we complain that 12 months from now he'll be gone?

Can we not have a month or 2 or 6 of enjoying AB as a Piston?

If you don't want to pay KCP, you trade him during the year. Btw, he deserved more to be paid than the duo of divas that we have.

If Stan was smart, he would trade Bradley before the deadline when a lot of teams will be interested.
flow
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,347

Post#28 » by flow » Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:38 am

There's a difference between playing the position and playing it well. Playing it well requires quite a bit more.
Neither kcp nor bradley nor rj can play the position well.
jakebernat
Sixth Man

Post#29 » by jakebernat » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:52 pm

flow wrote:

There's a difference between playing the position and playing it well. Playing it well requires quite a bit more.

Okay I need to clarify to everyone that I was being sarcastic, I'll remember the green font next time lol
flow
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,347

Post#30 » by flow » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:00 pm

jakebernat wrote:
flow wrote:

Okay I need to clarify to everyone that I was being sarcastic, I'll remember the green font next time lol

Ah, my bad then. I probably should have read the whole conversation.
ByeByeDre
Rookie
And1: 373

Post#31 » by ByeByeDre » Thu Oct 1, 2020 5:01 pm

Pharaoh wrote:I'm the guy that wanted to draft Mitchell so we could team him with KCP down the line...along with SJ...for a top flight perimeter defense!

I'm the guy that wanted to change the offensive structure last training camp in order to (partly) develop KCP!

I'm the guy that posted his shooting numbers by the month!

Don't **** tell me I want him to suck - he's one of "my" guys in the league!

Pharaoh
RealGM

Post#32 » by Pharaoh » Thu Oct 1, 2020 10:35 pm

ByeByeDre wrote:
Pharaoh wrote:I'm the guy that wanted to draft Mitchell so we could team him with KCP down the line...along with SJ...for a top flight perimeter defense!

I'm the guy that wanted to change the offensive structure last training camp in order to (partly) develop KCP!

Lots of things change in 2+ years!

Is that your point?

Sent from my SM-A520F using RealGM mobile app
TurboTitan
Starter
And1: 1,936

Post#33 » by TurboTitan » Mon Oct 5, 2020 12:53 am

ByeByeDre wrote:

??
“We don't see ourselves as All-Stars. We see ourselves as one unit. It's like five fingers on a hand. You can do more damage together as a fist than spread out flat.” ~SHEED
Mr Peanut
Starter
And1: 2,323

Post#34 » by Mr Peanut » Mon Oct 5, 2020 9:44 am

It feels weird that there was ever a time in history that people thought that Henry Ellenson was going to be something.
Manocad
RealGM
And1: 10,561

Post#35 » by Manocad » Mon Oct 5, 2020 12:15 pm

Mr Peanut wrote:It feels weird that there was ever a time in history that people thought that Henry Ellenson was going to be something.

Clearly both of them were wrong.
Billl
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,373

Post#36 » by Billl » Mon Oct 5, 2020 2:46 pm

I think most fans get excited about the new rookies and have high hopes for them.
Crymson
Rookie
And1: 468

Post#37 » by Crymson » Mon Oct 5, 2020 6:58 pm

Manocad wrote:
Mr Peanut wrote:It feels weird that there was ever a time in history that people thought that Henry Ellenson was going to be something.

Clearly both of them were wrong.

People point to passage on Mitchell and Booker as two of Van Gundy's gaffes, but the selection of Ellenson really typified the ineptitude of the Van Gundy regime: a guy with no NBA upside, who fit no need, and whom Van Gundy was too lazy to scout. ANY competent front office scouts ALL possible draftees. Van Gundy didn't do so, and he also didn't understand Ellenson's total lack of promise as an NBA player. And for a team short on good shooting, he passed on two athletic wings who can shoot. Those wings are the most important commodity in today's league. Van Gundy just didn't get it.

What a **** moron.

Return to Detroit Pistons