Jimmy Butler had the 2nd best performance in NBA Finals history by Game Score tonight

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Kobe187
Starter
And1: 1,905

Re: Jimmy Butler had the 2nd best performance in NBA Finals history by Game Score tonight 

Post#41 » by Kobe187 » Mon Oct 5, 2020 4:48 am

Heat3 wrote:
FinNasty wrote:This was such a throwback performance. He had 40pts without a SINGLE 3pt attempt. Driving the ball, posting up, and midrange.

**** the 3-ball era. This was **** beautiful to watch...

Hell yeah. This was 90s basketball right there.

Jimmy Buckets is a throw back, Django unchained. What a performance.
FreeThrowLine
Veteran
And1: 4,274

Re: Jimmy Butler had the 2nd best performance in NBA Finals history by Game Score tonight 

Post#42 » by FreeThrowLine » Mon Oct 5, 2020 4:54 am

goodboy wrote:
dshearn wrote:
FreeThrowLine wrote:I love Butler but I don’t know what this game score is supposed to represent because that’s not even a top 20 performance by an individual in a finals game let alone top 2, so what is the value of ‘game score’?

well....take me to school.....

what are the top 20?

He cant.

No point.

Honestly you Heat fans get so defensive, you did the same thing last round. Why can’t you accept people having a different opinion to yours?

If you think that was a top 2 finals performance of all time then I’ll just let you believe that. I don’t know how long you’ve followed the NBA so I won’t make any assumptions about what you’ve seen

It’s not that “I can’t” it’s that I wouldn’t waste my time because I already know how the discussion would go based on previous experience

I want the Heat to win and I like Butler while hating half the Lakers. This has nothing to do with favouritism, can you say the same being Heat fans?

If we just go back to 1980 and assume an average of 5 or 6 games per final series thats 200-240 games

Are you honestly telling me you believe that game just now by Butler was a top 2 performance?

I don’t even understand how it’s insulting to say it’s not or to say I don’t think it’s top 20.

You’ve got finals performances by Magic, Bird, Isiah, Jordan, Shaq, Duncan, Wade, Lebron, Hakeem, Kobe and others when you factor in the teams that lost

Maybe I need to go back and re-watch this game, maybe the bubble atmosphere without crowds is taking away from the moment but I’m not seeing this in the same light as you guys and I have zero bias to not want to see it as a great game, again I’m a huge fan of Butler
Chessboxer
Analyst
And1: 613

Post#43 » by Chessboxer » Mon Oct 5, 2020 4:55 am

radeonboy wrote:The question is whether or not Butler can sustain this superstar level performance the whole way through to the end...

If he doesn't have this every game, Heat chances fall straight down...especially them being already undermanned.

It makes me wonder why Jimmy was so happy in the pregame interview with Rachel. Its almost as if he got told by Spo he got the greenlight to be more aggressive with his shot.
" What I do is attack your ability. I don't have to stand over you and taunt you. You'll know when it's done that I'm better."

-Micheal Jordan
goodboy
RealGM
And1: 185,295

Post#44 » by goodboy » Mon Oct 5, 2020 5:05 am

FreeThrowLine wrote:
goodboy wrote:
dshearn wrote:

what are the top 20?

He cant.

No point.

Honestly you Heat fans get so defensive, you did the same thing last round. Why can’t you accept people having a different opinion to yours?

If you think that was a top 2 finals performance of all time then I’ll just let you believe that. I don’t know how long you’ve followed the NBA so I won’t make any assumptions about what you’ve seen

It’s not that “I can’t” it’s that I wouldn’t waste my time because I already know how the discussion would go based on previous experience

I want the Heat to win and I like Butler while hating half the Lakers. This has nothing to do with favouritism, can you say the same being Heat fans?

If we just go back to 1980 and assume an average of 5 or 6 games per final series thats 200-240 games

Are you honestly telling me you believe that game just now by Butler was a top 2 performance?

I don’t even understand how it’s insulting to say it’s not or to say I don’t think it’s top 20.

You’ve got finals performances by Magic, Bird, Isiah, Jordan, Shaq, Duncan, Wade, Lebron, Hakeem, Kobe and others when you factor in the teams that lost

Maybe I need to go back and re-watch this game, maybe the bubble atmosphere without crowds is taking away from the moment but I’m not seeing this in the same light as you guys and I have zero bias to not want to see it as a great game, again I’m a huge fan of Butler

Baby,

Just name the 20.
Bright
RaptorPride
General Manager
And1: 17,505

Post#45 » by RaptorPride » Mon Oct 5, 2020 5:06 am

Butlers a dawg
I'm sorry for not believing he could do this.
Spoiler:

RaptorPride
General Manager

Post#46 » by RaptorPride » Mon Oct 5, 2020 5:10 am

Dez wrote:Jimmy G Buckets!

The G stands for gets!

I'm becoming a bigger fan day by day. I knew he was good but didn't think he could be the number one option by himself. Man, I love the heart he plays with.
Spoiler:

FreeThrowLine
Veteran

Post#47 » by FreeThrowLine » Mon Oct 5, 2020 5:12 am

goodboy wrote:
FreeThrowLine wrote:
goodboy wrote:He cant.

