ImageImageImageImageImage

New Center

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

nickhx2
RealGM
And1: 6,296

Re: New Center 

Post#41 » by nickhx2 » Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:08 pm

TrueLAfan wrote:Look … guys … I don’t want to be a jerk about this, but we thought Harrell was fabulous two months ago. Two. Months. Ago. His play didn’t have any dropoff during the regular season. He was 6MOY. All this talk about how he’s “gone”—slow down. Stop and think. Is Trezz limited as a player? Yes. Is he, when playing well, extremely valuable? Again, yes. Has he had injury issues? No. Is he old or past his prime? No.

Is that really someone we want to give up on that fast?

I hated Trezz’s bubble play—but I also think it might make it easier to resign him or sign-and-trade him. The cut in revenue is going to hurt FA salaries this year. Trezz could end up being quite the bargain. Keeping Montrezl Harrell for $10-12 million a year would be a smart move, IMO. Trading him for someone valuable with that 10-12 million would/could also be a smart move, IMO. Just wanted to point that out.

value-wise yeah we need to do something rather than letting him walk. and trust me, i'm huge on getting maximum value out of every possible avenue.

but as far as team-component-wise, i would bet on doc misusing him again in critical situations. and i'd rather just let him go than risk this disaster of a playoffs occurring again. i realize no immediate replacement who makes us feel very confident comes to mind, but a big who can defend or shoot and is cheap isn't gonna be too hard to find (patterson already does both).
nickhx2
RealGM

Post#42 » by nickhx2 » Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:12 pm

now, if you told me you could get an aaron baynes to pair with him as the 5/4 off the bench, found a new starter at point guard, moved beverley to the bench, and got rid of lou williams...

then i'd be far, far more interested in keeping harrell. i think hiding one awful guy on defense makes sense. putting two bad guys out there is super risky, let alone three guys who offer absolutely nothing on that front. but the team has to make the right efforts to do that, and it cannot just let doc have his comfort guys and in turn allow him to coach like a jackass because of that.

and all that's easier said than done, so right now the simplest thing really looks like moving on from him, value or not.
TheNewEra
RealGM
And1: 10,409

Post#43 » by TheNewEra » Fri Oct 2, 2020 11:29 pm

nickhx2 wrote:now, if you told me you could get an aaron baynes to pair with him as the 5/4 off the bench, found a new starter at point guard, moved beverley to the bench, and got rid of lou williams...

then i'd be far, far more interested in keeping harrell. i think hiding one awful guy on defense makes sense. putting two bad guys out there is super risky, let alone three guys who offer absolutely nothing on that front. but the team has to make the right efforts to do that, and it cannot just let doc have his comfort guys and in turn allow him to coach like a jackass because of that.

and all that's easier said than done, so right now the simplest thing really looks like moving on from him, value or not.

Good choice
nickhx2
RealGM

Post#44 » by nickhx2 » Fri Oct 2, 2020 11:55 pm

well i guess that makes things simpler, huh?

regardless of who comes in as HC, i doubt the team is going to try and repeat with the awful defensive personnel we had off the bench.
TheNewEra
RealGM
And1: 10,409

Post#45 » by TheNewEra » Sat Oct 3, 2020 8:13 pm

nickhx2 wrote:well i guess that makes things simpler, huh?

regardless of who comes in as HC, i doubt the team is going to try and repeat with the awful defensive personnel we had off the bench.

I’m excited so much potential moving forward
SF_Warriors
General Manager
And1: 3,794

Post#46 » by SF_Warriors » Mon Oct 5, 2020 1:22 am

clipperlover wrote:
MartinToVaught wrote:On a side note, Trez mocked the Falcons for blowing that huge lead yesterday on Twitter. Apparently he's already forgotten the 3-1 lead that he and Doc just blew. :roll:

I think he is giving a tell on where he is going next year. Hawks have more cap space than anyone. He could sign there outright. He may not be willing to work a sign and trade.

The hawks have capela and collins..why would they want to use their cap space on another big?
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,749

Post#47 » by madmaxmedia » Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:11 pm

TrueLAfan wrote:Look … guys … I don’t want to be a jerk about this, but we thought Harrell was fabulous two months ago. Two. Months. Ago. His play didn’t have any dropoff during the regular season. He was 6MOY. All this talk about how he’s “gone”—slow down. Stop and think. Is Trezz limited as a player? Yes. Is he, when playing well, extremely valuable? Again, yes. Has he had injury issues? No. Is he old or past his prime? No.

Is that really someone we want to give up on that fast?

I hated Trezz’s bubble play—but I also think it might make it easier to resign him or sign-and-trade him. The cut in revenue is going to hurt FA salaries this year. Trezz could end up being quite the bargain. Keeping Montrezl Harrell for $10-12 million a year would be a smart move, IMO. Trading him for someone valuable with that 10-12 million would/could also be a smart move, IMO. Just wanted to point that out.

I still love Trezz's positives, his motor, and those pick'n'rolls with Lou, but as we all know his negatives always reduced his overall value. It was unfortunate to lose him via free agency, fortunately it was a wash because we replaced him with a better (or at the very least much more well-rounded) player via free agency for the same money.

As far as center position goes, I am actually hopeful that Daniel Oturu can pan out (at his draft position mind you), and eventually be able to fill some minutes for us at the 5. He's not as rangy as Fi, but has enough size to defend and rebound at center in today's NBA and was a very productive player in college (where he also shot the 3-ball as well as Fi.) He might be raw but he actually was a very productive starter and is a year younger when drafted than Fi. His upside may just be 'back up big man who doesn't hurt you when he's out there', but I think he has a decent chance to get there.

Return to Los Angeles Clippers