Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,669

Okoro thinks he should be the #1 pick 

Post#1 » by penbeast0 » Mon Oct 5, 2020 1:53 pm

Does anyone else find it a major disconnect with reality that a guy who averaged 12/4 in college is talking about how he thinks he should be the top pick? What happened to being a star first? I know it happens but seriously?
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,375

Re: Okoro thinks he should be the #1 pick 

Post#2 » by King Ken » Mon Oct 5, 2020 3:18 pm

#1 pick, no but if a team took him #1. It wouldn't be the worse decision you could make. I trust him more at that spot than Anthony Edwards tbh.
OGLife
Lead Assistant
And1: 12,892

Post#3 » by OGLife » Mon Oct 5, 2020 4:01 pm

I'd take Edwards and Vassell over him
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,218

Post#4 » by EvanZ » Mon Oct 5, 2020 4:17 pm

If you are anywhere close to the top 5, you're supposed to say **** like that.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,187

Post#5 » by clyde21 » Mon Oct 5, 2020 4:49 pm

there is a fine line between confidence and delusion, we don't really know which one is this...I'm fine with it as long as he continues to improve internally and work on his game especially offensively.
dolphinatik
Head Coach
And1: 4,134

Post#6 » by dolphinatik » Mon Oct 5, 2020 5:26 pm

could have been taken out of context. Id rather trade for Kevin Knox than draft this guy. I think he could be a great role players he is willing to do what it takes but he does nothing great at the moment besides his elite athleticism.
1. Herro 2. Bol Bol 3. Seko 4. Bruno
unless we trade up for Barrett or trade down for PJ Washington
EMG518
Veteran
And1: 899

Post#7 » by EMG518 » Mon Oct 5, 2020 7:31 pm

dolphinatik wrote:could have been taken out of context. Id rather trade for Kevin Knox than draft this guy. I think he could be a great role players he is willing to do what it takes but he does nothing great at the moment besides his elite athleticism.

Knox is available.
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,247

Post#8 » by Catchall » Mon Oct 5, 2020 7:58 pm

I see him as a top-5 guy personally. I like him more than I liked Jaylen Brown coming out of Cal.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#9 » by Stillwater » Mon Oct 5, 2020 8:02 pm

I think I should have all the most beautiful women in the world begging for my attention but the reality is only 1 is and its too take out the trash and fix the drain
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,225

Post#10 » by doordoor123 » Mon Oct 5, 2020 8:14 pm

EMG518 wrote:
dolphinatik wrote:could have been taken out of context. Id rather trade for Kevin Knox than draft this guy. I think he could be a great role players he is willing to do what it takes but he does nothing great at the moment besides his elite athleticism.

Knox is available.

Knox was the worst player in the league last year
BostonCouchGM
Head Coach
And1: 4,857

Post#11 » by BostonCouchGM » Mon Oct 5, 2020 8:27 pm

penbeast0 wrote:Does anyone else find it a major disconnect with reality that a guy who averaged 12/4 in college is talking about how he thinks he should be the top pick? What happened to being a star first? I know it happens but seriously?

I think he'd best fit for the teams picking 16 through 19 (Trailblazers, Mavericks, Timberwolves, Nets). He can play right away and help a team desperate for defense. Maybe the Pelicans or Kings in the late lottery depending on how the board plays out. Him making this statement is a red flag for me and doesn't help him in any way shape or form.
DevinVassell
Bench Warmer
And1: 850

Post#12 » by DevinVassell » Tue Oct 6, 2020 12:57 am

penbeast0 wrote:Does anyone else find it a major disconnect with reality that a guy who averaged 12/4 in college is talking about how he thinks he should be the top pick? What happened to being a star first? I know it happens but seriously?

Yep, don't like that mindset at all in a prospect. Top pick, my rangdang.

For comparison watch the way Vassell interviews. Comes across as very modest. Talks about being team first as a priority. (3.50)

God Squad
RealGM
And1: 10,165

Post#13 » by God Squad » Tue Oct 6, 2020 9:55 am

OGLife wrote:I'd take Edwards and Vassell over him

Yup. I'd add Wiseman before Okoro also.
Revenged25
Analyst
And1: 1,002

Post#14 » by Revenged25 » Thu Oct 8, 2020 1:56 am

Depending on the circumstances that lead up to him giving the answer I think it's a perfectly fine answer. If they asked him where they think he should go, knowing he's currently projected in the 5-10 range, I most definitely would want the player saying he should be the #1 pick. Shows some confidence and belief he can back it up. If they asked him where does he think he'll end up, then saying the #1 pick was just ludicrous.
Its like when QBs get asked where they should be drafted. If they a 1st round pick they say at a minimum they should be the 1st QB taken if not the #1 overall pick.
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#15 » by Stillwater » Thu Oct 8, 2020 4:15 am

Revenged25 wrote:Depending on the circumstances that lead up to him giving the answer I think it's a perfectly fine answer. If they asked him where they think he should go, knowing he's currently projected in the 5-10 range, I most definitely would want the player saying he should be the #1 pick. Shows some confidence and belief he can back it up. If they asked him where does he think he'll end up, then saying the #1 pick was just ludicrous.
Its like when QBs get asked where they should be drafted. If they a 1st round pick they say at a minimum they should be the 1st QB taken if not the #1 overall pick.

yeah I mean it would be one thing if he was a sap but he easily could fit on any team in the top 5 and so he has a lot of support backing a high selection whether it proves real or not is another story because he aint the full package at all on offense and far from the typical #1 prospect in any draft even this one.
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,281

Post#16 » by babyjax13 » Thu Oct 8, 2020 4:40 am

I have him as the prospect with the highest upside in the draft, so I'd personally do it. My big board is:

1. Okoro
2. Wiseman
3. Hayes
4. Vassell
5. Edwards

Granted I'm no draft expert, but he's a tremendous defender who is deceptive on his way to the rim and seems to have some untapped ceiling per footwork and ball handling that could really unlock a ton for him. As long as his shot becomes passable, I like him a lot. Even if it doesn't, I think he will be a nice role player.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
Little Digger
Head Coach
And1: 2,710

Post#17 » by Little Digger » Fri Oct 9, 2020 2:52 am

I also have Okoro #1 on my BIG BOARD

1. Okoro ( upside = Jimmy Buckets)
2. Wiseman
3. Ball
4. Avdija
5. Vassell
6. Okongwu
7. Edwards ( the most talented player in the draft but by far the laziest)
8. Hayes
ILOVEIT—Good 'ol Bob. Two things that will survive the next apocalypse - Cockroaches and Fitz.
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#18 » by Mylie10 » Fri Oct 9, 2020 4:52 am

Okoro was the best player and hands down leader on that talented Auburn team. He was trying to lead the team in scoring, he was shutting down other teams leaders. He’s a dog and unlike Edwards, his teams win.

Shooting numbers are really poor though. Needs lots of work there.

I think if he was a great shooter, he’d be the top pick.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
TB
General Manager
And1: 1,144

Post#19 » by TB » Fri Oct 9, 2020 4:34 pm

One thing I really love about Okoro is that, while his jumper has some work to do, he was still at 60% from 2 which is absurd. So without a really good jumper and the lack of space that the college game has, he was still able to get to the hoop and score/get fouled at an incredible rate.

He could be a combo of a poor man Jimmy Buckets with a poor man Tony Allen... which makes a rich mans wing.
nolang1
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,749

Post#20 » by nolang1 » Fri Oct 9, 2020 8:33 pm

babyjax13 wrote:I have him as the prospect with the highest upside in the draft, so I'd personally do it. My big board is:

1. Okoro
2. Wiseman
3. Hayes
4. Vassell
5. Edwards

Granted I'm no draft expert, but he's a tremendous defender who is deceptive on his way to the rim and seems to have some untapped ceiling per footwork and ball handling that could really unlock a ton for him. As long as his shot becomes passable, I like him a lot. Even if it doesn't, I think he will be a nice role player.

The one issue with this kind of thinking is that I could say Okongwu or Wiseman with the ability to hit threes like a guard or wing would have more upside than Okoro due to being bigger, and I don't think you can say Okoro is *that* much more likely to become a good shooter.

Return to NBA Draft