ImageImageImage

Welcome Glenn (Doc) Rivers - Sixers hire new head coach! Now fire everyone else!

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

phillynative
General Manager
And1: 2,682

Re: Welcome Glenn (Doc) Rivers - Sixers hire new head coach! Now fire everyone else! 

Post#141 » by phillynative » Mon Oct 5, 2020 6:30 pm

..Yikes doc said his past team played without a PG or really any playmakers and still was able to have an efficient offense...
phillynative
General Manager

Re: Welcome Glenn (Doc) Rivers - Sixers hire new head coach! Now fire everyone else! 

Post#142 » by phillynative » Mon Oct 5, 2020 6:31 pm

...Will see more Embiid in P&R ...
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,011

Post#143 » by Sixerscan » Mon Oct 5, 2020 6:34 pm

phillynative wrote:Even if Ben goes back to PG i believe we still need another ball handler/playmaker. Imo doc seemed romanticized about the idea of Ben and Biid being young big name talents also what they have done against his teams..So who knows if his presense will be about taking them to another level or riding their coattails and being content with a winning percentage. A regular season team

He’s just saying stuff to get through the interviews. He was a coach of a different team like a week ago I don’t know how much substance can really be expected.
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,667

Post#144 » by Negrodamus » Mon Oct 5, 2020 6:35 pm

phillynative wrote:..Yikes doc said his past team played without a PG or really any playmakers and still was able to have an efficient offense...

Things I like to see: that.

We didn't have any playmakers. Embiid was the closest thing and he needs to be put in better position to make plays, not create on his own.
6ers83
Senior
And1: 195

Post#145 » by 6ers83 » Mon Oct 5, 2020 6:38 pm

When is the presser? If he already had it where can I watch a recording.

Thank you!
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,346

Post#146 » by 76ciology » Mon Oct 5, 2020 6:46 pm

76ciology wrote:
76ciology wrote:“Everyone wants to be like goldenstate, but nobody can shoot like goldenstate then everyone made the mistake” - Doc

He was asked if he will play small. He said the team should be who it is. He pointed out how Lakers even played extra big. And he sees 3-4 line-up where the team can create advantage.

I love this quote

Read on Twitter
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
phillynative
General Manager

Post#147 » by phillynative » Mon Oct 5, 2020 7:00 pm

Negrodamus wrote:
phillynative wrote:..Yikes doc said his past team played without a PG or really any playmakers and still was able to have an efficient offense...

We didn't have any playmakers. Embiid was the closest thing and he needs to be put in better position to make plays, not create on his own.

My thing with that is not having any playmakers eventually hurt them in the end.
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,667

Post#148 » by Negrodamus » Mon Oct 5, 2020 7:05 pm

phillynative wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:

My thing with that is not having any playmakers eventually hurt them in the end.

Yea, but it feels like he acknowledges that they are likely a few moves away from being a complete team, which isn't wrong.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers

Post#149 » by Sixerscan » Mon Oct 5, 2020 7:10 pm

The clippers absolutely had playmakers? Unless you’re using that term different than I understand it.

I thought he just said they didn’t have a point guard.
phillynative
General Manager

Post#150 » by phillynative » Mon Oct 5, 2020 7:21 pm

Sixerscan wrote:The clippers absolutely had playmakers? Unless you’re using that term different than I understand it.

..He said something to the effect of barely any playmakers as well...
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,751

Post#151 » by Stanford » Mon Oct 5, 2020 7:36 pm

6ers83 wrote:When is the presser? If he already had it where can I watch a recording.

Thank you!

It's not worth watching but here it is
kriss73
Analyst
And1: 1,803

Post#152 » by kriss73 » Mon Oct 5, 2020 7:54 pm

Doc Rivers says he and #Sixers GM Elton Brand will work together on personnel decisions

Collaborative approch part II?
Antoher success I suppose.
Adam Silver wrote:"Gross incompetence is acceptable; strategic gaming of a flawed system is not."
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers

Post#153 » by Sixerscan » Mon Oct 5, 2020 7:58 pm

phillynative wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:The clippers absolutely had playmakers? Unless you’re using that term different than I understand it.

..He said something to the effect of barely any playmakers as well...

He’s gotta just be using that as another way to say point guards right? There’s no way he meant like guys that can create shots off the dribble, they had as many of those as anyone in the league.
Skates
Head Coach
And1: 3,771

Post#154 » by Skates » Mon Oct 5, 2020 8:15 pm

As I recall from articles about his departure from LAC he told Ballmer the team was flawed at Center and not having a playmaking point guard with Beverly not really filling that role.
stormi
General Manager
And1: 7,653

Post#155 » by stormi » Mon Oct 5, 2020 8:41 pm

Playmakers as in lead guards that can run an offense, or even point forwards/centers like Lebron or Jokic

Kawhi has never really tasked that role before, with the Raptors a majority of the offensive schemes ran through Lowry and FVV. I felt like Milwaukee had the same fundamental flaw. You aren't winning a championship with a Bledsoe/Matthews type backcourt
Black Mage
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,580

Post#156 » by Black Mage » Tue Oct 6, 2020 1:50 am

phillynative wrote:...He wants to speed up the pace and get them Top 10 in offense...

lol

Wouldn't be hard to do, just do what it takes to get CP3 for Horford. Getting a true PG is the biggest obstacle this team has.
Black Mage
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,580

Post#157 » by Black Mage » Tue Oct 6, 2020 1:55 am

phillynative wrote:...He would like to see Embiid more at the elbow and more movement...

