Why has Isaac Okoro risen in this draft?

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

kobyz
Rookie
And1: 270

Re: Why has Isaac Okoro risen in this draft? 

Post#21 » by kobyz » Sun Oct 4, 2020 12:12 pm

People see a lot Jaylen Brown in him
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,375

Post#22 » by King Ken » Mon Oct 5, 2020 3:21 pm

Nazrmohamed wrote:
King Ken wrote:
Stillwater wrote:the stats dont tell the story of how well he impacts the game on both sides of the ball.
the spacing in the NBA absolutely opens up his ability to attack the rim off the dribble immensely.
I think he might have gotten a little high on mocks due to less options with similar upside

Facts. He deserves to be high considering this draft class

Well do you think he'd be better than the kid on your team from last yr? Im drawing a blank on the name...the defender you picked at 4.

Hunter is better as a prospect but Okoro has more potential
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#23 » by Stillwater » Mon Oct 5, 2020 7:57 pm

King Ken wrote:
Nazrmohamed wrote:
King Ken wrote:Facts. He deserves to be high considering this draft class

Well do you think he'd be better than the kid on your team from last yr? Im drawing a blank on the name...the defender you picked at 4.

Hunter is better as a prospect but Okoro has more potential

its the age old high floor vs high ceiling argument which exactly what is going on with Vassell vs Okoro.
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
BostonCouchGM
Head Coach
And1: 4,857

Post#24 » by BostonCouchGM » Mon Oct 5, 2020 8:33 pm

it's a really solid draft that should have value throughout the first 50 picks or so. But evaluations are all over the place due to lack of tape, interviews, workouts, etc due to COVID. Okoro is a plug and play glue guy you won't have to worry about on defense. Kinda like Thybulle. But he's also a terrific finisher so not a zero on offense. Maybe being such a safe pick has him in demand? Maybe he will get drafted outside the lottery and isn't really rising after all? I know I wouldn't take him until late lottery. I do see some semblance of Jimmy Butler in his demeanor and on defense. A team that already has scoring would be a perfect fit for him.
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#25 » by Stillwater » Mon Oct 5, 2020 9:21 pm

I mean he is confident which is alright but patting your own back as the top prospect without having the full package coming into the league is only likely based on his view that neither do any other top prospects in the draft really.
If he was claiming it in a better draft class I might be rubbed wrong, but dont mind it at all.
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,874

Post#26 » by BlazersBroncos » Mon Oct 5, 2020 10:13 pm

it's a really solid draft that should have value throughout the first 50 picks or so. But evaluations are all over the place due to lack of tape, interviews, workouts, etc due to COVID. Okoro is a plug and play glue guy you won't have to worry about on defense. Kinda like Thybulle. But he's also a terrific finisher so not a zero on offense. Maybe being such a safe pick has him in demand? Maybe he will get drafted outside the lottery and isn't really rising after all? I know I wouldn't take him until late lottery. I do see some semblance of Jimmy Butler in his demeanor and on defense. A team that already has scoring would be a perfect fit for him.

Thybulle's defensive stats, both raw and advanced, absolutley blow Okoro out of the water.

Isaac's best trait is his ability to get to the FT line, not his defense. He has potential there due to his large frame and great movement skills for a guy with a large frame, but he is by no means a defensive prototype as that wingspan is very average. We can bring up Jimmy Buckets all day, but he is the exception, not the rule. Then again, you have guys like Oubre who have the physical traits to be a freak defender and just dont put it together.

But end of the day, I think Okoro is all potential on defense. He is miles from the plug-play defender Thybulle was. I would be surprised if Okoro ever posted as good a DBPM as rookie Thybulle's honestly. 3.1 is basically insane.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#27 » by Ruzious » Tue Oct 6, 2020 10:18 am

BlazersBroncos wrote:

Thybulle's defensive stats, both raw and advanced, absolutley blow Okoro out of the water.

Isaac's best trait is his ability to get to the FT line, not his defense. He has potential there due to his large frame and great movement skills for a guy with a large frame, but he is by no means a defensive prototype as that wingspan is very average. We can bring up Jimmy Buckets all day, but he is the exception, not the rule. Then again, you have guys like Oubre who have the physical traits to be a freak defender and just dont put it together.

But end of the day, I think Okoro is all potential on defense. He is miles from the plug-play defender Thybulle was. I would be surprised if Okoro ever posted as good a DBPM as rookie Thybulle's honestly. 3.1 is basically insane.

Otoh, has there ever been a wing with the defensive stats of Thybulle?
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,375

Post#28 » by King Ken » Tue Oct 6, 2020 1:23 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:

You are way too obsessed with stats.
shotsquatch
Sixth Man
And1: 3,527

Post#29 » by shotsquatch » Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:08 am

Incredible body. Wide shoulders, powerful arms, strong core, the type of frame that could be molded into a top rate wing defender given the right training. He's got the chops.

Lots of holes in his game on offense. He's a high upside project, and I hope he goes to a team with good player development.
daisytank
Ballboy
And1: 4

Post#30 » by daisytank » Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:40 am

King Ken wrote:
BlazersBroncos wrote:

You are way too obsessed with stats.

You seem way too obsessed with Okoro.
karkinos
Head Coach
And1: 2,058

Post#31 » by karkinos » Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:10 pm

there is a premium value of high end wing defenders, which i believe he can be.
BadWolf
General Manager
And1: 3,238

Post#32 » by BadWolf » Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:54 pm

karkinos wrote:there is a premium value of high end wing defenders, which i believe he can be.

I think the correct statement would be there is a premium value of high end wing defenders that can shoot. MKG was unplayable in the playoffs. Okoro has yet to prove he can separate himself from him.
karkinos
Head Coach
And1: 2,058

Post#33 » by karkinos » Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:02 pm

BadWolf wrote:
karkinos wrote:there is a premium value of high end wing defenders, which i believe he can be.

I think the correct statement would be there is a premium value of high end wing defenders that can shoot. MKG was unplayable in the playoffs. Okoro has yet to prove he can separate himself from him.

well
he's young. few come out of college with a complete skill set. to be honest, between other skills like defense, dribbling, and passing, learning how to hit a spot up 3 is probably one of the low hanging fruit skills that is realistic to achieve for most young players. i mean, to be passable in the nba, he doesn't really have to hit it at a mark much more than ariza did, who also learned how to do it after a few years in the league once he moved to the lakers. jaylen brown wasn't exactly what i would call a great shooter at cal either and look at him now.

having to develop someone into a reliable spot up shooter should really be the last of anyone's concerns imo, especially with the other tools he has to offer.
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,247

Post#34 » by Catchall » Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:18 am

He's a killer athlete, who is efficient and explosive getting downhill, and he can guard 4 or maybe 5 positions. I actually like him more than Jaylen Brown coming out of Cal.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh

Return to NBA Draft