Random Rumors and Trade Board General Thoughts Thread

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,337

Random Rumors and Trade Board General Thoughts Thread 

Post#1 » by Texas Chuck » Tue Oct 6, 2020 4:08 pm

The idea here is things you think about that don't really warrant a thread, but you might like to discuss if others have interest. If nobody but me sees a use for this I will let it die and not just be my personal blog I promise. :D
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Texas Chuck

Re: Trade Board General Thoughts Thread 

Post#2 » by Texas Chuck » Tue Oct 6, 2020 4:09 pm

I really think a Russell/Johnson for Westbrook deal is interesting.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Texas Chuck

Post#3 » by Texas Chuck » Tue Oct 6, 2020 4:10 pm

I remember thinking Malik Monk was going to be the better Kentucky guard of he and Jamal Murray. File for crow thread. Still think Fox is better than Murray.
Texas Chuck

Post#4 » by Texas Chuck » Tue Oct 6, 2020 4:11 pm

I really want to see a deal where Richardson goes to Indy, Dougie Buckets and Seth Curry go to Philly, but can't at all figure out how to make that make sense for Dallas. Unless its Dipo. Can't make it work.
loserX
And1: 26,046

Post#5 » by loserX » Tue Oct 6, 2020 4:12 pm

I am very curious to see what the offseason brings as far as player trades.

On the one hand, this is a weak draft AND a weak free agency pool. If your win-now team wants to improve, your best bet is probably going to be the trade market. In a normal world, that would spur movement.

On the other hand, the whole COVID economy still has to play out. Many trades that add talent happen because you also take on money. Are aggressive teams going to be able to take advantage? Will *any* teams be all that aggressive?
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,498

Post#6 » by HornetJail » Tue Oct 6, 2020 4:14 pm

All Westbrook trades should be DOA imo. Nobody wants to offer anything, they just want a top 10-15 player in the league for cap space. Houston didn't make that trade a year ago just to throw him away, along with any chance at getting Harden a title, a year later.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
Godaddycurse
RealGM
And1: 10,201

Post#7 » by Godaddycurse » Tue Oct 6, 2020 4:18 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:I really think a Russell/Johnson for Westbrook deal is interesting.

I think a russell - Horford - Westbrook 3 way is even more interesting :D
Buzzard
RealGM
And1: 7,522

Post#8 » by Buzzard » Tue Oct 6, 2020 4:18 pm

loserX wrote:I am very curious to see what the offseason brings as far as player trades.

On the one hand, this is a weak draft AND a weak free agency pool. If your win-now team wants to improve, your best bet is probably going to be the trade market. In a normal world, that would spur movement.

On the other hand, the whole COVID economy still has to play out. Many trades that add talent happen because you also take on money. Are aggressive teams going to be able to take advantage? Will *any* teams be all that aggressive?

If teams like the Hawks, Hornets, Knicks, Pistons can add good value in this free agency, the deadline trade market could be very active. If they add severe overpays, it will hurt it.

Players like Harris, Gallinari, Bertans etc on reasonable deals could fetch a decent return from a contender wanting to shore up some weak spots.
BAF Pacers: Unleash Trae!

PG Ice Trae
SG Buddy Hield/Luke Kennard/Brandin Podziemski
SF OG Anunoby/Terrence Ross/Kris Murray
PF Richaun Holmes/JaMychal Green/Chris Livingston
C KAT/Mark Williams
Godaddycurse
RealGM
And1: 10,201

Post#9 » by Godaddycurse » Tue Oct 6, 2020 4:19 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:I really want to see a deal where Richardson goes to Indy, Dougie Buckets and Seth Curry go to Philly, but can't at all figure out how to make that make sense for Dallas. Unless its Dipo. Can't make it work.

The feedback i'm hearing from pacers fans are that they have tons of guards already so not sure how richardson fits there unless lamb and/or dipo is going out
Texas Chuck

Post#10 » by Texas Chuck » Tue Oct 6, 2020 4:20 pm

KEMBAtheMETEOR wrote:All Westbrook trades should be DOA imo. Nobody wants to offer anything, they just want a top 10-15 player in the league for cap space. Houston didn't make that trade a year ago just to throw him away, along with any chance at getting Harden a title, a year later.

I love it. Counterpoint -- Houston was willing to move on from Chris Paul rather quickly. I think Houston is definitely open to moving him if they get win now pieces back and get some financial relief for their embattled owner. I don't think they just salary dump him though.

Also, is Westbrook still a top 15 player? I know he did make the 3rd team all-NBA which suggests he's in that mix, but I feel like I could name more than 15 guys I thought were better than him.
Texas Chuck

Post#11 » by Texas Chuck » Tue Oct 6, 2020 4:22 pm

Godaddycurse wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:I really want to see a deal where Richardson goes to Indy, Dougie Buckets and Seth Curry go to Philly, but can't at all figure out how to make that make sense for Dallas. Unless its Dipo. Can't make it work.

The feedback i'm hearing from pacers fans are that they have tons of guards already so not sure how richardson fits there unless lamb and/or dipo is going out

I don't think Lamb should be figured in to the mix. And I think they have some other rotation guys who could definitely be upgraded and Richardson would be an upgrade.

But yeah its definitely partly inspired by the notion that it frees up a Dipo trade while giving them a quality replacement.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,496

Post#12 » by zimpy27 » Tue Oct 6, 2020 4:27 pm

Mavs get: J-Rich

76ers get: Seth Curry, McDermott

Pacers get: Pick 31 (form Mavs)

Sixers and Mavs get players. Pacers get to keep pick 31 and salary relief helps them hold Justin Holiday.
Not the same deal but interesting.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,579

Post#13 » by pacers33granger » Tue Oct 6, 2020 4:30 pm

Godaddycurse wrote:

In that scenario he would fit as a replacement for Doug and Lamb given that he's out. I'd be concerned about resigning him though unless we're moving on from Vic.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,027

Post#14 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue Oct 6, 2020 4:31 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:
Godaddycurse wrote:

I don't think Lamb should be figured in to the mix. And I think they have some other rotation guys who could definitely be upgraded and Richardson would be an upgrade.

But yeah its definitely partly inspired by the notion that it frees up a Dipo trade while giving them a quality replacement.

Lambs apparently on pace to be game cleared by December :dontknow:

But yeah, I’d like Richardson. If we play Warren more at the 4, a guard who could play the 3 would help a lot. If Justin Holiday doesn’t return, we could theoretically need another 2, possibly two. Or if McConnell gets moved. But if Oladipo gets moved I would think we’d need a starting 2 (or 1, with Brogdon moving to the 2) back and prefer to keep Aaron/Lamb as the 1/2 off the bench for a year or two.

Ideally a 2 that has size to play 3 would be nice, if Justin doesn’t return. If he does, that’s him.
kalenclayton
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,716

Post#15 » by kalenclayton » Tue Oct 6, 2020 4:31 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:
KEMBAtheMETEOR wrote:All Westbrook trades should be DOA imo. Nobody wants to offer anything, they just want a top 10-15 player in the league for cap space. Houston didn't make that trade a year ago just to throw him away, along with any chance at getting Harden a title, a year later.

I love it. Counterpoint -- Houston was willing to move on from Chris Paul rather quickly. I think Houston is definitely open to moving him if they get win now pieces back and get some financial relief for their embattled owner. I don't think they just salary dump him though.

Also, is Westbrook still a top 15 player? I know he did make the 3rd team all-NBA which suggests he's in that mix, but I feel like I could name more than 15 guys I thought were better than him.

Giannis, LeBron, KD, Steph Curry, Kawhi, Harden, AD, Lillard, Jimmy Butler, Luka, Jayson Tatum, Jokic, KAT, Embiid, Ben Simmons, CP3 (ironic)

That’s 16 and I feel like I could add a few more.
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,498

Post#16 » by HornetJail » Tue Oct 6, 2020 4:53 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:

They gave CP3 a new contract, and gave him two years. Harden and Westbrook are also good friends, which was not the case with CP3.

And yes, Westbrook is definitely a top 15 player.

No order: LeBron Giannis Harden Steph Luka Davis KD Lillard Jokic Embiid Kawhi are the only 11 guys I think are easily better than him. I may be missing 1 or 2, but there definitely aren't 4.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 20,784

Post#17 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Tue Oct 6, 2020 5:04 pm

I think this draft is going to end up being a lot better than this board thinks it is, both at the top and later in the first round. We lost the hype of the NCAA tourney, but there are still a lot of strong players coming out. And shrewd GMs will take advantage of lots of outside work watching film and scouting to find the guys whose stock hasn't risen because of the lack of national exposure.
cucad8
Head Coach
And1: 1,140

Post#18 » by cucad8 » Tue Oct 6, 2020 5:21 pm

Random thought unrelated to specific players, but more on fans and rebuilding, I really dislike the discussions around a team's window and timelines, and how there is often this expectation that a team should be built entirely of guys the same age. How their timeline is usually at least one year away.
gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,707

Post#19 » by gswhoops » Tue Oct 6, 2020 5:25 pm

MoneyTalks41890 wrote:I think this draft is going to end up being a lot better than this board thinks it is, both at the top and later in the first round. We lost the hype of the NCAA tourney, but there are still a lot of strong players coming out. And shrewd GMs will take advantage of lots of outside work watching film and scouting to find the guys whose stock hasn't risen because of the lack of national exposure.

Agreed, this draft doesn't have a surefire star at the top but there are guys I think will be really good players into the late teens/early 20s
gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,707

Post#20 » by gswhoops » Tue Oct 6, 2020 5:26 pm

I'll see your take and raise you; 80% of trades here where the rationale for the other team is "saving money" are just excuses to add talent to your team for below market rate.

Return to Trades and Transactions