..still saying hes not as concerned of bens shot as everyone else...

Mike keeps pressing him about it lol

Hope this is just what he says in public. If this team continues to believe Ben's shot isn't what keeps screwing them over, then I'm done with this team.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#158 » by 76ciology » Tue Oct 6, 2020 4:58 am

https://thepaintedlines.com/doc-rivers-introduction/?amp&__twitter_impression=true

Doc Rivers

“I love the pieces here; I love what we have to work with.” Said Doc Rivers on the 76ers roster. Rivers noted that Joel Embiid and Ben Simmons had won 65 percent of the games they played together. Rivers demured on weighing in on specifics regarding players’ individual games, including Ben Simmons shooting. “I love coaching, I just love it, but I’m not just going to coach anybody” Doc Rivers on jumping back into coaching so soon. “For me, it’s a job you just couldn’t turn down.” What was almost immediately evident was that this is now Doc Rivers’ team.

On Ben Simmons

“Ben has proven that he can create team scoring” Doc Rivers on Ben Simmons “I’m sure there are things we will work on,” Said Rivers, who talked about team scoring versus any individual statistics. “We have to be a top 10 offense, and we weren’t last year,” Rivers said. His offensive mindset was on display early and often in the press conference. This was in sharp relief of Brett Brown, who preached defense consistently.

On Joel Embiid

“Joel is an amazing talent,” Doc Rivers on Joel Embiid. “I think Joel can do all those things, watching him on film, the last couple of days, it’s exciting,” Said Rivers. “I think he’s going to be a dominant big man for me.”

On Tobias Harris

“We put him in more pick and rolls than he’s ever been in, in his life,” Doc Rivers on Tobias Harris, who averaged 20 points per game with Rivers in Los Angeles before the trade to Philadelphia. Rivers called Harris, “A multi-positional player, you know, he’s a big three. He’s a quick four. That’s how to use them and move them back and forth to different spots.” Rivers also said that Tobias “has a great in-between game, which is sometimes lost in today’s game, and I think is a terrific straight-line driver.

On Embiid and Al Horford playing together

“They have to play together,” Said Doc Rivers on Joel Embiid and Al Horford’s potential fit and starting alongside each other. “but its not a starting lineup; its a 48-minute lineup.”
On Matisse Thybulle

“He is an NBA All defensive player, NOW,” said Rivers of Thybulle, who stood out defensively as a rookie.
On Shake Milton

“I told Shake, if you play like you did against us (Clippers), I don’t need to teach you anything,” Doc Rivers on Shake Milton, who scored a career-high versus the Clippers last winter.

On having a big team in a small ball era

“You have to be the best version of you and not apologize for that” Doc Rivers on the 76ers being big in a league that has tried to emulate the Golden State Warriors. Rivers said that teams wanted to play like Golden State without shooting prowess to win that way. He noted that the Lakers are in the NBA finals, and they had gotten bigger last offseason.

There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#159 » by 76ciology » Tue Oct 6, 2020 5:01 am

Skates wrote:As I recall from articles about his departure from LAC he told Ballmer the team was flawed at Center and not having a playmaking point guard with Beverly not really filling that role.

This was why they lose that 3-1 lead. It’s not on doc. But it’s on their roster.

One thing I’d try was putting Harrell and Zubac together.

But Doc can’t really go big because he was struggling to generate offense. We knew how Paul George went into a slump on offense that he looked like Tobias most games.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#160 » by 76ciology » Tue Oct 6, 2020 6:26 am

Black Mage wrote:
phillynative wrote:...He would like to see Embiid more at the elbow and more movement...

..still saying hes not as concerned of bens shot as everyone else...

Mike keeps pressing him about it lol

Hope this is just what he says in public. If this team continues to believe Ben's shot isn't what keeps screwing them over, then I'm done with this team.

Doc’s position is consistent. I’m not going to force you if you’re not driven to be great or driven to do it. It’s his way of driving you to be great. He’s not throwing you under the bus, but he’s telling the outside world that it’s you who decides to be what you want to be.

He’s not going to force guys to do what they dont want to do or do what they are not good at.

This is why IMO, the Sixers media should let Ben be accountable of what the roster is right now. This roster we have is because of our belief in his potential.

If we’re just going to praise him being a all NBA 3rd team player and finding scapegoats like Brett, then I can bet he’s going to end his season not shooting 3s and averaging his 16-18ppg.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers