Midw35t
Senior
And1: 564

Re: OFFICIAL Timberwolves Mini-Camp Bubble Thread 

Post#161 » by Midw35t » Tue Oct 6, 2020 9:01 am

Jedzz wrote:
Midw35t wrote:
Foye wrote:
5 picks in a crap draft who might all be worse than Okogie except for the #1. Doesn't sound like a good idea.

I'm not sure why we would have to give up more than Dlo and KAT for that haul.

Personally, I wouldn't trade DLo if KAT wants out. Though I doubt the truth to this.

Truth? Who cares? hypothetical. This is just an option. Giving up Okogie and Culver btw, is just part of the fresh rebuild. They haven't yet proven a shot for this Rosas system, so we use them to create this instant shot at many picks and open roster spots for this first round. The Question is posed, how would you use the picks? That is all.

Ok I'll play this stupid hypothetical.

Ball #1, Deni #5, OO #8, Vassell #10, Terry #17.

#33, so many choices. I'll choose Wiseman here.

Tons of franchises want to develop 6 new players at the same time, and pay them all at the same time.
moonpie
General Manager
And1: 2,684

Post#162 » by moonpie » Tue Oct 6, 2020 5:42 pm

Read on Twitter
moonpie
General Manager

Post#163 » by moonpie » Tue Oct 6, 2020 6:07 pm

Not sure if there's any new footage here

;feature=emb_title
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,821

Post#164 » by KGdaBom » Tue Oct 6, 2020 6:19 pm

moonpie wrote:Not sure if there's any new footage here

;feature=emb_title

I tried to watch, but the music really got on my nerves.
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#165 » by Jedzz » Tue Oct 6, 2020 7:16 pm

Midw35t wrote:

Tons of franchises want to develop 6 new players at the same time, and pay them all at the same time.

Stupid aye? Like rolling into season after season knowing full well you are chasing nothing but a single draft pick kind of stupid?

There is no quantifiable difference between adding 5 top 20 players to three proven role players and seeing how that season would play out from all the seasons we've been watching from this team since the KG prime years. In fact, one could argue there would be more hope. Kind of like when the team had Zach/Wiggins/Towns superyoung and everyone rode on future hope and was excited to see growth. Each season they draft one player they put 100% belief and minutes into and die on the cross from that singular draft choice and rest of the foolish player movements, overpaying just about everyone along the way for what they get. Paying 5 rookie scale deals one or two seasons to try and find a couple real players sounds like a better move to me, a faster rebuilding move to me, if a star player is forcing out and causing a rebuild. Which is why the trade idea was posted. Because of the possibility.

I do find it odd that you hate the idea of paying 5 or 6 rookie scale deals at one time, when everyone has been talking about trying to build a full roster of players that "fit that Dlo/Towns era timeline" and would each mostly cost more. No, it's not a typical path. It's the kind of thing you might do if forced into a rebuild without the guy you had been planning the teams future on.
urinesane
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,882

Post#166 » by urinesane » Wed Oct 7, 2020 12:26 am

Jedzz wrote:
Midw35t wrote:

Stupid aye? Like rolling into season after season knowing full well you are chasing nothing but a single draft pick kind of stupid?

There is no quantifiable difference between adding 5 top 20 players to three proven role players and seeing how that season would play out from all the seasons we've been watching from this team since the KG prime years. In fact, one could argue there would be more hope.

They're only top 20 players in the draft though...

We'd be lucky if they'd be top 390 beyond their rookie deals and even luckier if they somehow became role players.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#167 » by Jedzz » Wed Oct 7, 2020 2:32 am

urinesane wrote:
Jedzz wrote:
Midw35t wrote:

There is no quantifiable difference between adding 5 top 20 players to three proven role players and seeing how that season would play out from all the seasons we've been watching from this team since the KG prime years. In fact, one could argue there would be more hope.

We'd be lucky if they'd be top 390 beyond their rookie deals and even luckier if they somehow became role players.

Sure. Certainly. They could all be busts or top out as bench scrubs. But there is a much better chance they can find a player or two out of 5 or 6 picks in one draft like this one than the single draft pick they seem to endlessly toss away most years. This whole hypothetical was driven by the off-chance recent rumors were pointing at Towns wants out was more than just twitter fuel for a newsy, and I'm staring at this draft seeing there appears to be actual NBA players all over the first round this year. I've been saying that for a while. There are real shooters in this draft, some with two way skills already, many with good size. If forced, I would really choose to do a mega multi team trade like this to mine this draft rather than just rake one team over the coals for years of picks. Just jabbering during this endless wait.

The hypothetical deals brought Rubio back along with Oubre, and keeping Beasley. That's three real players to start from, plus there are a few usable bench guys already on roster. Toss 5 picks from the top end of this draft into the mix and see if any of them can stick. Might come out with a good starting 4 to 5 much faster than anyone anticipated. Whether any of them turn out to be allstars is as doubtful as any pick they've made. But when they've made the wrong choice in the past with one pick, look back at those years and give them 5 choices instead. Think they might have found that star they missed that year? Also, having more then one stops the team from forcing that one pick so harshly. If you've got 3,4, or even 5 new guys it's going to be the ones showing readiness that can be focused on early and no one will freak if the top pick needs time.
moonpie
General Manager

Post#168 » by moonpie » Wed Oct 7, 2020 3:53 am

Read on Twitter
Midw35t
Senior

Post#169 » by Midw35t » Wed Oct 7, 2020 8:13 am

Jedzz wrote:
urinesane wrote:
Jedzz wrote:

Sure. Certainly. They could all be busts or top out as bench scrubs. But there is a much better chance they can find a player or two out of 5 or 6 picks in one draft like this one than the single draft pick they seem to endlessly toss away most years. This whole hypothetical was driven by the off-chance recent rumors were pointing at Towns wants out was more than just twitter fuel for a newsy, and I'm staring at this draft seeing there appears to be actual NBA players all over the first round this year. I've been saying that for a while. There are real shooters in this draft, some with two way skills already, many with good size. If forced, I would really choose to do a mega multi team trade like this to mine this draft rather than just rake one team over the coals for years of picks. Just jabbering during this endless wait.

The hypothetical deals brought Rubio back along with Oubre, and keeping Beasley. That's three real players to start from, plus there are a few usable bench guys already on roster. Toss 5 picks from the top end of this draft into the mix and see if any of them can stick. Might come out with a good starting 4 to 5 much faster than anyone anticipated. Whether any of them turn out to be allstars is as doubtful as any pick they've made. But when they've made the wrong choice in the past with one pick, look back at those years and give them 5 choices instead. Think they might have found that star they missed that year? Also, having more then one stops the team from forcing that one pick so harshly. If you've got 3,4, or even 5 new guys it's going to be the ones showing readiness that can be focused on early and no one will freak if the top pick needs time.

It is just simply stupid.

We HAVE a top 20 player. We just brought in his good friend, who is also on the cusp of being a star. (Both have already been all-stars - not that the name game means a whole lot..)

They played one game together.

We already have 3 picks in this draft, including #1.

Could there be a trade or two? Sure.

The one you proposed is just asinine. Never will happen.

Sure, let us cash in our proven core for the chance at a proven core or the next Shabazz, Flynn, Wes Johnson, Dieng, etc.

I entertained you, but it is dumb.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#170 » by Jedzz » Wed Oct 7, 2020 5:48 pm

Midw35t wrote:

We HAVE a top 20 player. We just brought in his good friend, who is also on the cusp of being a star. (Both have already been all-stars - not that the name game means a whole lot..)

Sure, let us cash in our proven core for the chance at a proven core or the next Shabazz, Flynn, Wes Johnson, Dieng, etc.

Stupid is thinking you have any stranglehold on the reality of this roster, at all. You were probably one of the people claiming Wiggins had to get a Max and before that could not be traded for Butler. I've long stopped bothering to entertain your types absolutism in beliefs. No one is pleading for them to do this, I'm certainly not. If that's your concern, rest easy. We just had some jackalope feel the need to twitterbom us with a rumor that Towns wants out. So it was just a hypothetical of how you could turn that horrible turn of events into a real positive if you had to.

There, I've now entertained your limited point of view for the last time. Now put your limited mind back in your pocket for a while.
Midw35t
Senior

Post#171 » by Midw35t » Wed Oct 7, 2020 6:23 pm

Jedzz wrote:
Midw35t wrote:

Stupid is thinking you have any stranglehold on the reality of this roster, at all. You were probably one of the people claiming Wiggins had to get a Max and before that could not be traded for Butler. I've long stopped bothering to entertain your types absolutism in beliefs. No one is pleading for them to do this, I'm certainly not. If that's your concern, rest easy. We just had some jackalope feel the need to twitterbom us with a rumor that Towns wants out. So it was just a hypothetical of how you could turn that horrible turn of events into a real positive if you had to.

There, I've now entertained your limited point of view for the last time. Now put your limited mind back in your pocket for a while.

moonpie
General Manager

Post#172 » by moonpie » Wed Oct 7, 2020 9:18 pm

Read on Twitter
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#173 » by Jedzz » Thu Oct 8, 2020 1:21 am

Midw35t wrote: .

Ok mr 2017 username who vanished for three years only to show up posting like a banshee one week in 2020. Gee, I wonder who this is.
moonpie
General Manager

Post#174 » by moonpie » Fri Oct 9, 2020 11:00 pm

Read on Twitter
moonpie
General Manager

Post#175 » by moonpie » Sat Oct 10, 2020 11:24 pm

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,917

Post#176 » by Klomp » Sun Oct 11, 2020 12:24 am

moonpie wrote:
Read on Twitter

Important context that needs to be remembered by some here:

Both publicly and privately, Timberwolves officials have backed Towns’ decision to take the trip with Jordyn Woods. Those who have been in close contact with him are understanding of the difficult times he has been through, starting with losing his mother Jackie to COVID-19 in April. Towns has sent out vague references to other family losses throughout this summer, but he has not spoken publicly since well before Jackie passed away.

Until that happens, it’s hard to have the whole picture. What we do know is a 24-year-old young man lost the central figure in his life and has been through it all summer long. And judging by his social media posts, Woods has been a source of comfort for him through a very difficult period.

It makes me think back to Saunders’ reflecting on losing his father and how he said he contemplated quitting the NBA and moving to a cabin in the north woods because he was so lost. In that story, Saunders also tells the story of how important starting a relationship with his now-wife, Hayley, not long after Flip’s passing was for getting him through the darkest days. No matter what happens with Towns and Woods going forward, it appears that her presence has been an integral part of Towns coping with the loss of his mother, whose role in the Towns family cannot be overstated, and perhaps helping him deal with other loss as well.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,821

Post#177 » by KGdaBom » Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:35 pm

Klomp wrote:
moonpie wrote:
Read on Twitter

Important context that needs to be remembered by some here:

Both publicly and privately, Timberwolves officials have backed Towns’ decision to take the trip with Jordyn Woods. Those who have been in close contact with him are understanding of the difficult times he has been through, starting with losing his mother Jackie to COVID-19 in April. Towns has sent out vague references to other family losses throughout this summer, but he has not spoken publicly since well before Jackie passed away.

Until that happens, it’s hard to have the whole picture. What we do know is a 24-year-old young man lost the central figure in his life and has been through it all summer long. And judging by his social media posts, Woods has been a source of comfort for him through a very difficult period.

It makes me think back to Saunders’ reflecting on losing his father and how he said he contemplated quitting the NBA and moving to a cabin in the north woods because he was so lost. In that story, Saunders also tells the story of how important starting a relationship with his now-wife, Hayley, not long after Flip’s passing was for getting him through the darkest days. No matter what happens with Towns and Woods going forward, it appears that her presence has been an integral part of Towns coping with the loss of his mother, whose role in the Towns family cannot be overstated, and perhaps helping him deal with other loss as well.

Nice post. If she wasn't part of the Kardashian posse I would feel much better about the relationship. I believe the Kardashians are toxic.
Mamba4Goat
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 7,937

Post#178 » by Mamba4Goat » Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:02 am

I think my biggest take away from the Bubble is that Vanderbilt will play a larger role than most think, or at least have the opportunity to. Dude was the talk of the town for a bit.
Rest in peace Mamba. There'll never be another Kobe.
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,721

Post#179 » by minimus » Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:19 am

Mamba4Goat wrote:I think my biggest take away from the Bubble is that Vanderbilt will play a larger role than most think, or at least have the opportunity to. Dude was the talk of the town for a bit.

I hope so, my friend. I really like his fit and skillset as point forward.
Dewey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,020

Post#180 » by Dewey » Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:40 pm

minimus wrote:
Mamba4Goat wrote:I think my biggest take away from the Bubble is that Vanderbilt will play a larger role than most think, or at least have the opportunity to. Dude was the talk of the town for a bit.

I hope so, my friend. I really like his fit and skillset as point forward.

Looking at our current depth, there's no reason we cannot get this guy a 5-10 minute role ... if he can grab a few rebounds and take care of the ball, I gotta think he has potential to be a 10-12 guy on a depth chart.
Flip response to Love wanting out, "He has no reason to be upset, you're either a part of the problem or a part of the solution"

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves