ImageImage

2020 Off-season Discussion

Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

MasterIchiro
RealGM
And1: 5,340

Re: The offseason thread. 

Post#21 » by MasterIchiro » Mon Oct 5, 2020 2:25 pm

Hearing noise about LaMelo going #1 so I'm hoping for Edwards or Avdija to fall and obviously we can't control the Warriors' choice at #2. I'm happy with either player. I would be thrilled if Edwards - Avdija don't go 1 - 2 leaving us in a situation where we have to trade Ball, given I love Devonte'. I also hate that he shoots like MKG and I already suffer from MKGPTSD.

What to do about center? I view Zeller as an overpaid bench big but I can see him having more value than MKG or Marvin as an expiring (both worthless). This is a better FA class for teams angling to free up money. I'm quite open to unloading him and unlocking even second round value. I don't want Horford's contract. I'm very open to selecting a center with pick 32. I like Oturu (who may be gone) but also open to Tillman. I'd like to sign Christian Wood.

Trades: I don't see a blockbuster. The roster is narrowly focused on Kupchak's core while remnants of Cho's Reign of Error will fade away without Kupchak ever attaching an asset to unload them but also never positioned to receive one given the knock-off merchandise of fake NBA talent he inherited. I think it would be tough to unload expiring Batum even for a bad contract because he's unplayable.

My ideal off-season is nothing spectacular. We draft Avdija or Edwards and sign Christian Wood. I think one of Okongwu/Wiseman falls to the Pistons and they let Wood walk. I don't see a robust market for any of the current crop of free agents given team needs and shrinking revenues due to COVID-19.

I'd consider it a success if we add Edwards/Avdija + Oturu/Tillman + Wood.

Hold onto Monk to see what he has. Keep Rozier until he's an expiring contract at 17.9 next off-season.

Sorry this plan isn't sexier.
It has been written...
DY_nasty
General Manager
And1: 4,946

Post#22 » by DY_nasty » Mon Oct 5, 2020 3:03 pm

Liver_Pooty wrote:Zeller doesn't need to go anywhere. He'd be perfect coming off the bench.

Yeah, he's a solid center off the bench. I'm just worried injuries are really starting to pile up on the guy. He can't continue to start or play big minutes...
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 8,358

Post#23 » by BigSlam » Mon Oct 5, 2020 5:05 pm

MasterIchiro wrote:Sorry this plan isn't sexier.

I don't think there is anything to apologize for. This is the exact approach I think we should take - just keep it simple and stay the course for now, collect assets and be patient.

Then look at next year as the time to make the splash. By then we should hopefully know what we have in Devonte, Monk, Miles, PJ, Monk, the Things and this years draft pick. Group that with what could be a bumper draft class and some serious cap space with Bats and Zeller coming off the books and that is the time to sexy it up.

The last thing we should do IMO is push the "go" button too early and execute reactionary moves for the now.
B B M F 'ers
amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,233

Post#24 » by amcoolio » Mon Oct 5, 2020 5:27 pm

The best hope we have is draft a stud at 3, one of our players (Graham, Washington, Miles, #3 pick) takes a giant leap and becomes a star, and we suddenly are very attractive to a free agent superstar with plenty of cap space after next season
I don't support domestic violence. Thanks Miles
MasterIchiro
RealGM
And1: 5,340

Post#25 » by MasterIchiro » Mon Oct 5, 2020 6:59 pm

amcoolio wrote:The best hope we have is draft a stud at 3, one of our players (Graham, Washington, Miles, #3 pick) takes a giant leap and becomes a star, and we suddenly are very attractive to a free agent superstar with plenty of cap space after next season

I think Devonte' will lock in his gains so if he repeats his performance next year I can't really consider him a big breakout player. What we need to know is if his breakout was for real and I think it is. The same goes for PJ. The wild cards are really Monk and Miles. Neither broke out but both showcased flashes and it would be a huge boon for the team if one or both put up a breakout season that inspires confidence in their future with this core. We are building around Devonte' and PJ so far and it would be great to add one or two more impact players currently on the roster. Sprinkle in an all-star with pick 3 (maybe Avdija comps with prime Hayward, maybe Edwards though raw can trend towards Donovan Mitchell) plus one more high lotto pick next year and we could really be players next off-season. Cap, nice stable of young potential stars, deep,well coached, good culture, black owner and living legend.
It has been written...
Chapelchilla
Bench Warmer
And1: 867

Post#26 » by Chapelchilla » Mon Oct 5, 2020 8:47 pm

MasterIchiro wrote:Hearing noise about LaMelo going #1 so I'm hoping for Edwards or Avdija to fall and obviously we can't control the Warriors' choice at #2. I'm happy with either player. I would be thrilled if Edwards - Avdija don't go 1 - 2 leaving us in a situation where we have to trade Ball, given I love Devonte'. I also hate that he shoots like MKG and I already suffer from MKGPTSD.

What to do about center? I view Zeller as an overpaid bench big but I can see him having more value than MKG or Marvin as an expiring (both worthless). This is a better FA class for teams angling to free up money. I'm quite open to unloading him and unlocking even second round value. I don't want Horford's contract. I'm very open to selecting a center with pick 32. I like Oturu (who may be gone) but also open to Tillman. I'd like to sign Christian Wood.

Trades: I don't see a blockbuster. The roster is narrowly focused on Kupchak's core while remnants of Cho's Reign of Error will fade away without Kupchak ever attaching an asset to unload them but also never positioned to receive one given the knock-off merchandise of fake NBA talent he inherited. I think it would be tough to unload expiring Batum even for a bad contract because he's unplayable.

My ideal off-season is nothing spectacular. We draft Avdija or Edwards and sign Christian Wood. I think one of Okongwu/Wiseman falls to the Pistons and they let Wood walk. I don't see a robust market for any of the current crop of free agents given team needs and shrinking revenues due to COVID-19.

I'd consider it a success if we add Edwards/Avdija + Oturu/Tillman + Wood.

Hold onto Monk to see what he has. Keep Rozier until he's an expiring contract at 17.9 next off-season.

Sorry this plan isn't sexier.

That is actually the smart plan. No need to do much now except wait this out and keep the powder dry. No fans in the stands for awhile, still have salary to shed and the core is too young to be really good yet.
Next off season we have money galore for a top FA or upper level role players, 2-4 more draft picks to add to the young guys who should be coming into their own and a fresh start.
geraldwallace
Junior
And1: 271

Post#27 » by geraldwallace » Tue Oct 6, 2020 1:55 am

I've seen some Hornets fans suggest to sign him but I'd stay far away from Harrell
MugzZo
Sixth Man
And1: 904

Post#28 » by MugzZo » Tue Oct 6, 2020 4:19 am

geraldwallace wrote:I've seen some Hornets fans suggest to sign him but I'd stay far away from Harrell
I'm easing up on Harrell. I dont think I want him on this team. Christian Wood, would be a guy I look at. If draft Wiseman or Okongwu I look at oubre.
DY_nasty
General Manager
And1: 4,946

Post#29 » by DY_nasty » Tue Oct 6, 2020 2:17 pm

geraldwallace wrote:I've seen some Hornets fans suggest to sign him but I'd stay far away from Harrell

Definitely exposed as Faried-lite
MugzZo
Sixth Man

Post#30 » by MugzZo » Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:35 am

Out of curiosity what is the consensus on oubre and how much would you pay him? I think a 2, 3 ,4 lineup of oubre/miles/pj looks pretty good especially when oubre would be the oldest at 24 with Graham. Thats a good core and that doesn't include our 3rd pick. Hell they could stretch 3, 4, 5
If need be and let monk and Graham play the 1, 2...I didn't even mention rozier...he's looking good on thay contract. Young best available talent should be the mission!
JMAC3
General Manager
And1: 4,160

Post#31 » by JMAC3 » Fri Nov 6, 2020 5:19 pm

Assuming Batum is bought out in 95/100 of simulations and doesn’t play a single minute this season. We need help at guard/wing and bigs. Also not sure we are bringing Bacon, Willy or Biz back. Leaving us with 9 guys and 3 picks.

Guard (3)Graham,Rozier, Monk

Wing (4)- Bridges-Cody Martin- Caleb Martin- McDaniels

Bigs (2)- Zeller, PJ

Picks 3/32/56 - hopefully find a starter Level player and solid rotation guy.

Free agency we have 28 million or so I believe to spend if we release cap holds on above mentioned free agents. Or 21 million on a MAX guy and still fill out bottom of roster.

Free agents targets by position

Guard
Dunn (RFA)- great defender and would fit with all three guards we have now. 2/16 or 3/21? Still just 26 yrs old.

Frank Jackson (RFA)- flashed potential on a crowded Pelicans team. Still just 22 years old.

Wing

Stanley Johnson (UFA)- similar to Bacon, but both could use a fresh start

Center
Biz- solid organization guy, something like 2/10 as a guy who can start in a pinch but also fine being third string

Tristan Thompson- give him a slight overpay on a 1 year deal? Allows us to respend in following year when class is better. Good Vet and may have trade value. 12 million for 1 year might be enough for him to take that role.

Serge Ibaka- similar to Thompson but just a better fit for today’s league. Probably costs more and tougher to get on 1 year deal.
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
CuseMayne
Sixth Man
And1: 1,372

Post#32 » by CuseMayne » Sat Nov 7, 2020 12:18 am

JMAC3 wrote:Assuming Batum is bought out in 95/100 of simulations and doesn’t play a single minute this season. We need help at guard/wing and bigs. Also not sure we are bringing Bacon, Willy or Biz back. Leaving us with 9 guys and 3 picks.

Guard (3)Graham,Rozier, Monk

Wing (4)- Bridges-Cody Martin- Caleb Martin- McDaniels

Bigs (2)- Zeller, PJ

Picks 3/32/56 - hopefully find a starter Level player and solid rotation guy.

Free agency we have 28 million or so I believe to spend if we release cap holds on above mentioned free agents. Or 21 million on a MAX guy and still fill out bottom of roster.

Free agents targets by position

Guard
Dunn (RFA)- great defender and would fit with all three guards we have now. 2/16 or 3/21? Still just 26 yrs old.

Frank Jackson (RFA)- flashed potential on a crowded Pelicans team. Still just 22 years old.

Wing

Stanley Johnson (UFA)- similar to Bacon, but both could use a fresh start

Center
Biz- solid organization guy, something like 2/10 as a guy who can start in a pinch but also fine being third string

Tristan Thompson- give him a slight overpay on a 1 year deal? Allows us to respend in following year when class is better. Good Vet and may have trade value. 12 million for 1 year might be enough for him to take that role.

Serge Ibaka- similar to Thompson but just a better fit for today’s league. Probably costs more and tougher to get on 1 year deal.

Nice breakdown.

With all of the focus on the upcoming draft lately, it is important to consider how we're going to round out the roster. I'd definitely like to take a shot with Frank Jackson. I was happy when we drafted him until it was clear he wasn't here to stay. Seems like a pretty solid backup. Wouldn't mind giving Stanley Johnson a shot as well. Doesn't have great numbers and has had a rough start to his career, but was a pretty recent lottery pick so it's worth a flyer, especially if it means we let Bacon go as I feel like he had a very good chance last year and blew it. I don't see much of a point to an acquisition of Thompson or Ibaka, but would prefer Thompson from those 2. I think resigning Biz to a team friendly deal would be the way to go, and your rationale for why it would make sense makes it very clear. Great for the culture/locker room and brings energy and a veteran presence (along with some rare flashes of brilliance like in Toronto).
Vanderbilt_Grad
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,771

Post#33 » by Vanderbilt_Grad » Sat Nov 7, 2020 1:00 am

Things are about to start moving very quickly.
My picks:
2020 Draft (3rd pick) - Tyrese Haliburton, Devin Vassell, or Onyeka Okongwu
2021 Draft (11th pick) - Moses Moody
MugzZo
Sixth Man

Post#34 » by MugzZo » Sat Nov 7, 2020 7:15 pm

Mods...maybe get this stickied? In 2 weeks this is gonna pretty relevant.
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 8,358

Re: 2020 Off-season Discussion  

Post#35 » by BigSlam » Sat Nov 7, 2020 8:54 pm

MugzZo wrote:Mods...maybe get this stickied? In 2 weeks this is gonna pretty relevant.

Done

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
B B M F 'ers
MugzZo
Sixth Man

Post#36 » by MugzZo » Sun Nov 8, 2020 7:58 pm

BigSlam wrote:
MugzZo wrote:Mods...maybe get this stickied? In 2 weeks this is gonna pretty relevant.

Done

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you!
316Hornets
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,731

Post#37 » by 316Hornets » Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:03 am

The Charlotte Hornets will win their first round series against the Boston Celtics in the 2021 Playoffs
_tijo_
Hornets Forum Mock Draft Co-Champ
And1: 335

Post#38 » by _tijo_ » Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:31 pm

Tijo's Master Off-season Plan

1. Don't trade up. Do not give up assets in this particular draft.
2. Trade down if you can get a future first and stay in the top 8 for Killian Hayes or Okongwu.
3. If no trade down opportunity exists, take whoever is left of Edwards, Ball, Wiseman. In that order.
4. Do not expect that player to start right away this year. Not enough time before the season starts in a month to think they can start right away with JB.
5. Don't overpay for a Center. Gasol, Tristan Thompson, Ibaka... no thank you please. I'll take a Nerlens or a WCS or a Giles if they become available at a reasonable number.
6. Don't trade Batum for a bigger contract. Whoever we trade for is going to want big minutes. And we need to find out if Monk can develop into a star, if Edwards/Ball/Wiseman can develop into a star, if Bridges can develop into a star, if PJ can develop into a superstar. All of them have the arrow pointing up, don't stifle it. Give them every opportunity to be great. Because we will have to decide whether they are worth keeping at a higher number.
6. Offer the QO for Bacon, but let him walk if he wants to go. Willy and Biz also don't stay.
7. Graham, Rozier, Bridges, PJ, Cody, Monk, Edwards/Ball/Wiseman, Martin1, Jalen McDaniels, Nerlens/WCS/Giles, Martin2, and Batum can be our 12 man. I would actually start Monk, and have Rozier play with the rook to teach him how to play basketball in the NBA.
8. Be plucky but outmanned for 2020-2021. Get lotto pick for 2021. Go for it then.
Who I woulda took:
2022: Duren | 2021: Bouknight, Jones | 2020: Ball | 2019: PJ | 2018: Porter Jr | 2017: Monk | 2016: Damian Jones | 2015: Winslow | 2014: Vonleh, Napier | 2013: McLemore | 2012: MKG | 2011: Knight, Kawhi
JMAC3
General Manager
And1: 4,160

Post#39 » by JMAC3 » Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:35 pm

Here is some positive notes:

We could be the Pistons, Wizards, Rockets, Spurs, or Cavs

All teams who I think are way worse off then us right now.

Pistons have no good players really. Blake has a horrible contract. They are probably about to overpay their best young asset in Wood.

Wizards have Beal. But wall contract is horrible and they have no exciting young guys. Rui is okay but nothing to freak out over.

Rockets have one of best players in league but can’t do anything with him because they have mismanaged rest of team so poorly. About to dump Westbrook for nothing after trading firsts to get him.

Spurs thought Derozan and Aldridge were good and are on treadmill with a bunch of backups for young players. Pop is about to retire.

Cavs are about to watch Drummond get empty stats, both their guards can’t coexist and many scouts think Sexton is a bench player. Kevin Love is an expensive fossil nobody wants.

At least hornets cap position looks decent, we have Graham, PJ and Bridges and highest pick among these teams.
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
316Hornets
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,731

Post#40 » by 316Hornets » Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:06 pm

Ideally, we select either Ball or Edwards.

Free agency is going to be tough for us because I feel like rim protecting center is top of the lists. Unfortunately, there's a lot of Big Name cities(LAL, LAC, GSW) looking for the same.

If we can't get a center, then we should focus on small ball lineups. Get a guy that can guard multiple positions like Josh Jackson.

The goal this season shouldn't necessarily be to build a playoff winning lineup, but work on building a gameplan that utilizes our players strengths.
The Charlotte Hornets will win their first round series against the Boston Celtics in the 2021 Playoffs

Return to Charlotte Hornets