No point.

Baby,

Just name the 20.

Not sure why you’re calling me baby, but I’m not wasting time with you again, already learnt my lesson last round that you’re set in your beliefs. I write paragraphs and you reply with a couple of words, I’m the one wasting my time

If you think Butlers performance in this game is better than the games put forward by the guys I mentioned above that’s good for you. I didn’t even include guys like Iverson and Worthy, but hey believe whatever you like

Go Heat
RaptorPride
General Manager

Post#48 » by RaptorPride » Mon Oct 5, 2020 5:14 am

FreeThrowLine wrote:
goodboy wrote:
FreeThrowLine wrote:

Baby,

Just name the 20.

Not sure why you’re calling me baby, but I’m not wasting time with you again, already learnt my lesson last round that you’re set in your beliefs.

If you think Butlers performance in this game is better than the games put forward by the guys I mentioned above that’s good for you. I didn’t even include guys like Iverson and Worthy, but hey believe whatever you like

Go Heat

Butler did this to the guy battling for the GOAT title. He also has AD by his side. Who does Butler? Bam? Dragic?
Spoiler:

FreeThrowLine
Veteran

Post#49 » by FreeThrowLine » Mon Oct 5, 2020 5:21 am

RaptorPride wrote:Butler did this to the guy battling for the GOAT title. He also has AD by his side. Who does Butler? Bam? Dragic?

1. He didn’t do it to one guy, he did it vs a team

2. There’s no battle for the GOAT title

3. I’ve never once said that it wasn’t impressive or that the Heat aren’t the underdog and had no business winning

Do people read? I’m saying it’s not a top 2 finals performance of all time AND I don’t think it’s top 20 when you consider how many amazing individual game performances we’ve seen over the course of the finals
Kurtz
RealGM
And1: 15,713

Post#50 » by Kurtz » Mon Oct 5, 2020 5:23 am

FreeThrowLine wrote:
goodboy wrote:
dshearn wrote:

what are the top 20?

He cant.

No point.

I think you're on to something about the lack of crowd making it less magnificent for some people.
Eric Millegan
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,306

Post#51 » by Eric Millegan » Mon Oct 5, 2020 6:02 am

4pointkiller wrote:Butler is the most underrated superstar. Guy gets it done, whether it's points, defense, or playmaking. Better than Durant.

Hasn't gotten it done yet. Where was he in Games 1 & 2?
Check out "Around the NBA with Chris & Eric” on Underdog Podcasts.
Baski
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,950

Post#52 » by Baski » Mon Oct 5, 2020 7:52 am

That's incredible
Dmagic
Pro Prospect
And1: 297

Post#53 » by Dmagic » Mon Oct 5, 2020 7:56 am

Jimmy butler just became that dude
JN61
RealGM
And1: 9,027

Post#54 » by JN61 » Mon Oct 5, 2020 11:19 am

Jim Naismith wrote:Unfair comparison.

Game Score was only recorded as a statistic starting in the 1983-84 season.

Some great pre-1984 Finals performances:

Tom Heinsohn 1957 G7: 37/23

Bob Pettit 1958 G6: 50/19

Elgin Baylor 1962 G5: 61/22

Bill Russell 1962 G7: 30/40 (40 rebounds is not a typo)

Jerry West 1969 G7: 42/13/12

Walt Frazier 1970 G7: 36/7/19

Nice. Thanks for making some research! I do kind of dislike biased factoid like this one where old players just get ignored because how statistical counting has changed.
Pennebaker wrote:And Bird did it while being a defensive liability. But he also made All-Defensive teams, which was another controversial issue regarding Bird and votes.
Zasterror
RealGM
And1: 10,019

Post#55 » by Zasterror » Mon Oct 5, 2020 11:30 am

Context is key. Jimmy did it without any help from his 2 other star players.
TheWitcher
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,195

Post#56 » by TheWitcher » Mon Oct 5, 2020 11:40 am

FreeThrowLine wrote:
goodboy wrote:
dshearn wrote:

what are the top 20?

He cant.

No point.

CrossOver
Starter
And1: 3,416

Post#57 » by CrossOver » Mon Oct 5, 2020 12:18 pm

Read on Twitter

Yeah, I'd say that was one of the most historic Finals performances we've ever seen.

Oh and he did this while covering LeBron.

Read on Twitter
hedo15
Senior
And1: 343

Post#58 » by hedo15 » Mon Oct 5, 2020 12:22 pm

replace paul george with jimmy butler and clippers win the championship

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using RealGM mobile app
Lalouie
RealGM
And1: 10,078

Post#59 » by Lalouie » Mon Oct 5, 2020 12:28 pm

all midrange shots. it was beautiful
michaelm
RealGM
And1: 4,795

Post#60 » by michaelm » Mon Oct 5, 2020 12:32 pm

TheWitcher wrote:
FreeThrowLine wrote:
goodboy wrote:He cant.

No point.

He also played some defense.

Return to The General Board